Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion on the game

XonogothXonogoth Member Posts: 6
Hello all
I just registered on this site, but still cant post reviews and ratings for the game, bah, nm, I will do it here, shortly :)

I played World of Warcraft for 1.5 years and now have been in EVE for 2 months.

Why do I play MMOs? because I love developping a character, making it stronger, having better stats, better skills and better items.
In WoW until level 60 all is wonderfull: the game is beautiful, full of quests and action.
At each level you get, you can train better skills. You get new talents too. At the same time you get better items and do quests.
But as soon as you reach level 60 you say bye bye to skills, talents and quests, cause you have them all. For these three parts you character is complete. You cant go further. Simple as that.
The ONLY thing that you can do to personalize your character is get him better items...
and here starts the item farming: roaming instances and raids to get good drops. Or farm reputation to get items...
items items items, always items. Nothing more. At level 60 you farm items.

WoW was my 1st MMO. And I accepted it. I didnt enjoy it really anymore for almost a year, and as I get friends in it I had difficulties to stop.

Then I discovered EVE. Thats a very refreshing game!
No level cap. In fact, no levels at all. No items farming (at least not like in WoW).
So much skills and development possibilities that you cant even train all the skills available in one life time.
Really, a totally different concept. More mature. More realistic.
Sure you still need to invest HUGE amounts of time in it in order to become "good", sure you still need to join a guild/corporation in order to progress further. But at least you dont crash your face in a wall like I did when I reached level 60 in WoW.

Thats my 2 cents.
Give it a try! EVE is a really great game.
Best regards
Yann Xonogoth

Comments

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Welcome to EVE :)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

I enjoyed reading your review. Get it posted when you can ;)

Welcome to EVE,
    fly safe.

//insert sig here
  • JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419
    Yes, in Eve there is no end-game. However, you still have some more lessons to learn. Playing Eve is not all about gaining money, skills and items. There is a huge political, player v players landscape out there inc. combat, markets, industry, empires to enjoy that WoW simply doesn't have.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

That's a nice summarized view of character progression and advancement.  :)

Keep in mind that in EVE, it *is* about your assets.  Farming takes place but the benefit is EVERYTHING is a consumable item which tends to match skill vs risk vs reward.  Also note that Political gains are more of an asset then ISK and modules combined. 

• TiberiianTiberiian Member Posts: 6

The fact that you get exactly what you need every time something "drops" in EVE, due to everything being consumable, makes this game, on this point alone, far superior to WoW.

I also played WoW for over 1 and 1/2 years. Level 60 is a nightmare. Grind - no drop of what you want. Grind again - same result. Grind  again and again and again and eventually it will either drop or you just give up. This is why i quit. WoW takes massive chunks of time out of your life for absolutley no reward or even sense of acheivement. They are slowly beginning to address these issues, but, ultimately, EVE already has this issue sorted which means WoW can never recover.

There are are so many things that make EVE a fantastic game to play rather than just bashing WoW of course.  Just the general feel of the game, the action followed by so much thought and deliberation.  The choices, corp participation,  PvP, mining, etc. Just being able to choose your own path to getting that ship decked out with all the grear you want. Skills that will remain endless due to updates so that nobody will have the "perfect" character.

It's a game where you choose how you get where you want to go. If you want to take a mission on that will get you killed 40 times in a row.....go ahead. If you want to grind away at low level pirates....go ahead. Want to mine velspar...go ahead. Want to try bringing down a battleship in your frigate...go ahead. Nothing to stop you except being blown awayimage.

*Sighs with glee*

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I would be playing EVE right now if not for two problems I have with the game:

1. I spend 90% of my time traveling around, a.k.a. watch TV while I 'play' the game.
    2. Combat, for the most part, is very boring. The actual strategy behind combat is very deep but all that occurs when you're outfitting your ship. In actual combat, I find myself just activating modules and then waiting until the other ship blows up. Coupled with the boring and repetitive agent missions, I almost fall asleep during combat.

• TiberiianTiberiian Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Ranma13
    I would be playing EVE right now if not for two problems I have with the game:1. I spend 90% of my time traveling around, a.k.a. watch TV while I 'play' the game.
    2. Combat, for the most part, is very boring. The actual strategy behind combat is very deep but all that occurs when you're outfitting your ship. In actual combat, I find myself just activating modules and then waiting until the other ship blows up. Coupled with the boring and repetitive agent missions, I almost fall asleep during combat.

I can see why this is annoying for you. However I find that it gives me time to actually do things instead of spending five hours of my time at my PC for no result, other than, to have to spend another 5 hours at my PC. The fact that you can leave your PC for a while is something I welcome as spending hours without end "stuck" to it frustrates me.

Regards the missions....they will get repetitive. Thats why there is a whole community out there willing to get PvPed for your pleasureimage. Although they may not always obligeimage
  • SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Ranma13
    1. I spend 90% of my time traveling around, a.k.a. watch TV while I 'play' the game.

1. Don't travel so much. If you go to systems reguarly then set a BM so you jump right on top of the gate. I set a thing of bookmarks the other day that shaved 30min off my traveling time to our 0.0 which is 24 jumps away from our home. But that's really the only traveling I do.

2. You've never been in PVP. If you don't activate or deactivate your mods at the right time, then you die.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

Xonogoth

Ya I agree on your points consider you got wow as first mmorpg.

I been playing mmorpgs a loong time and EvE Online got it all.

Really, different concept. More mature. More realistic No cartoonish look
    and good I love it as a old dude with family no grinding and waiting for
    people who have signed up for raids and so.

EvE Online I been playing this game from Beta and well I love it ::::08::

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    In all honesty, I have found that if you try to play EVE in the same manner as the old sword and sorcerer games, you will get burned out fast.  EVE is a marathon, not a sprint.  Take your time to savor the intricacies of the game.

As a side note, if you are a combat type, don't stay in Empire and run missions all day.  Get out in 0.0 and kill some rats out there.  Push the envelope.  When I was new, I never would have thought a frigate could kill a battleship, but low and behold, they can.  You don't need to be in a corp to go to 0.0, anyone can go there.  Insure your ship, and head out and learn by trying.  Sure, you will lose your ship.  Thankfully, nothing in EVE is nodrop, and if you need the latest, greatest gear, you can earn some cash and buy it.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Yes, EVE and WoW are night and day...

I prefer afternoon:)

• XonogothXonogoth Member Posts: 6
    Thank you all for your comments image

I know that we really cant compare the two games, but one thing that can be compared is your characters possibilies in the long run.

And for that, sadly, I have to say that WoW is poor, very poor: if you dont like grinding and farming money/items in raid/instances, you're totally stucked and you'd better play something else.
    What a shame!

WoW is almost perfect before level 60. Yeah, never seen such a great game.
    Sadly, at level 60 (or at any level cap they will put in the future... level 70 will be same with the expansion)
    you're done with all the skills/talents/level thingies. You dont get better. Your character stops its evolution. Forever.
    And this is really frustrating.

WoW is a "huge game" with "a lot of exploration". Yeah, but same thing: until you get to level 60.
    At level 60 you will spend the rest of you life between the Auction House and you mail box in your capital city... and sometimes in raids or battle ground. Trust me: at level cap you explore NOTHING.

I've invested too much time in WoW, if only someone could have said all this to me before I started, I would have been an EVE player for almost 2 years now image

My humble conclusion:
    if you plan to play your WoW character up to level 60 (or 70 in the expansion) and then stop, heh... wow is for you.
    Same thing if you love raiding with 39 other idiots, playing the same dungeon for the 355th time, killing the same monsters and hoping for the violet epic sword to drop... then again, wow is for you.

EVE's skills system:
    imho the BEST progression system I've ever seen.

• MakaiomaceMakaiomace Member Posts: 2

At times it can seem like your watching E/E Instead of playing it, that will pass once your skills come up.. Speaking of watching it, Take off the tactical view and use Ctrl+F9 move the view around zoom in or out and take screenies with Alt+PrintScreen, if you want to see where it went look in C:Program FilesCCPImagesscreenshot's..

I have been playing for about 3 months now, 2 of those in a corp and it really does accelerate your skills and knowlegebase. Thier are many benefits, Corp members can often build ships instead of paying inflated prices, Areas are better protected with known corp members around, often having a 'stomping ground' in low security areas instead... Modules are often available that you cannot buy on the market... The list is endless...

E/E is what YOU make it..  and that's the image part...

• -Thraxor--Thraxor- Member UncommonPosts: 139

Originally posted by Xonogoth
    Thank you all for your comments image

I know that we really cant compare the two games, but one thing that can be compared is your characters possibilies in the long run.

And for that, sadly, I have to say that WoW is poor, very poor: if you dont like grinding and farming money/items in raid/instances, you're totally stucked and you'd better play something else.
    What a shame!

WoW is almost perfect before level 60. Yeah, never seen such a great game.
    Sadly, at level 60 (or at any level cap they will put in the future... level 70 will be same with the expansion)
    you're done with all the skills/talents/level thingies. You dont get better. Your character stops its evolution. Forever.
    And this is really frustrating.

WoW is a "huge game" with "a lot of exploration". Yeah, but same thing: until you get to level 60.
    At level 60 you will spend the rest of you life between the Auction House and you mail box in your capital city... and sometimes in raids or battle ground. Trust me: at level cap you explore NOTHING.

I've invested too much time in WoW, if only someone could have said all this to me before I started, I would have been an EVE player for almost 2 years now image

My humble conclusion:
    if you plan to play your WoW character up to level 60 (or 70 in the expansion) and then stop, heh... wow is for you.
    Same thing if you love raiding with 39 other idiots, playing the same dungeon for the 355th time, killing the same monsters and hoping for the violet epic sword to drop... then again, wow is for you.

EVE's skills system:
    imho the BEST progression system I've ever seen.

Welcome to EVE.

Hope you still like the skills system when your 'want list' has your training time out to 6+ months image

JK, you'll be having even more fun after you get a few more skills and have some new ships to try out.

Great posts BTW, hope you get review status soon, good luck to you.