Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, for the love of god.

13»

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Jackdog
    People gonna buy what they believe in, simple as that. Look at what happened with DnL. Even with SoG and after release people still bought it. For that matter there are probably a couple of people still playing it.
    As my dad used to say, every shoe won't fit every foot. The game may rock or it may turn out to be a steaming heap of dung. We won't know for sure one way or the other until release now will we?

what up jackdog, haven't seen you since i left the the Dnl forums like 8 months ago. i used to post there alot on my old account so you probably don't remember me, but good to see you in the vanguard forums. ::::20::

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by altairzq
    Originally posted by Amathe
    I love how you have concluded who the "vocal minority" is. What statistical method did you use? Where did you gather your data?
    Do I like what I read in the forums?

Yes -> it's the majority.

No -> it's a vocal minority.

Those that post on a forum are always going to be a minority.  It's only common sense.

Take MMORPG's own subscription numbers.  About 465,000+ members.  How many of those are unique members?  Let's be generous and say that they are each unique accounts.  Now of those members how many post on a regular basis?  25%? 50%?  O.K., let's be generous again and say that the full 100% post on a regular basis and make their stand known on any given subject.

Now the hard part.  What percentage of any given MMO game is represented here at MMORPG by it's 465k+ membership?  Clearly it's not 100%, or even anything close to 50% for the larger subscription MMO's.  Obviously the percentage is going to be different for each MMO out there. 

So, even if we are generous again and say that 100% of MMORPG's membership is either currently or at one time was a subscriber of let's say WoW.  And even if the entire 100% of MMORPG's membership agreed on a given topic about WoW (like that would ever happen!).  It would STILL represent a MINORITY.  
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Originally posted by dragonace

I love how you have concluded who the "vocal minority" is. What statistical method did you use? Where did you gather your data?

Those that post on a forum are always going to be a minority.  It's only common sense.

Take MMORPG's own subscription numbers.  About 465,000+ members.  How many of those are unique members?  Let's be generous and say that they are each unique accounts.  Now of those members how many post on a regular basis?  25%? 50%?  O.K., let's be generous again and say that the full 100% post on a regular basis and make their stand known on any given subject.

Now the hard part.  What percentage of any given MMO game is represented here at MMORPG by it's 465k+ membership?  Clearly it's not 100%, or even anything close to 50% for the larger subscription MMO's.  Obviously the percentage is going to be different for each MMO out there. 

So, even if we are generous again and say that 100% of MMORPG's membership is either currently or at one time was a subscriber of let's say WoW.  And even if the entire 100% of MMORPG's membership agreed on a given topic about WoW (like that would ever happen!).  It would STILL represent a MINORITY.  

That's not how it works. image 

Of course the number of people posting here, regardless of their point of view, make up just a small fraction of the number of people who play online games. That is an undisputed but irrelevant fact.

The issue is, to what extent does an individual poster's expression of their opinion on an issue represent a majority or minority view on that issue among some defined group of players (you would then have to establish what players you mean ( i.e., Vanguard players, people interested in Vanguard, mmo players, videogame players, etc.). That is what is meant by a majority or a minority.

Using your approach, let's see, there are 6 BILLION people on this planet, the vast majority of whom have no idea what Vanguard is or would care if they did, so the majority view under your approach is who gives a damn. But again, that's not what is meant.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by dragonace

That's not how it works. image 

Of course the number of people posting here, regardless of their point of view, make up just a small fraction of the number of people who play online games. That is an undisputed but irrelevant fact.

The issue is, to what extent does an individual poster's expression of their opinion on an issue represent a majority or minority view on that issue among some defined group of players (you would then have to establish what players you mean ( i.e., Vanguard players, people interested in Vanguard, mmo players, videogame players, etc.). That is what is meant by a majority or a minority.

Using your approach, let's see, there are 6 BILLION people on this planet, the vast majority of whom have no idea what Vanguard is or would care if they did, so the majority view under your approach is who gives a damn. But again, that's not what is meant.

But that's just it Amathe.  All we can do is speak for ourselves here.  How exactly do you propose to come up with your " some defined group of players".  No matter what criteria you use, you are still only guessing or estimating. 

Sure, we could do a poll here on MMORPG or wherever you want.  But it would only represent the view of those that actually responded to the poll, again a MINORITY of any sub-set that you would choose to represent.  Now, you could then choose to extrapolate that response to represent gamers as a whole, but it would be just that - a guess or opinion.