Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are there laws banning me from taking this back to the shop?

TMHillTMHill Member Posts: 3

This game is not finished. Its interface is elementary and, for some things, slightly unwieldy. The graphics make for beautiful pictures, but when they are animated in-game they are very average.

There are constant annoyances - like the fact that the controls are very much mouse oriented. This would be fine, except when, for example, you get an add in a fight, and say the add is not a particularly large object, if you attempt to use the mouse to target the add, the chances are you will miss, accidentally clicking in the distance, and sending your character running away. This sounds like its easy to correct once you've done it - but the problem is that you've probably gone past 20 other mobs in that time and they're now all added.

So - its more sensible to just keep running...unless, of course - there is a small wooden fence in the way! Then your axe-wielding, gun-toting, sword-slinging hero is stuck! Or maybe a drop of about knee-height! Yes, its one of THOSE games, where everyone can only go a specific way around everything. I thought we left that kind of "not-really-free-movement" back with SNES games.

And most importantly... questing. This is hard to explain - but these feel like having a second job. They are monotonous. I know thats true of most mmo's, but these just feel SO predictable. Go there - kill 10 of these. While you're there, you notice that there is a different type of mob. Guess what the next part of the quest chain is? Yep - kill those. While doing that, you see an Elite. Guess what the final part of the chain is? Right again.

Mobs spawn so quickly, there's never a need to explore. So, you have to kill 20 flying eyeballs but you only see a group of 5? Don't worry, by the time you are killing number 3, number one has respawned. No need to hunt for more.

I really could go on and on about everything that just wrong with this game, but I know thats not very interesting.

Overall, this is a messy game - and the game you get to, after wading through the mess, is not actually fun. It might be fun in PvP - but frankly most games are. PvE, this would have rated highly back in the 90s, but not in this century.

HOWEVER - the whole point of my post is this:
This is a game which can be played by people who like it. Fine.

However, it is NOT what it is sold as being. It is light-years behind the likes of WoW, but is being sold on the promise of being the next step in mmorpg. Legislation dictates that if you have opened and installed a game, you cannot return it. For the first time ever with an MMO, I will not even be playing through the entire free period.

If you do not KNOW that you are going to like this game, I would bet that once you start playing it, you don't.

Comments

• TheGhostlordTheGhostlord Member Posts: 30

The reason you cannot return it to the shop is because of the CD-Key you have used up when opening the box. If the box was completely unopened you probably could return it,if they could be sure you didnt install/play the game.

And yes,the game is unfinished and poorly developed at this time,but i already knew that from playing the beta so i saved myself the money and sanity of playing that game retail. It probably would've flown well in the late or mid 90's,but now? Come on...image

I have a question to all fanbois who will undoubtebly flock to the thread looking for another poster to flame...

In a game that supposedly revolves around PvP, why is there such an ungodly amount of PvE-grind, in fact more than most modern mmo's ?

• TMHillTMHill Member Posts: 3

Security measures aside, there should be a method by which I can return this copy and get my money back after installing. After about 5 hours of gameplay I came to the sorry conclusion that this game is not what it is sold as being and I will never play it again.

Videogames have long enjoyed sales protection by this "anti-piracy" method - and I think, when a game is described like this, and presented in marketing videos the way this has been, if it just isn't like that then the customer should have the ability to reverse the purchase decision.

Essentially, I thought I was buying an improvement on DAoC, and ended up with a mouse-button tester.

Seriously "Incredible, jaw dropping graphics" is how this was sold. Its simply a lie. If a bought a book called "The life of a penguin" and it turned out to be about giraffes, I'd expect to get my money back.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by TMHill

Security measures aside, there should be a method by which I can return this copy and get my money back after installing. After about 5 hours of gameplay I came to the sorry conclusion that this game is not what it is sold as being and I will never play it again.
    Videogames have long enjoyed sales protection by this "anti-piracy" method - and I think, when a game is described like this, and presented in marketing videos the way this has been, if it just isn't like that then the customer should have the ability to reverse the purchase decision.
    Essentially, I thought I was buying an improvement on DAoC, and ended up with a mouse-button tester.
    Seriously "Incredible, jaw dropping graphics" is how this was sold. Its simply a lie. If a bought a book called "The life of a penguin" and it turned out to be about giraffes, I'd expect to get my money back.

This is why you research before you buy. PC games and electronics especially. image

• kahnzkahnz Member Posts: 244

I haven't played a game that was finished at release in at least 5 years.  Every MMO releases their product before it is ready.  That's why i usually don't even bother with the opening day rush.  You can either keep playing and hope they fix their problems or put the game on the shelf for a few months and check back on it from time to time (which will cost you $14 a time :p).  It is BS that their is no satisfaction guarantee on MMORPGs, but if there were one then all of the MMOs on the market would be bankrupt.

I was just checking on this forum to see how the game was before i bought it.  Thanks for the info.

• TMHillTMHill Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by IdesofMarch
    This is why you research before you buy. PC games and electronics especially. image

Yeah - I agree with that. I should have researched more - but I did read up a lot in the forums about the beta, and must have wanted to believe the positive posts I read. My fault. Fortunately, I'm a pretty high earner and can afford to bin this junk. If I were a 12 year old on pocket money who had to save up for this, I'd be really upset (although would, as you say, probably have done way more research).

Originally posted by kahnz

I haven't played a game that was finished at release in at least 5 years.  Every MMO releases their product before it is ready.  That's why i usually don't even bother with the opening day rush.  You can either keep playing and hope they fix their problems or put the game on the shelf for a few months and check back on it from time to time (which will cost you $14 a time :p).  It is BS that their is no satisfaction guarantee on MMORPGs, but if there were one then all of the MMOs on the market would be bankrupt.

I was just checking on this forum to see how the game was before i bought it.  Thanks for the info.

There's a difference between "not finished" in that there are a few glitches to clear and some customer support issues to ensure that various harware set-ups can run, and "not finished" in that much of the basic essential functionality is really amateur.

I'm not kidding - if this was developed by a garage devloper, I'd be impressed. But as it stands, from a company with the length of experience of Codemasters, this is just embarrassing.

If my post has helped you decide not to buy, then I'm sorry - I'd much rather that you found a friend who has bought it and played it with them for a while, before making your mind up. As I said - if people like this game (which some do) then thats fine - but you just can't make your mind up from the outside, since the marketting information available does not describe the actual gaming experience!

Still - good on you for doing more research than me!!!