Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Maple Story is the best game I've ever played

Maple Story is often accused of being the worst game people have ever played. I say it's the best.

There is no "grind". People say Maple Story has "nothing but the grind"
-- few quests, no PvP, etc, while ignoring the fact that killing
monsters to level up in MS is *challenging* -- you have to take into
consideration the monster's speed, your weapon range, and other things,
and time your blows within milliseconds to avoid being hit. Every
class, from the starter island on, will need to learn mob control, as
monsters can easily crowd you in a sidescroller game. The exp loss upon
death is enormous.

I can honestly say I have never had more fun routinely killing mobs
than in Maple Story. Levelling is not a grind in this game; it's
actually fun and challenging. How many other MMOs can you say that for?

Maple Story also succeeds in the conventional fields of sound and
graphics. Even if you hate the game, you cannot deny that Maple Story
has one of the best soundtracks of any MMO. It also broke new ground as
the first sidescroller MMO, with unique, brightly-colored anime
graphics.

Comments

• Squall15Squall15 Member Posts: 454

I think the WoW quests are fun, but most others dont. At least they hide the grindign part behind some weird story...

"I'm hungry! Get me some wolf meat so i can cook it and eat it! Then ill give you some gloves. Mmmm..gloves.."

rofl

• MMO_ManMMO_Man Member Posts: 666

Originally posted by cathuros
    Maple Story is often accused of being the worst game people have ever played. I say it's the best.

There is no "grind". People say Maple Story has "nothing but the grind" -- few quests, no PvP, etc, while ignoring the fact that killing monsters to level up in MS is *challenging* -- you have to take into consideration the monster's speed, your weapon range, and other things, and time your blows within milliseconds to avoid being hit. Every class, from the starter island on, will need to learn mob control, as monsters can easily crowd you in a sidescroller game. The exp loss upon death is enormous.

I can honestly say I have never had more fun routinely killing mobs than in Maple Story. Levelling is not a grind in this game; it's actually fun and challenging. How many other MMOs can you say that for?

Maple Story also succeeds in the conventional fields of sound and graphics. Even if you hate the game, you cannot deny that Maple Story has one of the best soundtracks of any MMO. It also broke new ground as the first sidescroller MMO, with unique, brightly-colored anime graphics.

It's your first day playing isn't it?

I sleep with a pillow under my gun.

• TuutobTuutob Member Posts: 607

There is no "grind". People say Maple Story has "nothing but the grind" -- few quests, no PvP, etc, while ignoring the fact that killing monsters to level up in MS is *challenging* -- you have to take into consideration the monster's speed, your weapon range, and other things, and time your blows within milliseconds to avoid being hit. Every class, from the starter island on, will need to learn mob control, as monsters can easily crowd you in a sidescroller game. The exp loss upon death is enormous.

I can honestly say I have never had more fun routinely killing mobs than in Maple Story. Levelling is not a grind in this game; it's actually fun and challenging. How many other MMOs can you say that for?

Maple Story also succeeds in the conventional fields of sound and graphics. Even if you hate the game, you cannot deny that Maple Story has one of the best soundtracks of any MMO. It also broke new ground as the first sidescroller MMO, with unique, brightly-colored anime graphics.

^^^

Why people with under 50 posts should not have an opinion.

It must be your first day playing. Get off the Starter Island and find the cheesy mix of medieval and contemporary cultures. Find the boring monsters that don't do anything spectacular, just keep moving towards you after you hit them EIGHT HUNDRED FRIGGIN TIMES.

It's nothing against you, it's against your experience with MMO's and the matter-of-fact composition of your argument.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

There is no "grind". People say Maple Story has "nothing but the grind"
    -- few quests, no PvP, etc, while ignoring the fact that killing
    monsters to level up in MS is *challenging* -- you have to take into
    consideration the monster's speed, your weapon range, and other things,
    and time your blows within milliseconds to avoid being hit. Every
    class, from the starter island on, will need to learn mob control, as
    monsters can easily crowd you in a sidescroller game. The exp loss upon
    death is enormous.

I can honestly say I have never had more
    fun routinely killing mobs than in Maple Story. Levelling is not a
    grind in this game; it's actually fun and challenging. How many other
    MMOs can you say that for?

Maple Story also succeeds in the
    conventional fields of sound and graphics. Even if you hate the game,
    you cannot deny that Maple Story has one of the best soundtracks of any
    MMO. It also broke new ground as the first sidescroller MMO, with
    unique, brightly-colored anime graphics.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• OwenMcQOwenMcQ Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Tuutob
    Why people with under 50 posts should not have an opinion.

It must be your first day playing. Get off the Starter Island and find the cheesy mix of medieval and contemporary cultures. Find the boring monsters that don't do anything spectacular, just keep moving towards you after you hit them EIGHT HUNDRED FRIGGIN TIMES.

It's nothing against you, it's against your experience with MMO's and the matter-of-fact composition of your argument.

Judging someone's experience by their post count can be misleading.  I'm sure I've been playing RPGs/MUDs/MMOs longer than at least 75% of the people here, but you couldn't tell that by my post count.  :)

Your take on the game may well be valid, but prefacing your post with that first sentence tends to discredit anything written further.

Just an observation, carry on.  :)
  • EpeenEpeen Member UncommonPosts: 95

I like to take it up the butt!

HAHAHAHAH Good  story!

• hoyhoyhoyhoyhoyhoy Member Posts: 12
    if i want to play a 2d side scrolling jumping game, id play super mario bros.
  • SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

It also broke new ground as
    the first sidescroller MMO, with unique, brightly-colored anime
    graphics.

Hi. My name is Matt. I live in the year 2006.
    I have not played a side scroller since 1997.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

Hah! People always assume games were the first to do something new. Infact the first sidescroller MMO was castle infinity. A game I played when I was like 11 and bought from blockbuster lol. Had no monthly charge or anything. I heard on Attack of the Show that it was the first graphical MMO. MUDs being the first MMO in general.

www.castleinfinity.com if you dont believe me.

• ljfsevenljfseven Member Posts: 65
    I think I just died a little inside after reading this.  Ok so you think its a good game.  But I have a hard time believing anyone could think that it is the best game they have ever played.  Well unless you helped develop it.  Or have some sort of affiliation.  Not accusing just ruffling feathers image
  • SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

Maplestory has a grind,sorry to burst your bubble. You'll notice it pretty soon,around level 15. The exp loss is 3%,and seeing how much you have to grind later on to gain just 3%,I'd say it was enormous then,but it's a pretty normal xp loss rate. As usual,if you have a guild or join parties a lot,or do the QUESTS (one good thing is that they finally have lots of quests in,too bad some of them are a little out of place at certain times,but it's better than nothing) the grind will go by a little easier.

The 2d side-scrolling is a nice break from 3d games,but it's not really as complex as you make it sound. Grinding will involve just pressing one button over and over and over again,and maybe 'jumping' over enemies occasionally. Oh,and maybe you'll need enough dex/int to hit some enemies,but that's it.

I could say that about Rappelz easily on first impression; how you have to 'time' your spells right,then make sure that there's no 'aggressive' mobs nearby to make the solo kill worse,and then if you have a pet to make sure that it doesn't get aggro because it was a weakling and I'm training it and it has low hp/level,and then to go looking for spawns because they're a little less common than other games,and then to avoid the Auto-Traps,and so on and so on.

Maplestory's 'level grind' is not very challenging,it's just a basic 2d hack and slash with occasional jumping. You'll soon notice it in the higher levels. I admit it has its 'charm' about it,but that doesn't last long for me when I'm playing.

The Maplestory sounds aren't bad. Neither are the graphics,even if they are aimed for a younger and 'cute' audience. The variety of visual enemies is a nice change even if most of them are your basic melee stumblers. (some do cast spells,both defensive and offensive ).

Maplestory is also about to be challenged for it's 'unique' position by Ghost Soul,from the makers of LegendofAres and HeroOnline. (there was also that 'Dragon Warriors' game I heard about a while back?) So maybe we'll see some improvements,maybe not.

The problem with Maplestory for me isn't the grind,but the reliance on 'character' templates. Every class needs to follow pretty much the exact same stat distribution for their class (there's not much choice in skills either,but there are at least several 'skill' templates to follow),and you'll need a guide to know what to put for your stats. Otherwise, your character will be 'gimped'. There's no room for creative variation,such as having a high-dex warrior or a high-str thief.

• GrindPlzGrindPlz Member Posts: 147

well i like maple story acept the fact that there so many hackers and kiddies community

------------------------
    I love MMorpgs..

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    It's a grind. The whole game is just one big grind.
  • ragnarokekragnarokek Member Posts: 134

the maplestory community is dying. maybe the thread starter is the only one left who plays that game.

• ShojinShojin Member Posts: 88
    You should try Ghost Soul Online, or Ragnarok Online.  Both are superior and more challenging.

Just on the border of your waking mind
    There lies another time
    Where darkness and light are one,
    And as you tread the halls of sanity,
    You feel so glad to be unable to go beyond.
    I have a message from another time...

Axis Eleven

• @Large@Large Member Posts: 101

You talk about there being no grind.... then you disprove yourself.
    You talk about exp loss.... yet there is no grind?  As far as I'm concerned XP loss = grind.
    You talk about avoiding blows from a mob within milliseconds.... sorry, nothing new here!
    You've never had more fun routinely killing mobs?   Kill the same ones a thousand times and get back to me. This is an mmo, not a single player game... You're going to kill that shit for as long as you play... still exciting?
    It has the best soundtrack of any mmo and broke some kind of ground with ANIME graphics?  You're just talking out of your ass now.

• TrinexxTrinexx Member Posts: 21
    Are you playing the same Maple Story as we are..?

Wait...

Damn!
    DARK side.
    Seriously, I meant Dark Side.

• abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

EDIT: This is  my 50th post, thereby making my opinion valid....wuwuwuwuwuwuuu!!!

---------
    no sig

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441

Originally posted by abnesher

EDIT: This is  my 50th post, thereby making my opinion valid....wuwuwuwuwuwuuu!!!

Sorry it takes 500 posts to be taken seriously. Sorry, but the latest patch changed the requirements.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

damn! I knew it...oh well then i have to leech on others opinions again.

I agree with above poster...

---------
    no sig