Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community issues

sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

okay ive been very active with this game as of late but im starting to see lotsa problems with the community. you have some die hard LoTR fans out there. It seems to me no matter what they do with this game its gonna fail. these hard core Tolkien fans have to have it strickly by the books and movies. its crazy. I think they would S&*T them selves if there was a forest to hunt in named _____ "whatever" that wasnt in the books/movies. seriously i hope they dont cry to much it could really destroy the game heres a link check it out. http://lotro.turbine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10039out its quick there all really short views. but there talking about a calander and how the game will progress in Real time not Game time. I took it as the months and then the game is over lol these guys are crazy!

OH Flame on guy im sure ill get some greaf for this post dont care though  

Comments

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893

I thought I was a fan of Tolkien's work, until I started reading those message boards. *shudder*

I can imagine the high level of dorkery going on behind the screens

• FrekFrek Member UncommonPosts: 53
    You mention the movies and you bring up a point that most people aren't aware of. Turbine has to be careful here because they only have the IP for the books, not the movies. EA currently holds the IP on the movies.

Turbine has to be careful not to cross that line. For example, if they made Aragorn look exactly like he did in the movies then EA would probably sue Turbine.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

No, the elves do not all leave in the end. All the Noldor we know of leave (Glorfindol, Gildor, Galadriel), many of the Sindar leave (Cirdan and his folk, Elrond) but some stay (Elrohir, Elladan, Celeborn), and a few Silvan leave (years later Legalos leaves, taking Gimli with him). But most Silvan elves stay (Thranduil's folk reclaim Mirkwood and rename it Greenwood the Great).

Oh rly..
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    *sighs* And you call us freaks. Take a look at yourselves.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by sly220

okay ive been very active with this game as of late but im starting to see lotsa problems with the community. you have some die hard LoTR fans out there. It seems to me no matter what they do with this game its gonna fail. these hard core Tolkien fans have to have it strickly by the books and movies. its crazy. I think they would S&*T them selves if there was a forest to hunt in named _____ "whatever" that wasnt in the books/movies. seriously i hope they dont cry to much it could really destroy the game heres a link check it out. http://lotro.turbine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10039out its quick there all really short views. but there talking about a calander and how the game will progress in Real time not Game time. I took it as the months and then the game is over lol these guys are crazy!

The game has over 1000 pages of pre-existing lore. There's a lot to sink your teeth into, and like with any game there are those who have already taken a bite (or two.)

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by Moirae
    *sighs* And you call us freaks. Take a look at yourselves.

No one said your a freak?? only was pointing out how Turbine really has no real chance of making a decent game with all the LORE Fanatics around i mean really they talk about how gems shouldnt be used in weapons to make them better seeing how its not in the LORE when does the LORE stop and the Game Begin?

This is about LOTR, it's not about killing everyone and everything in sight. Lore matters. TE controls the license, not Turbine. Too bad if you don't like it. That's reality and it's the way things work.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

This is about LOTR, it's not about killing everyone and everything in sight. Lore matters. TE controls the license, not Turbine. Too bad if you don't like it. That's reality and it's the way things work.

Lord of the Rings or not it will still have to stick pretty true to the proven formula of kill 10 of these and six of those and carry this letter to Farmer Brown.

I like what they have shown of the game so far, and it is on my "probabl;y will buy and play" list. However if it is just WoW in Middle Earth with monster play and better crafting it will have my money for six months or a year at least. I would bet there you can't find 3 beta testers right now sitting in the Prancing Pony quaffing virtual ale and telling tales. They are too busy killing mobs, doing quests and crafting. Don't expect a sandbox in other words, just be happy with a good polished fun game.

I miss DAoC

i understand its LOTR and lore is inportant however were does the LORE stop and the GAME begin lore very important however im not gonna sit around a camp fire and conversate about my day with you i want great game play with the lore of LOTR i want great armor quest that will stay with teh LORE but i want it to match not this piece from gondor and this piece from helms deep.... thats were im trying to make my point.... i want Rings that give stat boost that dont just show up when you inspect me! I keep saying i as if im the only person that may want this But im going to say there are many more that Want These Things.....

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    nah, you are not alone. Three or four months ago most of those omygawd the lore posters could have gave a rats rear about lore. Half or more probably read the Cliff's notes http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/LitNote/id-172.htmlimage or saw teh Peter Jackson movies. Most of the BS on the official forums now are suckup posts trying to get a beta spot.image thinking if they impress the Devs with their great love of Tolkein they will be one of the chosen ones.

I miss DAoC

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

It seems, Sly, you are confusing Lore with Roleplaying. They are not the same thing.  Furthermore, following lore can create a new, interesting experience. For example, if the world of Tolkien restricts wizards, how can you create a ranged dps class like other games have? Well, LOTRO solves that by making the Hunter a ranged dps class, the glass cannon you usually find filled by wizards.  That is just one example  of lore making the game fun.

People will look for scapegoats, and lore becomes the easiest target.  That's typical though, scapegoating seems to be human nature, at least for the ignorant.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by Cerion

It seems, Sly, you are confusing Lore with Roleplaying. They are not the same thing.  Furthermore, following lore can create a new, interesting experience. For example, if the world of Tolkien restricts wizards, how can you create a ranged dps class like other games have? Well, LOTRO solves that by making the Hunter a ranged dps class, the glass cannon you usually find filled by wizards.  That is just one example  of lore making the game fun.
    People will look for scapegoats, and lore becomes the easiest target.  That's typical though, scapegoating seems to be human nature, at least for the ignorant.

Okay if im confusing Lore with Roleplaying Y dont you explain it and not take the easy way out by calling people that look for scapegoats ingnorant? further more im great with the Classes you get to choose im great with the quests that we have heard about.. Im not okay with People That Follow The Lore To the E i suppose.. we have had some intreasting conversations on the main web page and Most of them feel that

Matching Armor Not in Lore so shouldnt have it in game.... Rings with stat boost not in lore not in game.... weapons that allow you to put gems and stuff in them to make them better not in Lore not in the game then... and i can go on and on and on with the same things that people have made it clear not in the Lore not in the game.... So what do i mean by Lore i mean in the Books or Movie they didnt read it or see it so shouldnt be part of LOTRO..... So please Cerion help me to understand what im reading wrong or getting confused about i dont think you can seeing how i doubt im wrong on this one but i may be image

I agree with you sly. If it's not in the books (this game is based on the books and has nothing at all to do with the movies), it shouldn't be in the game.

However, they are two different things, Lore and Roleplaying.

Lore is the story. The simple reality of the actual world itself.

Roleplaying is playing your character as though they are part of that world. I supposed RP is related to Lore but they aren't exactly the same thing.

• XpheyelXpheyel Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 704

Actually Moirae, I think he's saying he doesn't like it that people seem so attached to the lore that they were hypothesizing about "ending" the game via expansions. It is kind of hard to to tell.

Not that I'm actually worried about that. They aren't going to go around deliberately limiting however successful the game might ultimately be. You're reading speculations and that is all there is too it.

They are and have already taken artistic license, just look at the monster designs. Plus, it seems like Angmar, which is way off further north than anywhere the Fellowship ever got to, is going to play a role... Given the subtitle.

• GrumpybearGrumpybear Member Posts: 47
    I think it's kind of silly to get up in arms about artistic license.  If people want a only whats in the book game, go play a P&P version.  Make your own up.

The books weren't written as a guide to how to make a 3d game of the creators world.  They were written for people to read and imagine a world on their own.  Any game derived from a book who's purpose was to be a written form of entertainment, is going to contain somehting not from the book.  End of story.

Name one novel ever written that had enough info to accurately create a complete 3d world out of it w/out having to make up a few details to fill in  the blanks.  Then if you can do that, show me how fun it can me. 

Looks to me like only Turbine is working to show me anything besides half-assed opinions.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

i saw this problem with star wars galaxies. at launch imperials were screaming that rebels were supposed to be weak...rebels were screaming that it was unrealistic for one player to command two AT-ST's. Others were complaining that pets shouldnt be so dominant. Still more complained that melee classes (besides tka) didnt even exist or shouldnt be dominating ranged classes in star wars.

The argument over jedi being around for the time period caused much resentment and hostility. And it got much much worse as the player jedi population grew.

Plus the timeline is set, the outcome is predetermined. Many players felt it silly or pointless to fight a war knowing in the end they still lose.

Lore was so important to folks there that entire guilds quit the game over it.

Thats the problem with major licenses. It locks the developers into a tight world with little room for interpretation and zero freedom to be creative. Star Wars galaxies would have been better off placing their timeline AFTER episode 6 and LOTR would have been better set in some other time as well.

Personally I would have set the game after the time of The Hobbit. Not much is known between The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. 

• darc21darc21 Member Posts: 94

get yur facts rite, it will not be based on the movies, it is based around the lore of tolkiens world, not the movies.

Turbine hav stated countless times that it WILL be based strictly around the lore and not the books and only a few exceptions for enhancement in gameplay.

WAR looks AWESOME!

Give Blood....Play Rugby!

What I don't get is why people keep saying the game has to "end". It's an MMO, no it doesn't.

Originally posted by darc21

get yur facts rite, it will not be based on the movies, it is based around the lore of tolkiens world, not the movies.

Turbine hav stated countless times that it WILL be based strictly around the lore and not the books and only a few exceptions for enhancement in gameplay.

i have my facts straight.... certian people dont want any devation at all that was my point... no magical items no enhancements no nothing of the sorts. And YES SOME EVEN WANT AN ENDING.. Frodo throws the ring into the pit of fire Read some more on what some want and youll see were im comming from. USE the link I provided befor you be an (** sound good then come back ot me on the community issues untill then Piss off.. do some research then flame not before... dont care what the devs are doing i already know, i read unlike some people. i was talking about the people we were gonna join fellowships with thanks oh and good luck on the reading and learning about the community of LOTRO.............

Originally posted by admriker4

i saw this problem with star wars galaxies. at launch imperials were screaming that rebels were supposed to be weak...rebels were screaming that it was unrealistic for one player to command two AT-ST's. Others were complaining that pets shouldnt be so dominant. Still more complained that melee classes (besides tka) didnt even exist or shouldnt be dominating ranged classes in star wars.
    The argument over jedi being around for the time period caused much resentment and hostility. And it got much much worse as the player jedi population grew.
    Plus the timeline is set, the outcome is predetermined. Many players felt it silly or pointless to fight a war knowing in the end they still lose.
    Lore was so important to folks there that entire guilds quit the game over it.
    Thats the problem with major licenses. It locks the developers into a tight world with little room for interpretation and zero freedom to be creative. Star Wars galaxies would have been better off placing their timeline AFTER episode 6 and LOTR would have been better set in some other time as well.
    Personally I would have set the game after the time of The Hobbit. Not much is known between The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. 

I AGREE... it should have been placed at a point in time that no one knows about or could say that is wrong In lore, MY point to my orginal post was the community my Fail this great game, they may Make it like SWG and ruin it! i hope they dont but they may we shall see