Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzoom Ring - any feedbacks so far ?

RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Just wondering. How is it working out? Any impressions ?

There is no NDA on it right?

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Comments

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

No comments ? Thats sad ... so many Ryzom fanatics , and no word about ring.

Sounds bad

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509
    Maybe they're busy having fun? I have 3 good friends who play ryzom and havn't heard from them in a couple of days, could be a good sign really.
  • frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

No NDA and free trial players can play with the editor (but not enter other's scenarios). Try it out for yourself.

• marctmarct Member Posts: 75

It is really quite good.  From the ability to just do the simple drop animals and NPCs in, to the more complex scripting based on events, actions, missions, deaths, etc.  My problem is everytime I go in and work on my scenario I get some new ideas and it becomes more and more complex. 

I have really enjoyd it so far.  It could use a few things I am sure, but all in all it is amazing, and limited only by the imagination of the creator really.  The diversity in created content so far is astounding.

Yes the silence can be a good thing.

More posts means bad game and people are bitchin or hyping. Less posts means people are buisy playing.

But still i am very curious. Ring is the most revolutionary new direction in MMOs in looong time. Now it is live and people are trying it... I just wonder why noone is sharing the impressions?

Did you already played some quests? How does it work? What do you think about the ring now that it is live...etc...

Just curious as many others surely

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by Rattrap

More posts means bad game and people are bitchin or hyping. Less posts means people are buisy playing.

But still i am very curious. Ring is the most revolutionary new direction in MMOs in looong time. Now it is live and people are trying it... I just wonder why noone is sharing the impressions?

Did you already played some quests? How does it work? What do you think about the ring now that it is live...etc...

Completely agree with that and I direly (spelling?) hope it works out well for Nevrax, you kinda get the feeling lots of hopes are depending on this one to fly well. As it should IMO, it's not exactly a "new" idea in the broad sense of the word but it's pretty gutsy and absolutely no developer out there is willing to take a chance like this, at least none that I can see.

I too would love to see some feeback from anyone in the fray with Ring, please let us know the scoop, good or bad.

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

We have been building! I just about finished my first scenrio and I am really happy with what you can do with it. You really have the ability to design your own areas and missions/stories.

My suggestion to you is to download the trial. You can play with the editor (you just can't test or play your scenario). It will give you a clear idea what it's like.

If you have specific questions I can try to answer them.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

I have not really been using it. The main reason is, I am working on a play-by-email Champions campaign and I am putting my creative energy into that.

The guild-mates I have who are using it, are having a blast from what I can tell. I'm going to see if I can organize a "ring night" when a handful are done, and we can go through the scenarios one by one.

From what I have seen, in just a half hour messing around, it's quite nice. Interface is pretty intuitive, and they let you have lots of control over basic things like NPC appearance. I have no clue about building complex stories though -- I have not tried it yet.

C

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The ryzom ring works extremely well and is tons of fun.

Ive never once in my life used any sort of toolset for any game, and yet ive created a 4 act scenario for my guild, and they loved it.

You can create really impressive scenarios, mine i gave alot more freedom letting people choose whatquest they wanted to do, you can have thigns from assaults on a bandit camp or w/e to kitins invading a town, its really awesome if you have a good imagination and know how to put it to work.

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528
    it isn't fully out until the 3rd.
    I'm reserving full judgement until then but it is very easy to use (I can't script/program to save my life and I manage) and they're already adding things like triggers based on player feedback.

So it's looking pretty good but I'm not serving judgement until after the full roll-out.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    I think a tool set like ryzom ring but for eve would be boss. Something eve lacks is pve content and with its dedicated and hardcore fans and playerbase a mission / complex / encounter building toolset would be the cats ass.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

Sounds awsome , if it is going to be any near the NWN DM/building tools it will do wonders in good roleplaying community!

Two questions

1. Is there ability to be a DM like in NWN ( posses creatures and NPCs , real time paste encounters etc)

2. Is there a way to make complex scenarios , with triggered events - and NPC dialogues ? Or just paste encounters ?

And yes i will defenetly redownload the trial and try the thing for myself - I however am waiting for NWN2 so i wont sub ... at least not for now

Sounds awsome , if it is going to be any near the NWN DM/building tools it will do wonders in good roleplaying community!

Two questions

1. Is there ability to be a DM like in NWN ( posses creatures and NPCs , real time paste encounters etc)

2. Is there a way to make complex scenarios , with triggered events - and NPC dialogues ? Or just paste encounters ?

And yes i will defenetly redownload the trial and try the thing for myself - I however am waiting for NWN2 so i wont sub ... at least not for now

1. Yes you can DM with posession etc, but you can't past encounters in 'live'.  You would have to preset them on triggers.

2. Yes. :)

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    I have used the Ring for a while now, and I love it.  I don't get as much time on it as I like atm due to IRL constraints, but what time I do get I really enjoy.

Once you have a grip on the basics, you really come to understand what power the Ring has.  Its not even at full launch yet, but they already gave it a bumper patch yesterday with loads of new features/mission types etc.  You can really see that Nevrax have put a lot of effort into the Ring, and its paid off.

I recommend everyone give it a try, it is well worth it :)

*hugs*

-Kibs

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

Wow , just wow

If you can DM , and make complex scenarios... just wow!

It is like the high days of NWN all back again in a nice MMORPG enviroment.

Way to go Ryzom

I am seriously considering subbing , because i am huge fan of PnP. And Ryzom seems to be getting close to this ,
    of corse NWN2 is at the door ,

I still remember that in NWN in its high days , people were running PnP campains on their modules.
    You didnt need any complex knowledge of scripting , because you were DM and actively did AI of NPCs and enemies.

This was the first and only time that computer game experience came anywhere close to PnP ,
    and in my oppinion surpassed it - because DMing was way more active and streamlined and playing was a blast.

So now we are going to have two such games !

Wow

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Wow , just wow

If you can DM , and make complex scenarios... just wow!

It is like the high days of NWN all back again in a nice MMORPG enviroment.

Way to go Ryzom

I am seriously considering subbing , because i am huge fan of PnP. And Ryzom seems to be getting close to this ,
    of corse NWN2 is at the door ,

I still remember that in NWN in its high days , people were running PnP campains on their modules.
    You didnt need any complex knowledge of scripting , because you were DM and actively did AI of NPCs and enemies.

This was the first and only time that computer game experience came anywhere close to PnP ,
    and in my oppinion surpassed it - because DMing was way more active and streamlined and playing was a blast.

So now we are going to have two such games !

Wow

What is keeping you off from dowloading the trial then?

Ryzom Ring isn't the only thing that's awesome about the game..
  • nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    Well tried the ring, it straight of shocked me as you actually do the editing ingame. Looked okay though seemed a bit limited with the terrain options. Also it works via what I guess would be called 'templates' of a lot of standard mmorpg type activities.  So a lot simpler than most editors but still pretty good. 

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by nomadian
    Well tried the ring, it straight of shocked me as you actually do the editing ingame. Looked okay though seemed a bit limited with the terrain options. Also it works via what I guess would be called 'templates' of a lot of standard mmorpg type activities.  So a lot simpler than most editors but still pretty good. 

It does only offer preset maps but that's not as limiting as one might think. First off you get more maps the more you explore the regular game. Secondly you can add items to the map to make them more usable. For example in one of my scenarios I used trees and bamboo to block off areas I didn't want the player to go to. In another one I used the some fog to create a haunted forest type atmosphere.

As for it being simple, yes that is true to some extent. Don't let the simplicity fool you though, there is a lot of power behind the nice interface. You can actually create missions (hunt the mob, find the item, bring the item to me, and so on). You can create boss spawns and npc dialog.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    Ah right. Should be interesting to try some of the player-made ones.

Got the trial , tried the editor

Not impressed

There are just few preset maps you can use.

4 quest types - find object, find npc, kill mob, deliver object

You can not create Inside areas, nor dungeons.

You can not create dialogues

Just cookie cutter clasic MMO quests.

I am sure people will find ways to make best out of it. But it is way way way under flexibility or power of NWN editor.

Got the trial , tried the editor
    Not impressed
    There are just few preset maps you can use.
    4 quest types - find object, find npc, kill mob, deliver object
    You can not create Inside areas, nor dungeons.
    You can not create dialogues

Just cookie cutter clasic MMO quests.

I am sure people will find ways to make best out of it. But it is way way way under flexibility or power of NWN editor.

And that's what makes it useable.
    In order to unlock all the R2 content you have to explore in the 'real world'.  This gives you further creatures etc.
    More options and additions are in the works and the process seems to be swifter than previous, we got additions based on player demands during the demo.

No, you cannot currently create indoor areas but you can create dungeon-likes using the maps that are canyons and chambers.  Dungeons aren't appropriate for Atys in any case.

You CAN create dialogues, what you can't do - at the moment - is create conversation trees with different responses leading to different sections.

As with NWN you can do a hell of a lot more if you host it and actively GM it.

It isn't as flexible or as powerful as the NWN editor, but unlike the NWN editor it is user friendly and simple to use.  Being able to accomplish something is better than getting bogged down and unable to do anything.

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    As has been said in the official forums also (don't have the link) this editor is also going to be used by the devs to actually create content that they originally intended to put in at the beginning because it is alot easier to manage, can be done inside the client while the game is live, and generally makes their job easier. The ring is actually a paired-down version of the devs own custom tools. Don't be surprised if alot of new "official" content starts finding its way live very soon.

Originally posted by GRIMACHU

And that's what makes it useable.
    In order to unlock all the R2 content you have to explore in the 'real world'.  This gives you further creatures etc.
    More options and additions are in the works and the process seems to be swifter than previous, we got additions based on player demands during the demo.

No, you cannot currently create indoor areas but you can create dungeon-likes using the maps that are canyons and chambers.  Dungeons aren't appropriate for Atys in any case.

You CAN create dialogues, what you can't do - at the moment - is create conversation trees with different responses leading to different sections.

As with NWN you can do a hell of a lot more if you host it and actively GM it.

It isn't as flexible or as powerful as the NWN editor, but unlike the NWN editor it is user friendly and simple to use.  Being able to accomplish something is better than getting bogged down and unable to do anything.

I dont know if "unlocking" the content is a very good idea.

All this unlocking buisness is coming from console world and is hardly fitting to PC. Also why should adventure maker be forced to unlock things ? He is spending his time building , not "grinding" to get new area maps to be able to build. It is like in R2 developers mind building is kind of reward for a player ?

Not being able to build your map is a major downside in my oppinion.

Still , as i said - in right hands any editor can make wonders

I dont know if "unlocking" the content is a very good idea.
    All this unlocking buisness is coming from console world and is hardly fitting to PC. Also why should adventure maker be forced to unlock things ? He is spending his time building , not "grinding" to get new area maps to be able to build. It is like in R2 developers mind building is kind of reward for a player ?
    Not being able to build your map is a major downside in my oppinion.
    Still , as i said - in right hands any editor can make wonders

My reaction to the idea was mixed, but I can see the point.
    What's the point of exploring the real world if you can see everything straight away in an editor?
    Wouldn't some people vanish into the editor and not be a part of the actual world at all?
    The Ring scenarios are, I think, meant to be an adjunct, not a replacement, so it makes some sense.

Postmortem Studios
    Shop here

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

I agree with both Grim on the unlocking thing. It is a game based on exploration and if you "give away" too much from the start, the desire to play the real game will suffer. It isn't NWN where the builder creates his own universe, you are still part of the big world.

The editor is "ok", but lacks some things to make it flexible. It is currently very "user-friendly" which is good and bad, it is possible to make things out of the ordinary - but you need to find workarounds for it. It is fun too, to play with the editor and finding solutions and chatting in guildchat.

I tried the NWN 2 preorder toolset briefly the other day, the two products have VERY different approach. But both will result in great adventures I'm sure.