Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Up comming Korean MMO's look much better then the western

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

Video trailers might look nice but every single Korean mmo has been the same. 0 depth, all grind. I am not saying I am looking forward to VG but Warhammer? Hell yeah.

Every single Koean MMO that came to the west? yes. Every single Korean MMORPG? heck no, far from it,
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by GameloadingWell, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

Video trailers might look nice but every single Korean mmo has been the same. 0 depth, all grind. I am not saying I am looking forward to VG but Warhammer? Hell yeah.

Every single Koean MMO that came to the west? yes. Every single Korean MMORPG? heck no, far from it,

Ok, I have a question. If they "know" what us so called "western gamers" don't like The why do the "eastern" Companys bring over the one's with "depth"?

I'm not flaming, I'm just wondering. Maybe this would stop this dumb East v. West garbage.

Originally posted by Lazzaro

Originally posted by GameloadingWell, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

Ok, I have a question. If they "know" tha some of us so called "western gamers" don't like what "eastern" (korean) gives, us why don't they bring over the ones with "Depth".

I'm not flaming, I'm just wondering. Maybe this would stop this dumb East v. West garbage.

Lets start first that many Korean MMO's such as Lineage 2 and ArchLord DO have a lot of depth, but its just that so little people actually see that depth. most people play Lineage 2 up to level 20~30, Only look at the grind, and then come here telling everyone it sucks and that there is no depth, which is far from the truth. the clan politics in both of these games contain a LOT of depth, and the depth of the raids of Lineage 2 is still unmatched to this day.

I think the word you are looking for is "original". the reason Korean MMO developers don't bring original MMORPG's to the west is because the western audience in general only wants Everquest gameplay, where Korean MMORPG players are much more open for original idea's. its simply too big of a risk.
  • SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

I'm pretty sure that Eastern companies couldn't care less about what Westerners want to play.  It's the Western companies that usually translate a game to English and convert it for Western players, no?

I mean hell, it seems to me that's what some companies (like Codemasters) are pretty much founded on.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Ok, I have a question. If they "know" tha some of us so called "western gamers" don't like what "eastern" (korean) gives, us why don't they bring over the ones with "Depth".

Lets start first that many Korean MMO's such as Lineage 2 and ArchLord DO have a lot of depth, but its just that so little people actually see that depth. most people play Lineage 2 up to level 20~30, Only look at the grind, and then come here telling everyone it sucks and that there is no depth, which is far from the truth. the clan politics in both of these games contain a LOT of depth, and the depth of the raids of Lineage 2 is still unmatched to this day.I think the word you are looking for is "original". the reason Korean MMO developers don't bring original MMORPG's to the west is because the western audience in general only wants Everquest gameplay, where Korean MMORPG players are much more open for original idea's. its simply too big of a risk.

Please tell me some of these "original" idea's.

Lets start first that many Korean MMO's such as Lineage 2 and ArchLord DO have a lot of depth, but its just that so little people actually see that depth. most people play Lineage 2 up to level 20~30, Only look at the grind, and then come here telling everyone it sucks and that there is no depth, which is far from the truth. the clan politics in both of these games contain a LOT of depth, and the depth of the raids of Lineage 2 is still unmatched to this day.I think the word you are looking for is "original". the reason Korean MMO developers don't bring original MMORPG's to the west is because the western audience in general only wants Everquest gameplay, where Korean MMORPG players are much more open for original idea's. its simply too big of a risk.

Please tell me some of these "original" idea's.

MMO's about every sport that you can think of, Turn based final fantasy - style MMORPG's, 2D side scrolling MMORPG's,an MMO where you control 3 characters instead of 1, Graphic style from realism to anime style to cell-shaded. things like that.
    Take a chill pill on the super quotes there.
  • HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

why?

warhammer age of reckoning.

Originally posted by Hohbein

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

why?

warhammer age of reckoning.

and what exactly is so great about Warhammer? from what I have seen (which is limited to the E3 interview), its the same old thing all over again, just heavily based on PVP. can you tell me what else is good about this MMO?

and what exactly is so great about Warhammer? from what I have seen (which is limited to the E3 interview), its the same old thing all over again, just heavily based on PVP. can you tell me what else is good about this MMO?

It generally appeals to those who dislike certain aspects of WoW.  A more mature feel, better PvP, etc.

And since this place is FULL of WoW haters, it's pretty much a godsend.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Well I was going to chime in on this thread, but after reading the post.  Well anyone would see it's pretty much a waste of time.  There are two types of haters here.  The haters that hate just because it's not a western game.  These "haters" have never actually touched a good korean MMO or any korean MMO for that matter.  Yet, they swear that all of them "look the same" and "play the same" without actually having played it.  (See VG fanboy's like AnarchyArt as a prime example).  The other kind of hater is basically someone who's only played translated MMO's like Archlord or RFO.  Yet they to seem to think they have a grasp on the entire sum of korean MMO's ever produced.  It's pretty much a waste of time speaking to either of those parties.  They are content existing with their uninformed opinions.  So all I have to say is more power to them.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by Roin
    Well I was going to chime in on this thread, but after reading the post.  Well anyone would see it's pretty much a waste of time.  There are two types of haters here.  The haters that hate just because it's not a western game.  These "haters" have never actually touched a good korean MMO or any korean MMO for that matter.  Yet, they swear that all of them "look the same" and "play the same" without actually having played it.  (See VG fanboy's like AnarchyArt as a prime example).  The other kind of hater is basically someone who's only played translated MMO's like Archlord or RFO.  Yet they to seem to think they have a grasp on the entire sum of korean MMO's ever produced.  It's pretty much a waste of time speaking to either of those parties.  They are content existing with their uninformed opinions.  So all I have to say is more power to them.

QFT. And....PTKFGS.

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Stir your wheel the way THEY (both sides of culture) desire and when you've finally reached the end of your yardstick (biased standard of measure), take what you will of them and give a rest to this endless pursuit of Leprecon.

Asia has like hundreds of thousands languages at their arsenal, more than enough to confuse all the Brahmins and Thuringian and the rest of the world 7 folds and 3 scores.

Now just because magnate Brahmins decided they need to get out of their mountain districts and communicate in modern phoenician dialect (english), that still doesn't mean they want to replace their Vinaya, Ganesh with Sid Vicious or Teutonic art form ...

Would they?

More often than we might suspect, our belief system, a very demanding one, is closely tight to our state of mind constantly searching for a comfort zone for our mind to settle in.

What I see here is an attempt for settlement which vaste majority of you won't be able to achieve. I know I can't.

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

here, look at the Aion E3 trailer

to me, it looks far more impressive then anything vanguard has shown.

so what do you guys think?

Hmm not really. Warhammer Online and Vanguard looking very interesting if you dont like its Ok but cant agree here Vanguard is just looking awesome and seem to offer alot of content and options.

But to AION yes this game looks great and Iam also waiting for it but there is no real info about this game out yet so we just can look at the videos. From the videos the combat will be action like, i love that looks like alot of fun but we will have to see what content it has to offer, I know about PvPvE sounds cool but there is no info about PvE (i mean like will there be dungeons ? is the game instanced like GW ? are there raids ? and so on) but the game and especially the combat looks awesome and like pure fun, I will try it out for sure. Usual MMO combat feels mostly more like a simulation instead of action and fun, thats why so many ppls love WoW I think.

To Archlord I just have to say crap ... first I tought it could be a nice game too but when i saw an ingame video of someone i just got sick -.- it looks like crap sorry, was really disapointed. Hey but if you like it go for it and have fun I wont bash you for it, its just not for me I guess.

SUN I dont know, I didnt inform me about this yet.

What I like about games like AION is the graphic. Its somehwat a mix of real and cartoonish graphics like Guild Wars for example, there just isnt everywhere this brown and grey it just looks more colorful, friendly and just beautiful.
  • BumLifeBumLife Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Roin

www.cabal.co.kr

that's kinda like AION it's already out.

There's like about a hundred GOOD MMO's in Korea that haven't been released outside of Korea. This is one of them.

TWO WORDS: CULTURE DIFFERENCE

FOR THE MOST PART! MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY SOCIAL and SIMILAR example:  LATIN America/EUROPEAN/ASIAN style will tend to like the "asian" games (I hate putting ethnicity into games). 

WHILE VERY INDEPENDENT individuals will love WoW (just using example). 

Many foreigners have expressed that USA is quite dull and boring, conservative and independent, weekends are weekends and weekdays are weekdays, very repetitive and pattern-like (maybe that's why we hate grinding so much because we do it in RL :D) where as in EURO/Korea/Japan/Asia/LatinAmerica our concept of "weekend" is everday to them.  Face it guys, we're one of the most conservative boring countries in the world T-T althought we've got potential... but because of strictness, laws, and 80%-90% of USA being farmlands... if you don't believe me, travel. Or just compare school environments and what kids do.

oh and be sure to say "USA" not WESTERN because EUROPEANS are alot more open minded than our "WESTERN" meanings ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• ikraikra Member Posts: 339

I think many of you will be glad to hear this:

"According to Yong Taek Bae, Associate Producer for NCsoft Seoul, there
    will be none of the level-grinding which is common in Korean MMOs.
    Although not fully disclosed at this time, the leveling-up system will
    be different from what you would normally expect."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708762p1.html

That is absolutely FUN FARKIN TASTIC!!!! YEAH!!!! it looks good, supposedly no grind, you can fly... YES!!!!

i~ku~ra

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    My favorite parts of that article are:

all player stats and actions will be recorded.
    Using the Crytek Sandbox 1.0 Engine (Far Cry)

I am pretty hopefully about this game.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by solareus

Doesn't anyone learn ??? NcSoft talks a good talk but as you can see with the decay of lineage 2 it isall JUST TALK , you are going to get the same bull crap as with any other ncsoft title , high rate of farming / plvling sales / character online sales ect. Ncsoft thrieves off this and you guys play right into it. They could produce the cd's with gold and it still doesn't make up for the farming that rreaches billions of dollars a year. You don't think ncsoft isnt getting on that action then you are very nieve.

All i can see is a bunch of mmo suckers getting pulled in by one of the slimiest mmo dev corpation in the world. They make what korean mmo gaming is today , total crap !

Actually, NCsoft is doing a great job keeping the CoX games and its other MMO's clean. also, do you think Lineage 2 is the only MMORPG with that problem? go take a look at IGE.

By your statement, we should never play an MMORPG ever again because of bots.
  • BumLifeBumLife Member Posts: 65

Doesn't anyone learn ??? NcSoft talks a good talk but as you can see with the decay of lineage 2 it isall JUST TALK , you are going to get the same bull crap as with any other ncsoft title , high rate of farming / plvling sales / character online sales ect. Ncsoft thrieves off this and you guys play right into it. They could produce the cd's with gold and it still doesn't make up for the farming that rreaches billions of dollars a year. You don't think ncsoft isnt getting on that action then you are very nieve.

All i can see is a bunch of mmo suckers getting pulled in by one of the slimiest mmo dev corpation in the world. They make what korean mmo gaming is today , total crap !

I think solareus needs L2 more than anyone else here or at least needs to travel to the other cultures and see how homogenous and community-like everyone is.

They are a developer/publisher actually. Half of their games are not Korean, and all of their games outside of Lineage 2 don't have much of an issue with bots/selling. Either you were burned by L2 and thus rabidly hate NCSoft without having a look around, or you're just ranting on to keep the discussion going.

• Originally posted by Mylon
    Korean MMORPGs look good.  I won't doubt that.  However, the gameplay in each and every one of them sucks.  Maybe these games could prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is true. I don't care where a game is made as long as I find it fun. But since most Asian games are made for the PvPer I probably won't find it fun. As I have stated before in many of my posts, I don't like PVP. I am not good at it so it is not fun.

A game being fun for me is the number one thing it need.

Originally posted by itzit

That is true. I don't care where a game is made as long as I find it fun. But since most Asian games are made for the PvPer I probably won't find it fun. As I have stated before in many of my posts, I don't like PVP. I am not good at it so it is not fun.
    A game being fun for me is the number one thing it need.

A great point that people who generally dislike PvP are more likely to dislike Korean MMO's, as that's a bigger focus in many of the titles that get ported over. You have a reason to be hesitant to play them and doubt that you'll have fun playing. You just didn't crap all over the games, so I can respect that point of view.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Why do people keep spelling 'coming' wrong? It's just one 'm'. Not a flame, just an observance.

Observance? Learn more better english if yousa gonna correct epolpleNot a flame, just an observation.