Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like WoW, you're going to love Vanguard

Can't really say why, you'll just have to trust me on this one. Imagine WoW with non-cartoony graphics, boats that you can control and craft yourself, flying mounts, horses at low level and player housing. Ok I guess I can say why, but there's so much more.

Comments

• SerenikillSerenikill Member Posts: 45
    hehe, VG fans generally don't like there game being compared to WoW... I have to say that I was pleasantly shocked to see that this is a compliment to the game and not an insult and I applaud you for that.

I assume you mean all the good things from WoW, with a lot less of the bad.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

It's nothing like WoW. Nothing.

• happilpiehappilpie Member Posts: 50

If its not like WoW I'll like it.....when you can almost pull off lvl 30 in 1 week of playing a game its too easy for my tastes.

I want something with a challenge and big raids like EQ had.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I rarely have people compare those two, really. Since I cant say, maybe you are right. Mabye not. I kowtow for the original impression and the courage, tho. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SerenikillSerenikill Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by happilpie
    If its not like WoW I'll like it.....when you can almost pull off lvl 30 in 1 week of playing a game its too easy for my tastes. I want something with a challenge and big raids like EQ had.
    We know the leveling will be a lot slower then WoW and there will be more group content... and that the world is bigger, no instances. So there is a lot we know that is different then Wow. But WoW wouldn't be where it is today if it didn't do some things right. I don't like the game but if it has the ease of use and fun factor that WoW has that is good. Hopefully the fun factor will last much longer in VG and VG will give you more reasons to stay then... uhhh... better gear? Looks like it will.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by anarchyart
    Can't really say why, you'll just have to trust me on this one. Imagine WoW with non-cartoony graphics, boats that you can control and craft yourself, flying mounts, horses at low level and player housing. Ok I guess I can say why, but there's so much more.

Ok, you need to explane yourself.

What you posted was like walking upto someone and saying "Hay, i know somthing about your girlfriend, but i cant tell you".

Come clean.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• happilpiehappilpie Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Serenikill

Originally posted by happilpie

If its not like WoW I'll like it.....when you can almost pull off lvl 30 in 1 week of playing a game its too easy for my tastes.
    I want something with a challenge and big raids like EQ had.

We know the leveling will be a lot slower then WoW and there will be more group content... and that the world is bigger, no instances. So there is a lot we know that is different then Wow. But WoW wouldn't be where it is today if it didn't do some things right. I don't like the game but if it has the ease of use and fun factor that WoW has that is good. Hopefully the fun factor will last much longer in VG and VG will give you more reasons to stay then... uhhh... better gear? Looks like it will.

Although gear was a reason to raid, my biggest reason was because it was just simply amazing to me to see lots of people (sometimes hundreds literally) working together to reach something and taking it down....
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Copeland

Sorry, Cope. Can't say much more at this time, but you're wrong. Re-read my O.P. for insight.

Bloodworth, I just can't say more. Obviously I can say that the levelling will take a lot longer, as will travel. Brad is a smart mother I can tell you that, so is his staff.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489
    It's nothing like WoW. I hated WoW...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364

So Vanguard isn't a game where you kill fantasy monsters.  Loot them to get in game wealth or to upgrade equiptment.    I take it  you don't gain levels of 'power' in Vanguard either.    Also NPCs in this game must not give out quests for you to do. 

Sarcasm off.   Vanguard is VERY similar to EQ, EQ2, WoW,  DAoC and other games of the type. 

It is nothing like EVE.

Originally posted by Porfat

So Vanguard isn't a game where you kill fantasy monsters.  Loot them to get in game wealth or to upgrade equiptment.    I take it  you don't gain levels of 'power' in Vanguard either.    Also NPCs in this game must not give out quests for you to do. 

Sarcasm off.   Vanguard is VERY similar to EQ, EQ2, WoW,  DAoC and other games of the type. 

It is nothing like EVE.

Well, then based on your over-simplified discription, EVERY MMO is like WoW... hell, Hello Kitty's Adventure Island is like that for the most part, even Toon Town. Please...

If you're going to make an arguement, do it based on specifics. Otherwise we'll be back here arguing about how Vaguard is like Frogger. They both take skill to level, the more you advance the harder they get, it's fun to play with friends but can be soloed, rare loot drops in hard to reach places, you can drown if you miss jumping on the log, your wrist will begin to hurt after an hour of play...

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

*wink*

You have to read between the lines on this post. One thing we know about Anarchyart is that he is not the least bit hesitant to express his opnions. image So if he, for the first time ever, "can't say any more", something is holding him back -  like an NDA. And of course he can't be an NDA squealer because he has said many time they are all Satan's spawn.

Grats on getting in man and I'm glad you like it so far. Check back in a month ....

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152
    For sure vanguard is going to have a lot of aspects for their predecessors, like EverQuest had from his predecessors. But I agree with anarchy, people that liked world of warcraft are going to love Vanguard, I saw it in E3 and it is freaking amazing, plus there will be similar aspects of Vanguard with world of Warcraft but this time done by professionals and not by Ameteurs in the mmo industry (/points blizzard). Old EverQuest players are going to love it and the new generation of mmorpgs players will also love it.

I have not doubts that Vanguard is going to be a game of more than 1M subscriber and maybe like some magazines said before: "The WoW killer" of course that if SOE do his part of the job well.

Dimitrio Darkblade
    Founder Leader of Vitae Essentia
    http://www.veguild.org

• DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152
    There won't be open beta, but there's going to be a huge beta phase wihout the NDA agreetment. SIGIL said about adding more than 15k players.

Dimitrio Darkblade
    Founder Leader of Vitae Essentia
    http://www.veguild.org

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Can you answer one thing for me? Is combat as slow as it looks in the official videos?

In many of the Brad released videos I see a dual wield player standing there rocking back and forth waiting to swing. I hated just standing there in WoW waiting for my 3.8 weapon to swing, if my rogue had been the same... Put that together with mobs that have too much life and it wasn't a pretty scene. In the videos it appeared to take 2x as long as WoW to kill dungeon mobs. image If combat is slower than WoW, it will be a huge turn-off. The mobs didn't look challenging, just clunky and slow to kill.

One thing I think game makers under-value is the appearance of activity. I remember in SWG with my slow rifles, sure I would fire one shot every 3 seconds...but it would shoot a bunch of visible beams for 1.5 seconds. To me *pew-pew-pew-pew-pew* after 1.5 seconds was way better than *pew* after 3 seconds. image

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

Can you answer one thing for me? Is combat as slow as it looks in the official videos?

Combat is based on the Player & Creature Speed. The faster the Player gets at swinging their weapon & using abilities, the faster combat is. It's the same for MOBS, so you do need to be careful...

If you're looking for a simple answer, combat gets quite crazy & fast paced as you advance. Oh, and this is all commen info from the OF's...

So just from this thread: Leveling will be slower. Travel will be slower. And there will be more group content?

Because of statements like these from Sigil and other sources, myself and a few friends I play with really aren't that excited about the game. We all are kind of afraid to play without an open beta or a demo. 3 of us got sucked into EQ2 when they added PvP, because we liked the way Trial of the Isle played. One guy disliked it so bad he quit after about a month. Me and the other guy lasted another week or two, but we couldn't duo anything at that level. We joined a fairly large guild a little bit in, but noone would ever help with all of the content that required at least 5 people. I understand Vanguard will be one big world, that will be huge after the 2 foot high walled zones in EQTrash. But one huge thing I liked about WoW was solo to small group content everywhere.

Don't even get me started about entire evening AFK during my EVE trial, due to travel time...

Originally posted by MX13

Combat is based on the Player & Creature Speed. The faster the Player gets at swinging their weapon & using abilities, the faster combat is. It's the same for MOBS, so you do need to be careful...

If you're looking for a simple answer, combat gets quite crazy & fast paced as you advance. Oh, and this is all commen info from the OF's...

Okay, thank you. I thought the videos were of level 20 or 40 characters, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

So just from this thread: Leveling will be slower. Travel will be slower. And there will be more group content?

1. Leveling is relative.
    2. Travel is slow because of the size of the world. Traveling itself is fast, but when you want to travel to the oppiste side of a world that takes 24 Gigs to create, it takes a while...
    3. You can Solo, as said many times, but like any game, it's easier to play in groups. Group variety is also VERY valuable. Content is not an issue. The world is huge, and already has quite a bit to do. I would be amazed if anyone would run out of content with all of the things to do in this game...

Originally posted by MX13

Okay, thank you. I thought the videos were of level 20 or 40 characters, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

NP, and no, you remember correctly, but that was a very early stage of combat tweaking. They've sped up combat since then.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

let me just say that vanguard is a rpg game, i think what you may be looking for is more of a action game. judging by the available information it is not going to be fast paced combat.

it may be similar to eq2 except more strategic, to someone that is looking for fast paced action packed combat i think it may seem a bit slow..... here is a quote from the faq.

Gameplay will be a balance between the two. MMOGs are not twitch games, but they also don't need to involve boring encounters where you turn on auto-attack, sit back and watch. We plan on adding quite a bit of excitement and decision-making to combat and other gameplay areas. We want you to be actively involved in your characterÂ’s movements, advancement, and actions within the game.
    Source: Official FAQ

Combat is reactionary. You can react in many ways. To list a few:

Detect errors in your opponent's melee attack, and defend against it. This will allow you to counter attack. If your defensive target is in trouble, you can choose to rescue him or intercept the attack. Other members of your party can create openings for you to exploit. you can do the same for your allies. The attacks that are made in response to an opening will be more effective than standard attacks. Work sympathetically with your party members to create powerful spells. Perceive and counter incoming NPC spells. Choose your method of countering. Create an attack chain that is made of openers (basic attacks), Bridges (more powerful attacks) and finishes (Extra powerful attacks)

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/faq.php?faqid=125

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    I played it, sooo much came straight outta WOW.

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

HA HA HA.......

Thats rich.

Like saying "This game is just like WOW but in a good way" LOL

You kill me you really do......

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Ok I think its getting a little obvious who is in the Beta etc etc....

Please take more care with this stuff guys, our NDA rules are not a joke.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

This discussion has been closed.