Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is innovative and ground breaking in vanguard?

I Keep seeing this term used alot in describing Vanguard.

Personally im not seeing allot.

I would like to hear what others consider innovative and ground breaking about vanguard.

Lets try to play nice BTW.

First one on my list is the necromances Abomination. I think its very cool.

----------
"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Comments

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I would like to hear what others consider innovative and ground breaking about vanguard.

Me either... I suppose you could say the diplomacy is, but its not the first iteration of a card game in an MMO, and its not really any different than grinding faction, but its a new way to do it... I suppose.

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Nothing is groundbreaking in Vanguard

Thats just the point.

They do not try to do something groundbreaking. Just better

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

There are a few things they are doing that are fairly unique to mmos. The caravan system, for example.

I think a better word than "innovation" or "groudbreaking" or "third generation" would be uncommon. There are things about the game where it's not that we have never seen this or anything like this before, but you don't see it a lot. For example, flying mounts. People have been flying all over City of Heroes for years. You can fly to anything you can see, all the way to the clouds. But, you don't see that very often in mmos. There are a lot of things like that, where it's not absolutely unique or new but it's not what you normally see.

The issue, of course, is less what the feature is and more: (1) how many people will actually get to enjoy this feature, and (2) what does it add to the gameplay? It's not enough just to have a feature. People need to be able to enjoy it.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

First one on my list is the necromances Abomination. I think its very cool.

I think a lot of the ways the classes interact with mobs is quite innovative. I have only read in depth about the ranger, but there are tremendous resources describing all the other classes as well. Ranger, as I have said before, can adjust how far he pulls back the arrow, thus making his shots quicker, or slower and more powerful. Little things like that make for more immersion in my opinion.

Having sea travel isn't exactly new but having the boats craftable in an MMO is new and hard to believe it's the first time we've seen this. What I like most about Vanguard though is that they aren't trying to re-invent the wheel. Much of what I like about Vanguard has already been done, it's just going to be done better, I hope. No way to tell for reall till I get my hands on it.

Caravan system is of course very innovative. Can't wait to see how it works.

To the O.P., where are you seeing the term innovative used a lot, besides by me? image

Originally posted by Rattrap

Nothing is groundbreaking in Vanguard
    Thats just the point.
    They do not try to do something groundbreaking. Just Derivative

Fixed...

About ranger: you don't actually pull it back with any kind of interaction than button pushing/holding buttons...

If you want immersion check out the AoC combat vids

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152

Lets try to play nice BTW.First one on my list is the necromances Abomination. I think its very cool.

Umm, the first thing is the way they are doing the classes, each class is unique and a lot of people is going to be really impressed with them. I am not in beta, I'm still hoping to get in beta :(.  But some friends are testing the beta and I saw the game running.  Back to the classes, I can't really compare the classes in vanguard Vanguard with their equal in other mmorpgs. Just because it would be unfair for the competition. And yes that includes EverQuest classes.

The new things:

The caravan system.

Is the first game to talk seriously about flying mounts in their world for years... And If you honestly ask my opinion, blizzard saw that and copied it, and will fail miserably in that aspect , because you can use flying mounts in all the world of telon, of course I heard of restrictions during thunderstorms and sand storms.

Dynamic weather system?, Maybe we are going to enjoy an mmorpg with a dynamic wather system.

Well... Read teh FAQ for more because there a lot of  new things they are adding to the mmorpg gnere. But don't stay just looking for the new things. Look for the changes they are doing in the features we know from thew previous mmorpgs.

Dimitrio Darkblade
    Founder Leader of Vitae Essentia
    http://www.veguild.org

• qwepoiqwepoi Member Posts: 106

I dont't think theres really that much innovative or groundbreaking about vanguard, the graphics are looking amazing for a game still in earlyish beta, but apart from that there isn't really that much in vanguard that hasn't already been done.

This doesn't mean that it wont be a good game though, the thing that stands out to me about vanguard is not their originality, but the fact that they are trying to make a game that will last us a long time, unlike a lot of other MMOs that have come out recently vanguard wont be a 2 month race to max level, where your then stuck waiting another 6 months for the next expansion. Vanguards longevity IMO is its best feature, and will be a key part to wether it will succeed or not.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318
    Nothing at all.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338

Originally posted by Dimitrio
     Dynamic weather system?, Maybe we are going to enjoy an mmorpg with a dynamic wather system.

I missed that one and its the sort of little extra I love, any details?

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

• Deva-stateDeva-state Member Posts: 64
    Lot of the stuff they are doing has been around since UO, but they are definately taking it to the next level. 

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    the whole inavation part is how original they are being

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    never seen player controlled boats in a mmo

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Originally posted by scaramoosh
    never seen player controlled boats in a mmo

Ultima Online.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

yeah your right

also there coming out with higher lvl druid spells to make wind for your boat and stuff, should be fun

and low lvl mounts and they going to have flying mounts

not many games have that the only game ik that you can get one is in L2 which is a grind game=boring lolz

well WoW is now going to do it in Buring Crusades but yeah

but yeah i cant wait

Originally posted by achellis

L2 which is a grind game=boring lolz

You realize this is a game being made by the guy who invented the ultra-grind, right?

imageimage

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

and low lvl mounts and they going to have flying mounts
    not many games have that the only game ik that you can get one is in L2 which is a grind game=boring lolz

Well, CoV and CoH may have no mounts, but the travel powers outmatch any needs for said mounts.  Flying is good, jumping around is great!   However "seemless" also bring lag issues as to why you want to slow player movements.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by Sturmrabe

You realize this is a game being made by the guy who invented the ultra-grind, right?

No, most Korean made games are grind game. I actually tried it out one day and in EQ I made it from 1 to 48 without ever grinding <short of the kill 12 rats type quest>, I did it with quest only, much of them were mainly travel quest to tell somebody something, or deliver something.

Archlord...not sure how the live edition is, but the beta version was a grind fest. 

Not so nice guy!

Originally posted by lordtwisted

No, most Korean made games are grind game. I actually tried it out one day and in EQ I made it from 1 to 48 without ever grinding , I did it with quest only, much of them were mainly travel quest to tell somebody something, or deliver something.

Archlord...not sure how the live edition is, but the beta version was a grind fest. 

Look, i don't care what Korean games are, this is the guy who INVENTED the unholy grind, the AA's (to give max levels a new grind) the faction, the madness...

And what YOU played was not "TEH V1Z10N", it was not even close to the EQ of Brad McNugglet

imageimage

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

And what YOU played was not "TEH V1Z10N", it was not even close to the EQ of Brad McNugglet

What are you talking about?

Not so nice guy!

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

If you think the EQ grind is anything like the L2 grind, you haven't played L2. The grind in L2 is, in a word, insane.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

1) Size of the world is large.  I don't know of any game with it's projected size.  So if you are an explorer like me, you will love it.

2) diplomacy system.

3) Nice attempt at the crafting skill leveling system.

Classes are nothing great.  It looks ok. 

• LemuresShinLemuresShin Member Posts: 1
    Nothing at all and it's one of the worst mmog's thats been made.  I'm certainly not suprised by that.

Jeffy the Garden Hose? You know what... *BING!* I just killed Jeffy with my mind. ~Master Shake

• TandilTandil Member Posts: 11

I have seen nothing truely groundbreaking or innovative as far as the game play goes.  Even the ui seems copied from another "popular" mmo on the market right now.  It seems a lot of the ideas came from there, but things change as beta testing moves forward.

I can honestly say everything about this game reminds me of my years of EQ.  The graphics are much nicer of course, but the thing that bothers me the most is I feel like I am playing EQ all over again.  I have tried several classes and they all have the "eq" feel.  I can not say much more about it because of the NDA but I will say I am starting to wonder about the tradeskills system.  It is of course still beta and unfortunately getting into thier beta forums has been a challenge for most people I have spoken to in game, I have been trying for several weeks now to no avail.

• SerenikillSerenikill Member Posts: 45
    Yea I heard they are having problems with the beta system, as far as innovation, here we go :P

1) Advanced Encounter System that is a welcome and much better alternative to instancing.
        see: http://boards.ign.com/vanguard_saga_of_heroes/b9073/122932706/p1/?1

2) Taking travel to the next level. Boats that can go anywhere, flying mounts that can go anywhere, many different mounts, truly seamless world. These are things that aren't in current mmogs or things that have never been in MMO's.

3) Fellowship and Caravan system

4) Classes and combat are taken to the next level. The Classes are all unique and have really cool attributes to them and are all customizable.  Combat is deep and requires real thought.

5) Won't be in at launch but RTS style building of player cities is planned, sounds amazing. Guild cities, hiring guards, building outposts, etc. etc. is truly innovative but obviously going to be tough to do.

6) 7 year plan to ensure consistency and steady flow of content. A.K.A. why EQ and SWG failed, they changed the game to much

I could go on but these are the main things that I like and find innovative.

As far as people saying it will be a grind fest and that Brad McQuaid invented the grind is just completely off base. EQ had some grinding (quite a bit at later levels) but less than other games (UO) and was extremely innovative for its time.

• TandilTandil Member Posts: 11

Those are some good points, but they are all advertising propaganda for the most part.  Especially number 4, I can not say much due to the NDA so I will leave it to your imagination.  As far as free flight, CoH had that long ago its not new.  The boats, well I'll give you that one.  It is a really good game but it just has too much of an EQ aura about it right now.  Even the login screen backround is vintage EQ.  Every time I sit here during the loading screen I have serious flashbacks of sleepless nights raiding in "The Plane of Time" with my guild. 

I am seriously hoping that the beta will fix that feeling of playing the same old game with pretty graphics and more races and a new class or two tossed in.  Even the character models look vintage EQ with more body customizations built in, although they are no where near what CoH has for character customizations.  If it doesn't it just won't have as big a following as they think.  There will be a lot of changes to come I am sure since this is still early in the beta testing, I am hoping they take the feedback they are getting.  If they take the feedback and use it, this will be an awesome game and I will be there from the start.  If they don't take what the players are saying and keep it as it is, I more then likely won't spend the money.  I played EQ from beta 3 up until two years ago, most of my guild and I wanted something new and fresh.  Most of us have tried most of the games out there and nothing has really kept us interested because of the "same old thing with a better graphics engine" feeling.

Edit:  EQ had a 5 year plan, but SOE got it hands in it and that got turned and twisted so that point is moot.