Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mouse Movement

TruXurTTruXurT Member UncommonPosts: 18

Call me lazy, but I really like point and click movement. Nothing against WASD or arrows being available as well, but I really like to play with clicking only. It's kind of make or break for me in MMORPGs... I liked movement in SWG, Lineage 2, Guildwars... Is there going to be point and click movement and pathfinding in LOTRO?

Thank you for your replies.

T.

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Probably not seeing as there was no point and click movement in AC2 or DDO. I think you are in a minority.

• TruXurTTruXurT Member UncommonPosts: 18
    That would be unfortunate. Minority or not, there is nothing wrong with having is as option is there? Movement was one of the resons I never went beyond trial in DDO... Oh well if that is a case... there are other games out there...

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

tbh - i never thought any1 actually like the point and click - I try to
    run as fast as I can from games with point and click... however I see no
    "downside" and enabling the 2 ways (point & click and wasd
    movement).

sunflame.

• xIMPxxIMPx Member Posts: 191
    Death to point and click.  Only korean games should have it.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    I prefer click movement myself. However, it only works if you have decent "movement AI" so the character will properly track to the location around obstacles. COH has "click movement" mode as an option, but it does NOT have movement AI so your character will get stuck on the geometry, forcing you to click in tiny increments, and thus making click movement worthless even for those of us who like it.

I don't really need click movement so much as preferring that if my avatar is not in range to execute an attack I just ordered him to make, such as "Galrath Slash" in GW, he moves into position to make the attack. NWN had this, GW has this... I wish all games had it. There's nothing more annoying than, because of camera angle, thinking you are in position to take a swing, and hearing an error "thunk" noise and seeing "Target out of range" (or whatever).

But again, the movement AI has to be smart and functional, like NWN's was... or else this doesn't work.

C

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by xIMPx
    Death to point and click.  Only korean games should have it.

<--- agrees  

• acidleakacidleak Member Posts: 33
    point and click kills mice, especially in intense PvP

i killed 2 mice on diablo2 alone, i hate point click.... but i agree its always nice to include options.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I hope they dont do point and click...just tryed the Archlord beta and the point and click was a major reason to not log back on.

Originally posted by Keushpuppy
    I hope they dont do point and click...just tryed the Archlord beta and the point and click was a major reason to not log back on.

I dont think they will.... I think they will use the same system as in DDO (wasd) - which is one of the best ive seen in mmorpg (to my opinion).

sunflame.

Originally posted by sunflame

I dont think they will.... I think they will use the same system as in DDO (wasd) - which is one of the best ive seen in mmorpg (to my opinion).

sunflame.

Well if they do DDO model than I will have to play something else.

The best movement model that I ever saw (and that goes for the whole GUI) is Guild Wars. You can completely customize the way you move, you can assign actions to any key and on the fly use different options to move. You can move by keyobard only, with strafing etc, you can go with keyboard and mouse steering and you can move by point and click. The most annoying thing I find in some MMO's is when I stand a few steps from the monster/NPC I target it to attack or interact with them and than instead of my character going there i am just getting a message that "I'm not in range to perform this action". It drives me nuts.

I undestand that many people are used to WASD or other keyboard controls and I don't propose it being replaced by mouse only interface. What I would hope for is some advanced user interface (again Guild Wars is the best one out there imho) that allows you to customize how you move and depending on situation use mouse, keyboard or a combo.

Watching the gameplay movies it's obvious they are usiing WASD keys to move, with camera fixed behind you and they use mouse to trigger spells and skills. So all of you mouse movement haters can sleep well...

Originally posted by TruXurT

sunflame.

Well if they do DDO model than I will have to play something else.

The best movement model that I ever saw (and that goes for the whole GUI) is Guild Wars. You can completely customize the way you move, you can assign actions to any key and on the fly use different options to move. You can move by keyobard only, with strafing etc, you can go with keyboard and mouse steering and you can move by point and click. The most annoying thing I find in some MMO's is when I stand a few steps from the monster/NPC I target it to attack or interact with them and than instead of my character going there i am just getting a message that "I'm not in range to perform this action". It drives me nuts.

I undestand that many people are used to WASD or other keyboard controls and I don't propose it being replaced by mouse only interface. What I would hope for is some advanced user interface (again Guild Wars is the best one out there imho) that allows you to customize how you move and depending on situation use mouse, keyboard or a combo.

Watching the gameplay movies it's obvious they are usiing WASD keys to move, with camera fixed behind you and they use mouse to trigger spells and skills. So all of you mouse movement haters can sleep well...

Yeah... i have to agree with u - GW has a great movement model (though ill be fine with almost any "Version" of wasd movement - as long as its not point and click - im happy).

Yeah... i have to agree with u - GW has a great movement model (though ill be fine with almost any "Version" of wasd movement - as long as its not point and click - im happy).

Heh, It's funny what you said, couse GW can be played entirely as point and click... But again the greatness of that interface is its flexibility. I really hope Turbine will find a way to satisfy various playstyles and support both keyboard and mouse movement.

Originally posted by TruXurT

Heh, It's funny what you said, couse GW can be played entirely as point and click... But again the greatness of that interface is its flexibility. I really hope Turbine will find a way to satisfy various playstyles and support both keyboard and mouse movement.

I was talking about the "wasd" option and not the point and click - however in my previous post i did say that enabling both options will be the best solotion.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Its really wierd how something like "point and click" movement stirs up all the anti-korean game people. Its a movement methd. Thats it. Even WoW frickin has it. Nothing right or wrong about it. Persoanlly I find its 100% easier to use then WASD keys. Its a much smoother and controllable way to move around rather then mashing a bunch of buttoms. Its so easy to do my 5 year old can use it.  

My little brain is able to wrap itself around the idea that there might be more then one way of doing things. I guess there many with tinier brians then my own that are not capible of this.

• jaredhdjaredhd Member Posts: 2

I've heard there is no point and click, but there is the lazy man's two button running mode....