Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aw poor Sony.

Dropped there profit estimates by 38%!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20478

The consumer is on to you Sony.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    If PSP had been a cell phone as well as a game system it would have done better. People like gadgets, but only if they can make phone calls on them. image
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

I have a PSP for light Travel (got it at launch, so don't be hate'in), since it games, plays movies, plays music & can surf the Web. It's not a bad Machine for what it can do.

The only thing that will save the PSP is to replace the UMD drive with a HD and start a direct content DL system, add a Wi-Fi / BB PC2 Card Slot, a High-Rez Camera, as well as adding a built in flip-down keyboard for a lid. In other words, it needs to be a Light PC / IM / gaming / phone / camera replacement. If they did that, the PSP price may go up, but so would it's insertion into daily use. Right now, there's really no reason to have your PSP on you all the time, they need to make a must-have all-the-time lidestyle must-have. IMO, that's where they failed.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by MX13

I have a PSP for light Travel (got it at launch, so don't be hate'in), since it games, plays movies, plays music & can surf the Web. It's not a bad Machine for what it can do.
    The only thing that will save the PSP is to replace the UMD drive with a HD and start a direct content DL system, add a Wi-Fi / BB PC2 Card Slot, a High-Rez Camera, as well as adding a built in flip-down keyboard for a lid. In other words, it needs to be a Light PC / IM / gaming / phone / camera replacement. If they did that, the PSP price may go up, but so would it's insertion into daily use. Right now, there's really no reason to have your PSP on you all the time, they need to make a must-have all-the-time lidestyle must-have. IMO, that's where they failed.

right! a phone image
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
     looks like more Jobs at SOE are going to India!   38% drop image!   Can I have an orange squishy with my expansion?

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by JestorRodo
     looks like more Jobs at SOE are going to India!   38% drop image!   Can I have an orange squishy with my expansion?

$med/torres' idea of customer service is:

get the hell out of my store.. and thank you come again! 

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by JestorRodo

I think they've already insourced a bunch of illegal aliens to be the SWG dev team as it is.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

It gets better:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160116.html

has a bit more overall detail.

With the 38 percent drop in the OP article..

"Sony also lowered its operating profit forecast just over 62 percent to 50 billion yen ($423 million) for the year. Left unchanged for the fiscal year is sales predications, which remain at 8.23 trillion yen ($69 billion)"

"For the quarter ending September, 30, 2006, profits at the company were off a dramatic 93 percent due to two big factors. Foremost was the recall of 9.6 million faulty lithium-ion laptop batteries, which will cost the company approximately 51 billion yen ($429 million). It also called out higher-than-expected PS3 hardware manufacturing costs and cooling PSP and PS2 sales as major contributors. "

I like the close...

"Sony added that although the PS3 would be sold at a loss during the initial launch phase, it is "looking forward to the successful worldwide deployment and expansion of the platform" in the long term."

They can be glad there are not more people like me in the world.. because there would never be a long term plus to the PS3... its not something that interest me in the slightest.

The only thing I really have to say SWG related...

is when a few of these arsetard "red names" from the forums get their little pink holiday slip... I wish I could be at the sony doors to give them a big send off to trying to convince Burger King... that customers don't really want it "their way" they want it some other way... that they won't pay for...

Then all the "blow you out the airlock" jokes won't be so funny... cuz he'll be blowing something else to pay the bills.  Among others...

• tete01tete01 Member Posts: 12
    How is these related with SWG?

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
     Muahahaha Smed is banking on the PS3 and PSP to return SOE to 1# .. It appears a bleak prospect from  the way this story reads. 

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by tete01
    A loss of 100K+ net subs to SWG is part of the reason Sony's profits are down, isn't it?

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

The financial health of SOEs parent company has a direct effect on SWG.
  • KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    I'm on a business trip in Tokyo right now ... went to see the Akihabara shopping district yesterday, block after block of electronics mega-stores and alleys full of little electronics vendors.  Sony still has a buck or two in this town.

And they're advertising blu-ray just a little.

http://216.39.144.110/imagelib/tokyo/yamagiwa2.jpg

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Because the "S" in "SOE" stands for Sony.

Even though we all say it stands for "suck".

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Wow, the PSP is still around? I thought it died when UMD did. Oh wait, it did.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• lassiterlassiter Member Posts: 94

just remember this is the same company that came out with betamax, and blew its chance to be the standard instead of vhs by not licencing to 3rd parties.

Hmmm seems to be a trend where sony is concerned.

Originally posted by KzinKiller
    I'm on a business trip in Tokyo right now ... went to see the Akihabara shopping district yesterday, block after block of electronics mega-stores and alleys full of little electronics vendors.  Sony still has a buck or two in this town.

And they're advertising blu-ray just a little.

http://216.39.144.110/imagelib/tokyo/yamagiwa2.jpg

And HD-DVD is being advertised everywhere else. So is regular DVD's, Nintendo, Microsoft, Panasonic, Magnavox/Phillips.....

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Spathotan

They died? :P  They seem pretty popular here, most game shops I've stopped in at have half a wall devoted to PSP stuff.

Originally posted by Obraik
    They died? :P  They seem pretty popular here, most game shops I've stopped in at have half a wall devoted to PSP stuff.

UMD has been dead for months. Whats out there now is whats left, nobody is making UMD movies anymore, its just Sony making the games. The UMD/PSP movie section in the Target, Bestbuy, Walmart, and FYE here is gone, been gone for months. And the Games section is like one little 3 wide 4 tall section.

— Boba Fett

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I don't see how this is related to SWG. Sure, it's made by a division of Sony, but Sony is HUGE and has many other departments. That's like saying "Oh look, Africa has starving people, the rest of the world must suck!".

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

No offense to you personally but...

"I don't see how this is related to SWG. Sure, it's made by a division of Sony, but Sony is HUGE and has many other departments. That's like saying "Oh look, Africa has starving people, the rest of the world must suck!"."

That is probably the dumbest analogy I have ever seen in 37 years on this planet.

How many different ways do you think Sony Corp is listed on the stock market?

The company has had its stock value fall from $120+ to $40 in the last few years.  That is a 66% drop in stock share.. which affects the entire company.  How would you think it doesn't?

Perhaps you should skim the net for the articles on the massive restructuring of the company... non profit making divisions going away.. tens of thousands of jobs cut.... share holders demanding changes.

I'm not sure how you relate that to people in a country starving and the rest of the world sucking... even that statement doesn't make sense in an analogy.

Half of africa starves.. the other half has twice as much food now.... that wouldn't mean they have enough but its a mathmatical formula... aka fact.

Sony loses 66% share value.. it affects all divisions in a negative way... they don't suddenly have more of what profit there is per division...

Every division of Sony is affected by the massive profit loss they are facing and have faced for years...

Yet if all of afirca starved... it wouldn't exactly have a negative affect on the rest of the world.. aka everyone else starves as well.

As sony has to cut more profit losing divisions... If SOE doesn't make enough profit... guess what happens... In that way its exactly related to SWG...

Maybe you should go search specificly for Sony Tokyo share holder meeting... that was this year.  Those people aren't happy.

SOE is actually part of Sony Pictures which is a division of Sony.  Just be glad that spider man movies were one of the few things making a profit for sony in the last few years.  Since it most likely buried SOE's losses in the paper work.

Originally posted by Antarious

SOE is actually part of Sony Pictures which is a division of Sony.  Just be glad that spider man movies were one of the few things making a profit for sony in the last few years.  Since it most likely buried SOE's losses in the paper work.

Funny you say that. At the shareholders meeting earlier this year, it was stated that Sony Pictures and the camcorders/camera divsion were the only two of Sony's dozen or so divisions that were making profit.

Sony is like watching a bear cross a tightrope, while riding a unicycle. Its gonna fall any time now.

— Boba Fett

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

UMD has been dead for months. Whats out there now is whats left, nobody is making UMD movies anymore, its just Sony making the games. The UMD/PSP movie section in the Target, Bestbuy, Walmart, and FYE here is gone, been gone for months. And the Games section is like one little 3 wide 4 tall section.

Really? So all those new releases I just saw at Best Buy aren't real? Weird, guess there are going to be a lot of upset people when they try to play their illusions huh? image

Originally posted by Jodokai

Really? So all those new releases I just saw at Best Buy aren't real? Weird, guess there are going to be a lot of upset people when they try to play their illusions huh? image

Hey, while youre busy trying to debunk my "claim", read up on these links here. Pay close attention to the release dates on the movies, and also notice you will see nothing recent or new in their little library.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat56200050011
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=4096&search_query=Psp&Continue.x=0&Continue.y=0&Continue=Find&ic=20_0

Dont feel like making links. Anyways, Click, Xmen-3, and a few strays like RV, are the only recent movies relseased on the PSP, out of the dozens for DVD. If thats not dead I dont know what is. Completely gone? No. Gone enough? Yes.

— Boba Fett

• BogdawsonBogdawson Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Jodokai

Hey, while youre busy trying to debunk my "claim", read up on these links here. Pay close attention to the release dates on the movies, and also notice you will see nothing recent or new in their little library.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat56200050011
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=4096&search_query=Psp&Continue.x=0&Continue.y=0&Continue=Find&ic=20_0

Dont feel like making links. Anyways, Click, Xmen-3, and a few strays like RV, are the only recent movies relseased on the PSP, out of the dozens for DVD. If thats not dead I dont know what is. Completely gone? No. Gone enough? Yes.

i think the war over blue-ray and hd-dvd is what is cause this, they have made many enemies going in there own direction.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Money man, money.

Money does this for the game:

Marketing, promotions, and attracting people --- Now then, think business..if you have a tight budget and have to make a choice between spending lots of money on SWG or Star Wars Legos II for X-mas what do you do?

Do you bet on a 6 year old game, with no awards, horried reviews or bad press..

OR do you spend it on a award winning game, that is fun, no bugs and is somthing that people enjoy and will talk highly of to promote even more?

(Based on limited funds) -- because if you think they will dump a bunch of money into SWG your are high.