Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played for the first time last night.

MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I have to say, im impressed, while the GUI was a little overwhelming...because
there was allot going on in it.

I had a fun time.

----------
"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    It's fun for a few days (weeks) but come back in while when you have played in the same missions dungeons, seens the same mobs all over again.
  • unholy414unholy414 Member Posts: 37
    I played CoH about 2 years ago, I had a lv50 fire/fire/fire mastery blaster. I got news of the CoX trial and after playing for about an hour tops, I couldn't play anymore. I was just too bored. It felt like the roller coaster did a few loops and got stuck on the track and the safety harnesses wouldn't come up and it took 5 hours for the maintenance crew to figure out wtf was wrong and I threw up all overmyself and someone threw up all down the back of my shirt and that's what it was basically like.

I tried to like the game again but I was not about to force myself.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Aguitha
    It's fun for a few days (weeks) but come back in while when you have played in the same missions dungeons, seens the same mobs all over again.

Maybe I haven’t done enough, but it seems like the dungeons
    are random layouts and the mobs are also to a point.

I don’t know, I haven't hit that wall yet. I did change my ...um.. Status? Went
    from villains to murderous. That upped the challenge of the missions, and i
    started seeing mobs i had not before... Not sure if that’s because of the
    missions or the new danger rating.

*shrug*

Still having fun.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Aguitha

Maybe I haven’t done enough, but it seems like the dungeons are random layouts and the mobs are also to a point.

I don’t know, I haven't hit that wall yet. I did change my ...um.. Status? Went from villains to murderous. That upped the challenge of the missions, and i started seeing mobs i had not before... Not sure if that’s because of the missions or the new danger rating.

*shrug*

Still having fun.

It is a little of both...also, there was a bug that was keeping Lt.s from spawning that was fixed. Also, dont assume the 'girnd' whiners are correct, if you actually read through the missions and dont just blow through the content, I doubt you will find it a grind.
  • RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    COV is indeed rolercoaster ride.

When i first started - i said to myself - wow! why is nobody talking about this game , it is awsome!

After month of play the repetitivnes hits you. And that is a massive downer...

It is really a shame Cryptic didnt invest more time in building diferent mission maps.
    They really start to change just after level 20+

But if you survive a downer, game opens up again -

Still CoH/CoV is the best group combat oriented MMO around , many MMO vets are playing it for a reason.

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Rattrap

Still CoH/CoV is the best group combat oriented MMO around , many MMO vets are playing it for a reason.

I think Rattrap is a little to harsh, but basically he is right on many aspects.

There are a lot of things CoV doesn't do, but what it does, it does magnificiantly and I just want more, and more, and more. 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• GraugGraug Member Posts: 25
    Yes I found it repetitive and boring at first but then I got a wild hair and wanted to hit 50 with a villain. Now i cant get enough I run a lvl 33 SS/invul brute and i like to see who i can out damage in every team im on. So far it has been everyone but MM's ( dang those multiple pets). and after bout lvl 25 you start to see Hero's and AV's alot more, even alot more than a lvl 45+ hero char. So that will take care of the repetitive nature a lil.

The Lone Brute

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

I started playing this game about 4 days ago and found that people in coh group alot more often than cov, anyone know why this is?   within those 4 days (+/-)I managed to bring up:

1. tanker-12

2. controller (pet class?) 8

3. stalker-8

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    I had fun when i played it too for a little while, then all the game got boring to me, i like playing to aquire equiment, and not just exp so i guess its not for me, plus i never liked athing about super hero buiss.  I never liked anything Marvel did

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Originally posted by lupisenparis
    I started playing this game about 4 days ago and found that people in coh group alot more often than cov, anyone know why this is?   within those 4 days (+/-)I managed to bring up: 1. tanker-12 2. controller (pet class?) 8 3. stalker-8

Basically COH classes are builded to be team players, while COV classes are very self sufficient.

Here is a tip -> If you are not invited into a group , simply form one. Go and fire those invites for all same level people in your area. And BENG! you have your group in moments ;)

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860
    CoV is hella repititive. this is coming from someone that has a 50 brute, 41 stalker, and tons of others. The mission content is all the same, mobs all the same. Btw, news flash go roll a hero. They are much more powerful. All my friends left CoV and went to CoH. well, the ones they didnt quit that is.

vajuras-

Are you freakin blind? can you not see what the title of thread is stating? here I'll post it for you and for those like you:

Played for the first time last night

This thread is not for you just because you have have played the game for so long that you are familiar with the quests does not equate to playing for the first time.

As for me, I can post on this thread since I am new, things I like about this game:

1. customizable movement unlike some games that are point n click

2. cool looking graphics when performing an action and not overly done

3. soloable content

4. great emotes

5. I truly like the UI

6. character advancment is worthwhile

--------------------------------------------------

There's only one thing I dislike solely because I like to solo (villians do that) and that is the fact that there is no way of crowd controll for big masses of mobs that are grouped together (4+) and that sucks imo.

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75
    I'll give you one reason.....   Villian..... and that isn't good enough well then i don't know. I don't have a problem teaming in COV but thats just me.image

There is no problem when the key word is 'like', I like to solo not cuz there is a problem.
  • CobaltDeathCobaltDeath Member Posts: 2
    I saw the game for the first time last week and was hooked.  I am playing the 14 day trial until I get the game I ordered (hero vs villain).  This game has even peaked the interest of my Wife and Daughter.  I have 2 heroes and 2 villians. 

Everytime I play my villain I am asked to join a team.  See everyone out there.
    Main players: Hero -TopazShocker  Villain - DeathSun

I'm sorry I had to break the bad news to you but the euphoria will wear off for you really fast once you get a few levels. It wont take long to notice the content repeating itself over and over. Next to you login ask yourself why does everyone have a fleet of alts? I know why everyone I know did. Cause this game is a long grind, no crafting, and the end game is virtually nonexistant.

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by vajuras

I'm sorry I had to break the bad news to you but the euphoria will wear off for you really fast once you get a few levels. It wont take long to notice the content repeating itself over and over. Next to you login ask yourself why does everyone have a fleet of alts? I know why everyone I know did. Cause this game is a long grind, no crafting, and the end game is virtually nonexistant.

Are you sure you aren't describing SWG? I just left that game and you described it almost perfectly. Well it does have crafting but it's useless since there usually only 12 people on the server concurrently with you.

I started playing CoV this week too and am constantly asked to group. It's to see a game with some actual MMO and not just the RPG I left from Galaxies. I'm sure it will get repetitive but I think they're adding in Hero vs. Villain PvP now right? Same end game as all the others then right?

Well they have hero vs villain pvp. To be honest I do miss the pvp a little sometimes. CoH did an excellent job with the travel powers (superjump & superspeed). Very fun running around at speed of light to chase down a hero and very satisfying to get the kill.

I think my problem was I came back to CoV for the wrong reasons. I'm a hardcore pvp player. For hardcore pvp this game isnt the best. but its wacky fun nevertheless when everyone shows up. my problem was I was on Liberty server. Recluse Victory is a dead zone for pvp for the most part. Sometimes at best we'd get some 8vs8 action. Now, siren's call is great fun if you dont mind pvping at level 30 cap. For me pvping at level 30 wasnt fun cause I rolled an EM/ELA brute (my main 50 toon). so all my good powers came at 32+

However you are correct the PvE is fun. People always group unlike some of the other MMOs out there. I'd say for grouping/teaming this MMO is second only to Guild Wars. Only because Guild Wars is very linear so everyone has to do the same mission as yourself

The End Game is lacking though in CoX.There really isnt much to do at 50 but pvp or go on the Hamidon runs. But if all you do is PvE then you'll have fun on that journey to 50 as long as you dont mind the repitition. I'd say for the long haul this MMO isnt strong. But if you enjoy having a bunch of alts you'll have a lot of fun cause the journey will never end.

• CobaltDeathCobaltDeath Member Posts: 2

Every game gets boring after you play it too much.  I still have gone back and played Diablo and Diablo 2.  I just ran through Diablo2 and the LoD expansion last week just for fun. 

I have a couple of friends who have the Hero/Villain games and now they are psyched to have someone to play with that they know.  In fact I'm on my way home to link up with a guy I work with in Villains.  I usually play solo games but I have found several good folks willing to stick with in both Heroes and Villains.  I'm still learning and there is lots to learn since there are so many characters and powers.  As for the end game being virtually nonexistant, Good.  When I finish a game it's Over and I stop playing. 

Oh well, Guess there is one less player on the server. image  Now go play something that you are excited about and leave the Noobs alone.  I don't want someone peeing on my parade image

Originally posted by CobaltDeath

Every game gets boring after you play it too much.  I still have gone back and played Diablo and Diablo 2.  I just ran through Diablo2 and the LoD expansion last week just for fun. 
    I have a couple of friends who have the Hero/Villain games and now they are psyched to have someone to play with that they know.  In fact I'm on my way home to link up with a guy I work with in Villains.  I usually play solo games but I have found several good folks willing to stick with in both Heroes and Villains.  I'm still learning and there is lots to learn since there are so many characters and powers.  As for the end game being virtually nonexistant, Good.  When I finish a game it's Over and I stop playing. 
    Oh well, Guess there is one less player on the server. image  Now go play something that you are excited about and leave the Noobs alone.  I don't want someone peeing on my parade image

I see where you're coming from but trust me a really good game won't get old that fast. I still play Warcraft RTS. Starcraft is like what 10 yrs old? It still probably has more players than CoX by far

Anyway just trying to give you guys a warning. Many, many vets are leaving this MMO. My whole entire supergroup left. So did many other supergroups bounce or totally all switch to heroes. Why do you think NCSoft had massive layoffs and reported poor sales for CoX titles? Don't take my word for it:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6797682&an=0&page=0#Post6797682

Every vet is talking bout leaving. The only reason many of us stuck around was for PvP. Once we all leave there will be no one left and guess what? Less players means less $$$ for NCSoft and less updates and content

Notice once you get past level 14 it gets more and more vacant. Once you hit level 40, you'll rarely see another villain. I've sat around lots of times in Grandville and did a /whoall. Only pulled like 8+ or so villains. I played a brute, the second most desired class on Villain side and I still found it difficult to find a team. And the ones I found wanted me to help farm the same content over and over

Everyone is rolling heroes now for both pve and pvp. Trust me, Villains got worked over. You cant even respec out of your patron powers.

And you sound really 'new to MMOs' talking bout once you finish a game you move on. You cant finish an MMO lol. And trust me, if these ppl are really your friends you not gonna find it easy to leave them. So a good end game is really what you want. Why do you think World Of Warcraft is kicking this dying MMO off the shelves?

When you get a chance try looking up how well this MMO did at E3 and compare to any other MMO like Fury, etc. CoX games wasnt even there. I know, I was at the NCSoft booth. They are not adding very much content to this MMO. They are now focusing on their new MMO titles. Vets know better than to be excited bout Issue 8. We know paper missions are nothing but pure grind. But at least heroes are getting some updates. That's the side you new players should roll

I feel sorry for all you guys. Just like you, I would tell a veteran who cares bout their gripes. I was new and having fun. Little did I realize the MMO was dying and I would catch hell trying to find a team at 30+. At least in the other MMOs (like WoW) you'll find lotsa teams towards the end. They dont die towards the end like CoX.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I still enjoy CoX quite a lot.  I have both heroes and villains, I play whichever I feel like at the time.  DAoC came and went, so did WoW but CoX has been a constant on my hard drive for 19 months now.

The game hasn't gotten boring for me yet and I do have high levels on both sides.  If I get tired of taking out Council mobs, then I simply do missions with different mobs.  If I have an afternoon to play I'll do a strike/task force for a change of pace (and a badge).

The fact I can change the difficulty level of the missions is a great way to tweak the mission to my specific character's playstyle.  My 43 MM easily solos on Vicious, so I'm thinking of going higher still.  image

Never had trouble grouping as a hero or villain, not sure what servers some play on but on Infinity there are still plenty of villains LFG post 40.  Not being able to respec out of your patron powers was kind of the point.  As a new player they won't care about this, but it was clearly stated by the arbiter that once you pick that's your choice.  Considering you can get in-depth details about what the 4 patron powers are, plus there are some videos of them in action, I can't really see how someone can bork up the choice.

I also saw that someone mention NC Soft not adding much to CoX and I don't believe that is correct.  They stated before in their press release that Issue 8 is coming out soon, Issue 9 is already in the works and I10 and I11 are already planned out.  So far, every Issue has added noticeable and significant changes to the game.  The Hollows, Shadow Shard, Peregrine Island, Striga Isle, Croatoa all were new zones added with a content patch.  Don't be concerned with Cryptic Studios working on the Marvel Online game because that is years away from release.

Great game, good eye candy, meaningful patches (pay attention Blizzard) all make for a very enjoyable game.  Plus I'm real fond of my sg bases, you can have your person house I'll keep my lair with its infirmary, studio and twin chain guns pointing at the door. image

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by lupisenparis
    I started playing this game about 4 days ago and found that people in coh group alot more often than cov, anyone know why this is?   within those 4 days (+/-)I managed to bring up: 1. tanker-12 2. controller (pet class?) 8 3. stalker-8
    Masterminds don't need to team, ever.   well, maybe once or twice against an elite boss that's +3 levels and does damage your troops aren't resistant to (FIRE).  so lots of folks play MMs.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• JWD2006JWD2006 Member Posts: 10

I have been playing COX for over 18 months now and have gone through both games many times but I still enjoy levelling new characters and never find it repetitive. Compared to other MMO’s I find COX much less of a grind as the missions are much more fun then doing the same quests over and over (kill X of X or kill X of X till they drop X of X *yawn* image). Also the game is made for teaming and soloing, you are never forced to team if you want to level and if you want a team it is usually easy. I think it is a great MMO for someone new to them (like I was when I started playing) as it is a lot simpler with no crafting or items to worry about, some people may see that as a flaw but it can be a positive aspect. Once you play the game for long enough you can wish that it has dungeons, items, and crafting so that it gives you something to do with your 50 but it has never been a big enough problem to stop me from enjoying the game. The final thing I will mention is the community which is fantastic one of the best in any MMO, it is a big part of why I have been playing for so long.

I hope you enjoy COX as much as I have. image

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    there's lots of things about COx that irk me.  however, there's a lot less things about COx that irk me TODAY, than say 12 or 18 months ago.

there's a lot of things about games like WoW that irk me.  there's been one thing that's gotten better and a number of things added to the list of things that irk me about it.

a year or 18 months ago, i'd have said wow was the better game.  wow just gives you more of the same tripe.  city of, however, has added quite a number of new things and fixed some of rather irksome items.

in wow, you grind in one instance for a month or three, then move onto the next instance and grind in it for a month or three.  this is so that you can be exactly like all the other people of your class...  so, wait three months and VOILA, here's a new instance for everyone to grind for 1-3 months and be just like everyone else...

in cox, you grind in whatever, there's always choices and there's been new and different things added, like the fires in um, kings row?  the mayhem (and soon safeguard) missions.  large bases, &  bases affordable by one - four hero/villain teams.  there's always giant monsters to hunt.  in addition to the bases, and base equipment, supposedly in issue 9, they're adding craftable items.  not sure what those will be, i'm guessing limited super powers.  who knows.  but thing is with city of, you feel like they HAVE been listening, a whole lot moreso than in most games.  at least since matt/positron took over from states.

however, both city of and world of have gotten rid of notsogood spokespeople and taken them out of the spotlight (the statesman dude and kaplan).

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?