Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Helios strikes again (with response)

Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
I will neither confirm nor deny who posted the post he responded to and rebutted it:

Helios_SOE wrote:

KYWildcat wrote:

Helios_SOE wrote:

Skorpios wrote:
Seems a little strange that Entertainers would have TK abilities.

Didn't seem fair to have no defense at all against those Rancors...

Why should someone have to be an Entertainer to be one of the most loved, most played, classic SWG professions?

I suspect you may mean "the most
broken and abused".  Dizzy-Knockdown, Dizzy-Knockdown,
Dizzy-Knockdown.   That's why everyone played a TKA.  It was fun to
most people because you couldn't lose - the same reason everyone played
a rifleman - unhealable mind shots.  Memory burn tends to erase the bad
things about a particular experience.  I'm just bringing that up
because I want to reiterate that whatever combat options Entertainers
get in their expertise, they won't be the overpowered and
broken killing machines that TKAs were.  As such, they are not going to
be the "most love, most played, classic SWG profession" that you are
remembering. 

All of which had counters if
you chose it in your template.  Isn't PvP ability a profession choice? 
Your expertise choices make you choose such things.

And you guys
didn't make one credible effort to balance the Pre-CU combat system and
professions.  Well, you did, it was called the CURB, and it was on
closed test center, and had great reviews.  Then it was replaced by the
CU which was whacked together in a fashion similar to the NGE and
thrown out there.

You Devs, throughout the history of this game
would rather blame the original game and change things rather than
accept responsibilty and fix what was there.  Now you have a game frame
that can be fixed even by you, but is so bland and generic that it's
uninteresting, and thus, unfun.  There is nothing you can possibly do
to this limited framework that will ever make it 1/20th the game it
once was.

Helios, you'd be better served not posting at all than
posting some of the stuff you've been throwing out lately.  It's almost
as if you are trying to tick people off on purpose.  If this isn't your
purpose, I would advise you to start thinking more before you hit
submit.

Comments

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    "That boy don't ever learn ...."

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by KzinKiller
    "That boy don't ever learn ...."
    To call him a halfwit would be an insult to honest halfwits everywhere.

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

As such, they are not going to be the "most love, most played, classic SWG profession" that you are remembering. 

So...Right there he is saying that it's going to be lame, and half-assed, and barely anyone will want to play it. TKA was strong, but only unbeatable to a n00b like Helios.

Love, Sodapop

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    Sword/Fencer/Medic was quite capable of beating TKA's.  I did so with that combo.  Then I eventually added TKA too...

the same reason everyone played
    a rifleman - unhealable mind shots.

Because, you know, nobody would play it because they liked having the longest range in the game, or liked rp'ing a sniper, or felt it complemented their mixed profession template better as a support role in combat, or just liked the weapons and effects of rifles better than pistols and carbines ...

No, everyone chose Rifle to be uber and search for an I Win button, because the only reason anybody played this game was for winning in combat... that's the only viable reason to play ANY game, right?

Helios can never escape his own prejudices, and he drags the game down with them every time he opens his yap.

• NunaKillerNunaKiller Member Posts: 13

As much as I hate to agree with him, he does have a point.  The majority of people played what gave them the best chance to win - rather than what was fun.  TKM certainly enabled that.  As did other defense stacking temps and mind DoT'd weapons, Riflemen, Combat Medics, and, naturally - Jedi.

PreCU was all about the dizzy, the knockdown, and/or hit the one pool all but two of the professions couldnt heal. 

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    What he fails to understand is that people liked TKA for the mystique of it. Yes, dizzy-KD was a stupid "I win" button in many cases, especially in PVE. However, he pretends like it wasn't possible for them to FIX THAT and leave the rest of the cool stuff (meditation, animations, etc) the same in TKA.

C

• MartufMartuf Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Dizzy kd is onething but actualy knowing how to mezmorize your target and INFLICT damage... he obviusly never tried REAL pvp

• dookseiddookseid Member Posts: 282

I suspect you may mean "the most broken and abused".  Dizzy-Knockdown, Dizzy-Knockdown, Dizzy-Knockdown.   That's why everyone played a TKA.  It was fun to most people because you couldn't lose - the same reason everyone played a rifleman - unhealable mind shots.  Memory burn tends to erase the bad things about a particular experience.  I'm just bringing that up because I want to reiterate that whatever combat options Entertainers get in their expertise, they won't be the overpowered and broken killing machines that TKAs were.  As such, they are not going to be the "most love, most played, classic SWG profession" that you are remembering.

I for one never played TKA.  Wasn't my cup of tea but whatever.  It's ok when they generalize but when a poster does they get called out.

I actually agree with some of what is said here,  the old system had it's flaws.  But to fix it would have been far easier and more rewarding than tearing down the house to fix a leaky faucet!!

Originally posted by NunaKiller
    As much as I hate to agree with him, he does have a point.  The majority of people played what gave them the best chance to win - rather than what was fun.  TKM certainly enabled that.  As did other defense stacking temps and mind DoT'd weapons, Riflemen, Combat Medics, and, naturally - Jedi. PreCU was all about the dizzy, the knockdown, and/or hit the one pool all but two of the professions couldnt heal. 

I don't disagree that many PvP'ers will inevitably gravitate to whatever profession has a measurable advantage ... but painting everyone with that brush is just wrong.  How many people in our City were excited to play TK before there was even Beta code, before they had any idea if it would suck or not?  They just liked the IDEA of it.

Slow steady tweaks to combat values and realizing the problems of a single unhealable mind pool were pretty obviously needed .... but the absolutist crap that Helios spews on subjects like this is exactly why he alienated so many people who wanted to be paying customers, but he just wouldn't let them.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

TKM was easy to take down if you kited them. It was the combination of CM that made them uber. It still didn't mean they were invincible if you caught one off guard.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

... and heaven forbid that other professions simply adapt.

I was getting my ass kicked regularly by dizzy/KD's.  Hey ... I wonder if there are any pets that have a dizzy special attack?  Well what do you know, Kusak Stalkers .... so if I train up a few of them and let them try to make the Dizzy stick and then slap a pistol whip on my opponent, maybe that would .....

Well, that would help if the devs would just keep working to make existing code work as intended and have Pet specials function reliably.  Nahhh, too simple, let's just rip apart the whole system and replace it, that'll work for sure.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The only thing that gets me about those type of responses from... anyone is ..

So basicly he is trying to say that everyone in SWG pvp'd... I mean mobs care if they get "unhealable mind shots".

Obviously people pvp'd in the game.. but to make a response like he did.. The vast majority of Riflemen and TKA's would have had to pvp... for it to even be relevant.

I played TKA with Master Pikemen. I always used a pike.. because I cleared nest.  The only reason I even kept TKM was to cure all the disease crap they added in later.

Oddly I never had much interest in PvP in SWG.. altho I play some pvp oriented games.. I just never thought of SWG as one I would pvp in.

Oh and by using his logic...

Combat Medic must have been the most loved class of all.  Especially after SOE introduced the little goodies that let you enhance poison and disease damage.

Some ability to damange the mind... with the added bonus of

Being the only profession that could fight from water.... and aoe bomb tossing into bases/bunkers

I know the Rifle and CM were a often taken combo.. but at least on Starsider I never felt I saw a ton of CM's running around.

Also seem to remember most TKM's getting owned by any ranged class with a clue.

Oh wait on CM's... remember long ago.. they could stock all the diseases on you after they got you incapped... so you got stuck in this infinite incap loop... I guess CM was my most beloved profession after all (I played one for about a week before I respec'd).

My most beloved professions were Smuggler, CH and Bio-Engineer (all obviously over powered since I loved them so much).

lol sorry...

(that was my apology for the ramble/rant...)

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

A TKM/Doc friend of mine, who was a much better pvp'er than I was, would always lose duels to my Fencer/Doc.

TKM was a great prof, all the others in need of work should have been improved, instead SOE turned on TKM like a red-headed stepchild

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

He must be forgeting about the 80% resist Comp armour that everyone was wearing.

And that in pre-cu - tk only had use of one weapon, damage type, and were only light armour piercing.

• CastleGoobCastleGoob Member Posts: 134

and fencer had stun baton and pikes had dot and pistoleers had stun with the geo pistol and combat medics had mind poisons and swords was overpowered and riflemen had mind shot and jedi had sabers with no resistant armour and but wait so it would seem each combat profession had its own strength. And it just needed figuring out.

Maybe a little tweaking an TESTING!! may have resolved that issue but no. Ripping the game an the community to pieces was the right call obviously.

And of course the Curb getting the thumbs up from the community is clearly not something these people would consider a good thing.

The cu which was hated by many was the first choice, but why stop there. The NGE was despised by many many more. Ah! now that's the one for them.

They can rag on pre-cu all they like. The question of which was more popular was answered long ago.

• BrentmeisterBrentmeister Member Posts: 79

Good God, I aam so disappointed in myself. After every post by this montebank (thank you, SNL Celebrity Jeopardy), I think, "Self, this madly raving, no innermonologue dolt's posts can't get any worse. He cannot possibly piss off any more people than he did today. He HAS to be doing this on purpose."

And then I AM PROVED TOTALLY WRONG. My God, when will I learn? image

There's free love on the Freelove Freeway.

• pjskullpjskull Member Posts: 65

Boy, this guy is a dillweed.  His justifications are as thin as tissue.  Saying they eliminated a great profession like TKA because the Dizzy/KD combo was an "I win" button is just plain retarded.  Carbineer had Charge Shot, etc.  Many professions had the ability to Dizzy/KD.  Many, like Charge Shot, were nerfed or had diminishing returns added, etc, which fixed the issue.

"We eliminated TKA because it was so powerful."  Yeah, we eliminated TKA because we admit we are too inept to actually fix things, and it's simpler to get rid of things even if they are overwhelmingly popular.

I could not agree more with the sentiment that this guy neededs to think a little more about how obtuse his posts are starting to sound.

Altre Monserrat - MBH/MP
    Aaden Monserrat - Elder Jedi
    Starsider - <DFC> - Dark Force Clan

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Boy Helios is retarded. Did they get him from his former job collecting carts at the safeway?

Not like they could have given a defense/timer to dizzy and knockdown and eliminated that one thing. Or mind stims.. or giving other classes mind pool specials...Or just..

Nevermind. There were hundreds of solutions to the pre pre-cu balance issues. They just neglected to try.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Originally posted by Shayde
    Boy Helios is retarded. Did they get him from his former job collecting carts at the safeway?

Not like they could have given a defense/timer to dizzy and knockdown and eliminated that one thing. Or mind stims.. or giving other classes mind pool specials...Or just..

Nevermind. There were hundreds of solutions to the pre pre-cu balance issues. They just neglected to try.

Have you seen Lewis Black's "Red White & Screwed" ?  SOE reminds me of his description of what his Congressmen tell him when he asks why we haven't gotten further along with solar power:

"Because it's haaaard [whiny voice] .... it's really haaaard.  The sun goes away at night ... and it doesn't tell us where it goes."

Originally posted by Shayde

Have you seen Lewis Black's "Red White & Screwed" ?  SOE reminds me of his description of what his Congressmen tell him when he asks why we haven't gotten further along with solar power:

"Because it's haaaard [whiny voice] .... it's really haaaard.  The sun goes away at night ... and it doesn't tell us where it goes."

Best stand up special in years! Very true and applies to the corporate world almost as the governmental. I especially liked the bit about the President's "handlers." WHAT IS HE A BEAR?

• thefixerthefixer Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Antarious  
    Oh wait on CM's... remember long ago.. they could stock all the diseases on you after they got you incapped... so you got stuck in this infinite incap loop... I guess CM was my most beloved profession after all (I played one for about a week before I respec'd).

Ahh, I have some good memories of CMs.  We had a CM in our guild that was awesome.  Really quiet guy, but knew how to play the skill like no one else.  There was some loudmouth kid from a rival guild talking trash at the c-net starport.  He had a TKM template and he challenged our CM to a duel.  From a distance it looked odd, because it didn't look the CM was doing anything to fight back.  After a short time, the annoying kid incapped the CM and immediately DB'ed him.  He stood in front of the starport laughing and making fun of us, and just generally being an idiot.  Our CM came running back from the cloner and just stood in front of the kid, looking at him.  The kid starts bragging and going on about how he won the duel.  The CM just stands there and says only one thing: "Just wait.".

No sooner had he said that, then the kid falls flat on the ground, incapped.  He gets back up again. spouting "Whatever, I DB'ed you so I wi...."  Falls flat on the ground again.  This time he wakes up and immediately goes into meditate.  His health goes all the way back up, so he gets up and runs off towards the med center.  Makes it about 50 feet, and incaps again.  Our CM just silently follows him all the way, not saying a word.  This goes on about 8 or so more times.  Never did make it all the way to the med center.  He finally just logged off.

Funniest thing I've ever seen in the game.

Originally posted by Brentmeister
    Best stand up special in years! Very true and applies to the corporate world almost as the governmental. I especially liked the bit about the President's "handlers." WHAT IS HE A BEAR?

Exactly .... now whenever Helios speaks to customers, somebody at SOE must be yelling "The meat!  Quick, get the meat!"

Originally posted by Brentmeister

Exactly .... now whenever Helios speaks to customers, somebody at SOE must be yelling "The meat!  Quick, get the meat!"

And then say "Oh, Poopy!" when they can't find any? Loved the rant on how cursing bothers these types of folks.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Another thing Helios seems to have forgotten is that dizzy/KD did not work vs. animals.

Oh but I guess everyone PVPed just like everyone "sat around being bored" in camps.

What a dope.

C