Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cult of Brad?

Comments

• Originally posted by anarchyart
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Anyone who is selling you a game for gamers made by gamers is selling you horse maneuer.  If you can ever get all genuine gamers to agree that any set of featrues is "good"  I would jump outta my seat and run for cover because the world would be ending and hell would probably be frozen over.
    Hmm, normally your posts make me laugh. Guess they can't all be gold. Fact is, Brad is a gamer, and he's making Vanguard. By gamers, for gamers. Your knowledge of manure not withstanding.

Well  I suppose that was a little mmm abrupt and i don't mean to insult either you or Brad.  However I highly suggest you never put any stock in a statement like that.  Seriously it is inherently meaningless.

There is too much variation in "gamer".  Its no better than saying its a game for humans made by humans.  Even if it was more specific and was a MMORPG made for MMORPG gamers by MMORPG gamers, it would still be virtually meaningless.  What if the Dev are Neocron gamers and you are an EQ gamer?  Do you think you would agree?  I doubt it.

I guess it was a little unclear as one might suppose I meant Vanguard is horse manure.  But what I meant is the statement itself is BS.  Although I think Brad believes it has meaning and is good.

Now granted Brad is an EQ dev and a gamer from the MUD EQ was based on and you are a former EQ gamer so yes Vanguard may be a wise choice for you (or at least may reaonsably appear to be one).  But that is a whole nother kettle of fish.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Many reasons come to mind, but mostly, Mister CEO dude, is a gamer, like most of us. He interacts with the forums, he pushes his staff to interact with the boards. They are a group that seems to try and have fun with their jobs. Not many people can boast about how they have fun at work.

Mister CEO dude, has a vision, and he is making the most he can out of it. Yes, he is a salesman, but he is selling what he feels is a good product, he is not taking something he knows is a piece of poo, and telling everyone how great it is. He is only defending the game he os building. Who wouldn't?

Yes Mister CEO dude has a good size fan base, and yes some of that fan base is just "pro Brad" and anyone that speaks against him is evil. But you also have to admit a lot of the people speaking against him are spouting half truths, speculations, and opinions. Sure it goes both ways, but if Mister CEO dude sees a post that is giving speculation, or opinions as truths, he will step up and try to straighten it out. Nothing wrong with that.

Not so nice guy!

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Games made by gamers for gamers... yup its a pointless statement as said before, honestly what is the likelihood of someone actually making it to a decision making position without passion for gaming?

On top of that almost every game, never mind MMO says the same thing!

And a very good point was made, it seems that if you get three MMO players together and ask them what is their "perfect" game, I guarantee that there will be some variation - even if you chose them from the same guild in the same game - so what relevance does being a gamer truly have?

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by wyzwun
    um no. He was the LEAD on those games, those games sucked. Any questions?

True but he was the Lead for SOE not Sigil. He did not run SOE. He runs Sigil. Therefore we must assume he has control over Vanguard where someone else had control over those 2. Being a lead developer does not give you all the power in the world. Owning the company however does.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

He [Raph Koster] was moved off of SWG before things when really downhill, and he fought against them. Hence his leaving SOE.

He is not technically unemployed as he is making his own start up studio and about to start work on his newest mmo, as well as still doing lots of panel and discussions at conventions around the world.

You should be Ann Coulter's press agent. That's a wonderful spin! image But it's not accurate.

SWG was in trouble long before the CU and the NGE. Those things made it suck more, but it was sucking just fine already. The game had so little content you could barely call it a game. Star Wars without space at launch. What a mess.

Raph Koster, in my opinion, was "demoted up" at SOE. They gave him a new title where he couldn't hurt any more games. Finally he moved on. That's not uncommon in a corporate setting. So he's running around giving speeches. That works for me. So long as he isn't making anything.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Amathe

He [Raph Koster] was moved off of SWG before things when really downhill, and he fought against them. Hence his leaving SOE.

He is not technically unemployed as he is making his own start up studio and about to start work on his newest mmo, as well as still doing lots of panel and discussions at conventions around the world.

You should be Ann Coulter's press agent. That's a wonderful spin! image But it's not accurate.

SWG was in trouble long before the CU and the NGE. Those things made it suck more, but it was sucking just fine already. The game had so little content you could barely call it a game. Star Wars without space at launch. What a mess.

Raph Koster, in my opinion, was "demoted up" at SOE. They gave him a new title where he couldn't hurt any more games. Finally he moved on. That's not uncommon in a corporate setting. So he's running around giving speeches. That works for me. So long as he isn't making anything.

Yours is opinion, mine is fact.

No one said it wasn’t lacking content, but he was moved off the project after he had overseen the integration of player cities. He has said, many time, in many interviews, that content was slated to be created, but mismanagement pushed the game out early. It was not his design, or development that created the lack of content, its was the releasing to early because of mismanagement at SOE and LEC.

All of the concerns about Pre-CU content and balance could have easily been corrected if they had just added content and spent time of on balance. But the MANAGEMENT used *all will be adressed in the Combat upgrade* as an excuse to not do so, and continue to use resources to create the expansions, and , as we now know, two complete new game systems.

He was moved off the project because he INSISTED that those issues be addressed, but management has $$ in there eyes and used the already developed for release, but not finished space component as an expansion, ignoring all other player concerns.

For your info, he was place in one of the lead roles of design for EQ2. Designing many systems and content for that game.

So, there you have it.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

No one said it wasn’t lacking content, but he was moved off the project after he had overseen the integration of player cities. He has said, many time, in many interviews, that content was slated to be created, but mismanagement pushed the game out early. It was not his design, or development that created the lack of content, its was the releasing to early because of mismanagement at SOE and LEC.

All of the concerns about Pre-CU content and balance could have easily been corrected if they had just added content and spent time of on balance. But the MANAGEMENT used *all will be adressed in the Combat upgrade* as an excuse to not do so, and continue to use resources to create the expansions, and , as we now know, two complete new game systems.
    He was moved off the project because he INSISTED that those issues be addressed, but management has $$ in there eyes and used the already developed for release, but not finished space component as an expansion, ignoring all other player concerns.

For your info, he was place in one of the lead roles of design for EQ2. Designing many systems and content for that game.

So, there you have it.

Your facts are wrong. Raph Koster is an advocate for sandbox play. You don't have to take my word for it. Read what he has written. He is the author of the quote "content be damned." I beta tested SWG. I played it at launch. And your suggestion that Raph was pushing for vastly more content is outright rubblish. In fact, I personally questioned him in a post about the lack of content, and he replied by saying that once you put certain iconic SWG foes in the game, you can't add layers on top of that because those are the benchmark for power/challenge in the IP.

If you are a fan of Raph Koster that's fine. But there is no way you can whitewash the harm he did to that game and pawn that off as "fact." These guys had very advantage. They had one of the most popular IP's in the world. A huge budget. The company at that time who had made some of the biggest name mmos. They brought over the lead Dev from another of the most popular mmos. They had Lucas Arts as a partner. And the game was highly anticipated. Plus there were major motion pictures, some of the highest grossing films of all time, being released while the game was live -  the mother of all ads. This was T-ball. All they had to do was hit the ball off the damn stick, but that blowhard pseudo-intellectual Koster flubbed it. He goes down as one of the biggest failures in mmos history in my book.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

So, there you have it.

Haha maybe this answers the OPs original question about the cult of Brad.  There is also a Cult of Raph.

What do they share in common?  A lot of personal communication and explanation especiallly in the form of blogs and forums.

Those who agree with and read their stuff have a more personal connection.

Ok guys

Here is the deal. I usually don't let things like this slip because of the whole inter office memo protection act of 1998, but this is out of control. Here are the facts, hopefully this will cull some tempers, and straighten out a few misconceptions.

SW:G was released as an unfinished project, who gave the command? Oscar the Grouch. Him and Kermit had a falling out, and before the project went belly up Ronald McDonald convinced Oscar the best thing to do would be release the game as is.

After Mickey Mouse and Minnie reviewed the game, the found there were a lot of unhappy people in it, namely Uncle Scrooge and his three nephews.

Mickey Mouse went to Humpty Dumpty to see what insight he had, but Humpty Dumpty was stunned which caused him to fall from his perch, hence shattering his skull and was hospitalized in a coma for the duration of this story.

So a small troop of ants stopped and discussed the SW:G issues with Mickey Mouse. After a short sing a long of M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

After this CU was created with the help of Big Bird and The Count. 

After the CU add on was massivly complained about by several herds of Yaks, and a flock of geese. There was no other choice then to implement the NGE version.

This lead to rejoicing with in the Yak herds, but still left the Geese migrating to other games.

So in my opinion, the whle problem started with Oscar the Grouch for releaseing a half assed product in the first place, and was contributed to by the Hamburgular, and Humpty Dumpty.

Not so nice guy!

• Originally posted by lordtwisted
     Ok guys  Here is the deal. I usually don't let things like this slip because of the whole inter office memo protection act of 1998, but this is out of control. Here are the facts, hopefully this will cull some tempers, and straighten out a few misconceptions.  SW:G was released as an unfinished project, who gave the command? Oscar the Grouch. Him and Kermit had a falling out, and before the project went belly up Ronald McDonald convinced Oscar the best thing to do would be release the game as is.  After Mickey Mouse and Minnie reviewed the game, the found there were a lot of unhappy people in it, namely Uncle Scrooge and his three nephews.  Mickey Mouse went to Humpty Dumpty to see what insight he had, but Humpty Dumpty was stunned which caused him to fall from his perch, hence shattering his skull and was hospitalized in a coma for the duration of this story.  So a small troop of ants stopped and discussed the SW:G issues with Mickey Mouse. After a short sing a long of M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!  After this CU was created with the help of Big Bird and The Count.  After the CU add on was massivly complained about by several herds of Yaks, and a flock of geese. There was no other choice then to implement the NGE version.  This lead to rejoicing with in the Yak herds, but still left the Geese migrating to other games.  So in my opinion, the whle problem started with Oscar the Grouch for releaseing a half assed product in the first place, and was contributed to by the Hamburgular, and Humpty Dumpty.   
    Now I'm confused, but probably if I knew more about SWG I wouldn't be.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth Yours is opinion, mine is fact.

All of the concerns about Pre-CU content and balance could have easily been corrected if they had just added content and spent time of on balance. But the MANAGEMENT used *all will be adressed in the Combat upgrade* as an excuse to not do so, and continue to use resources to create the expansions, and , as we now know, two complete new game systems. He was moved off the project because he INSISTED that those issues be addressed, but management has $$ in there eyes and used the already developed for release, but not finished space component as an expansion, ignoring all other player concerns.

So, there you have it.

Your facts are wrong. Raph Koster is an advocate for sandbox play. You don't have to take my word for it. Read what he has written. He is the author of the quote "content be damned." I beta tested SWG. I played it at launch. And your suggestion that Raph was pushing for vastly more content is outright rubblish. In fact, I personally questioned him in a post about the lack of content, and he replied by saying that once you put certain iconic SWG foes in the game, you can't add layers on top of that because those are the benchmark for power/challenge in the IP.

If you are a fan of Raph Koster that's fine. But there is no way you can whitewash the harm he did to that game and pawn that off as "fact." These guys had very advantage. They had one of the most popular IP's in the world. A huge budget. The company at that time who had made some of the biggest name mmos. They brought over the lead Dev from another of the most popular mmos. They had Lucas Arts as a partner. And the game was highly anticipated. Plus there were major motion pictures, some of the highest grossing films of all time, being released while the game was live -  the mother of all ads. This was T-ball. All they had to do was hit the ball off the damn stick, but that blowhard pseudo-intellectual Koster flubbed it. He goes down as one of the biggest failures in mmos history in my book.

"Fundamentally, SWG was launched too early from a game design point of view. It may not have been from a financial point of view - there's considerations like how much had been spent, how soon it would earn back the investment, that sort of thing - but most systems in there were first-pass at best. The place where that was most obvious was in the relative lack of content at launch. The tools simply came on too late to make the volume of content needed, and even though a heroic final push tried to populate the game with distinctive content, it just wasn't anywhere near enough.

"A large chunk of the blame lies with me, for being over-ambitious with the design. I don't think there were all that many fundamental problems with the overall design itself - some, sure, but nothing like the closed-economy debacle in UO, for example. [The systems] were first-pass, but mostly

conceptually solid. (I am sure current and ex-SWG players will want to argue this point in detail, but hey, this is an interview, and there's no room to give my detailed postmortem on every system! Yes, I still think something like HAM [the threefold Health-Agility-Mental damage system] could work, but yeah, it was probably too complicated.)

"I was not involved directly with SWG from about four months after launch. People seem to think that as [Chief Creative Officer] I was somehow in control of all the design being done at SOE. That's not really the case at all; I had some influence, but I spent most of my time doing pitches, R&D,

Not sure why, but you seem to think that sandbox games = No
    content. You couldn’t be more wrong.

You entire Post was made up BS.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by wyzwun
    Sigil are gamers who make games? I have never ever read a single block of text from Sigil people that would tell me that.

Sigil: The city of Splendor, City of Doors/doorways (free translation).  This is the main city in Planescape, in the universe of D&D.  This city act as a capital and a relay for "planar travelers".

Worshipping the Lady is a very bad idea, because she kills peoples who worship her.

Maybe systematically worshipping and praising Brad & Sigil is no better than systematically hating them, such as you are doing.  I may question many thing about Sigil, Brad and friends.  I may wonder if they are sane or ready for psyschic internment.  Are they gamers?  If they aren't, they pay a marketing team to give the image of been gamers.  Smed is prolly a poseur, not a real gamer.  However, Brad?  Hmmm, he kinda sound and look like a gamer.  I mean, I didn't personnally saw him play...but...from soooo many aspects in EQ, he feels like a gamer (unless it was the techies?).  Raiding wasn't much of an effort or thinking, it is just expanding the "loot" system, as already present in the DM book...however, if we start talking about raiding, I would derail and tell you how wrong and detrimental to the game raiding really is since the DM loot table wasn't designed with anything but a single group experience in mind.

Turbines staff may or not have been gamers, but I am pretty sure most of their designers have no idea that Sigil is the main city of Planescape, a TSR product with a D&D label on it...now that is kinda embarassing.  But Sigil, maybe half of their staff ain't gamers, but I have reasonable doubts to believe that the half that matter are gamers, and this half that matter include the whole design team­.

Now, defining gamer might be something of a challenge.  For some peoples someone that play a shooter is a gamer.  For me been a gamer is been attached to games who arent in real time.  There is no written rule that say a gamer must love games that aren't in real time, but my personnal experience teaches me that peoples who really love games, they love games that aren't evolving in real time, where they can focus, on the game itself.  While someone who focus solely on real time game, usually ain't much of a gamer himself, nothing prevent someone from enjoying a game.  Not everyone playing a game is automatically a gamer.  EQ and Vanguard are in real time, but their is this system behind, a system that could be translated in turns and rounds quite easily.

Again, their design team seems to be gamers...and they pretty much seems to be versed in the old D&D thing, which Turbines was not enought saddly for them.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Another great job in making something more then what it appears ANofayle.

Main Entry: sig·il
    Pronunciation: 'si-jil
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English sigulle, from Latin sigillum -- more at SEAL
    1 : SEAL, SIGNET
    2 : a sign, word, or device held to have occult power in astrology or magic

Are you really illiiterate enough to believe that TSR created the english, or in this case the middle english language?  Just because the named a city in D&D Sigil doesn't make it the true meaning of the word. Other wise we all be worshiping and one named Jesus, which is a very coommon hispanic name.

Not so nice guy!

To anyone wishing to worship Brad...

Sigil is ruled by the Lady.

When someone worship the Lady, she appears and destroy whoever is worshipping her.

She leave.

Now, in our world...Brad is ruling Sigil...do you really want to worship him?  If he is as the Lady, then he doesn't like to even be talked about overly...

Originally posted by lordtwisted

Are you really illiiterate enough to believe that TSR created the english, or in this case the middle english language?  Just because the named a city in D&D Sigil doesn't make it the true meaning of the word. Other wise we all be worshiping and one named Jesus, which is a very coommon hispanic name.

LOL.  I am a gamer.  Verant was crowded with gamers.  We are all explicitly fans of D&D.  The amount of examples in EQ would be overwhelming.  Thinking it is a "coincidences" when Sigil is the center of Planescape...

If Brad himself says it is a coincidence, I will STFU, however, I am pretty sure I am right on target.  TSR doesn't hold the rights over the word SIGIL, however, a gaming company naming itself SIGIL and making games inspired by D&D...well...1+1 = 2.  They are most certainly welcome to use it, but you really should wonder where it come from, why and the reason behind.  They pick that name as an "homage", a mark of respect toward Planescape.

Now...if you want an history setting.  Brad and folks left SoE, they are SHAKEN by this decision, leaving Verant was certainly not an easy decision for Brad or anyone else.  Planescape was at it highest popularity and I have many friends who seriously like this setting.  Taking an "homage" name seems definitely right with that particuliar mindset.  They "lose" control over EQ, they retreat toward something they enjoy and feel confident.  I would have done a similar action if I would have been in this situation...Add the FACTS that the design decision about EQ and PoP where made and that Brad & friends where unhappy and that Sigil in Planescape reflect their ideology of planetravel...and everything unravel just well, Sigil, the city of doors/doorways, is a LOT harder for travel than PoP, which reflect how they like planetravel themselves.

Gratz on been 1 with the uber raiders logic, insulting, arrogants and with a lack of self estim, don't ass-ume everyone is like you however.  You have pass the first test into joining an uber-guild.

First of all, I am more of a casual guild type person myself. Which is why I am the leader of my guild. I don't like to live by other peoples rules.

In my opinion raiding is a waste of time.

But if you spent as much time raiding in game as you do raiding these forums, you might one day be uber yourself. Good luck.

As far as the name Sigil. I agree. Your reasoning does make a good point. And if it was not intentional, then it was very good side benifeit I guess.

But, since you want to crack jokes about Ass-umeing things. You are Ass-umeing you are right. You were not told directly by anyone affliated with Sigil that this is the meaning behind there name, you said as much yourself.

So then why can I not Ass-ume that Sigil is what the middle english meaning leads me to beleive it means. That it is a "sign" a sign of greater things to come, a "Sign"" of great gaming, a "Sign" from god that I should play this game.

And your final point? I have plenty of self esteem, enough to share. Arrogant? Go back and read your own post from the past in these forums, you have so much as demanded a no raid server from Sigil, how much more arrogant can a person get? Adn discriminating. You hate raid type players such much, you attempt to use the term as an insult.

And since you want to try to trade insults, you tell me I have low self esteem. I say you are confused about your sexual orientation... So there!

Not so nice guy!

But, since you want to crack jokes about Ass-umeing things. You are Ass-umeing you are right. You were not told directly by anyone affliated with Sigil that this is the meaning behind there name, you said as much yourself.
     So then why can I not Ass-ume that Sigil is what the middle english meaning leads me to beleive it means. That it is a "sign" a sign of greater things to come, a "Sign"" of great gaming, a "Sign" from god that I should play this game.
      And your final point? I have plenty of self esteem, enough to share. Arrogant? Go back and read your own post from the past in these forums, you have so much as demanded a no raid server from Sigil, how much more arrogant can a person get? Adn discriminating. You hate raid type players such much, you attempt to use the term as an insult.
      And since you want to try to trade insults, you tell me I have low self esteem. I say you are confused about your sexual orientation... So there!

You enjoy making personnal conflicts and personnal attack all the time (other posts to).  No matter how much you agree/disagree with me, you have to recognize that me, I remain always on the game design, unless someone draw me out with personnal attacks and insults. I pity peoples who follow a person like you in a guild, someone who attack and insults.  See, you concede me game-related point (Sigil origin, I update it since you reply, more info), but you focus on personnal attacks.  I hardly see what personnal attacks will bring you, but I guess you try to improve your self estime by attacking others.  If this is what you want, sure, I don't mind too much, I don't have much focus on this "social thing".  What matter is the in-game considerations.

No matter how much I hate raiding, no matter how much I want to be 100% free from it, I nearly never say, or let peoples believe, that raiding is a waste of time. (unless I get really angry)  Raiding is a different gameplay, and if SOME peoples like it, good for them.  The whole game could be argued as a waste of time.  But enjoying the game is not a waste of time.  Gaming is life as Admin says!  image

And for me to enjoy the game, I must be free of raiding, completely (before been free of PvP if there is an order of priority, but been free of both would be better).  I know that a growing number of peoples are also requesting to be completely free of raiding.  I don't need to be uber, I just need to be free of raiding, completely...and trying to be uber is a in-game driving goal...so raiding must not be, in any optimal/exclusive way, leading to nonraid-uberness.  Achieving uberness or not is merely a side aspect, and if raiding lead to uberness, than I won't be enjoying the game.  No ying/yang talk, I am as I am, with all my flaws...and a few qualities.  image

EDIT: The amount of work to get a non-raiding server up and running with merchants NPC "selling" raidloot is a joke, something that can be done quite fast indeed.  The amount of players that would enjoy these servers definitely justify such little work.

Reading back on your past post, you do, repeatedly hate on raiders, I am not even a raid player, and I am tired of hearing about it.

It boils down to this. If they granted you your raid free server, then they have to grant people the Vulmane free server, the gnome free server, the group free server, the solo free server, the dev free server, the Anofayle free server, the guild free server, the faction free server, the crafting free server, the diplomacy free server, the housing free server, the bad charachter name free server, the level 60 at creation server, the...

Get the point? They are making the game the way they have always wanted to. They are setting up the servers the way they have always wanted too.

Raiding in games is a part of life, and so is PvP which is why you see so many games returning to it after the short stint of non-PvP games. Get over and learn to play the game your way, without feeling left out of something because it's part of the same game.

Life isn't fair, you're never going to be the best, there will always be someone better.

Look I made a post without insulting you, think you can maintain it?

Not so nice guy!

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318
    No they don't. One raid free server and I bet it is the most populated, he is far from alone in hating raiders and raiding.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

Originally posted by sebbonx
    No they don't. One raid free server and I bet it is the most populated, he is far from alone in hating raiders and raiding.

I really doubt that is true. I have only been on about two raids in my 15 years of gaming, and I have no problems with raid mobs being in game. If you have the time it makes for some fun. And hurts me in no way. So I just can't see where this hate comes from....And since I tend to be more towards the unbalanced, or hostile side of life, I really can't see this effecting too many people. It would be curious to find some factual numbers behind your argument.

But I gurantee there are more gnome haters then there are raid haters.

Not so nice guy!

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Originally posted by Anofalye

LOL.  I am a gamer.  Verant was crowded with gamers.  We are all explicitly fans of D&D.  The amount of examples in EQ would be overwhelming.  Thinking it is a "coincidences" when Sigil is the center of Planescape...

If Brad himself says it is a coincidence, I will STFU, however, I am pretty sure I am right on target.  TSR doesn't hold the rights over the word SIGIL, however, a gaming company naming itself SIGIL and making games inspired by D&D...well...1+1 = 2.  They are most certainly welcome to use it, but you really should wonder where it come from, why and the reason behind.  They pick that name as an "homage", a mark of respect toward Planescape.

Now...if you want an history setting.  Brad and folks left SoE, they are SHAKEN by this decision, leaving Verant was certainly not an easy decision for Brad or anyone else.  Planescape was at it highest popularity and I have many friends who seriously like this setting.  Taking an "homage" name seems definitely right with that particuliar mindset.  They "lose" control over EQ, they retreat toward something they enjoy and feel confident.  I would have done a similar action if I would have been in this situation...Add the FACTS that the design decision about EQ and PoP where made and that Brad & friends where unhappy and that Sigil in Planescape reflect their ideology of planetravel...and everything unravel just well, Sigil, the city of doors/doorways, is a LOT harder for travel than PoP, which reflect how they like planetravel themselves.

Gratz on been 1 with the uber raiders logic, insulting, arrogants and with a lack of self estim, don't ass-ume everyone is like you however.  You have pass the first test into joining an uber-guild.

Well considering the whole of the original EQ setup, as designed by Brad, is just a big blatant D+D ripoff...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• Originally posted by Sturmrabe
    Originally posted by Anofalye
     Another great job in making something more then what it appears ANofayle. Main Entry: sig·il
    2 : a sign, word, or device held to have occult power in astrology or magic  Are you really illiiterate enough to believe that TSR created the english, or in this case the middle english language?  Just because the named a city in D&D Sigil doesn't make it the true meaning of the word. Other wise we all be worshiping and one named Jesus, which is a very coommon hispanic name.

Well considering the whole of the original EQ setup, as designed by Brad, is just a big blatant D+D ripoff...

Most DIKU MUDs were.  And EQ was was on a DIKU MUD.  So was it really Brad who ripped off D&D?  Or did it all kinda form that way from many factors.

Just another reason LP MUDs were better.  If but for a flip of a coin things could have been radically different.

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

I've never heard of Brad before Vanguard showed some hype on these forums.  I like many others here read his posts and so forth.  Vanguard sounds like it could be a really good game, but not a WoW killer.  I think WoW can only kill itself.  Anyways,   I don't know much about Brad but what I do know I've found out from the Massively Online Gamer podcast ~ mogarmy.com.  Also a bit from the Vanguard FAQ.  I have to say its nice to see a Dev from an upcoming MMO talking to potential customers.  Usually we don't even know who the Devs are...

Originally posted by mehhem
    I've never heard of Brad before Vanguard showed some hype on these forums.  I like many others here read his posts and so forth.  Vanguard sounds like it could be a really good game, but not a WoW killer.  I think WoW can only kill itself.  Anyways,   I don't know much about Brad but what I do know I've found out from the Massively Online Gamer podcast ~ mogarmy.com.  Also a bit from the Vanguard FAQ.  I have to say its nice to see a Dev from an upcoming MMO talking to potential customers.  Usually we don't even know who the Devs are...

Good comment!

I agree WoW, will be the only WoW killer. WoW supposedly holds 50% of the market right now. But that doesn't take into account, multiple account holders, farm sites, people who have other game accounts, and play WoW part time.

But keep it at the 50% mark just for easy number sake. I know for a fact that a lot of people in WoW have grown very bored with the game, and are waiting for Burning Crusades to maintain them for a bit longer. I think most of those people are going to burn through burning crusades with in a couple months. Blizzard won't have more content ready by then, so what is going to happen?

Not so nice guy!

I agree WoW, will be the only WoW killer.

Th only game on the horizon that has the potential to put a meaningful dent in WoW subscriptions is Warhammer. The only WoW-killer I can foresee is World of Starcraft.