Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So long traders

HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649
These two posts by Helios makes me sure that crafters wont see a publish at all.
Helios still hates crafters and all equipment will be looted. Becouse crafted items wont be worth a damn. The last one by Helios is bullcrap, wtf they wont be in competition with eachother? So what are the ws gonna make? slingshots? Tailors are gonna make burlap cloting for the newbs?
Jeez this guy is just not online with the crafting community.

Phaelyn wrote:

It's a very simple change, Helios.

Make Crafted items better than loot, and Combat players will want those items. You don't need to make it an RE system, or anything extreme. Just make Crafting viable for us, and our items viable for them.

Win - Win scenario.

That's probably exactly what we're not going to do, because it's not a Win-Win scenario.   It makes loot drops (what combat professions work for) worthless.  Everyone wants the best of everything.  If my loot drops are automatically outclassed by something crafted, I won't bother with loot drops any more.

-The Dark Lord Helios
-Lead Designer, SWG
"There is no reality in the absence of observation."

No, I'm saying that loot will probably be seperate or in complement of crafted stuff.  The two will likely not be in competition with one another.  I.e the new craftables may likely be different items (discounting the existing craftables).

-The Dark Lord Helios
-Lead Designer, SWG
"There is no reality in the absence of observation."

Hauken Stormchaser
I want pre-CU back
Station.com : We got your game
Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

Comments

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187

Having to camp Acklay to get some bones seemed to work.  Krayt tissues, geno cubes, all that jazz, it was a good system.  You got 'phat lootz', and crafters were involved in making those top shelf items as well.

I guess interacting with others and having to wait a day to get your phat lootz turned into a phat weapon isn't ADD, I mean star-warsy and iconic enough.

He's still a tool and a moron, and no amount of him passing the buck off onto LA or his bosses will ever convince me otherwise.  Why would a talented smart man want to be the captain of a sinking ship of fools if he could be on another team elsewhere?  Maybe pride, that's all I can guess; but the longer he stays at SWG the less likely it is he can get another lead dev job until DnL starts hiring...

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Player economy = all crafted
    NPC economy = all bought/exchanged
    Hybrid economy = equipment NPC, consumables crafted

That's about the only thing that can work.

Consumables in SWG are completely worthless, with obvious exception of spice. Which, unless something changed, can no longer be crafted. If they can now be crafted, then they are worthless as well. Equipment in SWG is loot based. Ability to get modded clothing will give you much more benefit than 0.2% armor difference you'd get from having custom crafted armor. Looted weapons have always been superior (legendary, dotted)

The reason why no decay aproach works in other games, is due to strict leveling process. As you level up, you outgrow your current gear and need to replace it. This works up until level cap, when instanced/rare/quest items come into play. The fact that this aproach has many problems is clearly demonstrated by twink builds. The purpose there is no longer to reach level cap to ensure superiority, but to constrain yourself and work towards gear. Twink gear in any game has extremly high prices, in many cases higher than most end-game items.

Twinking is just a solution to hardcore players that wish a challenge. They could level up much easier and gain natural superiority, but end game gets really old really fast since you know there's nothing after that.

In SWG, leveling is mostly harmless. It doesn't affect gear, it doesn't affect difficulty and provides no real sense of achievement. As such, the natural cycle of gear upgrades is pointless. You get the highest gear, since the engine now makes sure, it doesn't make any difference. In any other game, getting a weapon with +5% more damage will make a difference between completing a dungeon or dying. In SWG, engine does the hardest it can to ensure this doesn't happen. Same with stats. While stat boosts are plentiful, they make no impact whatsoever. Players with +0 and +50 stamina will be able to finish the same content. The only variable is, whether they'll properly agro 1 mob or 17, due to a broken spawn.

SWG was never designed as a level based game, and this is its ultimate demise. Concepts which work flawlesly (although within their limitations) in other games cannot work in SWG. Crafting/decay is one such issue. There's more, of course. Assume rewarding loot is put into game. If the mobs are made too tough, there will be an uproar over how nobody can loot them. Remember the DJK/DJM whines?

But above all, consistency. Any other game offers consistency. High-levels = good loot, low levels = plentiful loot. The value of loot is consistent with your level. At level 38 you get loot 35-41. In SWG, most loot consists of completely random drops. CDEFs, junk, junk, junk, a perfect modded level 16 shirt, junk, junk, junk. This, for any practical purpose, is completely broken.

The harvesting and loot component aproach offered a reasonable alternative, although it was always poorly implemented. But at least it was consistent.

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

Tell you what, why don't they just do away with crafting altogether and introduce a new 'Enchanting' skill....

They could bring in alchemy for buffs too.....damn them

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Rekrul

True, I'd add that if they do something like that, look for everyone to get one vendor and Trading & Ent to become secondary Professions as well. Also, expect NPV Vendors selling wares = to 80% of what can be crafted to be placed in cities & SP's.

If they were smart they replace them with the Ranger (Ranger / CH abilities) & Sentinal (Melee focused) Professions. If they did, folks would come take a peek...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by MX13

If they did, folks would come take a peek...

And point and laugh presumably? Seriously though, CH was by far the profession I enjoyed the most (just above master architect) , but there's not a chance that I would sign up for NGE even if they bring it in....the rest of the game would still be far too shoddy.

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

There's one more. The Saga of Ryzom does it. All items are crafted, but about half of all crafting materials must be looted. So you kill a big nasty thing and it drops "supreme hides", which a master crafter can turn into a "supreme armored vest" or something. There are harvestable (diggable) alternatives to each type of crafting component, but they do not always give the same stats. For instance, it might be hard or impossible to dig jewel components that give fire resistance out of the ground, but it might be easy to "quarter" them off of enemy mobs.

This makes the crafters need the looters, and the looters need the crafters, and in fact it works amazingly well, at least in Ryzom.

C