Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Ryzom game for roleplayers ?

RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

I tried and tried , but i just can not get into the game.

And now that there is no way to "sample" inland areas. I need to ask.

Why is this the roleplay MMO ? Any examples ?

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Comments

• L0k1-L0k1- Member Posts: 240
    it's driven by the players, the players themself evolve the story in Ryzom, not the developers from what i've heard :)

especially now with the first free expansion Ryzom Ring, where players can make their own quests and storylines

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Originally posted by L0k1-
    it's driven by the players, the players themself evolve the story in Ryzom, not the developers from what i've heard :)

especially now with the first free expansion Ryzom Ring, where players can make their own quests and storylines

From what you heared ? If you dont play it , than your oppinion hardly counts.

Anyway , since as always on ryzom forums , the answers are scarce. Let me add my own rant.

So you say Ryzom is THE roleplaying MMO ?

Let me give my example of roleplaying MMO:

NWN, roleplaying server Daggerford.

Character : Tom Shadowfoot , class rogue

As newcomer I was giving my services as an expert scout for money , and this was the way i was representing myself. My goal was two things entering elusive thief guild and temple of mask. After few weeks i was invited by a secret message to a back alley , where me and few other rogues were awaiting to be evaluated by thiefs guild. A man with mask gave us the task of burglaring certan house in town and bringing the loot back to him.
    We used all our thief expertise to break in undetected , but we were detected by a house owner who we murdered in cold blood. Unfortunately this was a big mistake - and thieves guild never wanted to have anything with us again. We never seen or heared from them again. However our murdering rampage attracted attention of Mask cult that took us under its wings. We were given tasks on certain nights to rob and murder random people.
    Than i heared that city guard is looking for a new people. I managed to enroll and get quite respectible position as city guard detective ... quite ironically - I was now investigating the same murders , me and my buddies were convincing...Needles to say that cult of Mask was very pleased...

So as you see , this is a life of a character on roleplay server.

If ryzom is like this , i am jumping in this moment...

On other hand if its not...quit spreading false rumours

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528

With R2 and good Adventure Masters it can be.
    The other things that support good RP is the lore, the ongoing guide events (storyline is mostly forwarded by live events) and the mature community, even if they don't RP themselves they don't give you crap for doing it.

Here's an example from my PoV.

I started play from the written background as a young and idealistic hunter, raised in a mixed race refugee camp after the great swarming and seeing my job as a hunter and warrior to be helping our people regain their planet.

This I did, honing my skills, forming a guild under Kostika, leader of our guild.  We styled ourselves mercenaries and rogues because as refugees we had nothing, we scouted, expored, took paid work protecting harvesters and diggers from creatures and bandits (PvP players).

As time wore on and events rolled by we realised that the Kami - what we considered to be our faction back then - were hypocritical and secretive while the opposing faction, the Karavan, weren't any better but were worse if anything.  Still we decided we didn't want anything more to do with either faction any more and went completely neutral, for hire for either side but trying to keep the factions balanced.

There is a neutral leader, one Elias Tryton, but he's vanished into the roots leaving his guild and folllowers directionless. So the neutrals are pretty much left to fend for themselves right now.

10 in-game years have passed and my character is now a lot more bitter and cynical, though he'll still put it on the line for constructive goals - but those are fewer and further between as the factions and their followers gear up to fight each other, forgetting the peaceful goals of the past, which depresses him.

Our guild has done noteworthy RP things like sell our outpost and we cleave to a historical bond with the Tryker people.

On to R2 - in an attempt to escape from much of the political fighting and its fallout we have decamped to our own guild town in the newly opened wilderness.  This was just tents and junk but we played out a scenario where we fought for and earned the respect of a local tribe, so much so that they supplied us with materials to repair and construct our guild town properly.  We've also smuggled rum through the prime roots and are beginning to explore the area around us.

There's lots there.

Remember, Neverwinter isn't really an MMO, but R2 allows much of what it allows while the main gameworld backs that up with community.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

Rattrap, Ryzom might be a good RP friendly MMORPG, but it's no Daggerford/Haze/Penitence.

I believe it's the genre; in a MMORPG your character and your characters levels have a value, people would even pay money for a high level character in a popular game. The game must give equal chances to every player that pays the fee. But in a private NWN server like Daggerford (I didn't play that one, but the team's later PWs: Haze), a character could die anytime and were never high level (effectively lvl 2-5 on Haze). Low levels/high mortality also made the character choices more extreme I think. The possibility of having an invisible DM around also helped roleplaying

Now, Daggerford/Haze/Penitence was the elite (in the best sense of the word) RP servers. I remember being astonished over simple things, like when some players harvested potatoes and described every moment of the procedure. It also made me look back at my own simple Euro-English and sigh. None of the servers I tried since have had that level of RP and I really wanna see that team come around again.

But what makes Ryzom a good choice for a roleplayer? First, it's quite dynamic - you can change factions and make friendship with tribes by doing errands for them. The community is positive to RP even if not everyone roleplays. Ryzom Ring with a DM could be used very much as NWN and ideally maybe even reach the same depths of the story you told.

Are there any better MMORPGs for roleplayers, not counting NWN?

EDIT: Bah! I sound so negative when I wanted to be objective. ::::14:: The point is, RP is best in a group of likeminded. For me, immersion is most important and the wildlife of Ryzom makes the world feel alive more than anything I tried.

Originally posted by frkhot97

Rattrap, Ryzom might be a good RP friendly MMORPG, but it's no Daggerford/Haze/Penitence.
    I believe it's the genre; in a MMORPG your character and your characters levels have a value, people would even pay money for a high level character in a popular game. The game must give equal chances to every player that pays the fee. But in a private NWN server like Daggerford (I didn't play that one, but the team's later PWs: Haze), a character could die anytime and were never high level (effectively lvl 2-5 on Haze). Low levels/high mortality also made the character choices more extreme I think. The possibility of having an invisible DM around also helped roleplaying
    Now, Daggerford/Haze/Penitence was the elite (in the best sense of the word) RP servers. I remember being astonished over simple things, like when some players harvested potatoes and described every moment of the procedure. It also made me look back at my own simple Euro-English and sigh. None of the servers I tried since have had that level of RP and I really wanna see that team come around again.
    But what makes Ryzom a good choice for a roleplayer? First, it's quite dynamic - you can change factions and make friendship with tribes by doing errands for them. The community is positive to RP even if not everyone roleplays. Ryzom Ring with a DM could be used very much as NWN and ideally maybe even reach the same depths of the story you told.
    Are there any better MMORPGs for roleplayers, not counting NWN?
    EDIT: Bah! I sound so negative when I wanted to be objective. ::::14:: The point is, RP is best in a group of likeminded. For me, immersion is most important and the wildlife of Ryzom makes the world feel alive more than anything I tried.

Thanks for the honest answer.

And you are quite right. Daggerford/Haze/Penitence was the closest experience to the "true roleplay" as an online game could ever get. Heck even membership was by recomendation only + approved character concept. So all the players were roleplaying elite. Also perma death and constant invisible DM treath made it very vivid.

I still remember when in the end of a story arc spanning months. Few high level characters ( i am talking level 8 ..heh.. it was so slow to get levels there ) died protecting us. They builded their characters for a year and then faced the death (permanent) roleplaying their heroic effort. This was quite a moment , and truly great feat of roleplay.

Is there any MMO that can come close to this. I dont think it is possible.

But Ryzom Ring might be the step in the right direction, coupled with persistance of MMO (opposed to NWN)

I think you have made me a beliver

• XoloXXoloX Member Posts: 83

I'll try to wrap it in other words - as briefly as I'm able to...

Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because there are no classes that tie you to available actions.
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because no race and no faction is initially good or bad.
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because you have a large and immersive lore - but/and
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because you don't get thrown into a predefined plot so
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because the character itself has to work out the lore oneself or with its guild.
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because you're free to choose any alignment and faction, even create a minority faction yourself if you feel like it (a guild on Leanon did just that...).
    Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because, summing it up a bit, you have to roleplay someone to really play your role - you'd have no purpose if you didn't...

Ryzom Ring, R², will be the answer for all who want to escape into other player's visions once in a whlie or those who need to do manyfold missions sometimes.
    Ryzom is far from being the roleplayre's dream... it's lacking some RP props (all that useless stuff just to fiddle around with) to really sink into roleplaying all the time. But "we" don't quit asking for it and since we know that the dev's get the players opinions we still have hopes.

It's not comparable to NWN, where your allegiance is predefined (by yourself, but your class as well) and can only be changed by actions a DM specified as counting toward chaotic/lawful or good/evil, where one's roleplay is expressed by high words first and hopefully actions later. That's fun, too, and we propably all started out roleplaying like that somewhere at sometime. In Ryzom you're all out neutral at the start, you have inherent tendencies by choice of race but that's it... The rest is defined by you while you play. It's your actions first, even more important your interactions, and your words as a bonus to it. Or plain: different
    Just check it out, the trial's free and unlimited in time and ask questions in region channel.

...activating morph from silent reader to active poster...
    ...pending...
    ...pending...
    ...pending...

• KyernaKyerna Member Posts: 119

Imo it comes also down to how you aproach the game, but then again, that may hold true for almost any MMORPG. If someone decides to play the game and expects to be led around to learn about the lore and build up a character through quests, they'll innevitably feel cheated with Ryzom, because that is not what it is about. You can 'play' the game, but you need to 'live' your role. Your actions and their consequences are what shapes your character, the ideaology and knowledge on the lore you own will be heavily influenced by those YOU talk to/interact with. Next to the official live events that progress the story, most in which you can participate, you may need to devise your own goals and 'quests'; as in: 'what is important to your character?' Will you go out and hunt particular creatures to aid a certain artisan or become an artisan of your own, will you try to brave the Prime Roots looking for clues on our ancestral civilization, will you work on relationships with the nearby tribes, or rather look for those exquisite and rare materials found on the bark and get rich of them, will you dedicate yourself to a Higher Power and shed the sap of others in it's name, or will it be your goal to try and learn more on the enigmatic Elias Tryton ... or root it out, will you train to become a master at arms to protect your kinsmen from the ever-hungry hivemind of the Kitin?

It's your role, your life on the Bark.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

I'm going to add a bit more.

Ryzom is roleplayer friendly because roleplaying is supported by the devs (they run plots and stories in-game, and so forth) and is welcomed and respected by the community, even the non-RPing community. This is the only time I've seen that in an MMORPG. Most of the time, I have seen open hostility toward RPers.

In SWG, I was regularly laughed at for having the unmitigated gall to roleplay my Entertainer rather than AFK macro-botting her. When my roleplay guild had a "party night", several RP haters would try to crash it every week and ruin it. When the Galactic Entertainers' Society had its announced weekly performances, the uber-leets would show up on purpose and have duels right in the middle of the dance troupe, because we were RPing, and they despised RPers.

In Guild Wars, when some friends and I made the mistake of RPing in "local" chat (rather than using team chat), we were insulted by a number of passers-by, and I was sent several very insulting personal messages. You see, apparently we had no right to be RPing in the middle of town -- go do that in a private instance.

And when I was in City of Heroes and two others and I were near the train station in Skyway City roleplaying, we had passersby insult us and shout things like "STFU NOOBS!" because we were RPing, or stand in the middle of our RP group and spam AOE healing and other powers every 10 seconds to annoy us. We literally used to find and clear out the front areas of mission instances so we could RP in peace after a while, because so often people would find and grief us for no other reason than we were RPing, and they apparently hated RPers.

And as we know, in games where there are official RP servers, you have to go RP on those, because if you dare RPed anywhere else, you'd be mocked and laughed off the server by the rest of the players, who would, of course, hate you for daring to RP.

No such behavior has ever happened to me in Ryzom. Not everyone roleplays, to be sure, but (a) a much larger segment of the population seems willing to conduct at least modest RP, and (b) those who have zero interest in RP seem perfectly willing to accept that it goes on, and behave respectfully toward the RPers. That alone makes Ryzom far more RP-friendly than the other MMOs I have played.

A second thing that I didn't see mentioned here is the Ryzom Ring. This is a scenario builder like the NWN toolset. You can create your own adventures and run your friends through them and "DM" the adventures for your friends. It's hard to imagine this tool being used for all that much other than RP... and I know of no other MMORPG that has such a tool. The developers have spent about a year (maybe more) working on this -- again, evidence that they actively support roleplaying by devoting massive amounts of time to roleplay tools.

Ryzom is certainly not perfect and of course, not everyone roleplays. But if you are a roleplayer, it is easier to find other RPers, and there exist more tools and reasons to RP, in Ryzom than in the other MMORPGs I have played.

C

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Rattrap

And that is because he is not giving his opinion. He is just passing along information that he has gotten from other players with the idea that it might help you frame your own opinion.

What is it with these game forums where people feel like they need to attack others in knee jerk fashion!

edit: oh, and this is also what I've read from the Ryzom forums as well. Though I actually have played the game I have never run into enough roleplayers to ask them. Good community though and very very helpful.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NeasNeas Member Posts: 887
    i really love these types of questions...

By its definition any game is equal to roleplay... hence why people can roleplay very well with no game at all.

Live roleplay anyone?  Dungeons and Dragons anyone? Ryzom?  WoW? SWG?

You can roleplay as much as you like in any of these situations... cause it comes from within, its imagination and not the game that makes roleplay... the only other thing is people.

Roleplay isnt game dependant, its people + imagination.... and thats what i hear people arguing why ryzom is a Roleplayer friendly game, but it comes down to it any game is... cause roleplay is something you make up with imagination and text usually.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

1- it wasn't an opinion, just infos

2- If you answer people trying to help like this, you don't deserve an opinion anyway

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

Originally posted by Neas

By its definition any game is equal to roleplay... hence why people can roleplay very well with no game at all.

You can roleplay as much as you like in any of these situations... cause it comes from within, its imagination and not the game that makes roleplay... the only other thing is people.

Roleplay isnt game dependant, its people + imagination.... and thats what i hear people arguing why ryzom is a Roleplayer friendly game, but it comes down to it any game is... cause roleplay is something you make up with imagination and text usually.

My post was erased , so i got to make new one. Cause i just have to make point.

I am sick of people like you Neas. Little, ignorant , arogant , selfish. Always posting answers like this. Always the same.

When you ask , is there a roleplay in this game (or any) - You and people like you always answer the same thing.

So in your limited mind , you assume one can roleplay in every game with chat screen ? So you are saying one can roleplay in Counter strike ? Or let say online chess ?

Or you are saying it is possible? Cause everything is possible...

Clearly you dont know jack shit about roleplaying, nor does it interest you. You play WOW for crying out loud.

Originally posted by vladww

1- it wasn't an opinion, just infos

2- If you answer people trying to help like this, you don't deserve an opinion anyway

You ever heard of expression ?

"No information is better than a wrong one"

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

Clearly you dont know jack shit about roleplaying, nor does it interest you. You play WOW for crying out loud.

Ok, please play nice.
    There are ways to roleplay in WoW, but your choices will not change anything in the game.

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

Originally posted by Neas

My post was erased , so i got to make new one. Cause i just have to make point.
    I am sick of people like you Neas. Little, ignorant , arogant , selfish. Always posting answers like this. Always the same.
    When you ask , is there a roleplay in this game (or any) - You and people like you always answer the same thing.
    So in your limited mind , you assume one can roleplay in every game with chat screen ? So you are saying one can roleplay in Counter strike ? Or let say online chess ?
    Or you are saying it is possible? Cause everything is possible...

Look at my avatar... before making wild assumptions.  time to correct you..

1. I played wow  5 months ago... i havent played any mmorpg since then... so that makes me the most unbiased person here... i quit ryzom i quit wow... i've played them both and i see their merits... but unlike a majority of people on this board i don't hold a love for either of them now but have experience from both.

2. You obviously don't know what roleplay is... the type of 'roleplay' you want is exactly what wow provides... scripted premade quests and story and background... which isn't even roleplay.  you can roleplay chess you can pretend your a world wide grand master with a deathwish... you can roleplay in chat... didn't you ever play the really old text games? 

And what crawled up your ass?  I mean rofl you have the audacity to call me ignorant and arrogant... look up these terms and then read how judgemental and egotist your reply sounded then perhaps you'll take out whatever jumped up your ass.

And i'm sick of people, newbs who cant be assed reading the previous threads ALONG THESE LINES... and yes thats you just fyi.

This question has been debated alot for a long time read the forum... instead of trying to bump your post count by double posting.

And please... tell me how i am selfish from replying to this?  Really if you gonna start lowering the IQ requirement at least keep it above 50 man.

You come off as a total jackass, generalising people on mmorpg.com to my one reply... which i might add was one of 4 replys in 6 months... so yea i do this all the time, im little ignorant and arrogant and selfish.... dude get an clue.

So yea... your entire reply was totally wrong.  And i wonder why your post was erased ;p... cause your aggressive, egotistical and oppressive, so much foulness comes out your mouth... a moderator has to delete your post.... yea i can only imagine what your original post was like.... some people really need to get laid ;), or neutured.

I mean the way you jumped on the guy saying "he heard that ryzom was good" shows your a total dick... nuff said eveyone can see it... so go on get lost in the mmorpg world you don't have any friends anyways.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

Ye yes , sound off Neas

I called you what i called you , because i am sick of seeing people like you.

Always when you ask some question on the forums there is at least one resident smartass like you.

Example...

Try it. Go and let say in EVE forum ask something like this " I dont like pvp , is EvE game for somebody that doesnt pvp ?"
    And you will get at least one answer along the line " Eve is not about pvp , you can play it and never pvp or be player killed"

Well it is true...theoretically...But you will have to stay in the space station and never move. Basically , you can pay for playing and never actually start the game. In fact thats the only way how you can avoid pvp in EvE.

So you see , this is the type of answer smartasses give. Pardon me for being a bit annoyed.

So you are trying to teach me about roleplaying , text games..I am sure you heared there is something like that? When you were 5 years old..right ?

I played text rpgs (they are called MUD or MUSH) roughly from 1989. And now a minted wow player is trying to give me a practicall lesson in roleplay. Again pardon me for being a bit annoyed.

Anyway I dont want to waste my time on people like you. Go and roleplay chess , or Counterstrike , try out your own advice .. it is only fair thing to do.

And next time refrain your self from posting if you dont have anything constructive to say...

which is probably never

• TorotoroTorotoro Member Posts: 84

Why Ryzom is the roleplay mmo ?

Because GM makes at least one roleplay event every 2 weeks.
    Because Players makes roleplay events every days.
    Because RP have a dedicated site in the official Ryzom website : http://chronicles.ryzom.com/?language=en
    Because it's very easy to find a RP guild.
    Because it's very common to find players RPing in local and participate. Often, nobody know each other, but everyone RP together.
    Because a player roleplay event can (at least on Aniro) regroup more than 100 players ("Assembl

Originally posted by Torotoro
    Why Ryzom is the roleplay mmo ?
    Because there is no Elves. It's hard to find an Arratorn, Arathorn, Artatorn...

Because you can play extremist roleplay with relative ease. I play in a big xenophobic Fyros guild against Matis on Aniro and all others guild respect our RP.

Because beeing neutral is more difficult thant choosing a faction.

1. You're forgetting the Matis. All the elf fetishists play them.
    2. Extremism isn't good RP, it's cheap and easy RP.  Shades of grey are more satisfying and while we had that it is being eroded a little.
    3. This is another thing that works against RP, there are some system pressures to pick a side and these do channel you and are a bit unwelcome.

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

Originally posted by GRIMACHU
    2. Extremism isn't good RP, it's cheap and easy RP.  Shades of grey are more satisfying and while we had that it is being eroded a little.
    3. This is another thing that works against RP, there are some system pressures to pick a side and these do channel you and are a bit unwelcome.

Extremism is as good RP as carebear RP. If you read the lore, you will find a LOT of extremism (do you know matis had slaves ?)
    Why do you mean by cheap and easy RP ? There are RP better than others ?
    And RP on a server is really better if you have peoples saying  :
     - "absolutely" or "yes" or "perhaps" or "no" or "never" or "I will kill you"
    than peoples only saying
     - "yes" or "perhaps" or "no"

Originally posted by Torotoro
    Extremism is as good RP as carebear RP. If you read the lore, you will find a LOT of extremism (do you know matis had slaves ?)
    Why do you mean by cheap and easy RP ? There are RP better than others ?
    And RP on a server is really better if you have peoples saying  :
     - "absolutely" or "yes" or "perhaps" or "no" or "never" or "I will kill you"
    than peoples only saying
     - "yes" or "perhaps" or "no"

'Carebear' - ugh...

The lore has been altered from when the game started but there is also far more reason for cooperation than fanatacism.  Yrkanis, for example, owes every other nation for his restoration to the throne and during the diaspora the various people lived together as one in the Prime Roots.  It took all three great powers, Kami, Karavan and Tryton just to hold off the Kitin and preserve a fraction of homin life.  There is The Force of Fraternity, The Old Alliance and many other matters that put the homin together as a whole.

The Matis has slaves under Jinovich, the Zorai had slaves and performed nasty deeds under their goo-infected previous insane leader.  Both practices were ended with the ousting of the old leaders and, in the Tryker's case with wholesale rebellion.

By cheap RP I mean it is very easy to play a moustache twirling villain.  Fanatics are by necessity one-dimensional, there is no real depth to their character, it is roleplaying shorthand and these people should really be the bad guys, I'm not really a fan of players taking the part of villains (unless everyone plays villains).

Its roleplaying yes, but is it accomplished, deep, fulfilling or interesting roleplay? No.

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

Its roleplaying yes, but is it accomplished, deep, fulfilling or interesting roleplay? No.

You should come on Aniro then because our guild is a famous RP guild on Aniro.
    Why are we famous ? Because we are extremists and everyone know us as
    loyal fyros but dangerous peoples when you are Matis. And we have a lot
    of RP events with others guilds (allies or ennemies). Why ? Because we
    are extremists and there are plenty of way to interact with extremists. And extremists have plenty of way to interact with others (deep, fulfilling and interesting ways). You don't know how hard is to counteract all this friendship between Fyros and Matis peoples. You seem to forget that fanatic players not only fight agains their ennemies but try also to gain to their cause moderate peoples and convince them. It's very interesting to play. We play this role since 2 years and it's not boring at all.

We are some on Aniro who plays some toons on Arispotle and I can say you that the lore is not applied in the same manner on those 2 server. Aniro is more relevant to the past than Arispotle. There is a LOT more fanatism on Aniro.
    We even have guilds who play fanatic hominism.
    And I can say you that if Aniro is more relevant to the past than Arispotle, it's because of all the RP we, and some others extremists guilds, have played during those 2 years (Legions Fyros and Cercle de Sokkarie for instance).

You should come on Aniro then because our guild is a famous RP guild on Aniro. Why are we famous ? Because we are extremists and everyone know us as loyal fyros but dangerous peoples when you are Matis. And we have a lot of RP events with others guilds (allies or ennemies). Why ? Because we are extremists and there are plenty of way to interact with extremists. And extremists have plenty of way to interact with others (deep, fulfilling and interesting ways). You don't know how hard is to counteract all this friendship between Fyros and Matis peoples. You seem to forget that fanatic players not only fight agains their ennemies but try also to gain to their cause moderate peoples and convince them. It's very interesting to play. We play this role since 2 years and it's not boring at all.

We are some on Aniro who plays some toons on Arispotle and I can say you that the lore is not applied in the same manner on those 2 server. Aniro is more relevant to the past than Arispotle. There is a LOT more fanatism on Aniro.
    We even have guilds who play fanatic hominism.
    And I can say you that if Aniro is more relevant to the past than Arispotle, it's because of all the RP we, and some others extremists guilds, have played during those 2 years (Legions Fyros and Cercle de Sokkarie for instance).

There are cultural differences in the way different communities approach roleplay. I've noticed this in tabletop, LARP and now MMORPGs.

These are gross generalisations but they do tend to apply.

Americans tend to play for more competetively, even in non-competetive games like RPGs.
    Brits tend to be idiosynchratic, individual, eccentric - want to push the envelope of any given game and take it in different directions.
    French tend to be very traditional, more concentrated upon the official story or keeping canon with what is presented to them.
    Germans tend to go crazy with whatever they're given. way off the deep end and take their own path.
    Scandanavia and the low countries tend to be very laid back and to concentrate on 'story gaming' rather than roleplaying per se.

I find fanaticism shallow and boring and, in the case of Ryzom, illogical. The idea of these two powers being opposed is fine, but the idea that homins would cast aside all their history to go along with it on their say-so, particularly the less faithful and more pragmatic Tryker and Fyros, just doesn't make sense in the context of the background.

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

• limbolimelimbolime Member Posts: 3

You form the story, you have the power to do anything in this game.

• OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378
    Basically there isn't any content in the game... that's why you have to role play and make up the content.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by RobotBushido
    I was digging through the internet and trying to reach out. I was a founding member of HAZE and a DM for Daggerford. If you'd like to reminiscence, you can always ping me on Twitter, @RobotBushido.

HOLY CRAP NECRO THREAD!!!