Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Editorial: The Burning Crusade

123457»

Comments

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Yet another raid or die game.  Thank God I have broken my MMO addiction.  The thought of supporting any MMO company whose entire premise is to suck the money out of your wallet by sucking the life out of you is sickening.  These MMO companies are too lazy and arrogant to come up with paradigms that actually entertain their customers rather than waste their time with pointless raids and artificial time sinks.  What's really sickening is all of the rabid fans who think games should equal work, who think its a good idea to force people to play their way or hit the highway.  Geez, no wonder people call you nerds, reading half of these posts justifies the label.

These games are suppose to be fun and entertaining, not some souless life leaching mechanism to gain money.  Its bad enough that these companies take advantage of your addictions, but that many of you actually applaud this behavior is beyond comprehension.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• Ranak1Ranak1 Member Posts: 14

Yet another raid or die game.  Thank God
    I have broken my MMO addiction.  The thought of supporting any MMO
    company whose entire premise is to suck the money out of your wallet by
    sucking the life out of you is sickening.  These MMO companies are too
    lazy and arrogant to come up with paradigms that actually entertain
    their customers rather than waste their time with pointless raids and
    artificial time sinks.  What's really sickening is all of the rabid
    fans who think games should equal work, who think its a good idea to
    force people to play their way or hit the highway.  Geez, no wonder
    people call you nerds, reading half of these posts justifies the label.

These games are suppose to be fun and entertaining, not some souless
    life leaching mechanism to gain money.  Its bad enough that
    these companies take advantage of your addictions, but that many of you
    actually applaud this behavior is beyond comprehension.

Not everyone is like that you know. I played the game for over a year and, even though that's not particularly long, I never seriously raided... and guess what? I didn't "die."

The game [i]did[/i] entertain me and it didn't waste my time with artificial time sinks (except for running back to my corpse maybe.)

I don't think it's a good idea to force people to play their way or hit the highway, nor is that what Blizzard is doing in WoW.

Maybe if you want to play the game with no desire to achieve anything, then maybe you'd be right.  If that were the case, then why play a MMO at all, let alone one that charges you a monthly fee, when you could get the same kind of gameplay from free online games like chess and checkers.  The point being that once you get to level 55 and up, the only way to achieve anything is to raid.  Loot progression is raid based, virtually all the content at 55 and up is raid based.  You can't even craft without needing recipes and components from raid instances, hell, some of the recipes require you to combine in a raid instance.  If you want to PvP, you had seriously better consider raiding as you will be at a disadvantage against PvP'ers who do raid.  Yes, they plan on addressing this with the BC expnsion, but its too little, too late.  The best PvE rewards still come from raiding and the new PvP rewards, while better, still don't compare to raid gear.

Its just irritating to me that a game draws you in with all of this casual goodness only to stick it to you in the end with stupid raiding.  It was never advertised as a raiding game and a first time player who invests a year building their characters only to find that the game shuts down for them at 55 would feel ripped off.

The fact that the whole raid or die paradigm is so prevelant in the MMO industry just makes matters worse.  Its why I no longer play MMO's, but I do hope that some dev company will have the balls to come out with a MMO that doesn't follow this outdated elitist paradigm.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

Originally posted by Vrazule
    Maybe if you want to play the game with no desire to achieve anything, then maybe you'd be right.  If that were the case, then why play a MMO at all, let alone one that charges you a monthly fee, when you could get the same kind of gameplay from free online games like chess and checkers. 

I played (and will play again) WoW to have fun, not to achieve anything.

I don't see how you can even compare WoW's gameplay to chess or checkers...

You must be an idiot or you lack reading comprehension, because there is no comparison made in any way between checkers and WoW.  The analogy was quite obvious.  Games like checkers do not foster a sense of achievement, while MMO's are entirely based on achievement.  Checkers, your goal is to win, to obliterate your opponent, you don't build and grow an avatar, you don't amass wealth, loot, power.  And the entire point was to show that it is unfair for a casual game like WoW to suddenly change the acheivement factor at 55 and up from casual to hardcore raiding.  It undermines all of the effort a casual player invests into his character from 1 - 55.

I was merely suggesting that WoW isn't based purely on achievement and that my goal isn't to win like in checkers or chess...

There's more to the game than just collecting gear and gold and so on...

• ??????????
  • Blue-SilverBlue-Silver Member Posts: 3

All right then, I guess I have to have my say in this as well.

WoW, is one of the most addictive, time wasting , life-robbing games I've ever played.

It's great that's why. I stopped playing WoW a couple of months ago but I'm planning on coming back to the expansion. For those who say there is no change, look closer, you just keep relating stuff in TBC to  the original WoW.

I also thought, like most people, that TBC would be boring, dull, and a waste of time. Tell you what, I was wrong.

The new lore is a bit sketchy yeah, but it works , and that's fine with me. As far as I can see WoW rebalanced all the classes, so that none of them is too imbalanced. I love PvP and WoW lacked that but with a total revamp of the honor system and the new arenas coming up with a lot more than that just got me screaming!!!

"Finally!!!!!!!!!!! A PvP sytem worth playing with!!!!!!!!Wohoooooooo!!!"

I just have to say that I bet that TBC will be great, plus who said that hitting lvl 70 was gonna be a drag???

Unless someone is able to kill Illidan" shivers badly cause he is total pwnge" I doubt the game wil be boring.

Only one dissadvantage though..... I don't wanna lose my social life.image