Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Separation of Church and State in Australia

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

This is interesting!!   

As well as being one of the world’s most conservative countries, Australia is also one of the world’s most secular countries so the announcement below is more about expanding Christian awareness in Australian life than anything else:

“Chaplains will be posted in schools across Australia under a federal Government plan to provide students with greater spiritual guidance. Prime Minister John Howard will today unveil details of the $90 million national chaplaincy program, which also aims to give support to students during times of grief. The initiative, which was immediately criticised for discriminating in favour of Christians, was approved by Cabinet earlier this month.

Australia has no first amendment to be perversely interpreted by its High Court so the only opposition to the above move will be political, not judicial. Given the still considerable Catholic connections of the Australian Labor Party, it is only minor parties such as the Greens who seem likely to kick up much of a fuss about the policy.

Under the plan, government and non-government schools will be able to apply for a grant of up to $20,000 a year to employ a chaplain.

The federal Government wants to encourage schools to spend more time developing the ethical and spiritual health of students.

SOURCE

Comments

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335
    I'd bet most countries don't have a law seperating church from state. Though it seems like a giant waist of money and a step back to me.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Blessed be the Ori.....err sorry wrong thread.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

Actually, it's

Hallowed are the Orie  :D

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    I wonder how many books $90 million could buy?
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    I agree with you on that one tetsul

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by tetsul

how many lives could be saved with that  $90 million?
  • WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Originally posted by tetsul
    how many lives could be saved with that  $90 million?
    How many beers could i get for $90 million? Get your priorities straigth, mister.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well the last time I made the statement on these forums that Australia was at best.... A Benevolent Dictatorship based Christian Theocracy. I was bagged from pillar to post. Yet clearly at least a few of you have worked out that Im closer to the truth than most people would like to believe.

Let me explain.

At the begining of every sitting of State, Federal and Local Government, EVERY sitting. There is a reading before they start and it goes like this.

"Oh Lord we humbly beseech thee to vouchsafe they special blessing on this parliment and prosper our deliberations to thy greater glory and to the true welfare of the Australian people." Then they read the Lords Prayer, then they start.

Now have a close look at that. It says "Prosper our deliberations to thy greater glory". So they state at the beginning of every Government meeting that the PRIME purpose of that metting is to make God more Glorious. Then later if they get time, they will do something for the people too, nice of them really.

If thats not a Theocracy..... then WTF ???

All Government deliberations have the primary purpose of enriching a christian god. Sure sounds pretty damn theocratical to me.

For anyone that wants to debate this with me let me warn you.... I didnt have to google that statement. I know it off by heart because I have been listening to it and puking for about 15 years now. Because I listen to EVERY sitting of Federal Parliment on the radio and have done for as long as I can remember. I know this argument 11 ways backwards and my views are basically fixed now.

Let me throw in a few more gems....

Most of the front bench of the current government attend the most radical evangelical church in Australia, known  as the "Hillsong Church", they are tounge speakers and the whole bit....say no more...

The Prime Minister and the Minister against Workers... I mean for work place relations.... has just introduced a private members bill that puts a "chaplin" in all schools. They say the school can determine the denomination of the "chaplin" but that the Gevernment reserves the right to refuse appointment of someone they feel is "innapropriate" (read not christian)

We present ourselves as a secular democracy, yet nothing could be further from the truth. We are a christian version of Iran on a good day......

Its no wonder Muslims feel so desperately unrepresented and unsupported in this climate.

I was in a kebab shop the other day and I know the Turkish poeple that run it quite well. The family are Muslims. The woman that runs it was telling me about how she got a letter from the school the other day saying "her son had not attended in over a week", yet as she explained, she drops him at the gate hersefl each morning.

As it turns out when she asked him what was going on, he told her he had been hiding in a park down the road each day to avouid being taunted and threatened for "looking like a terrorist". This kid is 13 years old.

Right now Im about as closed to being ashamed of my nation as I have ever been.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Originally posted by Razorback

At the begining of every sitting of State, Federal and Local Government, EVERY sitting. There is a reading before they start and it goes like this.
    "Oh Lord we humbly beseech thee to vouchsafe they special blessing on this parliment and prosper our deliberations to thy greater glory and to the true welfare of the Australian people." Then they read the Lords Prayer, then they start.

Really? I thought the starting prayer was "Lord, send us thou perfect mark. Thy children need a big score to pay off thine probation officer."

Hey, the thread was getting dangerously close to being serious.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    The united states should pass a 90$ dollar pie act...pie for the masses

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by Zyke

Actually, it's
    Hallowed are the Orie  :D

Yea but once one of the followers said blesed i think. image

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by Zyke
    I'd bet most countries don't have a law seperating church from state. Though it seems like a giant waist of money and a step back to me.
    Yes, didn't Jefferson have quite the genius and set of balls to stand up and declare that the seperation of church and state is a smart thing to have? 

• LilithIshtarLilithIshtar Member Posts: 667

As it turns out when she asked him what was going on, he told her he had been hiding in a park down the road each day to avouid being taunted and threatened for "looking like a terrorist". This kid is 13 years old. Right now Im about as closed to being ashamed of my nation as I have ever been.

Wtf? I wouldn't go to school either than. Kids are so cruel to eachother it's saddening. And they learn it from adults, thus making it worse.

This world of ours is going down the shitter, and fast. And it makes me sick to know we have people like that breeding too.

Bah..

Independant, Shinto, Lesbian, and Proud!

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by LilithIshtar

As it turns out when she asked him what was going on, he told her he had been hiding in a park down the road each day to avouid being taunted and threatened for "looking like a terrorist". This kid is 13 years old.
    Right now Im about as closed to being ashamed of my nation as I have ever been.

Wtf? I wouldn't go to school either than. Kids are so cruel to eachother it's saddening. And they learn it from adults, thus making it worse.

This world of ours is going down the shitter, and fast. And it makes me sick to know we have people like that breeding too.

Bah..

Its my long considered opinion that this stuff filters down from the top.

When the peasantry see the Government favouring one skin colour, one set of values, one set of beliefs and projecting that view overseas with violence. Its no surprise they consider it ok to do the same at home.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon