Sony's luck seems to be spiraling down the drain.
Recently, several major tech publications reported that the PS3 has major technical flaws. It seems that durring the Tokyo Game Show the PS3's that were available to play had to be repeatedly reset due to lockups & crashes. Sony blamed this on the heat of the show, however one writer noted the enclosures for the PS3's was cooled & no other hardware manufacturers seemed to have similar issues.
This occurs only about 30 days before the consoles launch. One writer reported that one Sony PS3 Rep at the show hinted the Console Launch may be delayed passed the new year due to technical issues.
Add to these major woes:
- SWG's continued bad press, and SOE's drop to the 3rd largest MMO maker, even though it offers almost over double the games as the #2 (NC Soft).
- A resulting stock drop of about 3% due to PS3 issues.
- 278 million dollar profit last year erased (and then some) by 270 million dollars of Taxes owed, 7 million batteries recalled (estimated at 180 mil+, plus litigation) & an estimated loss of about 70 million dollars annually due to the SWG NGE.
- The slow sales & high costs of the launch of Blue-Ray, and the comparitive success of HD DVD over it so far.
- Sony said last month it was delaying the Japanese release of its new digital Walkman by a week because of a malfunction of an unspecified part. Rumors are flying around that it's a bigger issue than that.
- Huge drops in Sony Flat Pannel / Plasma sales this year, due to competitive pricing in a diverse market.
- A total share drop of about 25% over the last 6 months, with SWG being listed by some analysts as a loss-leader concern.
- EDIT: This morning, it was annouced that another 1.2 million battieries will be recalled by another 3 manufacturers. Sony is also facing pressure to recall all betteries of that type, even if laptop makers do not.
The Question: What, if anything, will this mean to SWG? Will pressure be put on Smed to improve profits, and if so, would they consider / push for classic servers?
I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!
In fact, forget the SWG!!!!