Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChrisCao proves the Dev's don't listen...

123457»

Comments

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by MX13
    I really dont know much about the history of mmo's as swg was my first, but didnt SOE buy EQ from another company?  

Sort of... the bought the company that developed EQ...

And thats how Smedley became president of SOE. He was part of the package they bought.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by wolfmann

I really dont know much about the history of mmo's as swg was my first, but didnt SOE buy EQ from another company?  

Sort of... the bought the company that developed EQ...

And thats how Smedley became president of SOE. He was part of the package they bought.

Ahh...ok ic now.  

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

so im wondering , how a post by a SOE developer about his current views of the player base is not considered a current thread and got placed into veterans forum?

I mean whats the definition of current here at MMORPG? since even a post made by a current SOE employee  i assume he has access to teh game being he is a developer of it) isnt considered current ,can i get an explaination of what you guys think "current" means?

As for what he said , we( the people who have been around longer than 45 minutes) already knew thats how they thought proof is in actions they just finally put voice to it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Gorair

so im wondering , how a post by a SOE developer about his current views of the player base is not considered a current thread and got placed into veterans forum?
    I mean whats the definition of current here at MMORPG? since even a post made by a current SOE employee  i assume he has access to teh game being he is a developer of it) isnt considered current ,can i get an explaination of what you guys think "current" means?
    As for what he said , we( the people who have been around longer than 45 minutes) already knew thats how they thought proof is in actions they just finally put voice to it.

I started this one here.... was there another that got moved?

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

MMO forums tend to be canaries in coal mines. If they start dropping dead, you may want to check your air supply

Well put. Problem is that $OE poisons the air supply.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

What i think is a very funny thought occured to me today.

IF the Soe devs feel they should discount or ignore the forum posters becuase they (the devs) dont feel the posters represent the larger percentage of their customers,than how do they think about the posters who report bugs ?

Think about that.

Say what ? Maybe 1 percent, if that, actually report a bug ?

Surely that 1% is not an accurate representation of the customer base if 20% is not.

It would really explain ALOT about why confirmed bugs never seem to get fixed .

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631
    lol wtf this is the best thing since "the entertainer got eaten" shit storm. CC is a douche. There's just no other option. I'll bet TH is begging him to never post again. His superior PR skillz might make TH look bad 

Players who post vs Posters who play

rofl he was so proud of that clever little phrase that he just *had* to post. We are definately all impressed. aaahahaa.

For the Horde!

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Hmm, I don't see a single thing wrong with it.

Funny, there are plenty of people here that admit they only play the forum game anymore and barely play the game. Yet when it's pointed out by them instead of the player it's a terrible thing. I like this guy and I hope he keeps talking.

I have no problem with a no bs policy. I have said for years considering the forums as the main voice and opinions of the playerbase is niave, they are only as small fraction of the people actually participating in the game. I am quite sure his statements will get a mile of flames here and me agreeing with it will get just short of that but I really don't care because just about anything anyone says there is going to be twisted into some conspiracy, lie, or attack on the players anyways. I am the one paying and playing.

I agree 100%

That is because you are in the top 3 fanbois on this site.  Sometimes you fanbois remind me of the stories of battered wives we all hear about.  Even though they have been beaten UNJUSTLY to near death they won't press charges or speak out against their husbands.

There are a few of that type left playing Dark & Light right now.  No matter how much they are beaten and betrayed, they still stick with it.

The bottom line is that soe has FAILED in every aspect of their management of this fiasco; development, execution, and customer relations.  Just like in life though.....a dog always returns to its vomit.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Originally posted by LilT
    lol wtf this is the best thing since "the entertainer got eaten" shit storm. CC is a douche. There's just no other option. I'll bet TH is begging him to never post again. His superior PR skillz might make TH look bad 

Players who post vs Posters who play

rofl he was so proud of that clever little phrase that he just *had* to post. We are definately all impressed. aaahahaa.

LOL!  I just spit Pepsi all over my monitor.  You owe me money for a new monitor LilT!!!!

Oh and best post ever!  ;)

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Well said lol, its not to hard to spot the fanboi in the refuge, actually i'm not sure why they bother posting here.  According to Cao players who post are almost nil so shouldn't these diehards be playing their game that they champion.  Seems to me most the fanbois spend most thier time over here trying to start arguments, wait.. isn't that the whole reason the forums were split, to avoid offending the diehards of NGE? 

Yet with the spilt 75 percent of the post are over here and they are certainly not all the ex players posting here either, kinda makes you think.  Actually kinda makes since they have to defend every little thing because they know that the game is a joke now.  Check forums all over the web, check NGE reviews, check the official forums(o wait the nazi mods delete those post).  Those who thinks the game needs to revert or die don't have to get so defensive because we have a general consensus from the world that the game has become a "how to not revamp a MMO". 

In the future professors will teach game theory and point to this fiasco as the don'ts of game design and customer relations and the die hard fanbois will still be defending SOE and NGE with tooth and nail. LOL at least its good for a laugh, I know I get a good chuckle each day as I see this PR nightmare get better and better.

The end is near my friends.....

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Tagurit

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Hmm, I don't see a single thing wrong with it.

Funny, there are plenty of people here that admit they only play the forum game anymore and barely play the game. Yet when it's pointed out by them instead of the player it's a terrible thing. I like this guy and I hope he keeps talking.

I have no problem with a no bs policy. I have said for years considering the forums as the main voice and opinions of the playerbase is niave, they are only as small fraction of the people actually participating in the game. I am quite sure his statements will get a mile of flames here and me agreeing with it will get just short of that but I really don't care because just about anything anyone says there is going to be twisted into some conspiracy, lie, or attack on the players anyways. I am the one paying and playing.

I agree 100%

That is because you are in the top 3 fanbois on this site.  Sometimes you fanbois remind me of the stories of battered wives we all hear about.  Even though they have been beaten UNJUSTLY to near death they won't press charges or speak out against their husbands.

There are a few of that type left playing Dark & Light right now.  No matter how much they are beaten and betrayed, they still stick with it.

The bottom line is that soe has FAILED in every aspect of their management of this fiasco; development, execution, and customer relations.  Just like in life though.....a dog always returns to its vomit.

Really , Thats odd because I play zero SOE games . Yet I am a fanboi ? Some of you crack me up .

The bottom line is it is their forum if they don't want asshats starting shouting matches over every issue . I see nothing wrong with them calling people out on it .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by treysmooth
    Well said lol, its not to hard to spot the fanboi in the refuge, actually i'm not sure why they bother posting here.  According to Cao players who post are almost nil so shouldn't these diehards be playing their game that they champion.  Seems to me most the fanbois spend most thier time over here trying to start arguments, wait.. isn't that the whole reason the forums were split, to avoid offending the diehards of NGE? 

Yet with the spilt 75 percent of the post are over here and they are certainly not all the ex players posting here either, kinda makes you think.  Actually kinda makes since they have to defend every little thing because they know that the game is a joke now.  Check forums all over the web, check NGE reviews, check the official forums(o wait the nazi mods delete those post).  Those who thinks the game needs to revert or die don't have to get so defensive because we have a general consensus from the world that the game has become a "how to not revamp a MMO". 

In the future professors will teach game theory and point to this fiasco as the don'ts of game design and customer relations and the die hard fanbois will still be defending SOE and NGE with tooth and nail. LOL at least its good for a laugh, I know I get a good chuckle each day as I see this PR nightmare get better and better.

The end is near my friends.....

Actaually I am an ex player posting here . Just because I may not see eye to eye with  everything other veterans think , Makes me not an ex-player ? How am I defending anything , Other than my own personal view?  So what if it may be pro SOE or against  , It makes no difference to me  . Yet for some of you  , Anything that dosen't go hand to hand with what you feel , Gets tagged as some fan-boi post .

Yeah NGE sucks , WHo dosen't know that ? Yeah SOE gives a rats ass about anyone here , AGain who dosen't know that ?

Keep calling me a fan-boi if it makes you feel better about yourself , It takes no skin off my back . It actually entertains me to be honest .

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

Wow, you HAVE to read this... even if you're a Fanboi, I bet this will disgust you...
    CLICKY4U
    ChrisCao wrote:

Roughly 80% of the people who play SWG never read these boards.  We know this from our own internal metrics and it poses an interesting question.  Are we talking to people who play the game or posters who play the boards?

For the last several days, Ive been coming back to this and reading it over and over.  There is something about it that simply bugs me.

I remember people opposing the Village openly on the forums.  They said that it would 'cheapen' Jedi.  But they did it anyway.  Next thing you know there are Jedi everywhere. 

I remembe people wanted planetary caps on faction bases.  SoE didnt listen and put them in. Next thing you know, people are dropping bases like they were going out of style.

I remember when the CU came.  People opposed it and begged SoE not to do it.  SoE said it was what we wanted and did it anyway. 

I remember when the NGE was announced.  People opposed it and begged SoE not to do it.  They said it was what we wanted and did it anyway.

These are but a few things.  Now SoE is saying that maybe they were listening to the wrong people.  Well thats all fine and dandy.  But obviously they were not listening to us.  And if they wer not listening to us...then who the hell have they listening to?

• HitokirriBHitokirriB Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Originally posted by Bonzar
    Yeah, I think that Mr. Cao was just trying to say that if you have constructive criticism or feedback, leave it. If you are just on the boards because you're a diehard who won't accept anything but his own way, get the hell out. That's the way it should be. Counter-productive posters bog the process down. I hear a lot of complaining about how the minority (the 1/5th or 20% that a previous poster cited) are the correct portion. Apparently you aren't, because you don't have what you want. 'Sides, why would they implement what only 1/5th of the population wanted? Sounds like American politics to me.
    I'll give you other numbers:

Either

250K - 75K = 175K

or

250K - 140K = 110K

According to the most quoted source for MMORPG Subscriptions (Even Raph Koster mentions this site!), this is what happened because they ignored people like me.  And I really do understand American politics, 60% of eligable voters don't vote most of the time.

Why?

Because no one is worth voting for

If we want to get into numbers , There is one number that matters right now( 7 mil) . WOW is the deciding factor for all SOE's MMO's at present . SWG's small population is due to WOW's huge population as is the case for just about every mmo out right now . Be it for content or quality WOW is where the majority of gamers are. The small number of people who post here or anywhere , Are more or less unimportant to SOE right now .

Those 7 million players are who they are aiming for , Some way some how they want to snag them . SWG is a small part of this as is EQ1/ 2 , Vangaurd , DC so on and so on .. Their focus is to grab those players .

WHat if they succeed ? Do you think their ignorance now will even be talked about . In the mainstream media? If they fail  ,Who will care ? One less studio isn't going to matter .

The problem with your logic is that you think SWG can hit 7 million subscribers. I would like you to do some of your own research. WoW was launched world wide, this being it was launched in North America, South America, Asia, and Europe. Now, Star Wars Galaxies was launched in the United States and Europe ONLY, it was then later decided that it should be released to Japan.

If you think that SOE's target population will really be reached in only 2 countries, you sir, are mistaken. Another major fact and point, is that SWG reaching even 5 million scubscribers is impossible. Why, you ask? This is because Blizzard, the one's who created Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo (all of which were major hits) has a huge name. Blizzard's games were released world-wide. Every gamer out there has either played, or heard of one of these games made by Blizzard. Expecting SOE to make a 5 million mark is foolish in itself.

Originally posted by HitokirriB

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Originally posted by Bonzar
    Yeah, I think that Mr. Cao was just trying to say that if you have constructive criticism or feedback, leave it. If you are just on the boards because you're a diehard who won't accept anything but his own way, get the hell out. That's the way it should be. Counter-productive posters bog the process down. I hear a lot of complaining about how the minority (the 1/5th or 20% that a previous poster cited) are the correct portion. Apparently you aren't, because you don't have what you want. 'Sides, why would they implement what only 1/5th of the population wanted? Sounds like American politics to me.
    I'll give you other numbers:

Either

250K - 75K = 175K

or

250K - 140K = 110K

According to the most quoted source for MMORPG Subscriptions (Even Raph Koster mentions this site!), this is what happened because they ignored people like me.  And I really do understand American politics, 60% of eligable voters don't vote most of the time.

Why?

Because no one is worth voting for

If we want to get into numbers , There is one number that matters right now( 7 mil) . WOW is the deciding factor for all SOE's MMO's at present . SWG's small population is due to WOW's huge population as is the case for just about every mmo out right now . Be it for content or quality WOW is where the majority of gamers are. The small number of people who post here or anywhere , Are more or less unimportant to SOE right now .

Those 7 million players are who they are aiming for , Some way some how they want to snag them . SWG is a small part of this as is EQ1/ 2 , Vangaurd , DC so on and so on .. Their focus is to grab those players .

WHat if they succeed ? Do you think their ignorance now will even be talked about . In the mainstream media? If they fail  ,Who will care ? One less studio isn't going to matter .

The problem with your logic is that you think SWG can hit 7 million subscribers. I would like you to do some of your own research. WoW was launched world wide, this being it was launched in North America, South America, Asia, and Europe. Now, Star Wars Galaxies was launched in the United States and Europe ONLY, it was then later decided that it should be released to Japan.

If you think that SOE's target population will really be reached in only 2 countries, you sir, are mistaken. Another major fact and point, is that SWG reaching even 5 million scubscribers is impossible. Why, you ask? This is because Blizzard, the one's who created Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo (all of which were major hits) has a huge name. Blizzard's games were released world-wide. Every gamer out there has either played, or heard of one of these games made by Blizzard. Expecting SOE to make a 5 million mark is foolish in itself.

HAHAHAHAH , Yeah right .

I think you may be a bit mistaken about my point .I don't think they can reach 7 mil , I don't think they can reach 500k hell even 200k would be reaching . My point was SOE thinks they can .

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

HAHAHAHAH , Yeah right .

I think you may be a bit mistaken about my point .I don't think they can reach 7 mil , I don't think they can reach 500k hell even 200k would be reaching . My point was SOE thinks they can .

Off topic, but on this note I thought I'd add this:

Second Life recently hit #2 of MMO's, but it did something else interesting. It hit 850k active Users. This develpoment has done something VERY interesting: With ONE game Linden has surpassed SOE as the #3 leading MMO company with the 3rd largest number of total subscibers, and by the end of the year it may reach 1 million. It did this with ONE game, Vs SOE's 5 major titles..

Now, some may think this shouldn't be considered in the same market as SWG, but the average SL user spends $18 a month in US dollars to Liden for Virtual Cash. IMO, that's the same as a Sub, or the Premium type system Smed says SOE wants to try. Liden's plans by the end of next year hitting 1.5 million users making it the #2 MMO comapny only behind WoW, and SL currently generates 173 mil in annual revenue.

My only point is this: SOE seems to be the only company that thinks they (SOE) can do ANYTHING right. In 2 years they have gone from the #1 MMO company to the 4th. Considering they have 3 of the largest IP's in gaming (EQ, MxO & SWG) & 5 major titles, that's just amazingly sad...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186

The date of this Devs post was 4 days ago.

As of right now there are ONLY 1421 replies. Using this guys math where the forums reflect only 20% of the playerbase puts the SWG CURRENT playerbase at 28,420. EXACTLY (30K) where I been saying it has been.

As for what he said .. clearly the Devs want you to  comment only in a positive way. NO constructive critisizm is allowed. Pats on the back are cool, telling us you don't like something isn't.

LOL

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by ShadowLords

The date of this Devs post was 4 days ago.
    As of right now there are ONLY 1421 replies. Using this guys math where the forums reflect only 20% of the playerbase puts the SWG CURRENT playerbase at 28,420. EXACTLY (30K) where I been saying it has been.
    As for what he said .. clearly the Devs want you to  comment only in a positive way. NO constructive critisizm is allowed. Pats on the back are cool, telling us you don't like something isn't.
    LOL

I humbly appologize for the fuzzy math. I was in a hurry and miscalculated. I did notice it yesterday but was too busy to log back in and fix my error.

In all accuality using ChrisCao's figures (where only 20% of the playerbase uses the forums), the actual current SWG playerbase can be estimated at:

This is considerably lower than my previous miscalculations. Tho the post was locked after one day, many people had posted several times. Since this was a highly controversal post, I believe that most people that used the Official SWG forums had already posted by the time it was locked. It is possible that current subs "maybe" more than 7105 I feel safe in saying that they probably do not exceed 20K at best.

We should all thank ChrisCao for enlightening us.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

You know this kind of post from an SOE dev demonstrates a very important reality.  This dev obviously does not understand that many of us USED TO BE players who post.  Then our professions were deleted.  (I lost Teras Kasi Master, Master Doc, and Master Brawler all at once).  I had just enough skill points for a triple master and I LOVED my character that I spent nearly 2 years working on.  At the same time, we lost all our progress on the force sensitive and jedi quests.  My guild was dedicated to helping people complete this quest.  At the same time, we then lost most of our guild, and our city became a ghost down.  At the same time our friends who spent the last 2 years taming pets lost access to them.  AND we got a new game system that we don't like and that has 17 PAGES of known issues and bugs (See Senator Badgersmacker's bugs and issues post--I copied this into a word document and it is 17 pages long.)  AND we have been reporting these bugs for 10 months and many of them are STILL there.  AND when we try to tell SOE that we're not happy with what they are doing, our posts are locked, deleted and/or we are banned from the forums.

So in light of all of this, why in the name of anything would I still enjoy being a "player" who posts.  My stuff has been taken away or broken, and my friends have been driven off.  I BECAME a poster who played because I would ask for things to get fixed, and then try the game out to see if they had been.  Obviously this dev doesn't understand the state of affairs that his company has created.  He sees it as players being self-centered and stroking their own egos.  Well now Mr. Chriscao you've taken my stuff, broken the things that remain, driven off my friends AND insulted me, failing to see what your company has done, and blaming my pain on my own selfishness.

You know I gave up playing AND posting because I realized that SOE is run and staffed by people like this dev who are totally clueless when it comes to understanding people, their feelings, and how to be respectful and responsive to a customer base.  They keep breaking things and abusing people who try to bring it to their attention.  Utterly amazing, the blindness over there is so pervasive.

I can't post over there anymore, but if anyone still can, do feel free to copy and paste this onto their boards.  They so badly need to regain touch with reality.

ARC 3