Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security breach

SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

Last night I decided to get back into SL after a period of absence. I discovered that they had a security breach on 6th September. http://secondlife.com/corporate/bulletin.php

As a result, after they stopped it quickly they discovered a chunk of the SL database's payment information and otherwise was exposed during the intrusion. They then invalidated all SL passwords and people had to change their passwords on the SL website.

Because of this,I removed both my credit-card linked accounts and made a new Basic Account w/o payment details. I found all this to be a bit concerning,but perhaps more so for those who have invested something with their CC (I never did,I had my two accounts back before they made the account changes so you didnt need a credit card as info to play for free.).

I do find it annoying that the forums cannot be accessed without having payment details on your account, which I now refuse to give because of said breach. Still,the forums were full of s**t anyway tbh.

So....what are your thoughts of all this? I am personally not particuarly bothered for now,but it removes my confidence in giving out payment details to them again.

Comments

• ChardockedChardocked Member Posts: 13
    Maybe they should find the individua(s) responsible, line them up and allow each member compromised to whip them :)... mmmm that would be fun.

This is why I usually just trust the big boys in the MMO industry to handle my cards. The smaller companies seem to have issues, such as this, or they seem completely indept to be able to cancel after your 30th attempt.

• Firebird1Firebird1 Member Posts: 222
    I was hoping there would be a news article on it.  But it seems that it was lost in the shuffle....

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    that would be a lworry some to know this, cuz you could suddenly have charges on the cc that you didn't do but would know why