Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Editorial: The Burning Crusade

Comments

• RekiemRekiem Member UncommonPosts: 39
    haa btw plz kill the person who invented the Stockades plz :)

PLZ CHOSE THE MEH FOR SPELB0rNe BETAZ KTHKXGUDBYE

• Ranak1Ranak1 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by DrowNoble
    MC will start being farmed with 25-30 people who are 70 instead of the normal 40 man raid.
    Level cap, anyone?

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Originally posted by Ranak1

Originally posted by DrowNoble

MC will start being farmed with 25-30 people who are 70 instead of the normal 40 man raid.

Level cap, anyone?

That was my point the increased cap trivializes MC.  Same problem that happened in EQ1 when they keep upping the level cap, it trivializes previous "raid" zones to the point that sometimes 1 group farms for drops off the trash mobs.  At least I think that is what you asked when quoting me.  image
    I meant level cap on MC. I believe they're going to put a level cap of 60 on MC and other instances.

• gr8mcgr8mc Member Posts: 14
    nope from what i have read there not putting a level cap on mc and other instances instead i think there putting a player cap reducing the amount of players who can enter the instance instead but who is gonna  want to go to mc when there are level 61+ greens that are better than the epics you can get
    People who have not yet reached level 61?
    It won't be any different from level 40 epics being inferior to level 50 greens...

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Tuche

such a bad review . . .
    such review is the reason i almost dont come here anymore . . .
    reviewer should die . . .

* AMD64 3.0+ ( 1800MHz ) *
    * Asus A8N-SLI *
    * 2GB DDR-400 *
    * Geforce 7800GT *
    * Seagate 160GB 7200RPM *

Customer advisory

THIS GAME IS

NOT

FOR MORONS!

I would just like to point out the irony in this post. It made me chuckle.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297
    I suppose making the current dungeons 60-only could work, but barring people from going there can cause some problems itself too.  Someone who is 61 will complain "oh come on it's only 1 more level".  By upping the level cap they are taking the lazy way to keep people playing.  They should of added Hero Classes like they said pre-release.
  • CanisCanis Member Posts: 21

WoW is a bit lame. Grinding like the asian MMOs really, when you get to the endgame. It's just a matter of stubborn persistence and not skills or wits.

But no matter how bad WoW is (or isn't), it is still the best MMO around in my oppinion. It's a bit sad really, but I do hope WAR and AoC will bring something fre´sh to the genre.

• JerothGJerothG Member UncommonPosts: 2
    My biggest beef is the balanced system... IMO it's too balanced, it's a deadlock in some cases. What I'd like to see in WoW in the future is imbalance. the ability to build your toon the way you want to, adding the element of unpredictability to the game.  Adding the ability to craft truly unique items, let the other professions actually do what they are meant to do (ie Let Armorsiths repair armor, weaponsmiths repair weapons, etc)

I think the classing is too strict, and in some cases in makes no sense. For example, Why can there not be a human Hunter? or a Dwarven Warlock?  I'd like to see some real changes to the game, as it stands I've grown tired of the faction grind, MC/Ony/BWL grinds... I've let me membership lapse for the last 3 months and will probably let it go until the expansion comes out. But how long can the expansion contain 'new' content? I think it will get old fast.

C'mon Blizz! Make it right!!

• EarleyEarley Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by JerothG
    My biggest beef is the balanced system... IMO it's too balanced, it's a deadlock in some cases. What I'd like to see in WoW in the future is imbalance. the ability to build your toon the way you want to, adding the element of unpredictability to the game.  Adding the ability to craft truly unique items, let the other professions actually do what they are meant to do (ie Let Armorsiths repair armor, weaponsmiths repair weapons, etc)

I think the classing is too strict, and in some cases in makes no sense. For example, Why can there not be a human Hunter? or a Dwarven Warlock?  I'd like to see some real changes to the game, as it stands I've grown tired of the faction grind, MC/Ony/BWL grinds... I've let me membership lapse for the last 3 months and will probably let it go until the expansion comes out. But how long can the expansion contain 'new' content? I think it will get old fast.

C'mon Blizz! Make it right!!

Dude, you got your wish. They completely redid the itemization. Now socketable items have sockets for you fill with discovered, refined, or purchased gems that add whatever effects and bonuses you want. This will allow you to customize your character finally.

Earley

• randprinrandprin Member UncommonPosts: 61

i am sorry to say this review has appearantly been done based on the reviewer reading the original press release from blizzard and not much more.

i mean, no mention of zone pvp objective, new recipes from the existing professions adding costumization to a characters, jewelcrafting and socketing items for costumization, arena battle system, etc, etc.

really, at least try playing the beta for a while before trashing the game, while WoW is not perfect or anything, this review can be summed up as bashing hte press release and not much more.

MMORPG addict since 1995.

• mjavormjavor Member Posts: 13
    Why change something that is working for them?

Sager - 9800 S

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422
    fuck wow
  • TashaGTashaG Member Posts: 23
    Wow so much bile about an expansion that obviously you know next to nothing about and couldn't be bothered to research the facts about.

1) No new classes.
    Yeah I hated this too, but once I realize that they totally reballanced all 9 character classes and revisited all Talent trees with a mind of making all of them viable for fun game play. Well I got over my disappointment.

2) Same ol' critters to tame. Well not really true. You can not tame the Serpents out of Zul Ferack, There's the Ravagers (Centauriod Alien bugs), Dragonhawks in the BE areas, and theres a ton of weird critters in Outland that's new to tame as well

3) The point that everyone seems to miss about the 25person raids is that Blizzard has made them all take less than 3hrs to do. All new instances have the winged design that Scarlet Monestary has and hopefully has less boring trash. Though having played though Aq-20, I believe that the trash will be easy to plow though.

4) The new Raid Sets are Based on a Token system (similiar to the simplified ZG system) where you get a piece of the armor, then you turn it in as a quest item for the armor piece. This time they are making sure that there are multiple class sets so that you can have sets that work better with YOUR playstyle.

5) There are a ton of 5person instanced dungeons in Outland. They are completely supported by questlines that give VERY nice quest items as a reward for finishing the area. Also once you have finished all of the new content and you have hit cap. You can crank up the difficulty of those older lower level dungeons and do them again for better gear drops. So there is some replayability with good rewards for folk who hit the leveling cap.

6) Leveling rate. Blizzard still hasn't really decided how fast people are going to level from 60-70. They have definately said that it will be faster than 20-60, but haven't decided HOW much faster.

7) The gear in TBC lvl56+ are designed to equal or exceed the power of Teir 2 Raiding armor. This is to level the playing field for all of the folk who are in outland. So at level 70 the power difference between someone in full greens and someone in Raiding epics will be closer than a lvl 60 in greens vs lvl 60 in teir 3 epics.

BTW I always keep hearing how much HARDER Everquest is and how WoW is "EZmode for 'tards", well hell I played EQ and I have trouble seeing how EQ was harder to play. I mean the Death penalty was a PITA, but actually game play was pretty weak. I feel like I have so many more choices as to what abilities to use in what circumstances in wow, more than I ever did in EQ. In EQ I never really felt in total control of my character, it always felt like auto attack and hope for the best. I never feel that way in wow, no matter what character class I am playing.

If you play WoW and you just grind the creatures and instances and you ignore the stories behind what is happening I think you end up missing what is making it such a good game desipite it's cartoony graphics and limited choices for races and classes.

Until someone comes up with a game that is as fun to solo as it is to group in. Where I am not held hostage by other people's schedules. That has great looking character models, with many many options to customize your character's look. That has a great crafting/Selling system. Where there is actually a good story behind the quests that I am doing. A game that makes me feel like a Hero(ine) and not a small insignifigant cog in a huge world. Where PvP is meaningful and random murder of PCs IG is actually punished/discouraged. That will be the game that peels me away from WoW.

NOTHING that I have seen on MMORPG.com yet fills that need and I am completely disappointed by the many development houses that are STILL trying to recreate Everquest, despite WoW showing them a way to attract a wider audience.

• CyphorgraphCyphorgraph Member Posts: 4
    its going to be more grind to the next level same quests bala balah blah. broken pvp unbalanced player levels ie hoard/ alliance imbalances, its not  the blizzard it used to be, thank you vivindi. they need to take a look at daoc and make adjustments accordingly. until then its a pve game with pvp thrown in to attract more players.

• krazymagickrazymagic Member UncommonPosts: 36

Anyone frustrated with WoW's lack of Depth, I welcome them to come and try Final Fantasy XI ^.^/

Its a much mroe difficult game, but so much more rewarding.

There is a lot of grind I wont lie, but again the rewards are big

No other MMO has the level of teamplay that FFXI has

FFXI is a game you can really embrace for years, and still see new things and experiance new things.

VERY Rich storyline, especially in the Chains of Promathia expansion, A storyline that usually encompases Single player RPG's.

Lots of side stuff to be involved in- Raising and breeding chocobo's, Crafting, Ballista and/or Brenner (PvP games), Chocobo Racing (comming in december), Monster Arena (comming in december), and one of the largest Virtual worlds in any MMORPG.

Yes, there is my plug for FFXI, Ill probably get flamed for it, but I know how it feels to be involved in a game and be frustrated and bored. I also am not saying that WoW is a bad game, I have actually considered buying it myself. I played the 10 day trial and enjoyed it a lot, What keeps me with FFXI though is of course the 3 years of time I have invested in it, and all the friends I have, and everything going on still. Its hard to walk away from all of that and dive into a new game.

Originally posted by TashaG

Until someone comes up with a game that is as fun to solo as it is to group in. Where I am not held hostage by other people's schedules. That has great looking character models, with many many options to customize your character's look. That has a great crafting/Selling system. Where there is actually a good story behind the quests that I am doing. A game that makes me feel like a Hero(ine) and not a small insignifigant cog in a huge world. Where PvP is meaningful and random murder of PCs IG is actually punished/discouraged. That will be the game that peels me away from WoW.

The new Guild Wars Nightfall is the solo game you're looking for. I'm not kidding. I play WoW and GW both, and they compliment each other well. Of course, they're both basically Blizzard games haha.

Earley

• TashaGTashaG Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Earley

The new Guild Wars Nightfall is the solo game you're looking for. I'm not kidding. I play WoW and GW both, and they compliment each other well. Of course, they're both basically Blizzard games haha.

Earley

The one problem with Guild Wars is that I don't want to just play a human. I want some choices in my character creation and GW goes in the wrong direction choice wise.

Tasha

Originally posted by Earley

Earley

The one problem with Guild Wars is that I don't want to just play a human. I want some choices in my character creation and GW goes in the wrong direction choice wise.

Tasha

It's true there are no aliens, but I don't think that's worth writing off the whole game if what you really want is a soloable MMO. GW has other problems too, but character creation is actually very strong I believe. There's absolutely no roleplaying going on in that game, which suits me fine. Anyone who wants that will be sorely disappointed though.

Also, it's the only game I've ever played where the NON-white characters look good and realistic. The Prophecies game is basically western european types. Factions has a more asian feel to the toons, and the new Nightfall is awesome -- the characters are African and Middle Eastern flavors.

E

• JundJund Member Posts: 2

Pretty crappy review if you ask me.

It's obvious that the author has only a cursory understanding of the features that are being introduced.  Jewelcrafting, Outland, 8 or 9 new major raid dungeons/instances, two new races and two new starting zones for each, socketed items, increase of the level cap to 70, new talents and abilities, a brand new PvP honor system, arenas . . .

And let's be honest here, has any expansion ever introduced a feature that did much more than introduce a variation of what players have already experienced?  New content is, at the end of the day, always similar to what has come before. 

Oh and the game's easy only if you're speaking from the perspective of solo leveling (which was intended btw).  The end-game raid encounters/instances are pretty challenging.  The PvP, particularly real world PvP, could use some major love - I'll concede that (ex DAoC/Shadowbane player here).

• StewkerStewker Member Posts: 35

More biased reporting from the MMORPG staff. Really, can you think of one review/preview, that the mmorpg staff has done well? No... I didn't think so.

Yeah I played WoW, I haven't played in over 3 months though, except sporadic logins to chat with mates.

And yeah I'm sure it will be more of the same WoW... the same as every other mmo has anymore: questing, farming, running dungeons. Saying the burning crusade is bad because it will be the same thing as before and then listing things like that, is like sayin the whole MMO genre is bad, because they all have those things and do them just as bad. After many years in this genre and sampling many games, I can say that WoW is just as bad as every other mmo out there... no I should say, once you play mmos for ten years, they end up being boring.. all of them, new and old. I am also in several mmo betas, pleading, wishing, praying for something new to come out of the mmo genre... but alas I have realized, that, nope, nothing new here, just the same old boring BS.

So in other words if you are going to bash WoW's gameplay, bash the entire genres gameplay as well, and stop making wow a scapegoat as is the case all over the internet.

I've moved away from MMOs until I see DEFINITE improvement in the way they implement their games. Second, all mmo  games are just as easy as WoW, because its the same basic concept repeated a thousand times, they just take longer, they don't require more skill, they just require you to be chained to your computer longer. Example: EQ and EVE, both are easy games, but are huge timesinks, and like WoW (and every other MMO), extremely repetitive.

EDIT: and yes this streamed straight from my brain to the post, so don't mind the grammer/spelling.

• Freedom1776Freedom1776 Member UncommonPosts: 26

"Having the biggest MMO in the world don't you think the expansion would offer some really cool changes?"

How did you arrive at this logic?  Don't try to fix what ain't broken.  The current game has netted over 7 million subscribers.  Absolutely any change, no matter how small, would need to be scrutinized thoroughly before being implemented.  Even the single change of adding the Paladin class to the Horde side through Blood Elves, and adding the Shaman class to the Alliance through Draenei (which I actually thought was a good idea) caused quite an uproar.  The uproar was actually about the fact that something did change.  The separation of the two classes between the factions was considered one of the distinguishing characteristics between them.  Now that things have changed, look at the controversy that arised.

New content?  For sure.  There's plenty of new stuff to look forward to in The Burning Crusade, especially with PvP, although that seems to be an area you don't particularly care about.  But to implement changes of the scale you seem to imply in the article would be quite risky.  There's a difference between adding new content and drastically changing the game.  The latter is not something Blizzard would risk and quite frankly, they have no reason at all to do so.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Originally posted by LSDMiraculix
    nice, people like to talk without knowing a thing.
    "Garrett Fuller looks at The Burning Crusade expansion" ...but I think he hasn't played it.
    There is no beta NDA so plz tell me who of you has a beta account and is talking about facts?edit: btw WoW is easy? who has beaten C'Thun here or who has been to Naxx?
    You don't like big raids? -has you killed a world dragon with 20 men?
    or has you beaten Jin'Do in ZG?
    and has you been to ZG with 10-15 men?
    WoW is easy to learn but hard to master!

You don't know the meaning of hard until you played EQ, Mankind, EVE,
    SWG even, DAOC, UO, AO and pretty much any other title out there lol.

WoW is a great game but it's not a hard game to learn or Master. It's
    simply a great game that cannot actually be compared to most games out
    there.

• phenoix63phenoix63 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Endo13
    Well I read through most of the thread, but finally gave up and didn't read the last few. But from what I did read, a few people see why TBC won't last if it's really just more of the same. The biggest problem with WoW is, it starts out fun, interesting, and dynamic. Then you get to level 60, and all of a sudden, all those wonderful broad choices get stripped away from you, faster than you can type the first three letters of your character name. Three different talent specs for all classes - but if you want to raid, there's really just one choice. So many different 'things' to do at end-game.. but if you really want to progress, there's really just one choice. Where Blizzard really got it wrong was in gear options at level 60. Tier 1 armor should have been your all-purpose raiding armor, and everything thereafter should have been *different*, not *more powerful*. It's not as if T1 isn't already plenty powerful enough. So now we have "lots of gear available".. it's just that none of it really changes anything, except your primary pigeon-hole role in raiding becomes even easier. Where are the Druid sets for Ballance and Feral specs? Where are the Priest sets for Shadow? Where are the Warrior sets for anything but tanking? (No, 5-piece sets from ZG and the paltry few odd non-set pieces scattered around don't count. And besides that, even most of the ZG sets just fill the same pigeon-holed roles as other instance sets.) There's no need for yet another +healing weapon from Naxx that adds +184 to healing instead of +65 (no, I know those numbers aren't the actual stats, but they serve the point here). You don't have to rachet up Boss hit points and damage, and then rachet up gear power to keep the game progressing. What you do need is new and different challenges that keep adding exciting new twists.
    (Yeah, having the boss run around doing 'unusual' things instead of just sticking on the tank is new and exciting for 1 or 2 bosses, but after that it's again just more of the same crap.)

They don't need to make broad sweeping game changes. They just need to use what's already there, and add in new, different content one small bit at a time.

This is Horribly putten, and personally i don't think you've played other MMOs.

"Where Blizzard really got it wrong was in gear options at level 60.
    Tier 1 armor should have been your all-purpose raiding armor, and
    everything thereafter should have been *different*, not *more powerful*.
    "
        - First of all, what do you mean by "different", because "more powerful" is different. All the different tiers and armor combinations you can have are different, what did you expect, for a new world to appear once you hit 60? All the sudden you get a door to a place where everything is different? No. WoW is the FIRST game to correctly master the end-game fun, exspecially raiding, and probably the only for a long time.

"The biggest problem with WoW is, it starts out fun, interesting, and
    dynamic. Then you get to level 60, and all of a sudden, all those
    wonderful broad choices get stripped away from you, faster than you can
    type the first three letters of your character name. Three different
    talent specs for all classes - but if you want to raid, there's really
    just one choice."

- This is partly true, where it is Fun, Interesting and Dynamic, every new game and MMO (that is good, and i hope i don't have to go into the defintion of "good") seems like this, when you start out, and as i started above, "WoW is the FIRST game to master the end-game fun, exspecially raiding". Now you say that you can Only be one spec. With who? Druid? Druids can be feral, it matters which guild you go with. Some need Resto, other don't. Priest? Well, first of all who goes with a Priest class for DPS? If you do, well congratulations your unique. Hunter? You can be any spec and still do decent damage, but Mark and Surv, its true, are the best. Rogue? Doesn't matter. Of course certain weapons change your dps, and assassination probably is not the best, but you could allways be it, giving you still a wide array of specs you could do. Shaman? Shamans, i've seen Enhancement, Elemental and Resto. Resto is the most common because, yes more people want these in their guilds. All other classes you can be ANYTHING you want to be, and the armor in End-game, and the amount of Points to put into Talents, and all your spells, BROADEN it, the game does not force you to be a certain anything.

"Where are the Druid sets for Ballance and Feral specs? Where are the
    Priest sets for Shadow? Where are the Warrior sets for anything but
    tanking? (No, 5-piece sets from ZG and the paltry few odd non-set
    pieces scattered around don't count. And besides that, even most of the
    ZG sets just fill the same pigeon-holed roles as other instance sets.)
    There's no need for yet another +healing weapon from Naxx that adds
    +184 to healing instead of +65"
        -
    Here you say "sets", but why does it HAVE to be a set? I've seen mixes and matches, exspecially for Fury warriors, the work better than sets. You want them to Seriously make every type of set of armor for EVERY type of talent you could be? That is impossible. Ok, impossible is to strong of a word, but it would make raiding stupid. The chances of making it so all the armor is balanced is perfect in end-game. And i'll ignore your last line, for that is just stupid. that's like saying, "there is no need to level", or how about, "I'll just keep my level 1 items till i hit 60". Think about things before you say them.

"They don't need to make broad sweeping game changes. They just need
    to use what's already there, and add in new, different content one
    small bit at a time."
        -
    Go to www.worldofwarcraft.com, look at the patches. They've been doing that for awhile.

On the subject of Burning Crusade, not chaning anything, just the same old thing.
        - I want to know what people "expect" from WoW to change? Seriously, should they jsut completely redo the game, make a WHOLE new one. It's a Expansion. Ever heard of that? A expansion. EXPANSION. Adding on to something old to make it newer, updating. I could even get the Dictionary explanation to it.

Personal Note:
        - I am more than DAMN excited about TBC. Flying Mounts, New Spells, 10 More Levels, New armor, New weapons, New dungeons, New Creatures, New Territory, New Races, New new new! And i did not mean to offend anyone on this, just stating my opinion.

"Peace is in the eye of the beholder"