Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3rd party progs

PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
hey just curious, r progs like ACT, Advanced Combat Tracker, against the TOS of EQII, or is that one ok?  and which ones r and arent against the TOS?

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    ALL of them are against the TOS. Those things are all programs that have hacked the games code. SOE doesn't support those and, if I remember right, they actually said they'd prosecute if they find out you're using them.

Personally, I think it gives you an unfair advantage and is pretty close to cheating. I'd put you on /ignore if I found out you were using any of them.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Ive used ACT.   I dont bother with parsing anymore though, I found I was min-maxing too much and not enjoying the game so  I stopped.  I know a few in my guild who use it.

almost everyone I know in-game uses "EQ2Map"  http://www.eq2interface.com/

its an awesome program that just adds information to the existing in-game map.  Makes plotting out coords easier, and shows locations of POI's.

as for the rules etc, SOE has actually worked with ACT to ensure the program is legal.  Or I should say, the people who designed ACT do communicate with SOE to make sure they are within the EULA.  EQ2 Maps does not break any SOE EULA either

I can only speak for those 2 programs.  If you want a definitive answer, you should post this question on the SOE official boards.  This really isnt the place for that sort of answer

heres a quote from the Senior Producer of EQ2 to the writers/developers of EQ2 map.  This can confirm at least what I have said for EQ2 map.  They actually encourage the use of it.

p.s. the poster above me has no clue what he/she is talking about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EQ2MAP is definitely a bit of a spoiler, and it's probably not the kind of thing we'd put in the default skin.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a really clever mod -- the kind we encourage. The last time I checked it doesn't hack the client or hurt anyone else's play. Like other mods that fit those rules, it's just fine.

That's why I use it on my home comp, my girlfriend has it on her laptop, and at least three other friends use it too.

Take care, and our thanks to the authors.

- Scott

Feel free to quote any or all of this if you like. The fact that we have an active, healthy modding community is very important to us, and we thank you for taking care of it.

____
    Scott Hartsman
    Senior Producer, EverQuest II
    Sony Online Entertainment

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

kk, and ty for the responses.  and i did post this same question on the official forums, and got pretty much the same answer.  i posted it in both places for that reason.  i wanted to know for sure b4 i decided whether or not to use it.

again tyvm for ur responses.

• NiberNiber Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Moirae
    ALL of them are against the TOS. Those things are all programs that have hacked the games code. SOE doesn't support those and, if I remember right, they actually said they'd prosecute if they find out you're using them.

Personally, I think it gives you an unfair advantage and is pretty close to cheating. I'd put you on /ignore if I found out you were using any of them.

You're completely wrong.

Parsers are not against the EULA since they read directly from the log file and not the datastream.