Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online gets Reborn

ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156485.html

Ultima Online gets Reborn
Kingdom Reborn set for release next year on PC; updates classic game with revamped graphics, new content, and retooled user interface.
By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted Aug 24, 2006 3:06 pm PT

One of the games that got the massively multiplayer online role-playing genre off the ground was Ultima Online, released in 1997. Astonishingly, the game is still running and has stayed fresh with seven expansion packs and multiple content upgrades.

The PC game will be getting another expansion sometime in 2007, but instead of simply including new monsters to trounce and treasure to grab, the add-on will deliver a complete face-lift to the game. Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn includes a new graphics engine and a revamped user interface, as well as a chunk of new content.

EA Mythic (formerly Mythic Entertainment) has been hard at work redrawing more than 9,000 pieces of art to get the game's look up to date and competitive with current massively multiplayer online role-playing games, like World of Warcraft. The entire landscape of the game--which EA claims consists of more than 14 million tiles--is being rebuilt as part of the upgrade. EA says the update will not interfere with the gameplay of current Ultima Online users.

EA did not reveal the list of content upgrades, but it did mention that a new playable race would be included. Further details are expected to come later this year.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Everyone was dieing to know what Mythic was going to do with UO and now silence once they find out what it is? :P

However this sounds like yet another cheesy new 3d rehash again.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• elphabaelphaba Member Posts: 3
    Well I havent played in years but I will definatlely re sub when this comes out.Im excited about it.Prolly atleast a year away though
  • Ra'veRa've Member Posts: 203
    I cant comit until i know they are moving away from the current UO gameplay.

• ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491

Well I love the gameplay now just as I have done 7 years ago when I started. But yes, there will be some gameplay changes:

2. Are any changes to existing content (aside from the graphics) coming with or before the new client? Things such as adjusting the spawns and rewards in the old dungeons?Darkscribe: Between now and the launch of Kingdom Reborn, we are going to focus on live event content, similar to what we've been doing with the Inu storyline and the Ophidian Invasion. We want to keep changing things up and offering new kinds of challenges, and that might include altering some of the existing content. I can't be more specific than that at the moment.

But tbh, I would carry on UO even if they would not change a thing, that said, I love the new changes that are coming as well, lol

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

• TheAnomalyTheAnomaly Member Posts: 42
    Well, if they manage to reestablish the absolutely awesome gameplay they once had then a 3d might be good. I'd rather they focus on improving the current game instead of just remaking it though.

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

They'll just throw a coat of varnish on and say it's upgraded. Don't count on an actual up-to-date 3d engine. It says in the article that there are alot of tiles. If they are worried about the tiles, they are not remaking it, just putting more crap on top::::07::

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

It honestly looks like they just added new textures and the like to it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case and it's the same engine. Which most likely means the same horrible (which it has been refered to) coding is still under the hood which is the main cause of the problems.

• tookmaster1tookmaster1 Member Posts: 14
    Good to see one of the best mmos of all time get another face lift :)

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Facelift will do no good, only update to get me play again would be bringing back the old ruleset, classic UO. Playing the game now, while remembring how it once was is just depressing.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Will see, the graphics overhaul is needed.
    But without a game overhaul it will be worthless for many.

The economy is crap at the moment and duping sort of rampant.
    In a game where people have 1-50 million on average and then EA removes 15 trillion! gold from 180 accounts, states a lot how screwed up it is.

They should go for a reverting overhaul of what they did with AOS and remove the unwanted features of it and get skills and crafting back and not itemisation, which games like wow and eq/eq2 do a lot better.

• spexzspexz Member Posts: 28

I Agree with Obii..

They have alot of problems in the game, think they sould solve it before remaking the texture in game..

If u would start now wiht a new account u wouldnt even have a chance to buy anything becouse of the prices.. I think its one of thier biggest problems atm.. Im still Playing from time to time and its sad to see when people standing in Brit and selling small houses for millions...

And i agree to everyone else that think they should go back more for the Pre UOR.. Concentrate on the player skill and not the items as it turned up now.. it doesnt matter of good player u are in skill anymore.. A player with the good items will winn a Duel 9 of 10 times..

Well hopefully the know these problems and will fix as much as possible till the upgrade..

Im alittle exited to see how they gonna solve everything..

Over and out

Spexz

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    so its a classic pre-trammie UO with 3d graphics... Im in!!!

roflmao!!!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I would be tempted to take a stroll through my old home town of Trinsic.   

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215

Originally posted by busdriver
    Facelift will do no good, only update to get me play again would be bringing back the old ruleset, classic UO. Playing the game now, while remembring how it once was is just depressing.

word to this!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again