Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardcore MMO?????? Are there any out there or coming out?

I was just wondering if there are any SUPER hardcore MMOs out there to play today?  I'm looking for a MMO that doesn't hold your hand from the beginning.  I want something that basically plops you in the game and doesn't have little blinking indicators telling you every which direction to go for this and that.  I want something that is challenging.  WoW is NOT challenging I would rather play pickup sticks, it's not immersive as you basically solo until you get 60 then you raid.  The only game I've found to be immersive were Underlight which I played a long time ago and eventually replaced it with EQ 1.  EQ 1 used to be GREAT until Luclin came out then it went downhill because it got too dang easy.  I'm sick of all these games coming out which offer no challenge, it's all about money, all these devs are just catering to the casual players now who just want their hand held the whole time.  The reason I even began to play these games was because I liked the challenge and interaction.  When I started EQ 1... it was CHALLENGING!!!!  It took me a long time to reach lvl 20 and you know what when I got there I felt pretty proud of myself and all my hardwork into my character at that point.  With WoW I get all the NPCs to hold my hand, I lvl fast and get lvl 20 and say big whoop dee doo I'm 20 I would've rather played Quake 4.  Even Vanguard I was hoping would be hardcore because they are the guys that made EQ 1 but now I'm very SKEPTICAL as it seems like it will be a WoW clone.  Please can anyone help me, I don't care how long I have to wait but I want a CHALLENGING GAME like EQ 1 was in the beginning up until Luclin.  Hell Sony could even release a EQ classic server and I would go back in a heartbeat.  I MISS the good old days and if ALL these MMOs coming out are going to be stupid easy and hand holding from now on, then I guess my days of online games are over sad but true.  I"m pleading for anyone's support because I need some advice as to any hardcore MMO I could play that doesn't offer hand holding and offers the same challenge as the original EQ 1 did pre luclin. 

Comments

• OwenMcQOwenMcQ Member Posts: 91

While I don't think Vanguard will be "hardcore" per se, I certainly don't see it as a WoW clone.

Lineage II still appears to be going strong, and I understand that is pretty hardcore. If it weren't for all the botting and the fact that it's been out for a couple years, thus, making it difficult for a new player to start out, I'd probably be playing that myself.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438
    There isn't much challenge in MMORPG's period. Not even EQ1, unless you consider a big grind a challenge. In that case, Lineage 2 is about as challenging as they come. It takes many people a couple years to get to max level. There is open PvP and if you die, you may drop an item that took months to get or lose enough xp to drop a level. There isn't many quests, you mainly just have to find a good grind spot through trial and error and stick with it.
  • MaxziusMaxzius Member UncommonPosts: 248
    I'm waiting, as patiently as possible, for Trials of Ascension.

http://www.shadowpool.com/index.php

=====================
    -Just My Thoughts-
    Max

Currently playing: Nothing

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      Vanguard will be right up your alley actually.  It is meant to be an EQ with lots of more features basically.  Although I never found EQ hard per say :)

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• bkmmobkmmo Member Posts: 20
    well I'm not going to hype up any games anymore until I play them for awhile.  Yea I really do hope Vanguard turns out to be pretty good we'll see.
  • donkey35donkey35 Member Posts: 45
    You cant get anymore hardcore that Darkfall. Its not out yet

Darkfall the only real game (if it comes out)

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

I really understand where the OP is coming from having played EQ back in 99 myself (pre kunark). The thing is at that time the "whole" fantasy mmorpg scene was new for everyone, so yea from nostalga it can seem like Everquest 1 was the best game ever made. It was new then and the "vision" really braught people together for groups, so you may have made more "friends" and networking than some do in a lifetime.

Point in fact, if you ever tried to return to everquest, even as recent as their progressive servers its just not the same (and never will be). You'll find that maybe the game wasnt as enjoyable as you remember.

My advice is wait for a new game, since it sounds like thats what you want. Vanguard,AoC,War or a hit warcraft.com and watch for their new servers they bring up from time to time. As for a hardcore PVE game the best you'll really find is endless treadmill like L2/FFX or other asian potion popers. It seems the "west" and corporations are locked into this appealing to casual gamers craze since it brings in the most $$$$$.

• titanicbbb67titanicbbb67 Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Maxzius
    I'm waiting, as patiently as possible, for Trials of Ascension.

http://www.shadowpool.com/index.php

he made a funny image
  • xmoleculexxmoleculex Member Posts: 98
    It's hardly a new MMO, but if you haven't played FFXI, it may offer the challenge you are looking for.

I haven't been playing it long, but it reminds me of classi EQ1 in some ways. The death penalty actually hurts and soloing is tough or near impossible for some classes. You have to complete quests to unlock level caps or access certain areas and items. It definitely has a larger learning curve than WoW or EQ2.

• franksalbefranksalbe Member Posts: 228

TRials of Ascension... LOL that is one sick joke. image

Darkfalls is what you are looking for sir.

That is strictly PVP oriented.

Faranthil Tanathalos
    EverQuest 1 - Ranger
    Star Wars Galaxies - Master Ranger
    Everquest2 - Ranger WarhammerOnline - Shadow Warrior
    WOW - Hunter

That's right I like bows and arrows.

• NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90
    Dude, trust me when I say forget Vanguard. It IS EQ2.5/EQ3. They DID make it very much like EQ since the creators of Vanguard were the creators of EQ. They meant to make it a sort of follow up to EQ1. They said so in an interview. The only difference I've been able to tell so far between EQ2 and Vanguard is Vanguard added more "stuff". Call it Diplomacy, quests, unpopulated area to wander through... it's just more "stuff". There's nothing new here.

I'm waiting on TCOS and AoC now. Vanguard is the disappointment I expected it to be. At least TCOS made 3-legged spider things. How many times can you kill 10 wolves and return with pelts?!?! How many scorp venoms does the world need!! AoC has positional fighting. No more point-click-wait fighting. We need some fantasy put back into the fantasy games I say!

-Naaz.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    Darkfall might be quite hardcore but you're going to have sustain a high level of hope that it will ever be released.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

although the game is far from being released, i would recommend keeping an eye on the game Fallen Earth.. i think this is going to be a "super hardcore MMO" mate image

Fallen Earth information

Official website

• eytchdieytchdi Member Posts: 26
    hardcore?... hmm. i think goonzu online..
    since you have to do a lot of thigns to rise at the top..

H.&D.™

• bkmmobkmmo Member Posts: 20
    I don't know I'm not going to forget Vanguard just yet, It might be a good game who knows.  I'm thinking of playing a good shooter though atm....