Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Editorial: The Burning Crusade

Comments

• AntiocheAntioche Member UncommonPosts: 132
    "Blizzard always does put out a good product that runs very smoothly."

Uhh I want to smoke the reefer you've been toking please. If I remember correctly the launch of WoW wasn't smooth at all, but very unstable despite stress tests, followed by months of server queueing. There's lots of harsh comments I could make, but let's just both be honest with ourselves and agree that the aforementioned sentence is complete BS.

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche

• Cry0Cry0 Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Aison2

If these estimates are close to what the exp will really be im interested to see how many people get bored of grinding by yourself for hours and not getting levels like in the 1-60 grind.  At the same time though i would assume the grind would not really be as hard as it seems because if your currently a level 60 in full epics you could grind a lot easier than you did previously in greens/blues.

Think about it
    they run thousand times the same instance for some stupid imba equipment
    thats a grind of the finest kind
    i don't think they would even consider the way to 70 as a grind

then again im really wondering if the casual players who got no t2 nor t1
    will get  a as  nearly good chance to get to lvl 70 as the prior mentioned epic equiped players/freaks

You know what.. now that i think about it leveling to 70 would almost be a reward.  Think about it.  You login and you dont have to wait for 39 other people to be ready.  You can just log in.. and accomplish something by yourself.  WAlk off to the middle of nowhere and kill things untill you get a level.  When your bored you can stop you dont have to wait for 39 other people to be done.

Lol you could even mix it up and exp in different places.. instead of having to raid the same thing every week.  just having that freedom would be a reason to come back.. almost.

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Hagrin
    Fact of the matter is that most players that quit the game is because they could not get ahead... AQ was a frustration for many T2 geared players, Naxx is even more of a frustration... The game is easy as in solo play but end game is not as easy, at least now it isnt...

All those who quit and sold accounts will and can say they went to all the instances etc, but most of them lie, they cant even kill huhuran and they get fed up with it... The pvp in wow is lame, but overall its the best western MMORPG out there... All the other MMO's are grind or lame, or just plain repetitive, like all the korean engine ones...

WoW at the moement is as good as it gets, its a perfect combination of all the elements of a MMORPG, it lacks a bit in some departments but not alot, thats why it has the bigest player base.

TBC will bring a new way of viewing the game, the mechanics are sliglty diferent... now theres no more %tages, its all numbers for all stats. easy for someone to calculate now, les mind bogling...

Those who complain about 10 year olds its as simple as not playing with them... If youre not a tolerant person what the hell are you doing playing an MMORPG then? Buy Oblivion and ave fun...

Ive played most MMORPG's and i too wanted to quit wow, but at the end of all its still the best one, granted i didnt start playing mmo's with wow, i started with ultima, then passed to FFX11 then EQ as well as EQ2, then i met WOW... After that i tried all the korean engine copyers (what a piece of crap) they have no genuine feeling, they all play the same, have same UI, and almost look the same, thats all crap...

The only game that kinda comes close is EVE, which i still play but cmon, training ofline? you really start playing like in 3 months...

You can all criticize WoW, but the best is the best, and thats irrefutable...

Just remember, Warcraft is a franchise... And the story is as good as LOTR...

So please, go with your "i quit wow" storys somewhere else... We all know you will be coming back, unless youre and asian grinder, in that case dont play in the western market, thank you...

Hagrin

WoW's story is as good as LOTR?

I feel sorry for you.  But I guess it's hard for the man voted Author of the Century to compete with space pallies. 

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    And 6.5 million says other wise, Mr. Fuller.  Theres a reason why in almost anything you do in life and in games one only needs to look at the age old motto K.I.S.S.  "Keep it simple stupid"  and why it allowed Blizzard to captivate and motivate millions of people to play MMO's.  Unlike your precious DAoC.

Did you ever think that WoW was so successful because those without uber systems could actually play it?  WoW plays to the lowest common denominator -- in all cases.  Be it your system, their design, or their story.

I don't think anyone was arguing with success -- merely the substance of the game.  Which is like saying The Day After Tomorrow made a lot of money, but it wasn't a very good movie.

• ReapersSpawNReapersSpawN Member Posts: 13
    I have to agree with the article, i have a beta account and have played around with some of the new content. I was really enthralled for all of about 2 hours then realised "hey if i buy this i would be paying for not much more than a patch" I know i know all expansions are a patch so to speak but really everything that is in TBC is already in the game in some shape or form already bar getting to level 70.

To who ever it was that said about the new talents and what not, i ask you this sir: do you remember the days of 5k hunter aimed shots without epic gear? I do! they lasted for all of about 2 weeks then hunters got nurfed to all hell and became almost useless. The same can be said for hunters in the game at present but that a whole other can of angry worms. Basically i would put money on there being HUGE changes to all class talents not long after the patch comes out and so will begin the tit for tat class overpowered to usless twat cycle!

I said the same things plus alot more to my guild today (got flamed as i expected) but i suppose at the end of the day you have to ask yourself are you happy paying for 1-2 months max of fun!? Because after that all your paying for is a irc chat program.

Anyways thats my thoughts,

Aussie or NZ gamer or just play in the +8 to +10 timezone?! Come check out www.Oceanian.com.au!
  • docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Originally posted by ReapersSpawN
    I have to agree with the article, i have a beta account and have played around with some of the new content. I was really enthralled for all of about 2 hours then realised "hey if i buy this i would be paying for not much more than a patch" I know i know all expansions are a patch so to speak but really everything that is in TBC is already in the game in some shape or form already bar getting to level 70.

To who ever it was that said about the new talents and what not, i ask you this sir: do you remember the days of 5k hunter aimed shots without epic gear? I do! they lasted for all of about 2 weeks then hunters got nurfed to all hell and became almost useless. The same can be said for hunters in the game at present but that a whole other can of angry worms. Basically i would put money on there being HUGE changes to all class talents not long after the patch comes out and so will begin the tit for tat class overpowered to usless twat cycle!

I said the same things plus alot more to my guild today (got flamed as i expected) but i suppose at the end of the day you have to ask yourself are you happy paying for 1-2 months max of fun!? Because after that all your paying for is a irc chat program.

Anyways thats my thoughts,

well, that's not a secret, that many mmos are glorified chatrooms. but they are more fun than a simple irc :D

the only thing i am curious about, since you were a beta tester (and also to the editorial writer) - the flying mounts? are they worth it? i think what got me interested in L2 were mainly flying mounts, although I realized that I would probably never get one.....

imageimage

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725

they might as well change the name of this site to whyihatewowandswg.com

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Ranak1Ranak1 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Antioche
    "Blizzard always does put out a good product that runs very smoothly."

Uhh I want to smoke the reefer you've been toking please. If I remember correctly the launch of WoW wasn't smooth at all, but very unstable despite stress tests, followed by months of server queueing. There's lots of harsh comments I could make, but let's just both be honest with ourselves and agree that the aforementioned sentence is complete BS.

You forget that Blizzard has also brought out other games than WoW and that the instability at launch didn't last very long. Every other Blizzard product (SC, Diablo I/II, WC I-III, plus expansions) has been a top quality product and so is WoW, despite its flaws. I don't get people whining about unstable servers either... my main character was on one of the most unstable servers there was, Earthen Ring (or at least that's what people said) and I almost never noticed any of it.

• acidleakacidleak Member Posts: 33
    eh, the instability lasted untill they seperated auction houses, you
    couldnt walk into IF or org w/o freezing bc 50000 ppl were there. 

Well, I couldn't play for the first week or so, but after that I didn't have any problems at all...

• EndemondiaEndemondia Member Posts: 231
    Not trying to sound too rude but WoW is the culinary equivilant of macdonalds and eating more macdonalds is not good for you. However if you like gourging on junk food (and lets face it most kids do!) then buy the extension pack. I will save my money for Dungeon Runners...it looks the same as WoW in the graphics dept, it is free to play and it is an evolutionary step out of the dark ages  by doing what computers were made for....random instanced dungeons...mmo's so far are just very big complex donkey kongs...I want my own stories and random is the way to it!
  • WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60
    Warcraft was more of the same when it came out.

It was level grinding, Dwarves, Elves, Humans, etc. Some PvP Thrown in
    A nice UI, Quests for XP, etc.  Done in a hundred different games
    before, nothing new, just a well thought out, relatively bug free game
    that was very enjoyable.

They didn't do anything new, they just took from all the MMO's before it and then raised the bar on quality.

They polished it into one of the most finished MMO's ever.

For them to release an expansion that's just more of the same would be
    right on track with what the game is.   More of the same,
    just a higher quality level than anything before it.

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

I played WoW for 6 months from the second day of the EU launch. Playing 2-3 hours per night after work I hit the level cap in just 3.5 months.

How did I play? 95% solo or small grouped, often guild based, ONLY killing mobs to complete quests, NEVER grinding on the same mobs except to get cash, and they were too low level to give XP. I would hunt in one place for a while then move on, because I liked to explore. I played to have fun, not reach the cap and raid, I took my time and often spent hours not gaining XP at all; tradeskilling, helping low level guildies....

Yet I still hit the level cap in less than 4 months. WoW is like an entry level mmorpg, designed for beginners to cut their teeth on, easy, simple, fun, but not very challenging once you've mastered it. Almost every quest is a carbon copy of the first few you did, kill X mobs, collect X items.

At 59 I joined a newly formed guild, designed to make raiding more accessible, but found that all too often too few level 60s were logged in at once to start an instance, so setting one up involved a lot of waiting around. Quests no longer gave XP, very little cash, and mostly no item worth gaining at the end. I had few choices beyond raiding; grind for rep, grind for cash to buy my epic mount, complete useless, uninteresting quests or just sit around. Raidng was a grind too. Run the same instance until I got lucky with the drop I needed then move on.

So I played alts until my second 3 month sub expired. Before I left I posted often about my frustration with the end game, and the need to raid. I got flamed often. Once my sub had run out I would check the official website now and then to see what new content was being added for the non raiding type. Nothing they've added in the last year, bar some minor gear additions has persuaded me to return. With TBC I am still undecided.

I've played EQ2 since early Jan. It has more depth than WoW, but not much more. And the devs are hell-bent on dumbing it down to make it easier in a vain attempt to attract some of the WoW type players, but failing to do so. I'd hoped for better with DnL, but Farlan failed to deliver, now my hopes rest with Vanguard and the next batch of large games, LOTR, Conan and so on.

EQ2 and WoW took mmorpgs forward in terms of content, compared to the bad old days of the grind, I hope the next batch take the genre even further forward.

• NursieNursie Member Posts: 1

Warcraft was more of the same when it came out.

It was level grinding, Dwarves, Elves, Humans, etc. Some PvP Thrown in A nice UI, Quests for XP, etc.  Done in a hundred different games before, nothing new, just a well thought out, relatively bug free game that was very enjoyable.

They didn't do anything new, they just took from all the MMO's before it and then raised the bar on quality.

They polished it into one of the most finished MMO's ever.

For them to release an expansion that's just more of the same would be right on track with what the game is.   More of the same, just a higher quality level than anything before it.

Really hope you were joking about the nice UI part, it is by far the worst part of WoW and was probably designed by chimps tbh.  Thank god blizzard allowed us to customize the UI with addons from some very talented Amateurs.

What's wrong with the UI? It suits my needs just fine. I haven't ever used any add-on except some RP-addons.

• akita47akita47 Member Posts: 7
    Stuff WoW, Bring on Warhammer: Age of Reckoning!!

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

MMORPG Expansion to Only Add Content, Not Add Dramatically New Gameplay

Irvine, CA (Reuters) -- In a surprise move by Vivendi Universal studio Blizzard Entertainment, the upcoming expansion to their hit MMORPG World of Warcraft will only add additional content, not offer any huge changes to the core gameplay experience. Delusional maniacs and MMORPG pundits alike were shocked by this revelation, and many have sworn bloody revenge.

"So what if every other MMORPG expansion is like this?" said one commentator on an internet forum nobody cares about. "They said they would have spaceships at launch, and the fact that the Burning Crusade will not feature them is a crime against humanity. Somebody call the Hague." When asked about the fact that the Dranei hometown is a spaceship, the commentator declined to comment. The Hague had not responded to repeated request for an interview by the time of this printing.

A sticking point for many is that the expansion will primarily feature content which forces the user to perform the same tasks repeatedly in order to advance. This is a major departure from the industry standard of forcing the user to perform the same tasks repeatedly in order to advance while simultaneously kicking them in the balls.

"I quit SWG for this?" asked another internet asshole. "What's the point of playing a game where the bugs aren't crippling and agonizing? I like playing MMORPGs that give me something to constantly whine about. Forget additional content and game polish! What this game needs is an expansion which dramatically changes things!" he continued, before writing another forum post whining about the implementation of the NGE and the lack of polish and content in early SWG.

The largest complaint that many have is that the game forces its users into a vicious cycle of repetition at the end of the game's content, whereby they are compelled to repeat the same instanced dungeons many times to advance in power, all the while under threat of a slow and painful death if they quit.

"I tried quitting! I really did! The morning after I cancelled my subscription, I woke up to find the severed head of my epic mount on the pillow next to mine. In its mouth was a business card. Written on it was the words, 'The Molten Core beckons.'" Many users have reported similar stories, and those few users who chose to defy such warnings have met grisly fates.

"I cancelled my subscription after playing World of Warcraft since launch," says one such user. "When I emerged from my home, I saw something strange that I didn't recognize. As punishment for my straying from the flock, Blizzard had hung an infernal orb of celestial fire in the sky. From it poured down both intense heat and horrible light. I was nearly blinded by its terrible radiance. My only respite was that the dreaded orb retreats for several hours each day. I call this time, 'not light time.'"

Blizzard Entertainment COO Paul Satan

When questioned about such strongarm tactics, Blizzard COO Paul Satan proceeded to roll around in a huge pile of money, screaming, "Rich people obey no moral compass but their own! I am the prince of darkness! All will bow before me or perish in flames!" Several dozen online petitions were formed in response to these inflammatory comments. At the time of this printing, nobody cared about any of them.

• PkylanPkylan Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by akita47
    Stuff WoW, Bring on Warhammer: Age of Reckoning!!

it's just a matter of time really...
  • docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Originally posted by Kurush
    MMORPG Expansion to Only Add Content, Not Add Dramatically New Gameplay

Irvine, CA (Reuters) -- In a surprise move by Vivendi Universal studio Blizzard Entertainment, the upcoming expansion to their hit MMORPG World of Warcraft will only add additional content, not offer any huge changes to the core gameplay experience. Delusional maniacs and MMORPG pundits alike were shocked by this revelation, and many have sworn bloody revenge.

"So what if every other MMORPG expansion is like this?" said one commentator on an internet forum nobody cares about. "They said they would have spaceships at launch, and the fact that the Burning Crusade will not feature them is a crime against humanity. Somebody call the Hague." When asked about the fact that the Dranei hometown is a spaceship, the commentator declined to comment. The Hague had not responded to repeated request for an interview by the time of this printing.

A sticking point for many is that the expansion will primarily feature content which forces the user to perform the same tasks repeatedly in order to advance. This is a major departure from the industry standard of forcing the user to perform the same tasks repeatedly in order to advance while simultaneously kicking them in the balls.

"I quit SWG for this?" asked another internet asshole. "What's the point of playing a game where the bugs aren't crippling and agonizing? I like playing MMORPGs that give me something to constantly whine about. Forget additional content and game polish! What this game needs is an expansion which dramatically changes things!" he continued, before writing another forum post whining about the implementation of the NGE and the lack of polish and content in early SWG.

The largest complaint that many have is that the game forces its users into a vicious cycle of repetition at the end of the game's content, whereby they are compelled to repeat the same instanced dungeons many times to advance in power, all the while under threat of a slow and painful death if they quit.

"I tried quitting! I really did! The morning after I cancelled my subscription, I woke up to find the severed head of my epic mount on the pillow next to mine. In its mouth was a business card. Written on it was the words, 'The Molten Core beckons.'" Many users have reported similar stories, and those few users who chose to defy such warnings have met grisly fates.

"I cancelled my subscription after playing World of Warcraft since launch," says one such user. "When I emerged from my home, I saw something strange that I didn't recognize. As punishment for my straying from the flock, Blizzard had hung an infernal orb of celestial fire in the sky. From it poured down both intense heat and horrible light. I was nearly blinded by its terrible radiance. My only respite was that the dreaded orb retreats for several hours each day. I call this time, 'not light time.'"

Blizzard Entertainment COO Paul Satan

When questioned about such strongarm tactics, Blizzard COO Paul Satan proceeded to roll around in a huge pile of money, screaming, "Rich people obey no moral compass but their own! I am the prince of darkness! All will bow before me or perish in flames!" Several dozen online petitions were formed in response to these inflammatory comments. At the time of this printing, nobody cared about any of them.

rofl! good one!  image took me two paragraphs to realize it wasn't for real.
    or...?

imageimage

• DarkGardianDarkGardian Member Posts: 3
    Well lets be honest folks.  We all loved the game, and probably to a point still do.  The problem is and has always been how Bliz treats the endgame.  I would dare say that the majority of us to read into these postings have a desire and appreciation of leveling, questing and discovery in the game.  Hence the disappointment in endgame content.

I had been with WoW since the beta, but I've recently retired the game, with no real prospects to return to it.  Yes we have given some new content.  Yes we have seen some tweaking.  Yes it probably is enough to shake things up.  But having the history with the game that I do, none of these are anything new nore compeling to long time players.

I have no doubt that the expansion will level the current playing field and break apart the guilds which will create a drive to continue.  -  I'm very sure that Blizzard has released the expansion with this intent.  Everything will be different.  All the guilds will change and few will survive, BUT in the end I doubt very much we will see anything new in time to retain the audience that held out until the expansion.  Once everyone rockets to 70, there won't be much else to do.  People will leave again.  Bliz may boast a huge member audience, but how many of those stay?

Personnally I thing the intent to the expansion is simply to create enough upset in the game that people in the game a year or less can be retained.  Anyone in game longer than that will most likely become bored with the situation repeating itself.

It's very disappointing to the players that nothing new seems to be coming out.  You can create new content without distroying the game as it is.

It is what it is. 

• parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260
    laziest expansion ever, no new classes, just adding the exclusives to other side, no new races, same again just recolouring them, what is blizzard doing with the 1,260 million $ sub money a year? running the building boiler on $1000 notes couldn't even account for it.

• DarkGardianDarkGardian Member Posts: 3
    Now that we've all left WoW, what is there to play?

Let's see if we can turn this into a constructive conversation.

• HanousHanous Member Posts: 1
    blizzard refuses to respond to my casino ideas
    it would give people something to do with their cash and time

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    i think  ingame casinos would be  illegal couse of the kidsimage
    i mean it's basically real cash you are investing -at least you could get real cash for gold at ebay xD

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• sapho889sapho889 Member Posts: 3

Everbody who want's to play WoW seriously will have to buy BC - and he/she will or he/she will quit very soon. Doesn't matter how many new features are in there, WoW is item-grinding-based player competition. If you don't want to loose it you will have to have BC.

Of course, some will return and enjoy new content. But I think it won't be very much because you will always know you pay for something you will quit after a short time again because the reason you left WoW didn't change at all.

Even if there is nothing really exciting available yet, there are some nice looking WoW clones announces for next spring. Maybe they are not as perfectly shaped as WoW is. But they will offer at least a new world and that is IMHO worth to wait a few weeks, save the bucks and hope to get some new games to have at least a few months fun with (and maybe more).

Regards, Sap