Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom Ring? Wheres the hype?

Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Granted I didnt like Ryzom when I tried it, however I didnt give it much of a chance.

I know a lot of folks here love the game and have a hell of a lot to say about it.  Its rated fairly high also.

Now, theres Ryzom ring (a new evolution of Saga of Ryzom) and the way I understand it players can create content?  To what extent can they create content?  Is this NOT a first for an MMO?  If so, why the hell aren't all these Ryzom fans speaking about it more?

I mean every month Eve is tooting their horn about player login records, and here we have what looks to be the ultimate sand-box MMO and nobody is saying really anything about it?

so I want to know more from the gamers here who have tried it out.  explain a bit about its mechanix.. hype it up a bit because this seems to be something ground breaking (at first glance that is..)

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Comments

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    When the fanbois are quiet - is the sound of something going terribly wrong.

So i guess rayzom players are quite unimpressed/disapointed with ring. I posted a topic long time ago asking for some ring impressions, but i got almost no answers, or only vague ones.

As for perspective of non player. I know there is a quite big issue , with having to actively (be in the adventure) host the adventure, in order to have players play it. Also there is no way to advertise it. Adding the fact that you get no exp,reward from custom adventures... I think it was a waste of time.

The new hype is ryzom ring is good for the GMs that will use it to make content for events.

So what does it mean? Navrax spent a year advertizing a tool for making content in game? A tool thay should have from the get go...and if they didnt, well that explains why ryzom has such lack of content...

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Very few Ryzom players frequent MMORPG.COM, as is evidenced by the very inactive SOR forums here. One major reason is, we don't have threadlock/deletion problems over at the SOR forums, so there is no need for an alternate site (as there is with games like SWG, where the board mods are constantly locking and deleting any threads they don't like). Ryzom's players are, by and large, happy with the game and busily playing it, rather than posting here.

As for the Ring... the Ring is a very large, complex, intricate toolkit, and the reason most people aren't talking about it is, we're all still trying to absorb how to best use it and figure out what to do with it in our own way.

From what I have seen of it the Ring is great but I just have not had time to play with it myself. That I have not should not be taken to indicate anything other than that I have other personal priorities... and should not be viewed as an indictment against the Ring itself.

Would you prefer people who know nothing about it to hype it, or just shut up about it until we've had time to actually absorb the thing? I personally prefer the latter.

C

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    Alright you want some talk about it?

The Ring is superb, I have played with it extensivly and the tools are very powerful yet very easy to use.  Nevrax are still bringing out the reward system and rating systems among other things, so there is more to build on.  It is a very nice toolset and well worth giving a try, you get access to the editor on the free trial too :)

Just because we are quiet doesnt mean we dont like it.  Its actually generally the opposite in the community, its very successful and the number of people playing Ryzom has shot up from what I have seen.  They've even opened a 2nd English language server.

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Chessack

Very few Ryzom players frequent MMORPG.COM, as is evidenced by the very inactive SOR forums here. One major reason is, we don't have threadlock/deletion problems over at the SOR forums, so there is no need for an alternate site (as there is with games like SWG, where the board mods are constantly locking and deleting any threads they don't like). Ryzom's players are, by and large, happy with the game and busily playing it, rather than posting here.

I don't buy that argument. The faithful evangelize.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Originally posted by ianubisi

Originally posted by Chessack

I don't buy that argument. The faithful evangelize.

I think Kibs is correct - most people in Ryzom play and post there and not here.  I played it for about 6 months, then quit when they added PvP.  I played again the last week or so when they added the 15 days to show off the Ring.  Unfortunately, while it seemed to be a very intuitive tool to use, I simply didn't have enough time to do more than place a few preditors/herbavores and NPCs.  I didn't see many other offerings from other players available, either.  While I greatly enjoy many things about Ryzom [crafting <to a degree>, harvesting, skill-based], I don't think that the Ring is really going to add anything...as far as I can tell, things done in the Ring have no effect on your main game character anyway.

Bottom line:  the Ring is pretty, but basically useless.

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

I just can't finish my scenarios! I think I'm editing my 3rd one new and I realize how hard it is for developers to make a storyline that should feel locical no matter how many players there are and no matter at what stage of the story they enter.

The ring gave us back the invasions again, there has been official events in the Ring. Sorely missed giant invasions with many hundred kitins coming toward the players like in Starship Troopers.

There are still questions about the ring, ring rewards (being implemented soon) and trading and stuff. Why don't you give it a try yourself, time and diskspace is all it takes.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by Kibs

The Ring is superb, I have played with it extensivly and the tools are very powerful yet very easy to use.  Nevrax are still bringing out the reward system and rating systems among other things, so there is more to build on.  It is a very nice toolset and well worth giving a try, you get access to the editor on the free trial too :)

Just because we are quiet doesnt mean we dont like it.  Its actually generally the opposite in the community, its very successful and the number of people playing Ryzom has shot up from what I have seen.  They've even opened a 2nd English language server.

thanks!

honestly I had no idea it was still being molded, but thats a great thing considering that it seems like the community is getting very much involved with it.

Im curious what sorts of things can be created and rewarded to players who participate in player-created scenerios.  such as experience, items etc. do players become GM's and do they get to control NPC's?  Is this what you mentioned that is currently being developed?

I hear something similiar will be done with DDO.  Frankly, im glad someone else beat turbine to the punch!  I just wish there was more exposure to what nevrax has done with this system.

and yes, I can and will do my own research on it.  im just trying to get a topic started on this to help give it more exposure since there hasnt been much said on it at all

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Originally posted by Rattrap

Actually it is the other way around, when something is not so good, the fanboys and those that hate talk about it a ton in the forums to get players back. When the game is fine and dandy, the fanboys are actually playing the game.

I don't play Ryzom Ring but I think it is a new innovation in MMOs. image. Do it for all MMOs and that would be amazing

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    Originally posted by Kibs

thanks!

honestly I had no idea it was still being molded, but thats a great thing considering that it seems like the community is getting very much involved with it.

Im curious what sorts of things can be created and rewarded to players who participate in player-created scenerios.  such as experience, items etc. do players become GM's and do they get to control NPC's?  Is this what you mentioned that is currently being developed?

I hear something similiar will be done with DDO.  Frankly, im glad someone else beat turbine to the punch!  I just wish there was more exposure to what nevrax has done with this system.

and yes, I can and will do my own research on it.  im just trying to get a topic started on this to help give it more exposure since there hasnt been much said on it at all

As for things being rewarded, this is possible, an Adventure Master can give items they own to the players.  I think a rewards system is planned to be released soon.  However this will as I understand it work as follows:

If an Adventure Master wants to give a player an item, it either has to be a plot item which gives no value and is dropped on leaving the adventure, or it has to be an item that was made/collected in the main game.  They cant just spawn items for their players obviously as that would be a huge exploit.

You can master a scenario yes, or choose it to run masterless.  AMs can take control of NPC/mobs or make NPCs speak.  They can set off pre-set triggers, kill mobs, give mobs hp etc etc.

Hope that helps

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Originally posted by Greatness

Originally posted by Rattrap

Actually it is the other way around, when something is not so good, the fanboys and those that hate talk about it a ton in the forums to get players back. When the game is fine and dandy, the fanboys are actually playing the game.

I don't play Ryzom Ring but I think it is a new innovation in MMOs. image. Do it for all MMOs and that would be amazing

I dont know...

I just sopposed Ryzom players would be boasting about great roleplay sessions/quest they did in the ring, by now...

But , hey..

I am not bashing Ryzom in any way. I tried the trial often. I find it a very beutiful game , but somehow it just does not excite me at all. I never have a feeling of sitting down and playing it...

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Rayx0r

I mean every month Eve is tooting their horn about player login records, and here we have what looks to be the ultimate sand-box MMO and nobody is saying really anything about it? so I want to know more from the gamers here who have tried it out.  explain a bit about its mechanix.. hype it up a bit because this seems to be something ground breaking (at first glance that is..)

Maybe because Ryzom players don't have tons of time to post to mmorpg forums while travelling from locaiton to location. :)

The Ring is exactly what it suggest, it allows players to create content for the game. It's pretty powerful also once you really get into designing. Up until today there was an issue where you had to be in your creation and manually invite people. They changed that so now you can auto-invite, you still have to be in it, but you can just leave it running.

The one scenario that I have made so far is pretty complex and catches most players by suprise. Ryzom's missions/tasks have always been "go kill x mobs" or "go bring this here". Very boring and standard missions. I've always wanted to change that. So for my first scenario I created one where npc's gave clues  the locations of other npc's. In order to make the scenario progress you have to figure out the clues, find the spots, and visit them in order. If you don't visit the spots in order, they do not appear.

I was also able to make it so that it was filled with high level mobs, but a low level player could complete it with very little fighting. Basically I gave the option the player the ability to ask NPC's to fight for them.

Not sure whatelse I can tell you.