Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

folks at Icarus studios, please consider this!

WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Greetings, i've been playing mmorpg's for a long long time now and one of the things that always annoyed me was the fact that only a few mmorpg have the option to pay for them via direct debit. I live in the Netherlands, and creditcards arent as usual here as in for example the usa. So when a good game hits the market here without using a direct debit payment option, there is usually a large run on payment cards (and in most cases even those are not availible as payment option) ... eventually making it verry hard to get one. For example, when Blizzard launched WoW here, a large amount of players werent even able to play the game due to the lack of cards... When i asked a gamestore employee, he told me they were getting nuts because of all the people asking for one. So not only did a lot of players get duped, im sure blizzard lost loads of money because of it too. Now that they have implemented a direct debit payment option everything's fine and most servers are full of dutch folks. So to keep things short... please consider implementing a direct debit payment option for European country's :}

Comments

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Seconded.
    I live in Germany and don't have a CC either yet. Maybe I would get one for FE, but it is always nicer if I don't have the extra hassle. And Icarus Studios' chances of getting me as customer are better image

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Your debit cards aren't affiliated with credit cards?

Here in America we can use our Debit Cards just like Credit Cards. They are processed like credit cards, except instead of things being bought on credit it comes straight out of our bank account.

My Debit Card is Visa.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by SnaKey

Your debit cards aren't affiliated with credit cards?
    Here in America we can use our Debit Cards just like Credit Cards. They are processed like credit cards, except instead of things being bought on credit it comes straight out of our bank account.
    My Debit Card is Visa.

I am not 100% sure of this, but i think debit cards are affiliated with creditcards here aslo... so it works exactly the same here as in America. The fact that there arent a lot of people with creditcards is due to the European mentality, most people simply refuse to buy things on credit (although that's changing slowly tho), its a matter of keeping one's financial freedom. I myself would never ever use a cc even if i had one.

Annyway, i think that all those distributors of games do not even realize how much profit they are missing from not using direct debit as a payment method for mmorpg's. I talked to lots of people who would like to play a certain  mmorpg but did not, or could not do it simply because of the fact that they had to pay with cc's.

So folks at Icarus, i'm 100% sure that you would get a lot more players from Europe if you would use a direct debit payment option. Just telling ya... :)

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

I've had a "debet card" since 1997, when I went to the army. Only way I could get my pay to use at location without having to pay hefty transaction fees.

And from the first day, it was also a "Visa" card.

I call it my "credit card" tho, because well, here in norway, "debet card" is not really a word we use image

Europeans might be hesistant to buy things on credit, I know Norwegians are..the older norwegians(the younger generations seem to not being able to live without a credit card...). But it's really the banks fault for not having Visa or Mastercard connected to your cards. Heck, I think you actually have to tell the banks here in norway that you DON'T want Visa or Mastercard with your debit card.

And they say we norwegians are backwater...Someone forgot to check the "modern, popular" europe? image

imageThe last of the Trackers

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by SnaKey
    Your debit cards aren't affiliated with credit cards?Here in America we can use our Debit Cards just like Credit Cards. They are processed like credit cards, except instead of things being bought on credit it comes straight out of our bank account.My Debit Card is Visa.
    In Germany, something similar is known as "Lastschrift" or "direct debit" and pretty well established.  You give the merchant your account number and he tells his bank to collect from yours. The money comes, indeed, straight out of our bank account. There is also a chargeback mechanism in case of abuse so I think it is pretty much the equivalent of CC (credit card) payment.

The difference is that this form of direct debit is not covered by the international CC companies, you have to get a separate CC from your bank for that.
    In my case, the most convenient way would be to get the CC offer from my bank. That makes 30 euro extra per year and one account more to watch for illicit debits. Sure I could afford it, but as long as there is no urgent need I'd rather save myself the trouble.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

just to illustrate the importance of having a direct debit option, this is a small excerpt from some article i found on the internet:

"CCP is also announcing support for Direct Debit in cooperation with GlobalCollect and will be ready shortly after the Leipzig show. Direct Debit is the preferred payment method of gamers in Germany and therefore an important payment addition to the already wide selection of payment methods offered by CCP.

Lisette Schipper, Business Development Manager of GlobalCollect said, "We are thrilled to be part of EVE Online's upcoming localized German launch and to provide Direct Debit, the most popular online payment method in Germany. This will enable CCP to provide their German gamers the option to pay with a local method they are familiar with and most importantly, comfortable using."

The full article can be read here: http://massive-magazine.com/content/view/579/6/

• adriradrir Member Posts: 101
    Debit cards are typically Solo, Maestro and Switch. They transfer direct from your bank account to the credited account.

Credit cards, such as Mastercard or Visa although there are loads out there, basically loan you the money until you can pay them back, usually after procuring hefy interest.

Credit cards can also be concidered "safer" than debit cards to use online because the companies can more easily recify fraud and actively target suspicious transactions. Depite the fact most banks now offer equivilent services on bank accounts and debit cards anyway.

Not so much a problem here in the UK, I recieved my first credit card account with my students account. Most people I know have them.