Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 month pre-pay accounts question?

Just wondering whether the last bunch of 12 month pre-pay people to get shafted last November are about to ditch their accounts?

I was just thinking about whether a bunch of subs were about to run out, and if so it would explain why they're pushing the complete box set to try and prop the numbers up a little.

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    Nah, the boxed set isn't going to draw anyone back.  It's there to draw noobs in with a low price for all expansions.

The unexpired prepaids are probably all about gone by now or soon will be, they are the main reason why, IMHO, the sub numbers reported by MMORPGCHART were way out of line with perceptions on the servers, ie: many more cancelled but still open accounts left that technically count as subs, but they don't play.

The next update there should be taking that into account, and it's going to be very ugly.  Remember the story about the AGC stated that SWG had lost half it's subscribers since the NGE.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by Wildcat84

The next update there should be taking that into account, and it's going to be very ugly.  Remember the story about the AGC stated that SWG had lost half it's subscribers since the NGE.

Aren't you glad NGE happened? Because apparently, before NGE, SWG was bleeding subs like crazy.
  • milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

The box set release is pretty funny really since it's completely useless. After spending god-knows how many thousands of dollars on manufacturing, marketing and promoting they'll attract a very small number of new buyers (most will be people buying them as gifts since everyone else who plays MMO's knows better) who won't sub after the first free month since the game is so woeful.

I'm forgetting a few sad pro-NGE'ers who'll buy the box set so they can get the free Barc/wookie-deodarant or whatever lame giveaway is that'll be attached to it.

Please god let this game go back to classic sevrers or just die gracefully with the proper respect it truly deserved.

Originally posted by milton1970

The box set release is pretty funny really since it's completely useless. After spending god-knows how many thousands of dollars on manufacturing, marketing and promoting they'll attract a very small number of new buyers (most will be people buying them as gifts since everyone else who plays MMO's knows better) who won't sub after the first free month since the game is so woeful.
    I'm forgetting a few sad pro-NGE'ers who'll buy the box set so they can get the free Barc/wookie-deodarant or whatever lame giveaway is that'll be attached to it.
    Please god let this game go back to classic sevrers or just die gracefully with the proper respect it truly deserved.

I bet the boxed set is in the bargain bin before the end of November.  There is absolutely no market for it.  Everyone who is still playing the game already has the expansions, it's not worth $30 for yet another clone wars vehicle, and there aren't any new players to speak of who would naturally take advantage of getting the expansions cheap.

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Rekrul

Aren't you glad NGE happened? Because apparently, before NGE, SWG was bleeding subs like crazy.

Indeed, I'm glad they fixed that.  I was really worried. 

Originally posted by Uberman

Yeah, apparently SOE preferred to bleed quicker.  So instead of losing 50K net over two years, they would rather lose 150K in a year.

I'd say most of the big drops past the immediate mass cancel with NGE release in subs happened at 3 months, 6 months, and 9-12 months after NGE, as quarterly, semi-annual, and annual subs expired.  I used to do the 3 month sub myself, as I saved a few bucks with my multi accounts.  My guess is that most people did at least the 3 month plan to save money.

• baclimonbaclimon Member Posts: 34
    On top of everything else, I recieved a emal from SWG to re-activate my Jedi account. I tried to log in and it prompted me to suscribe. They cant even get their promotions right.

--Baclimon--

www.starfleetguild.com

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Try and think like a soe, ehm no way.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Nah, the boxed set isn't going to draw anyone back.  It's there to draw noobs in with a low price for all expansions.

The unexpired prepaids are probably all about gone by now or soon will be, they are the main reason why, IMHO, the sub numbers reported by MMORPGCHART were way out of line with perceptions on the servers, ie: many more cancelled but still open accounts left that technically count as subs, but they don't play.

The boxed set won't draw many noobs either.  It'll be fun to see the fallout.

It also didn't have enough subscribers and would have been cancelled had they not added the mass audience the NGE did.  The measly 250K subscriber base was too small for SWG to be profitable.  It is great that they now have those millions of WoW players so the game can survive.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Uberman

The
    next update there should be taking that into account, and it's going to
    be very ugly.  Remember the story about the AGC stated that SWG
    had lost half it's subscribers since the NGE.

You two broke my sarcasm detector. I'm gonna sit here and hold my breath until you replace it.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Obee

How much is complete going for? The last release (Starter Kit?) is available for $19.99 or less and contains all the expansions that exist at this point.

On a side note, is SOE still claiming that another expansion will be released?  Are there really enough subs to justify an expansion that has to be purchased based on whatever % of players typically buy expansions?

Originally posted by shirlnt
    Originally posted by Obee

The
    unexpired prepaids are probably all about gone by now or soon will be,
    they are the main reason why, IMHO, the sub numbers reported by
    MMORPGCHART were way out of line with perceptions on the servers, ie:
    many more cancelled but still open accounts left that technically count
    as subs, but they don't play.

The next update there should be
    taking that into account, and it's going to be very ugly. 
    Remember the story about the AGC stated that SWG had lost half it's
    subscribers since the NGE.

How
    much is complete going for? The last release (Starter Kit?) is
    available for $19.99 or less and contains all the expansions that exist
    at this point.

On a side note, is SOE still
    claiming that another expansion will be released?  Are there
    really enough subs to justify an expansion that has to be purchased
    based on whatever % of players typically buy expansions?

The complete box is listed at $29.99 currently.  It'll be $19.99 by Christmas.

They said they wouldn't even consider planning on another expansion
    until next summer.  They also lied about why they cancelled the
    one they were working on (bug fixing).  It was cancelled due to
    lack of subs and so they could move the team to the DC Comics
    game.  There will not be another expansion for SWG.  SOE has
    given up on it.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

This part, I honestly, truly do not understand. I'm not saying it won't happen; indeed it will. I have about 20 former guild mates who still play SWG. Of them, I would venture to say at least half, complain regularly about SOE, do not like the NGE, and just like me, preferred at least pre-NGE, if not pre-CU. Many of them will tell you that they have station pass and use it more to play EQ/EQ2 than SWG. They will gripe as loudly as anyone here about the devs. Some of them went absolutely ballistic when the crafter revamp was pushed back.

And yet, still they subscribe. OK, well they have station passes.

But on top of that, just about every single one who thinks the NGE sucks and wishes for CU or pre-CU to come back, who hates the devs and the horses they rode in on...  just about every one of those players is going to, for no reason I can possibly fathom, buy the new boxed set when it comes out, just to get the new toy.

I don't get it. I really. Do not. Get it.

But I haven't really asked about it on their forum (which I still read since I'm friends with many of them) because I don't want to offend anyone there. I just don't get it though... why would you spend more money on a few trinkets in a game you already admit you hate? /shake_head

And they will. And I will continue to be unable to fathom it.

C
  • shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Chessack

This part, I honestly, truly do not understand. I'm not saying it won't happen; indeed it will. I have about 20 former guild mates who still play SWG. Of them, I would venture to say at least half, complain regularly about SOE, do not like the NGE, and just like me, preferred at least pre-NGE, if not pre-CU. Many of them will tell you that they have station pass and use it more to play EQ/EQ2 than SWG. They will gripe as loudly as anyone here about the devs. Some of them went absolutely ballistic when the crafter revamp was pushed back.

And yet, still they subscribe. OK, well they have station passes.

But on top of that, just about every single one who thinks the NGE sucks and wishes for CU or pre-CU to come back, who hates the devs and the horses they rode in on...  just about every one of those players is going to, for no reason I can possibly fathom, buy the new boxed set when it comes out, just to get the new toy.

I don't get it. I really. Do not. Get it.

But I haven't really asked about it on their forum (which I still read since I'm friends with many of them) because I don't want to offend anyone there. I just don't get it though... why would you spend more money on a few trinkets in a game you already admit you hate? /shake_head

And they will. And I will continue to be unable to fathom it.

C

I imagine current players buying the game just to get the object is a big part of the customer base SOE is planning on for the complete.  Although I imagine that something VERY similar to the object will soon be offered as a vet reward if the game last much longer.