Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to SWG or new to the game? Read Me! *updated*

Comments

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Fadeus

You are stuck on color options? The radar now works better then ever, and is 2 peices instead of one and you are worried about if it's blue or pink?
    And yes every element is resizeable now.
    There is a damage meter now.
    You can make the "start" button dissapear now until you mouse over it.
    You can now have 10, 20 button hotbars.
    So yes, you were providing wrong information. But keep worrying about if it's blue or pink and saving everyone from not having that choice.

It wasn't wrong information, there are not as many options. That's a fact which you just reinforced. I am glad to hear that they have finally allowed all of the UI elements to be resized. That long experience meter across the bottom of the screen really bothered me while I played. I am glad it can now be moved and resized to something a lot more manageable. As well as the size of the health/action bars for your targets and the toolbar. These options were not in effect for the first 9 months of the NGE version.

Or are those things still not resizable?

Former SWG beta tester and player

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Reachwind
    It wasn't wrong information, there are not as many options. That's a fact which you just reinforced. I am glad to hear that they have finally allowed all of the UI elements to be resized. That long experience meter across the bottom of the screen really bothered me while I played. I am glad it can now be moved and resized to something a lot more manageable. As well as the size of the health/action bars for your targets and the toolbar. These options were not in effect for the first 9 months of the NGE version.Or are those things still not resizable?

It was wrong information.

I don't ever recall health bars being resizeable, however they are smaller now and the group bars use a different graphic that is less intrusive.

The experience bar cannot be shrunk, it can however be turned off.

The new radar and coord bar seperate is alot cleaner and far more customizable then it ever was before. The new inventory coupled with turning on the feature to make it act like the old inventory works better then the old inventory ever did. No more needing to drag to a blank gap to put it into a bag somewhere.

You think you are clever. You are trying to dig. I really don't care if you like the way it works or not. I absolutely love the interface since lasst patch and everyone I am talking to that played pre-cu is about in the same boat as me.

The only reason I am bothered to respond to your post at all is because it was a very unfair representation of the current interface. And it finally LOOKS decent instead of like neon signs with bathroom stickmen for buttons.

But since you want to throw out that there is not as many options, please do enlighten me.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I don't ever recall health bars being resizeable, however they are smaller now and the group bars use a different graphic that is less intrusive.

As I thought, you were wrong.

I think a moderator needs to come through and remove your flames towards me as your post is not constructive to informing other players about the current state of the game. You are merely trying to flame my efforts rather than constructive discuss the game.

As I thought, you were wrong.I think a moderator needs to come through and remove your flames towards me as your post is not constructive to informing other players about the current state of the game. You are merely trying to flame my efforts rather than constructive discuss the game.

If you say so, still waiting to hear how it's inferior to what it was before. But then again how would you know since you aren't a current player, right?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

If you say so, still waiting to hear how it's inferior to what it was before. But then again how would you know since you aren't a current player, right?

You aren't truly interested in discussing anything you are merely trying to bait a flame war. I have reported your flaming posts to the moderators and refuse to engage in any more of your trolling posts.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You aren't truly interested in discussing anything you are merely trying to bait a flame war. I have reported your flaming posts to the moderators and refuse to engage in any more of your trolling posts.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Actually I am. I would love to hear how you think the old interface is better. 7 days ago I would have jumped right up to agree with you. And the latest publish then floored me with all the improvements.

I have actually listed improvements to you. I have also listed new functions that the interface has never had before. You on the otherhand sat digging on the experience bar (as if that skinny thing has even gotten in the way and it can be turned off) and the health bars being to large which has been fixed.

I didn't touch any of your other arguements other then the interface but you can't seem to handle that it may actually be better now then before. You seemed to be nitpicking to find fault more then you actually wanted to discuss the new interface.

- Scaris

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Returning to the game? Here is the real scoop on what you can expect;
    The UI has been changed - Instead of a customizable player specific UI you now have a rigid gawdy in your face UI that people choose to overwrite with a mod.
    The default keymap has changed and many of the options to change things to the way you are comfortable playing have been removed. There is still not an option to set your keymap to the old way provided by the game after nearly a year beig live. You are forced to rely on third party sites like this for the information on how to come close to what you originally had.
    Class system vs skill system - When you originally played SWG it had a wonderful skill system that allowed you to build a character based on around your playstyle preferences. You could be a mix of crafter, entertainer, scout or combat depending upon how you saw your character being the most fun to play. This has been replaced by a rigid inflexible class system. You now choose a playstyle, for instance crafter, and you are not allowed to deviate from it without penalty. To switch from one profession to another you must either pay a sliding credit scale or drop your class progression to 0 and start over.
    Levels vs skill and weapon based combat - In the original game your skill with your weapon and the stats of the weapon determined what type of damage and how often your character could hit an NPC or PC. Each NPC had its own unique set of skills and stats. Now the game is level based. Your damage, ability to hit and the damage you take are related to the level of the NPC or PC you wish to attack or that attacks you.
    Down time - The game no longer has down time. Things like shuttle waits, wounds, battle fatigue have been removed for your ease of play. There is a "death sickness" you'll have to go to a terminal or entertainer to remove once you clone, but that is it.
    Items - The best items are rewards from quests, found as loot on NPCs and the items you get from purchasing an expansion. To keep up with the other players in ability you must complete quests for items and kill certain camped NPCs to get the no trade item to put you on equal terms with the other player characters, also not purchasing the expansions results in certain important items being offlimits to you.
    MCS - The game is no longer a single character per server game. You now get two characters per server unless you opened your extra character slot before the game was changed on 11/15/2005 in which case you now have three characters on that server.
    Most importantly, SWG is no longer a virtual/SIM star wars world. It is now an action role playing game with star wars elements thrown in seemingly randomly. You'll find things from each of the six movies, other games and from the books and comic books completely out of any sense of continuity. There is no cycle of support/crafting/combat. The game is completely combatcentric now. They have left some of the support/crafting roles in the game, but make no mistake they are no longer needed. The classes are just there as fluff. Combat characters need no support and really have no need for any crafter from level 1 to 90 and beyond. Playability for the entertainer and trader (crafting) classes represents that fact perfectly.

No offence Reachwind but your post has anything at all to do with helping new players or returning payers to SWG, all your post is intended for is to cause problems and to put forth your own biased opinion of the game. This thread is here to give a helping hand and answer questions that new players and returning players may and want to ask if they need help with something. This is not a thread for you to complain about the game as you see it, and for you to cry about what you do not like about it. This forum is for people who enjoy SWG and still play it, there is a whole other forum for the things you enjoy posting, and you know that. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Hey Obraik, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I just used this thread to set up my keymap and ui and stuff.

I gotta give it up, it made about a 200% improvement on my experience in the game...at least as far as combat and the ui and stuff. I'd say that any vets that are checking out the 21 day trial or just resubbing to check things out should try this stuff out. It'll take some of your time to set it all up, but it's worth it in the end.

Now, it won't do anything about the population, crafting, ents, etc, etc.. But, it will at least make the game familiar enough to give it a chance...

I'm not saying that I like the game now..but I am saying that this makes it a HELL of a lot easier to tolerate.

My 2 cents.

Love, Sodapop

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Glad to hear it helped you Soda :)

Original post is now updated with new changes made with Chapter 3.  Some of the descriptions are a bit vague, I'll be adding the correct names in tomorrow since I just logged out of the game for the night and forgot to take note of that stuff :P

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Thanks for your helpful post Obraik!

By the way, some accounts are being offered 21 days free now.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Thanks for the guide Obraik

You can always feel the love on the SWG frum lol.

Anyway, I dare stay on topic with a question....

I set up the interface like the guide says (actually you can accomplish alot of it by simply selecting the "Star Wars Modern" in the UI section)

So its more or less identicle to pre-NGE right down to the view (no over the shoulder) Which I find excessively funny by the way but thats another story.

So I was looking at other players and accidentally "left" clicked on a guy and attacked. (thank goodness this isn't L2 or I would have had real issues lol)

My question is...HOW do you get out of combat mode??? It didn't time out and I couldn't get it to dump. escape, tilda, nothing worked.

Also someone said you needed to mod the interface??? All you need to do is reassign a few buttons and its back to pre-NGE now. No modding is required. So much misinformation out there.

The game, once again is more or less totally different from my last sortie in May 06. (which was an expedition from pre-NGE and pre - CU) I do find it somewhat annoying. But then, I never liked SWG ESPECIALLY pre-NGE so anything can be a potential improvement over that. To bad there are Jedi. Get rid of Jedi and problems are solved. To late for that however. 

Heh, the attack everything is a bug from 3.3, which will hopefully be fixed in the next hotfix.  They tried to fix it in the last hotfix on TC, but it broke Heavy Weapons so it got pulled before going live. The only way to stop the combat music is to mount a vehicle or pet.

The UI mod gets rid of the grey art you see around some of the UI features.  It's more of a thing for those of use used to the old version of the game and find the new UI art more distracting then anything :)

• RahshkaRahshka Member Posts: 9
    Hey there, first want to say  me and my partner have just started playing SWG and so far are loving it and the keymapping suggesion that was posted here was excellent. Though I have found one discrepency that does bother me. She plays support mostly while I usually fight though i noticed I seemd to gain more xp then her in fact, we ended up with about 4-5k gap between us. Finally noticed she wasn't getting xp for the kills I made while she checked something or was busy healing. I ran a few experiments and determined this was the case no damage means no xp which would seem to  actually discourage grping or playing support classes. I chked the keymap and commands but found nothing that would change the grping loot or xp. I am hoping I am missing something here and the kind folks who have been helpful in the past might be able to tell me the command or how to change that. Thanks:)

Originally posted by Rahshka
    Hey there, first want to say  me and my partner have just started playing SWG and so far are loving it and the keymapping suggesion that was posted here was excellent. Though I have found one discrepency that does bother me. She plays support mostly while I usually fight though i noticed I seemd to gain more xp then her in fact, we ended up with about 4-5k gap between us. Finally noticed she wasn't getting xp for the kills I made while she checked something or was busy healing. I ran a few experiments and determined this was the case no damage means no xp which would seem to  actually discourage grping or playing support classes. I chked the keymap and commands but found nothing that would change the grping loot or xp. I am hoping I am missing something here and the kind folks who have been helpful in the past might be able to tell me the command or how to change that. Thanks:)

Yeah, everyone in the group will need to do damage to get XP :)

• RahshkaRahshka Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply Obarik I can see though where this is going to dissaude some grping  and  playing support characters like Medic. Even L2 allows everyone in a team to earn xp. I can't think of many current games that dont
    thank you again for your  answer:)

• gambalegambale Member Posts: 3
    I really think the xp system while grouped is something they need to take a look at.  I understand the desire to have folks develop their character initially by way of the legacy quest.  It helps those starting out on their own and immerses you into the game universe.   It also keeps people from power grinding their way to level 90, blowing through the quests and then complaining that there is no content.  However, when grinding a new character under the current system I got to level 56 without interacting with a single other player or purchasing a single player crafted item.   It really keeps the new players out of the loop until they level their character.  In my guild we have lower level players that we would love to have along and would like the challenge of keeping them alive in the DWB for instance, but if the tag along it will actually hurt their leveling because they won't get xp from killing mobs.  So they go off and do their own thing because if they don't it pushes the day they have maxed out further away.  Quests that give XP are also out because you can gain a max of 50% of the xp points of your current level so if one does a Mustafar quest with a group you may burn that quest and only get a fraction of the XP you would have if you had waited for higher level.  New players that could be breathing life into player cities, guilds, and the economy are off shooting Skaak Tippers. 
  • RipperLordRipperLord Member Posts: 58

SWG is one game....how should I explain....that is very worth will playing and almost not exactly fun but entertaining and keeps me busy around every corner. For example I just made a trader on Kettemoor to test the profession out and there is sooo much to do to set up a factory then mining machines then houses and maintain. Then it feels so relaxing after hours of fixing up to then get a steady flow of resources. Then at my free time I make fireworks and do multiple kablewes, and hell does that signal a gathering of people .

The interface is excellent because you can set it up in whatever way you find most confortable for different things you do from Trader to Commando. Last time I played Pre-NGE it took me a far bit to get use to the controls by having to read every little detail when I mouse-over the control. Now it is easy to use and easy to understand. I have played different stages of this game, early 2004 (had SWG installed and played it with my friends account), then mid 2005 (played various times over friend's place), early 2006 with my trial account (noticing the game changed to NGE, and was fairly buggy) then stopped to play other game and then just recently start early 2007 (bought COA and 2 subs cause I was fairly impressed by the fixed changes). I should be playing properly early or mid February, I am fairly busy atm and only playing the trial for a bit of fun till I arrive from Europe.

Trust me and the other supporters, try the trial at least. You have nothing to lose and if you like it trust me it's worth paying for . For those who usally complain on these forums about SWG either haven't even played it (so they don't get left out ) and some still think SWG is the same game they left ages ago and it's totally different trust me.

Check out my screenies of fun in SWG - http://www.xfire.com/profile/ripperlord

• NooblordNooblord Member Posts: 202
    I played SWG several years ago, but it was briefly and one of my first MMOs. I played on a friend's account (not active for him) for one month only... I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped playing...

So, here I am downloading the trial to try to find out.

I'm kind of hoping that this will tide me over until AoC and who knows, maybe along with that.

I know that many people are unhappy with this game right now, but with no expectations who knows, I might like it.

Coming to a server near you with an open mind soon.

image .............image

• DenSirakDenSirak Member Posts: 51

LOL @ having to mod a game to make it playable.
    That's pretty much WoW in a nutshell

Currently playing:
    LOTRO, Rift (beta) and WoW (on occasion)

Originally posted by Nooblord

I played SWG several years ago, but it was briefly and one of my first MMOs. I played on a friend's account (not active for him) for one month only... I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped playing...

So, here I am downloading the trial to try to find out.

I'm kind of hoping that this will tide me over until AoC and who knows, maybe along with that.

I know that many people are unhappy with this game right now, but with no expectations who knows, I might like it.

Coming to a server near you with an open mind soon.

Have you decided which server you'll be on yet?

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211
    Rather stupid question but still... I've heard lots of ranting about NGE, could you tell me what it is and why it's so bad? Fyi, I've never played swg

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

The NGE is a thing of the past, SWG has moved on in a better direction.

If you've never played then it won't affect you.

The reason it made so many people mad was because it changed the whole game dang near.

Once the improvements knocked the NGE out the door things got better and continue to do so.

People say servers are empty but they should try going to some places I was at in game today.  I could barely walk I was lagging so bad because of all the players.

• iamjmkiamjmk Member Posts: 51
    Well to address the issue of former player hate I will say as a former player I am glad you’re enjoying the game, really. Everyone must make the choice of how to spend there time and money and if you feel your getting value from SWG then more power to you.

I will also say that what drove me away finally was not the lost of professions, combat system, languages or any of the...........liberties SOE took with the truth. (All of these pissed me off mind you they just didn’t drive me finally away.) What finally drove me off was the Legacy quest. I hate it. Everyone going to the space station is fine but why the same planet too. Boring and the thought of doing it again with other toons was enough to drive me to despair. If they want the game to be quest based I wish they would spend more time pushing out Class specific quest lines as well as have quest all over the place ala Everquest 2. I mean the world of Norath is awash in quest and the galaxy of Star Wars has the same path for all. Or so it feels for me it just ruined emersion, again at least for me. Now again I say this as someone who enjoyed the earlier versions of SWG. It just seems they did a half ass job of converting it over to what they said would be a better system. (Quest instead of Sandbox)

So for me I will say if they ever get more quests in the game and continue to polish and add back the stuff they took out that people loved even in its newer lesser form (Beast Mastery) I will come back and give it a look see. I am afraid the clock is ticking on SWG at least in its ability to bring in a lot of new customers. It’s an old game that still looks decent on good machines but there is an every increasing lineup of foes waiting to take its business. I know its Star Wars. Still it really needs to hit a few more out of the park to stay in the ballgame at least in my opinion.

Cheers all and have a great day!

There's really no need to do the Legacy quest if you don't want to.  Infact, it's quicker to grind up the old way now rather then going through the legacy series.