Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For you Koster lovers out there...

2»

Comments

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Delzo

Originally posted by Rekrul

I just hope he sticks to his guns, ignores the community cries, and releases it WHEN IT'S READY.

Companies release early because they run out of budget. They aren't idiots, they just have no way to fund the development, other than sell copies of the game.

WoW is a good example of what happens when you release when ready. Servers bust at the seams due to word of mouth.

Running out of funds means your business plan wasn't followed, or it wasn't any good in the first place. Anyone who knows their stuff should know to shoot high when cost planning an MMO.

Which happens very frequently with start-up game studios.  Why, you may ask?  Because they tend to be run by coders and game designers instead of folks who have business experience.  It's the reason why studios with some good game designing talent (Troika, Looking Glass) go out of business or are forced to sell themselves to a larger company (Origin Systems).  I would consider Richard Garriot to be an talented game designer (though to be honest, his approach to game design seems to be, 'That would be fun!  Let's put it in the game!' and 'We need to make sure the game will barely run on top of the line systems!'), but his skills as a businessman were non-existant.  Until his brother quit the company over a dungeon room where you could kill little kids, Origin Systems was making money.  It didn't take long after that for the company to be losing enough money that they needed to sell to EA to remain in business.

I think Mr. Koster would probably do well to hire some experienced folks to handle his company's finaces.  Blizzard was able to perfect WoW because they are sitting on stacks and stacks of Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo money.  A startup company will not be able to do that without investors who are willing to sink unlimited funds into development with a large risk never making that money back (it's not going to happen).

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

WoW is a good example of what happens when you release when ready. Servers bust at the seams due to word of mouth.

Running out of funds means your business plan wasn't followed, or it wasn't any good in the first place. Anyone who knows their stuff should know to shoot high when cost planning an MMO.

Blizzard had a franchise, a product line, employees with years of experience, and one of strongest financial backings in the industry. Putting $60 mil into a product developed by one of most reliable and proven developers was a solid investment. They could afford to do what they did.

This is just like saying that you can build passenger aircraft in your garage, all you need is a solid plan. Maybe so, but why invest into someone with no proven record or experience, when there's Boeing.

It's easy to say release when ready, when in reality most products are released when the deadline is due. How many gaming companies do you know that can sink $60-100 million (today's costs) into development of a new MMO. Games are still made on budgets of hundreds of thousands of dollars and they have hard time breaking even.

And Blizzard didn't innovate. They simply polished up Diablo/EQ hybrid. Their entire content, art and concept was tried and tested. And it still took them this much money to bring everything up to speed.

Yes, there are people who do the math and develop the business plan.
    Then they decide to forget the whole thing once they realize how bleak
    it looks.

There simply aren't many people out there (less than a handful) in game industry, that can get a $50+ million investment approved in advance. Companies like seed or DnL probably got $1-3 mil in advance. And they still had to develop the entire world, gameplay concept, designs, art, .....

After all, it's easy to compete with search engines. People think Google dominates it, but all you need is a good business plan, and soon you'll be number one. Unfortunately, it's not that simple.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    OH MY GOD

Keep in mind this is unfounded rumor but someone told me it's based on SERENITY/FIREFLY.

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• BrentmeisterBrentmeister Member Posts: 79
    Personally I would love to see Raph or Bioware turned loose with SHADOWRUN! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

There's free love on the Freelove Freeway.

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Shayde
    OH MY GOD

Keep in mind this is unfounded rumor but someone told me it's based on SERENITY/FIREFLY.

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

That would be stunnning.  
  • NasedooNasedoo Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Uberman

OH MY GOD

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

That would be stunnning.  

firefly ??? personaly i wouldn't like it... because it has no IP. .needs to be something like star wars or star trek.... or something we all know what it is...

Nasedoo: You said traders would get a revamp under my supervision.

Darth Lord Blixtev: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Originally posted by Nasedoo

OH MY GOD

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

That would be stunnning.  

firefly ??? personaly i wouldn't like it... because it has no IP. .needs to be something like star wars or star trek.... or something we all know what it is...

It's got a lot of IP. And if you haven't noticed, SW and ST already have games licensed to them. :P

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• Opinionated1Opinionated1 Member Posts: 22

Actually, there is one Fantasy license I wouldn't mind seeing Raph tackle. And that is "The Wheel of Time" novel series by Robert Jordan.

There is so much potential for an MMO set in that world. There's politics, factional warfare, magic (sort of, but not exactly), crafting... All the makings for a good virtual community.

Robert Jordan is currently writing "A Memory of Light," the final book in the series, and this would be the perfect time for Raph, or any developer looking to try make an MMO. This is sort of the story where you wouldn't want to have anything definitive before the ending is known, because Jordan likes to throw his readers for a loop just when they think they've figured something out.

If the final destination of the novel series is known, then it would be a matter of deciding on a point in the Wheel of Time... er... timeline to set the game, which in my opinion should be before the events of the first chronological book (New Spring), but not so far before that most of the familiar elements would be in place. This would give the game the breathing room it would need to do almost anything within the scope of the timeline without stepping on Jordan's toes by intruding on the story he will have already told.

I don't know.

Terry Brooks' "Shannara" series would also make for a nice MMO.

the world of George R. R. Martin's "A song of Ice and Fire" would also serve as a nice backdrop, but in order to be true to Martin's works, it would have to have a M Rating due to the decidedly mature subject matter.

But to be honest, I think Raph would do his best with an original IP developed by his studio. That way, he doesn't have to worry about hundreds of thousands of purists who would want to crucify him if he got even the tiniest of details that nobody but a Book or Movie geek (guilty as charged) would notice wrong in an MMO based on whatever they are die-hard fans of. He also would not have to worry about the IP owners saying, "Now, you've got to make sure that this or that is in there," or whatever. The fewer people dictating the terms of his creativity, the better Raph will do.

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    If Raph were to do a fantasy MMO...

I'd want him to do David Eddings Belgariad.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

OH MY GOD

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

OH MY GOD

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

WOW...

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Personally I'd rather see Raph develop something original than go with an existing IP. I'd like to see this for two reasons.

The FIRST is that for a variety of contractual and legalistic reasons (copyright, making elements of the IP available to other authors, etc), decisions made by those running a pre-existing IP about the IP itself, and what elements of it to portray (such as where to run the game relative to the timeline) are always the wrong ones. For example, LOTRO is set in the time of the Fellowship of the Ring, which is exceedingly stupid -- it locks the game into a sequence of events that is immutable (for if they vary from it the very people attracted to it -- lovers of Tolkien -- will scream bloody murder), and therefore prohibits the players from having any sort of actual impact on the game world. SWG made this same exact mistake using the time between the 1st and 2nd films as their period. It was the start and end of huge chunks of their problems. If they had only chosen to go with, say, 25 years post-ROTJ, they would've had a great world with effectively a blank slate, and the massive issues like the number of Jedi openly existing in the world would have gone away. These choices of what elements are allowed into the game, what part of the timeline is used, etc, end up getting made by the guy who gives out the license (e.g. the holders of Tolkien's estate) rather than game designers, which means that they are made by people who don't have the first clue how to run an online game, and as a result, they always end up being bad design decisions -- decisions that the game developers then are constrained to work around. This will continue to be a problem with any game based on a movie or novel IP -- including Serenity, Wheel of Time, Titan AE and any others mentioned here.

The SECOND reason I'd like to see Raph develop something original is because I think he's a smart and creative guy, and he is fundamentally a game designer, not a literature creator. As such, any world he creates would, from the ground up, be purposely designed to be compatible with gaming and specifically MMORPG type gaming. Freed from the constraints of a pre-existing IP, what Raph would be capable (with an appropriate team of assistants and co-designers) of creating just staggers the imagination. And unlike a lot of "just a game" ventures that don't have the weight of an existing IP behind them, this one is done by Raph -- like Bioware, he's got some serious clout and name recognition in the industry, and there are probably hundreds of thousands of players out there who know the name, and would be willing to try it just based on the fact that he (or Bioware) is doing it.

As a result, I am hoping that both Raph and Bioware -- the two names in the game industry I most trust -- will create online games that are original, and do not borrow from existing IPs. Too many "existing IP" games have turned into disasterrs (SWG, DDO, LOTRO clearly will, etc) that I am very gun shy about them at this point.

C

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by Nasedoo

OH MY GOD

/geekgazm

I aim to MISBEHAVE!!!!!

That would be stunnning.  

Do you even understand what IP is?

Regardless, the chances of Raph (or anyone) making a Firefly / Serenity MMO is slim to none, with slim having one foot out the door.  Firefly / Serenity isn't something that is all that well known to the general public, much less attracting very many gamers.

When you talk about IP and how it would apply to an MMO, you have to look at something with a broad scope and appeal.  Firefly / Serenity would be TOO niche.  Could it be done?  Absolutely.  It would be an MMO that is very character driven.  An awesome tagline for it could be "Find a crew, find a ship, find a way to keep in the air".  It has potential, but the risk of failure with the Serenity / Firefly MMO would scare off investors that are going to look at the moneyhat known as WoW and want that sort of return. 

Another way to look at it is by the time a Firefly / Serenity MMO made it to beta stage, approx 3 years from now, it would nearly 2010, approx 5 years since Serenity was released on DVD.  That's a LOOOONG time for something to be out of the collective conscious of ANYONE.

Would I love to see a Firefly / Serenity MMO?  Absolutely.  You have at minimum two factions fighting against each other (Alliance vs Independants, and could have planets at war with each other).  Exploration.  Many different identifiable professions: Smuggler (Malcom), Pilot (Wash), Soldier (Jane, Zoe), Doctor/Medic (Simon), Mechanic (Kaylee)...Any all sorts of spin-offs from "real life":  Tailors (for clothes), Amorsmiths (for body armor), Weaponsmiths (guns), Architects (housing).

It's pretty limitless, and would be a good foundation for Koster's Virtual World obsession.  But the timing of the last Firefly / Serenity movie/show and the beta release, much less public sale is what goes against it.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I'd actually be happier if Raph did something that he had full control over.  If for no other reason if it goes bad you don't have to sit around and ponder if it was him.. or an IP holder.

Besides I'd really like to get the game that is in the vision of his mind.  Rather than what some bean counter chops it up into.

Kinda sick of fantasy of any kind.. in the traditional sense.

Sci-Fi would be ok...

truthfully I'd like to get an MMO in a Fallout/Wasteland... or one of those James Axler book type settings.

I mean post nuclear war or some other oddball thing in alternate future setting.. doesn't have to be based on an existing IP.

If I was going to see a Sci-Fi game I'd like the planetary stuff like we had in SWG.. but I'd like the space part to be more like (ancient) Elite or the Origin System games that the name of eludes me at the moment (not wing commander the ones that were similar to elite).

Piracy and trading between planets ... all that kind of thing.. as well as the ability to adventure on the planets.

The fallout/wasteland type thing I guess just interest me.. because I read a lot of that kind of thing.  Plus in the 1980's wasteland was just the most awesome game in many ways.

I think having the idea of... towns that would be somewhat secure.. with this vast lawless area (the wastes) is a place you could have PvP that actually made sense... I dunno.. but anyway..

Look forward to seeing what Raph makes.. even if its not what I'd hope for.. I'm sure I'll check it out.

I mean I played and liked earth and beyond.. but the lack of planetary exploration really sucked.

Serenity would work, if he had the backing of Joss Whedon. It has the IP and NO limits. Not like trying to shoehorn everything into a restrictive continuity like Trek or Wars.

Hell.. on that vein, why not a Buffy/Angelverse MMO?

But on another note... Another Fine Myth? I can get behind that fantasy-esque setting.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by Ransom73

Just an FYI...
    He has gotten funding, started his own studio, and will be announcing his next project very very soon.
    Stay tuned.

So he is gonna destroy another game ?  Or maybe left it unfinished so that later, he can blame others...

NICE !

eqnext.wikia.com

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Serenity would work, if he had the backing of Joss Whedon. It has the IP and NO limits. Not like trying to shoehorn everything into a restrictive continuity like Trek or Wars.Hell.. on that vein, why not a Buffy/Angelverse MMO?But on another note... Another Fine Myth? I can get behind that fantasy-esque setting.

lol, nice Shayde. My wife would demand that we both play a buffy/angel or firefly MMO if there were such a thing.. and she's not a gamer.

so...

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by matraque

Just an FYI...
    He has gotten funding, started his own studio, and will be announcing his next project very very soon.
    Stay tuned.

So he is gonna destroy another game ?  Or maybe left it unfinished so that later, he can blame others...

NICE !

Do you really think he wanted to release SWG when it was released?  Do you think he wanted to be yanked away from the project to do other things for SOE?  These were not his choices, nor were they his to make.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by matraque

Just an FYI...
    Stay tuned.

NICE !

Exactly how do you define destruction?  There are three "versions" of this MMO -- Launch, CU and NGE -- and Koster was involved in only the first one (Launch).  SOE/Smed/Helios are responsible for each subsequent "version", with subscriptions decline dramatically with each.  To me, the massive loss of subscriptions at each new "version" is the true sign of destruction.

It's beyond me how you can hold SOE totally blameless in this fiasco.