Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jap servers in server list up and running?

Comments

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by MX13

As I posted in the Current forum, these have been popping up in the list for the last 6-8months.  They'll pop up, then dissapear for a few weeks only to return again.  They're always Offline though.  I believe they're now in the english list since they had to transfer the stuff from them to the english servers.

These have never popped up before that I or anyone I know have seen. Prove it by posting a link, you know, proof; or don't and prove you're wrong. Or just change your story again...

Look at the screenshots posted at the start, they say June on the calendar witht he pic ;)  So yes, they have been popping up.  Now lets hear you change your story now.

Edit: June, not July

The reason i posted those 2 is because I could verify the dates.  I was showing that they had been listed for awhile.  Now - What I dont have is a screencap where they are not shown.  I have been looking - trust me.

I'm not trying to say anything any which way.  I'm just trying to understand why Japanese servers are listed at all, and if they are tied at all to the latest rumor going around.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Leel

Originally posted by MX13

As I posted in the Current forum, these have been popping up in the list for the last 6-8months.  They'll pop up, then dissapear for a few weeks only to return again.  They're always Offline though.  I believe they're now in the english list since they had to transfer the stuff from them to the english servers.

These have never popped up before that I or anyone I know have seen. Prove it by posting a link, you know, proof; or don't and prove you're wrong. Or just change your story again...

Look at the screenshots posted at the start, they say June on the calendar witht he pic ;)  So yes, they have been popping up.  Now lets hear you change your story now.

Edit: June, not July

The reason i posted those 2 is because I could verify the dates.  I was showing that they had been listed for awhile.  Now - What I dont have is a screencap where they are not shown.  I have been looking - trust me.

I'm not trying to say anything any which way.  I'm just trying to understand why Japanese servers are listed at all, and if they are tied at all to the latest rumor going around.

I have a screenshot from July where they're not shown.  I can post it, but there's no date stamp on it (unless I screenshot it within Windows with the properties window open)

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

I first noticed them on the list a couple months back.  Clearly they are connected to a network somewhere and registered on the login servers to even show up.

This DOES lend creedence to the idea that they've been moved to the USA and are being used for...  something.

If they are, there are 3 spare fully capable SWG servers.  The two Jap servers, and the old Bria (which was decomissioned and was last used as a TC server during NGE testing).  Bria was replaced sometime in 2005, if I recall correctly.  In addition to those they have at least 2-3 more TC servers not counting prime.  TC servers are reported to not be as robust as live servers as far as hardware.

That would be really cool of you Obraik.  I'm trying to put together a scenerio, and that would be really helpful, and yes it is very tinfoilishimage

• koifishkoifish Member Posts: 13
    Something is a brewing, I can sense it.  I thought that those servers had been dead and gone for awhile now, and what was that one mystery server that someone pinpointed in a post in this thread, I count 3 total mysteries from same pic (all at distance of 1 tho)?  Byrt, Windsinger & Kratak all offline about 3 posts up, Byrt link.  Also what if they had already moved the servers from Japan to lets say AK or HI or even Canada?  koi

My opinions are my own, take them to heart or take them with a grain of salt. koi

Do we still ahve a channel browser

It would be cool to get this updated. LINK

Has anyone tried to create a new toon in one of these Japanese servers?  koi

My opinions are my own, take them to heart or take them with a grain of salt. koi

Originally posted by Leel
    Another where they are online
    THAT one is worse than sad for me.  Bloodfin as very light and SO light that it's the recommended server :(

When I started playing SWG Bloodfin was always heavy.  Then medium...  Then light (at the CU).  Then eventually medium again, then back down to light until they artificially pump it and others to medium in the NGE.

Damnit, forgot to ask toonmaker to see if text in pictographs or english?  Or has it always been english?  koi

• DodeceDodece Member Posts: 76

For one I personally do not beleive these are those old servers. Like I have said on numerous forums those servers have probabally long since been sold. They were old, dated, and had seen alot of use. While to a smaller company they might be highly useful. To EA, and SOE they are dinosaurs. A good company dosen't mothball equipment they sell them off to recoop just a few more cents.

That being said what these two servers showing could mean is that they are testing some implementation. I am personally thinking that they reactivated the japan transfer protocols, and do not have the time to waste hideing them, or even renameing them. The system is set up to recognize there are two servers in japan, and is hardcoded for that. I suppose if testing proceeds the servers would get proper names, and have the information altered accordingly.

That being said this may be a sign that they are prepareing to consolidate servers, and I see two scenarios. In both scenarios you do need to put online atleast a couple clean servers.

The first scenario is they use the two empty servers to jumpstart the consolidation process. They need to transfer characters somewhere, and if they are diehard NGE. They have to accept they are not going to get vet accounts back. They simply transfer accounts to the empty server probabally eight servers worth to one. Then they clean the empty servers, and use as needed. They probabally keep one server in europe, and the two new ones in the U.S. I simply do not see a need for more then three servers for the NGE. Now they have cleaner easier to maintain servers, and thus far easier to sunset the game.

The second scenario is that they just dump all the NGE players into two servers straight up. Chances are any NGE loveing europeans will get the shaft. That way they can implement a new system on the old servers be in new, or a reiteration of a old system. This way they avoid grief from the few who so love the NGE.

I ignore the third option of them being classic servers, because two is not enough. SOE would have to go buy more servers. Which they would not want to do. You can fit all the NGE playerbase easily into two servers, but dropping the vets into two would be a disaster. You realistically need atleast a dozen to contain that volume.

Anyway my two cents. Could be a sign they are getting serious about doing what they have to do one way or the other. Be afraid NGE players either way.

Actually the Jap servers are NEWER than the other ones (except Bria which was replaced around the same timeframe).  I know for a fact that Bloodfin is actually the oldest server hardware still going (it and Bria were two of the original beta servers), so they are circa 2002 or older.

The Jap servers were launched in late 2004, so those servers are at least 2 years newer than any live server except Bria.

Contrary to the people who say the servers would be more expensive to ship to the US than they are worth, consider that Sony ships tens of thousands of tons of stuff to the US from Asia all the time, throwing a server onto one of their chartered ships to bring along would cost them nothing.  Tagging along on a Sony trans-Pacific ship was probably how they got to Japan in the first place.

So what your saying is the possibility of placing all NGE players into the Japanese servers, thus giving them what they (NGEs) are demanding, all condemed housing and crap we abandoned wiped out and free transfer service.  Then the possibility of the old names servers being converted back to preCU?  I kinda like this philosophy, definately doable for me..  koi

Originally posted by koifish
    So what your saying is the possibility of placing all NGE players into the Japanese servers, thus giving them what they (NGEs) are demanding, all condemed housing and crap we abandoned wiped out and free transfer service.  Then the possibility of the old names servers being converted back to preCU?  I kinda like this philosophy, definately doable for me..  koi
    There aren't enough NGE players left to really populate more than 2-3 servers like they used to be.

Check out the server pop screen in the opening of this Pre-CU tribute video:

Pre-CU Medley

Bloodfin
    Ahazi
    Corbantis
    Eclipse

VERY HEAVY...  Bria  EXTREMELY HEAVY...

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Here is the screeny from July

Many thanks Obraik.image

So much for my theroy that Obraik is Virrago and Pirrg is GarVa :)

I still think that Pirrg is GarVa though :)

• kain-iiikain-iii Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by Wildcat84

Pre-CU Medley

Bloodfin
    Ahazi
    Corbantis
    Eclipse

Wow the ducks are making some progress. Combat is shaping up.

Originally posted by kain-iii

Pre-CU Medley

Bloodfin
    Ahazi
    Corbantis
    Eclipse

Wow the ducks are making some progress. Combat is shaping up.
    Hmm, didn't realize that was in there.  Just found the server load screens.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

So much for my theroy that Obraik is Virrago and Pirrg is GarVa :)

I still think that Pirrg is GarVa though :)

Obriak isn't any of those fools.. he has people skills.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Server Byrt is old school.  Didn't knwo if anyone actually remembered.   Everyone made big deal about them  like 6 months after launch.  It turned out to be nothing, which is also my bet for the Japan servers.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well even if you go back to "June" that's still not 6 months.. or 8...

Like I said I had never seen them there before /shrugs.

June...July.. August.. Sept.. Oct..

June as the only reference you can give me is.. 4 months ;p

This was my short ramble and please take it in jest.. cuz I mean I don't have anything against anyone here.  I think most of us have more fun bantering here than most places.  With a few exceptions...

besides rumors aka gossip is usually more interesting than reality.

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    oh! another rumor...........

Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Baldur's Gate(TM) and Baldur's Gate II(TM). Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online(TM) as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts

ok guys - take a guess as to what BioWare Austin is working on.  Just saying - if you had to guess.