Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Up comming Korean MMO's look much better then the western

12346»

Comments

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by qotsa

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Why do people keep spelling 'coming' wrong? It's just one 'm'. Not a flame, just an observance.

Observance? Learn more better english if yousa gonna correct epolpleNot a flame, just an observation.

Make fun happy time, not war.

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by IdesofMarch

Originally posted by itzit

That is true. I don't care where a game is made as long as I find it fun. But since most Asian games are made for the PvPer I probably won't find it fun. As I have stated before in many of my posts, I don't like PVP. I am not good at it so it is not fun.
    A game being fun for me is the number one thing it need.

A great point that people who generally dislike PvP are more likely to dislike Korean MMO's, as that's a bigger focus in many of the titles that get ported over. You have a reason to be hesitant to play them and doubt that you'll have fun playing. You just didn't crap all over the games, so I can respect that point of view.

I love PvP and I have really come to dislike most asian style MMOs. I played Lineage 2 and really enjoyed it...but the grind of the game killed my desired to play it. When I sat back and thought: gee, why does it take me 4 weeks to level when I play every night after work?!

Lineage 2 is still the best Korean MMO I have played and it was still lacking. The open PvP was great, the castle fights were a blast and the graphics still looked better than todays asian MMOs. One big complaint I have with them is the crappy engines they use, for the love of everything good go license an engine instead of using some home-grown POS. Polish is a huge part of a good MMO, a lot of the non-western MMOs really lack it. Of course, the 4 classes is getting more than just a little old with me too...but western MMOs are spamming out as many of those as anyone.

If you like grinding to the tenth power. If you love more open PvP. If the polish of a game isn't important to you. If you have little to no concern for the RP side of an MMO. If you aren't interested in exploring and seeing a new place almost every night. If you are comfortable with Warrior, Mage, Rogue, etc. then I guess most of the Korean MMOs would look pretty good, since many of them include a cool idea (the Archlord, Castle sieges, Player controlled world boss, etc.).

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by qotsa

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Why do people keep spelling 'coming' wrong? It's just one 'm'. Not a flame, just an observance.

Observance? Learn more better english if yousa gonna correct epolpleNot a flame, just an observation.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the word "observance." 
  • viciousexeviciousexe Member Posts: 123
    cmon you guys its common knowledge that korean mmos are almost never creative. The only creative one i know of is Granda Espada or whatever its called. That game looks awesome and its the most creative idea ive ever seen. but usually they have beautiful artwork and thats it. I played archlord beta and considered buying it for that artowork, but it just isnt that much different than l2. And trust me im on foreign webpages all day looking at new games that i cant even read the language for trying to get ahead of the pack. I want the graphics and art of archlord on the ui WoW or CoH/V with the lore and story of WoW or EQ. Aion does look very good, but its not fair to say that the west has nothing but EQ games coming out.

Gods And Heroes (roman mythology)
    Age Of Conan (scandinavian fantsay)
    Fallen Earth (post Apoc)
    Pirates Of The Burning Sea(pirates)
    Tabula Rasa(shooter scifi)

so there is a little bit of a variety there dont you think?

And Asia has some great ones coming as well

Huxley
    9 Dragons
    SUN
    AION

Its good to be a gamer :)

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308

Korean MMORPGs ALL SUCK.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Certainly Korean MMOs look better in the grafix section but in my opinion they have not done something new in gameplay and design. I always Prefer gameplay than grafix unless grafix are to bad to look at.
  • syanmarsyanmar Member Posts: 29

No way! You cant even compare the graphics , the details, and the ideas of western games to koreans.
    1. All korean games look the same.

2.Check the trees in Age of Conan, and check them in Archlord. And that was just the most basic example. Shadows, materials, lighting...etc...

3.Usually no innovation, they got the same cliches ,for example all the korean games i tryed had a barber/stylist
     right next to the starting place...

4.Story? What?

5. Sounds, I never heared so bad effects and NPC greetings like i did in Archlord.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by syanmar

No way! You cant even compare the graphics , the details, and the ideas of western games to koreans.
    1. All korean games look the same.
    Not really. Go check out Lineage 2,Ragnarok Online and Maple Story and then come back here saying they look the same

2.Check the trees in Age of Conan, and check them in Archlord. And that was just the most basic example. Shadows, materials, lighting...etc...
    Yes, lets go compare the graphics of a one year old game with a game that will be out in 2007...

3.Usually no innovation, they got the same cliches ,for example all the korean games i tryed had a barber/stylist
     right next to the starting place...
    Go look up Granado Espada and then tell me they have no innovation. mind you, it was the koreans that came up with side scrollers MMO. it was the korean that came up with turn based MMORPG's. The korean came up with MMO's about every sport you can imagine.

4.Story? What?
    indeed, its lacking. man, could have been a wesern title.

5. Sounds, I never heared so bad effects and NPC greetings like i did in Archlord.
    Check out WoW then. WoW does a lot of things right, but voice overs is not one of them.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    In my mind, I ususally throw Asian MMOs into two visual catagories.  The too cutesy ones where you run about killing jelly beans.  A lot of these seem to be Japanese but there are quite a few that come out of Korea.   Now, I don't generally play these for very long, but when I do, I giggle quite a lot.    Then there are the L2's... the ones with very nice artwork and women who have painfully ginormous boobies.  Most of these seem Korean.  My chest aches just looking at them.  I really doubt that in real life someone with that kind of chesticles could wield a weapon... or even feed themselves.  I'm sure they make a nice place to set your chin if you have to nap standing up, though.

Although I've not found one in recent years that I want to play for any length of time, both sorts have provided me with some entertainment, albeit brief.  Since all of them have been free, at least whle I was fiddling with them, I really can't complain too much.  Some of them, L2 in particular, have some very clever bits. 

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

Originally posted by Ashkent

i can tell you right now that Archlord is a huge steaming pile of crap.
    the korean mmos might look good but they sure as hell don't PLAY good.

I agree with your Archlord comment.
    Maybe Aion will play as well as the videoclip looked.
  • Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668

I kind of agree with you but not much.

I think Granado Espada is the best MMO coming out right now but on the other hand, everything that comes of Koreia is either a Lineage Clone or a Ragnarok Clone. One of the main things that caught my eye about GE was the fact it was from the same guy that made Ragnarok. Rather then waiting for idea theives to grow brains of their own, why not just get innovation from the source? But Aion to me looks like Guild Wars with wings. People on MMMORPG.com will hype anything too, look at D&L.

I'm really interested in TCoS. It's one of Europe's first attempts at an MMO.

Aside from that, WAR is my second best bet for pretty much the same reason as GE. WoW stole so much from WH and their own writers suck. Rather than waiting for idea theives to grow a brain, I think I'll get my innovation from the source.

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087

Up comming Korean MMO's look much better then the western

Of course. They always look better. But they still suck. imageWell, more specifically none of the MMO's coming up really interest me. I hate instancing with a vengeance (I'd much rather suffer rampant kill-stealing than have instancing in a game). Kill-stealing at least makes the environment a little more interesting by introducing player conflict. Anyway, it seems like all of them have instancing to some degree. I mean, look at AC1. It didn't have instancing. It had lag at times, but they dealt with lag in an interesting way - created the concept of portal storming. It was somewhat suspenseful when you were shopping in town or bartering with other players and you saw those purple bubbles surround you and then disappear. Sometimes they wouldn't disappear - they'd snatch you away from a transaction and send you into a pack of monsters. Man, that was a pain... It rocked so much.

Back on topic (heh), Korean games usually lack the content that western MMO's have. Lineage II was fun for its extremely lengthy levels and cool suits of armor (or for women, the lack thereof image). The ability to siege castles was also pretty cool, but I think you had to set up a siege which was lame (should just have implemented an appropriate system which allowed players to attack any time they wanted, yet still have a chance for the defending guild - if offline - to defend itself). Other highlights? PvP. It rocked to have open PvP. Albeit, I was one of those lured into defending myself when attacked by a higher level and therefore the killer went unpunished basically. It still was pretty cool. Their guild system was pretty standard - titles, priveleges, etc. As for the rest of the game, there wasn't much to mention. If a new MMORPG came out in the style of a revised AC1 with better graphics and some new game mechanics (mounts, swimming, etc.), I would argue that it would draw in a large crowd. And I'd also say that the best MMORPGs that have come and gone have been from the West - not the East. That's not nationalism; that's my sincere opinion. image

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I really wouldn't call the content in most western mmo's actual content.  Especially the quests.  I can write a script in about a week to generate 2 billion quests per NPC in WoW with the same generic responses they have.  But would it really be considered content?

I think what really should be targeted by mmo's is other stuff to do which has been done poorly everywhere in the world.  Things such as Crafting, Territory ownership(done moderately well in Eastern Games), Immersive PVP, Player Jobs(Things to do aside from adventuring like being a bartender or singer), housing, boats, Smart NPC AI, mini-games.  These are all things that can be expanded on to make a truly immersive game but really doesn't happen no matter where you are in the world.

• syanmarsyanmar Member Posts: 29

So...

Not really. Go check out Lineage 2,Ragnarok Online and Maple Story and then come back here saying they look the same

yes please, compare 2d fake 3d and 3d games.
    I really liked a post here: 2 type of korean games, cute and big tits, well thats kinda true.
    You know, for many western players all the manga art looks the same. Its just cultural.

Yes, lets go compare the graphics of a one year old game with a game that will be out in 2007...

Your comment makes it look like  there will be 18-24 months difference between the games.
    BUT:  Archlord was just released, and Conan is estimated for Q2 2007 , its max 8 months.
    Not that big time, and i could have say compare those trees and world obstacles to WoW...
    Aion has no estimated release date. It look good I must agree, but I still like the more realistic shaders and lights from Conan or the western comic art from Warhammer.

Sport MMO-s : no comment, like Sport Anime.

Turn based MMORPG, its like making fire with flint and tinder when you already have napalm.
    Though might be interesting , do you know bout any turn based MMO that lets you control whole
    band, squad..etc?  I just got curious:)

And.. I love wow voice overs, always loved them from warcraft1-3, they are one  of the basics of the great atmosphere.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by syanmar
    So... Not really. Go check out Lineage 2,Ragnarok Online and Maple Story and then come back here saying they look the same
    yes please, compare 2d fake 3d and 3d games.
    I really liked a post here: 2 type of korean games, cute and big tits, well thats kinda true.
    You know, for many western players all the manga art looks the same. Its just cultural. Yes, lets go compare the graphics of a one year old game with a game that will be out in 2007...
    Your comment makes it look like  there will be 18-24 months difference between the games.
    BUT:  Archlord was just released, and Conan is estimated for Q2 2007 , its max 8 months.
    No, ArchLord was Recently released in the west, but the game has already been released in Korea for a year.
    Not that big time, and i could have say compare those trees and world obstacles to WoW...
    Aion has no estimated release date. It look good I must agree, but I still like the more realistic shaders and lights from Conan or the western comic art from Warhammer.

Sport MMO-s : no comment, like Sport Anime. Turn based MMORPG, its like making fire with flint and tinder when you already have napalm.
    Though might be interesting , do you know bout any turn based MMO that lets you control whole
    band, squad..etc?  I just got curious:)Hm, well fairy land lets you controll 1 character + 1 pet, thats the most of I know.
    And.. I love wow voice overs, always loved them from warcraft1-3, they are one  of the basics of the great atmosphere.I liked the WC3 voice overs, but the WoW voice overs..not so much.