Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars might be charging monthley fee's

2»

Comments

• last_exilelast_exile Member Posts: 196

Whoever told u that is wrong gw will never charge monthly fee being free is one of the main resons it was made  its for the casual gamer not the hardcore lvl grinder

• 3ddyt3ddyt Member Posts: 20
    Dood! They bought out 2 add ons worth £30 each, they DO NOT need monthly fees!

Edward thomas

• FunkAy231FunkAy231 Member Posts: 7
    it suck if it does errr

• RieveRieve Member UncommonPosts: 12

I also heard this from a friend in the gaming industry, but don't hold much faith in it, until it comes from the devs themselves.  On a side note the new expansion looks interesting.

Edit: Typing of course, can't spell

• DarthoriousDarthorious Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Ya if they charge subs, if you can call it that, will drop fast.

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

I can quarantee you that Anet, either Factions, Nightfall or any other incoming addon will never make it a p2p game. If they did ( which I can quarantee again and again  ) people would massively quit this game.

This is and stay fairy tale

Loyal guild wars gamer, Sven

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

Not going to happen.   The core idea behind the game is the F2P concept.   Try another rumor please.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• aspen1aspen1 Member Posts: 28
    guild wars blows and imo will go under if they charge to play
  • _Chopper__Chopper_ Member Posts: 3

I just bought factions and was going to buy nightfall, but hearing this rumour.. I'll have to look into it before I consider buying nightfall. If they drop a monthly fee on us, I'm out, no questions asked.
    I just hope this isn't true. image

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

There is no way that Guild Wars will ever charge a monthly fee. Their entire business model is based on expansions, not monthly fees. They have stated that they intend to release a new sand alone expansion to the original prophecies campaign at least every six months. Each game is $50 (I will work only in American dollars and not Euros or other currency solely for the sake of convenience.), and Blizzard charges $15 a month for WoW.  Thus, over a period of six months, WoW generates $90 per player for Blizzard, while Guild Wars generates $50 per player.

Now, that’s just over 50% less, but doesn’t take into account the many people that don’t subscribe each month.  Many people (myself included) only play every now and again, when other games get boring for them, and so Blizzard doesn’t get all of the money that they seem to be getting. In addition, a lot of people buy the $70 Collectors editions. Now, that is partially offset by the initial purchases of WoW, and the purchases of BC.

So, obviously, WoW makes more money than GW, but how much money does one organization need?  Guild Wars has 2 million players, and World of Warcraft has 7. These are both approximations, obviously, but the difference in the number of players is important.  GW doesn’t need as many servers or tech people, and because they only have one real “world,” they don’t need near as many GMs. WoW makes 105,000,00 each month. Now, think hard about that number, and decide if you think any company needs that kind of money.  GW makes about 16.5 each month. I can’t see how anyone would think 16 million dollars a month is not enough.

Their business model is sound, they are just not as greedy.  That’s why they left Blizzard in the first place.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• SylocSyloc Member Posts: 92

His numbers are totally made up. Don't believe them. Guild wars has said from day 1 that it's never going to p2p. Also, their whole game is based around instances so it backs up what they claim.

He has NO idea who is making more profit cause no one has ever released that information. Server Wow has a lot of people but how about other costs? Number of employees? THe list goes on and on. Speculate all you want but this 70 million plus 9 million crap is bs talk.

-Syloc

Visit My fantasy Blog! http://fantasyglobe.blogspot.com/

• MalianeaMalianea Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by Homieslice
    GW is dominating WoW in sales but WoW is earning more profite. With 4 million subsribers they earn $60 million dollars a month plus the sales from selling the game. so thats like $70 million. Minus of course the cost it takes to do these things. so the profit is like $30-$40 mill. (I don't think these numbers are accurate lol) Anyway Guildwars has sold more than WoW, but there not earning a lot because theres no monthley feee. They probably earn %75 or less of wat WoW earns. So there thinking of putting a monthley fee up

Uhm, a few things wrong here.

WoW has held the top spot in US game sales for somewhere around 15 of the last 20months. Also, only 3 months ago GW announced they reached the 2 million mark in sales.

In China and Korea, where there are about 1/2 of WoW's total players, they do not pay $15/mth like we do in the US and Europe. They pay in the neighborhood of $.04/hour instead, since 95% or so of their playing is done in cyber cafes due to insane ISP taxes and laws. Add to that the fact that Blizzard only makes 30% of that $.04/hour and the money you think they are making is actually far less.

Now, I'm certainly not saying they are not making a fortune, or that they are not making far more money on WoW than NCsoft is making from GW... just wanted to set the record straight somewhat, since everyone keeps assuming they are making so much more.

As far as NCsoft charging a monthly fee for GW? Never going to happen. The entire game and fanbase is built on no monthly fees.

Malianea

• evil.Eevil.E Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by _Chopper_
    I just bought factions and was going to buy nightfall, but hearing this rumour.. I'll have to look into it before I consider buying nightfall. If they drop a monthly fee on us, I'm out, no questions asked.
    I just hope this isn't true. image

So because you heard a half-baked rumor that more or less everyone has said is complete BS you're now not sure if you're going to buy Nightfall? image

• flame-manflame-man Member Posts: 58
    g wars will give monthly fees and lose a big chunk of player:)

šhÂhËËÑ

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Malianea

Originally posted by Homieslice
    GW is dominating WoW in sales but WoW is earning more profite. With 4 million subsribers they earn $60 million dollars a month plus the sales from selling the game. so thats like $70 million. Minus of course the cost it takes to do these things. so the profit is like $30-$40 mill. (I don't think these numbers are accurate lol) Anyway Guildwars has sold more than WoW, but there not earning a lot because theres no monthley feee. They probably earn %75 or less of wat WoW earns. So there thinking of putting a monthley fee up

Uhm, a few things wrong here.

WoW has held the top spot in US game sales for somewhere around 15 of the last 20months. Also, only 3 months ago GW announced they reached the 2 million mark in sales.

In China and Korea, where there are about 1/2 of WoW's total players, they do not pay $15/mth like we do in the US and Europe. They pay in the neighborhood of $.04/hour instead, since 95% or so of their playing is done in cyber cafes due to insane ISP taxes and laws. Add to that the fact that Blizzard only makes 30% of that $.04/hour and the money you think they are making is actually far less.

Now, I'm certainly not saying they are not making a fortune, or that they are not making far more money on WoW than NCsoft is making from GW... just wanted to set the record straight somewhat, since everyone keeps assuming they are making so much more.

As far as NCsoft charging a monthly fee for GW? Never going to happen. The entire game and fanbase is built on no monthly fees.

Exactly.

GW outsold WoW?  How about... no. image Not even close, thats why NCSoft is in the black.