Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars Rank Number 1.....2 3 errrr

LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

I cant help feeling it unfare that games like guildwars is taking up several places in the top 10 considering all but one of them is just an expansion that can be run on its own image My sugestion is just to lump them all together into i position and leave it at that.

Comments

• DiamsornDiamsorn Member Posts: 19

Unlike Expansions such as WoW: Burning Crusade

Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall are stand alone games.  You don't have to have Guild Wars Prophecies to run either of the other two chapters.  Thats why they don't call them expansions but rather new Chapters in the game.

Active:
    LOTRO

Retired:
    GuildWars,WoW,EQ,SWG, AO, COV, EQ2

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by Diamsorn

Unlike Expansions such as WoW: Burning Crusade
    Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall are stand alone games.  You don't have to have Guild Wars Prophecies to run either of the other two chapters.  Thats why they don't call them expansions but rather new Chapters in the game.

Noob image They are still expansions no matter what they are called.

• TrinexxTrinexx Member Posts: 21

But what if people are actually looking for that sort of game?? Expansion or not (In this case not), they are still MMOs. You may as well say 'take away all games that are made by the same people'.

Wait...

Damn!
    DARK side.
    Seriously, I meant Dark Side.

Originally posted by Trinexx

But what if people are actually looking for that sort of game?? Expansion or not (In this case not), they are still MMOs. You may as well say 'take away all games that are made by the same people'.

Lol reading comprehension FTW image

I never said get rid of it, i said combine the expansions with the guildwars ranking

• fishercfisherc Member Posts: 134
    Actually guild wars isn't an MMO.

It's a large 3d chat room from which players form smaller games.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    The reasoning behind this is fairly simple.

Nightfall, Prophecies and Factions are all stand-alone games within the Guild Wars franchise. Because none of these games requires the others to run, the newest games, Nightfall and Factions can not be treated like traditional expansions.

I agree that this is a controversial categorization but each game individually meets our criteria, and in the interest of fairness to everyone, will be listed.

Cheers
    Jon "Stradden" Wood
    Community Manager

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Stradden

Nightfall, Prophecies and Factions are all stand-alone games within the Guild Wars franchise. Because none of these games requires the others to run, the newest games, Nightfall and Factions can not be treated like traditional expansions.

I agree that this is a controversial categorization but each game individually meets our criteria, and in the interest of fairness to everyone, will be listed.

Cheers
    Jon "Stradden" Wood
    Community Manager

Fare enough but what happens when the 10th Guildwars Expansion pack is released will all top 10 places get taken up or will someone provide some sort of controll. And also this begs the question what would happen if in the future MMORPG's start doing what guildwars ahve done and create stand alone storyline expansions.?

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679
    All Guild Wars chapters are now in top7 best rated games on this website. I do think Guild Wars is a very good game, but I don't think the expansion chapters should be this high in the toplist. Both add ons are still good, thoughimage
  • UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by fisherc

Stop re introducing this post, PLEASE. We have seen such post too many times now, we already figured that GW is not an MMORPG but a CORPG. WHO CARES!
  • HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Just implement a monthly fee for MMORPG.com and the problem is history.

Why shall we go on rate games seriously "hmm graphics 7, community 6...blah", when suddenly a horde of dont-know-anything-but-GW-and-WoW comes and votes overall 10 without thinking.

/sarcasm

Sorry my english.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by sven101

Stop re introducing this post, PLEASE. We have seen such post too many times now, we already figured that GW is not an MMORPG but a CORPG. WHO CARES!

It is not a mmorpg, but okay we will live with it being listed here ...

But I mean WTF are you guys smoking listing this game 3 times?

It are expansions, stand alone or not, and this also shows again that Guild Wars isnt a MMORPG, cause something like this isnt really doable in a true MMORPG.

So once Guild Wars has 7 expansions no other games will be listed in the top 7?

This is totally wrong, and makes MMORPG.com looks really silly.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

I still cant believe this and how mmorpg.com can think this does not make them look stupid.

How do you think other game producers feel about this?

Think about this when you try to get another interview with a dev ...

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :

I still dont have this out of my system ...

Copy/Pasted from the Guildwars site :

Is Guild Wars Factions an expansion pack or a stand-alone game?

Guild Wars Factions is a stand-alone product. Those who own Guild Wars are not required to purchase Guild Wars Factions in order to continue playing on their game account, and those who purchase Guild Wars Factions may play without purchasing Guild Wars. However, there is a strong level of interconnection between the two games that makes having them both an exceptional experience.

Okay, so at 1st sight, you may have a point in listing these individually ...

Is there separate content in each game, Guild Wars and Guild Wars Factions?

Yes. It is possible for a player to enjoy the contents of either game without purchasing the other. Players who have both games may have their characters travel back and forth at will between the continents of Tyria and Cantha. And naturally, there is content that spans the two games that makes having both campaigns very appealing.

Hmm sounds more and more like the same game to me ...

When I take my existing characters to the new areas of the world, do they keep their items, their levels, etc.?

If you purchase Factions, you will be able to travel to the land of Cantha, with your Ascended characters from Guild Wars (original Prophecies campaign). Inventory items, skills, and other possessions and attainments from Prophecies remain yours and remain useable within Guild Wars Factions.

So I can take all my stuff and use it in the "other" game? Sounds like the same game to me.

It has the same programming code base.

Everyone plays on the same servers.

This is basically 1 game, divided in 3 pieces. If you buy all 3 pieces you have the full game, but it is possible to only play 1/3 of the game if you like.

So why should this game be allowed to get rated 3 times?

While other games that have ALOT more content and expansions are only rated once?

I am sorry that I do not understand the logic and fairness of this.

These stand alone expansions are just expansions like any other expansion and should be treated like this.

Greetings,

Cyberwiz

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by CyberWiz

It are expansions, stand alone or not, and this also shows again that Guild Wars isnt a MMORPG, cause something like this isnt really doable in a true MMORPG.

don't blame mmorpg.com for listing it the way it appears now and guild wars being capable of creating stand-alone games. image

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

Originally posted by Dookz

don't blame mmorpg.com for listing it the way it appears now and guild wars being capable of creating stand-alone games. image

I blame mmorpg.com for listing and allowing to rank the same game 3 times while the competition does not have this advantage.

I guess I will have to find a new site for mmorpg news and game listings cause this one stinks.

Bye

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Dookz

I blame mmorpg.com for listing and allowing to rank the same game 3 times while the competition does not have this advantage.

I guess I will have to find a new site for mmorpg news and game listings cause this one stinks.

Bye

Good... one complainer down, a zillion left to go.

• [riVen][riVen] Member Posts: 1
    Even though the ratings for the current 3 chapters do not show a sign of this, it is possible for different (future!) chapters to be considered substantially better or worse than others. If all chapters are considered one title, these differences could never be reflected in the rating, since there would be only one overall rating, thus making it fairly useless.

Also, the current 3 chapters each have a storyline that can be seen as a complete story on its own -- even though they make one big story together.

An obvious example... The Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit (and more) are 3 different titles, with their own stories, but they take place in the same universe, and can together be regarded as one big story telling about middle-earth. Still, these 3 books would never be listed as one title in any list, would they? They are 3 seperate works, and so are the GW chapters. Deal with it, it's just the way it is.

Originally posted by [riVen]
    Even though the ratings for the current 3 chapters do not show a sign of this, it is possible for different (future!) chapters to be considered substantially better or worse than others. If all chapters are considered one title, these differences could never be reflected in the rating, since there would be only one overall rating, thus making it fairly useless.

Also, the current 3 chapters each have a storyline that can be seen as a complete story on its own -- even though they make one big story together.

An obvious example... The Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit (and more) are 3 different titles, with their own stories, but they take place in the same universe, and can together be regarded as one big story telling about middle-earth. Still, these 3 books would never be listed as one title in any list, would they? They are 3 seperate works, and so are the GW chapters. Deal with it, it's just the way it is.

If they let you play The Burning Crusade without buying a copy of WoW it is a seperate game?

Cause that is essentially what is being said here ...

I just cant understand how you can even think it is fair the way Guild Wars gets promoted here on this site.

Your comparison is flawed.

All 3 chapters are played on the same servers, based on the same gamedesign, just have different stories.

They are more like 3 chapters from lord of the rings, 3 different chapters yes, but still considered 1 book.

It is the same game rated 3 times, there is no other way to look at it.

p.s. I liked this site for so long, cant give it up so easely.

I would consider this to be fair, if there would not be a top 7 on the frontpage of the site...

But now GW removes some games from this list that deserve to be there.

Basically Guild Wars is 1 online world, and also percieved this way by everyone, so again, why is this rated seperatly ...?

I can understand mmorpg.com made a mistake here, but now it is time to rectify this mistake.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by [riVen]

well said.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• WarspineWarspine Member Posts: 105
    IF, guildwars has to take up one spot for each expantion.

I suggest that we make the list top 30, so that you give more room to show something else aswell.

• BriarFoxBriarFox Member Posts: 34

Nightfall,
    Prophecies and Factions are all stand-alone games within the Guild Wars
    franchise. Because none of these games requires the others to run, the
    newest games, Nightfall and Factions can not be treated like
    traditional expansions.

I agree that this is a controversial
    categorization but each game individually meets our criteria, and in
    the interest of fairness to everyone, will be listed.

Cheers
    Jon "Stradden" Wood
    Community Manager

Jon it is time to change your criteria for what constitutes a stand
    alone vs. an expansion because the current situation is seriously
    damaging your credibility.

Guild Wars is a great game and
    since the definition of a MMORPG has expanded there should be no
    problem with including Hub and Instanced style games.  But these
    stand alone expansions cannot be considered individual games in good
    faith.  Many other games include original editions with new
    expansions or packages and I don't see them included on the list as
    individual games.

The other problem with your criteria is
    that content shouldn't matter as much a location.  Do owners of
    these different expansions play on the same servers?  If they do
    or can then they are the same game.  The server; the place where
    the players actually play should be what defines whether the expansions
    are stand alone, not whether you can start a new account with the
    expansion you just bought.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

I agree that GW should only get 1 ranking for purpsoes of the top 10 game list on the home page.

Don't ignore the wishes of the majority of your customers, the people who visit this site and enable you to make money from advertising.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Cheers
    Jon "Stradden" Wood
    Community Manager

uhm...perhaps your criteria needs fixing?  If a game has an exploit, the developers don't say "oh well, in the interest of fairness to those who've gone before, we'll keep it in." No, they fix the flaw.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• Stratage,Stratage, Member Posts: 8
    Is Guild Wars a mmorpg...

Massive Multi Player Online Role Playing Game.

Massive Multi Player - This generally means that the game takes place in one world where much of interaction and game play go on in the same stage that everyone can access. Strictly speaking since game "play" is almost entirely instanced It does not count. Sure you can talk and trade outside of the instances.. but your not playing... if you added a common interaction area to Diablo 2 allowed people to trade within this area.. technically by the standards of this site you would of effectively turned Diablo 2 into a mmorpg.

Online - Well it does have that going for it

Role Playing Game - Besides the fact that this game has one of the lowest roleplaying scores ever. Likely casued the fact that it uses so much instancing... "hey dude I just killed uber dragon number1 !! that rad dude I just did the same thing 3 minutes ago !!"  this sort of thing kills the whole immersion experince. So ya role playing takes a big hit here if you see it at all.

Guild Wars fun yes mmorpg no.

As for adding every expasion to the top 10 list... Come on I play City of Heroes we don't think City of Villains as being a seperate game.. it's just two sides of the same coin.. it's like Blizzard created the Alliance one year and added the Horde the next.. and tried to call it a new game... no.. it doesn't work that way..  hell you use one account to log into both sides... you use the same client... It doesn't matter that it can run independently.. It's still the SAME ENGINE SAME DESIGN TEAM SAME SERVER! Same game.. dress it up however you like to justify making you pay for it. it is still an expasion.

I have been a gamer for most of life I starting way back with a atari. I started playing mmorpg's with ultima online and have never stopped. Now I work as a developer myself. infact i am writing this on my lunch break between bug fixes.

When you rank a game expasion into the top 10 your buying into marketing BULLSH*T.

But whatever that ranking is so messed up it isnt' funny world of warcraft isn't even up there 6 million people can't be wrong it should be atleast in the top 10. and WTF is Ryzom doing up there... I mean god have any of you actually played that game ?? I wasn't impressed. I felt like I was stuck in a really bad sci fi novel and the only way to get out was to kill some malformed pokemon... I could rant all day.. but I gotta get back to work.