Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Immersion - Little things mean a lot

HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104

What are some things that you would like to see in Hero's Journey to make the game world more immersive?

The following is taken from one of our threads over at Hero's Hall. I thought I would share some of what I and others came up with. Perhaps this will spark some interest or ideas in Simu Staff who only frequent these forums.

-----------------------------------------

Naming areas in the game world. Out in our world everything that is at all distinctive has a name. Every river, sometimes even bends in a river, every street, some corners, sections of towns have names and so forth. In most game worlds I end up giving directions by go down three streets and take a right. I would really love to say across from the theater in Old Town or go to the banks of Lake Kaposin. Most games provide a zone or city name and that is it. Not nearly enough distinction. Because of [DragonRealm's]/Gemstone’s text based nature it did have names for just about everything. I would like to see that continue. - Steele Phoenix

Remove my class from my profile. There is nothing more annoying than playing an assassin everyone knows about. - Trillian

Let's do away with the /yell feature altogether. It's irritating and serves no purpose. I have yet to hear anything /yelled in a game that was worth taking the time to type it, not even notifications about attacks, as all that spawned was yet more people yelling "Where?" "I can't find it!" "Inv plz" and so on. - Trillian

Music is important in an MMO to me, I like really well done, suiting music. And barbershops so that you can adjust certain physical features.....or somthing like that anyway. - Kylie

More ambient sounds when you are in a city. I wanna hear the sound of people talking, laughing, and yelling, dogs barking, a blacksmith working... you know, general city sounds. And I would like more npc's walking around so that cities would seem more alive. - Sa_Semax

I want a fork...or an empty mug. Perhaps a small rock or a loaf of bread. Basically, what I'm saying is, I want to be able to hold items and for those items to be seen in the gameworld. If we can put it in our backpack we should be able to hold it in our hand. And likewise, if said item is in my hand, I should be able to attack with it. I never want to see a "you cannot attack with that in your hand" message. Who are they to tell me I can't punch a Suwari in the eyeball with an empty mug, or stab an Ukar in the arse with a fork? That's a little thing. - Rics

Also, I don't want everything to look the same. Why do all suits of leather and short swords have to look the same? Seriously, they can have more than one model for items and still keep the atributes the same. Why can't a short sword have an iron hilt, leather hilt, bone hilt, silver hilt, copper hilt, wrapped hilt, or wood hilt? Why do all short sword blades have to be the same width, length, shape, or coloration? It's simple. As it stands in most RPGs now, unless the item is "uber", they all look the same. I just want basic eqipment to vary. It's as if they assign a model to attributes instead of to an item. - Rics

CLOTHING! Great wet dogs in a bucket, give me options of clothing! Not armor, just clothing. If I want to put on a bloody kilt, by God, I should be able to. I want a friggin floppy straw fishing hat! - Rics

I believe mmo worlds to be just that, another world. So i expect so much depth in diversity that it should just overwhelm the common player. I totally agree with armor having differnet looks, i hate that mmos today put one armor look per level teir. Get to level 10, and now you can wear leather, but leather all looks the same, no matter if it is rare or it is common. Warcraft does this and i hate it. We need to get to the point where hundreads of clothing options isnt something devolopers actually have the nerve to brag about, we should be up in to the tens of thousands of clothing variations and armor looks. - deserttfoxx

The same goes for weapons as well, we use medevil weapons form earth most of the time, just using that as an example there are hundreads of varaitons of swords and axes and other common weapons, why is it in games you can count the weapon looks on one hand for each weapon type? New look doesnt mean change of stats either, a saber can look like falchion as well as a long sword as long as theirs the choice of using one of three of them. Im not a fan of the linear progression.. "you are now level 1 you can use long swords, your now levle 5 you can use saber, your now level 12 you can use a falchion." Games need to do away with that stupid system, and i still cant belive games today still use it. - deserttfoxx

i like that in everquest you could learn the languages of everyrace if you so choose, and not only speak that lanaguage understand quests from others who spoke only their native language, i like that idea. I noticed in warrcraft that you can often find humans and orcs fighting together against you in dungeons or whatever, but you could never socialize with an orc even if you wanted too, there was no option what so ever to learn the opposing faction tongue, there waas plenty of situations where horde and allaince would be working together. - deserttfoxx

Another little thing that means alot, are idle animations. I absolutly hate when my character looks like he is ready to fight 100% of the time. I really enjoyed when everquest and warcraft introduced the sheathed weapons option... if only they actually included sheaths, but i guess baby steps. I like to be able to sit, but not only sit the same way everytime i choose to sit, there should be multiple variations of sit, after all who the hell sits the same way everytime. I like the wall lean in city of heros, wall sit, kneeel, crouch, all the emotes. I like that when you typed in warcraft your character made little animations to relay chatter, rvery MMO inthe future should have that feature. - deserttfoxx

I like being able to name things. I hated that in warcraft when you got noncombat pets they were unnamable, who wants to run around with a silber tabby cat named "a silver tabby cat" I want the ability to name everything, from my pets, my mount, my weapon even my armor if i so choose. I watch a lot of anime, im so used to that lead warrior having that awesome sword, and use sword has a cool meaningful name, i would like the abilty to name my weapon if i so choose. - deserttfoxx

Animation variation. This is a must, i like that in lineage 2 differnt classes, gender swung their weapons differently, i think more games should do this, but not based on class , race or gender. They should introduce attack styles, say if you learn from a certain trainer that trainer will show you his way of fighting and you will eventually know who trained where because every trainer has their own method of swining a weapon so the animations ultimatly reflect that. Not only that, but maybe certain masters specialize in certain training styles. Such as.. master A,B, and C all train firebolt, if you train at master A he will teach you an all round fire bolt, equally powerful and effective, while master B will teach you a weaker firebolt, but because of the power loss it can be casted 2 times faster, and its recast time is 2 times quicker, while master C trains in power, his attacks are 3times slower, but instead of the usual 3 second cast time it has a 5 second cast time. The animation played while casting that same skill would change to reflect where you learned from, so master A would have a differnt cast animation from master b and C. - deserttfoxx

Another small addition that would make a difference to me is random micro-world events such as shooting stars, a grasshopper crossing a road, a npc occasionally burping in a bar. Just things that make the world more alive, less a sterile virtual 3D space. - Presto

I would love to see proximity emotes. Imagine, if you will, that your avatar automatically changes his facial expression and posture based when someone on his friends and ignore list is within about 6 feet away from him and in line of sight. - z80

My own thoughts:

All of the ambient things mentioned and more...
Birds. Squirels. Shifting wind patterns. Leaves falling. Dust. Fog. Morning Mist.

NPCs going about daily duties with their own changing motivations (like oblivion or sims).

I don't want anyone to look the same. (I swear, if I see my twin in HJ, I will strike that evil doppleganger down without hesitation! "Hey.. we kind of look alik*STAB!STAB!STAB!*earrglglglgghghguuuhhh...")

No floating names. No names at all for people who haven't given their name to you. No professions listed. No levels listed. (If you click on a person you have met previously, then, and only then, should you see their name and any notes you have made about that character. I digress.)

Music is wonderful if done well. It should be in the background most of the time and should not play all the time. It should only ocassionally play in the foreground. During large battles and what not.

Animations and Emotes. Not your run-of-the-mill dozen emotes like some of the horrible things we have seen (ie: Head banging, air guitar playing /dance verb in Guild Wars.. *sigh*). There should be hundreds of common animations/emotes to start with... but also Animations that only accompany certain items... Like blowing smoke rings with a pipe... but only if you own a pipe. Animations that change as your skills change, like Juggling. A beginner frequently drops 3 balls. An expert can easily juggle 7 balls behind his back and in front, in alternating patterns, switching items and ball count.. etc.
Backflips for those with high agility. Once again: Just port DR directly to the graphical world and I shall be elated.

Perhaps there could be auto-reflexive animations as well. Your character might automatically take an offensive or defensive stance when enemies are near. Anything from putting your hand on your blade and standing poised for combat, to actually drawing your weapon and assuming a battle stance, depending on the situation. They might also flinch or duck if something nearby causes them to be surprised. Maybe these animations diminish with repetition. The first Bang causes a flinch. Second+ only causes your character to blink.

Character collision detection so we can't walk through other players/npcs/etc.

Destructable environments - with repercussions for your actions so you can't go around knocking down buildings or forests willy nilly.

Changing landscapes - Seasonal changes. Leaves falling, flowers blooming or dying. Snow cover in winter. Lakes freezing and thawing. Watching a crop be plowed, planted, grow, and be harvested over time. Buildings being built or deteriorating over time - weeds, spiderwebs, dust, etc accumulating in an abandoned building.

Smart Auto Follow system /af.

Instead of 200 people running all jumbled together in a long, somewhat single file line, like raid parties in Dark Age of Camelot, I would like to see people (mounted or on foot) spread out and staggered like they would be were they actually traveling together. Exceptions apply, of course - for treaturous terrain and such.

Mounts that don't appear/disappear magically. Horses should have to be tied up or put in a stable when not being ridden. They should also have to be fed and cared for. You should be able to equip your hose with tack, harness, armour and such.

Non combat cantrips for magic wielders.. Little tricks and such. A small flame or glow from a finger (ET phone home) or coloured lights or a puff of smoke. Cantrips that affect others: Sneeze, scratch, belch, yawn. Telekenesis for small items.. having an apple levitate from a table to your hand.

Comments

• frobischerfrobischer Member Posts: 3
    I want an MMO that gives the player the deceptively complex and fun ability of being able to put things down on the ground.  Too many games, for example WoW, do not let you place objects on the ground (with very rare exceptions).  It breaks my immersion to try to set down a barrel and get the pop-up box saying "Are you sure you wish to destroy that?"  Games that didn't do it like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies were so much more immersive!

This request merely points at a more ubiquitous desire, the ability for players to affect the game world.  Now, I'm not asking for a Second Life level of control, but just some way that the players cane leave their marks and make a difference.  One common method is via player housing.  Building and decorating a home is fun, a time and money sink, and allows for tremendous creativity.  Ryzom Ring is a very ambitious form of this, one that I endorse.  Even smaller versions work though, such as the ability to submit new boat designs and sails in Pirates of the Burning Sea.
  • Yukari_MommaYukari_Momma Member Posts: 50
    Apartment buildings in cities along with player housing available outside of them.  It would be nice if these buildings only had a set number of rooms and room numbers..  And the player houses had more than just one big room

Most buildings have a purpose (an npc's home, shop, apartment building..) and are not just empty warehouses instead of most buildings being empty place markers and only some having a use.

Otherwise, agree with most other things said!
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by HJ-Navarre

What are some things that you would like to see in Hero's Journey to make the game world more immersive?
    The following is taken from one of our threads over at Hero's Hall. I thought I would share some of what I and others came up with. Perhaps this will spark some interest or ideas in Simu Staff who only frequent these forums.
    Naming areas in the game world. Out in our world everything that is at all distinctive has a name. Every river, sometimes even bends in a river, every street, some corners, sections of towns have names and so forth. In most game worlds I end up giving directions by go down three streets and take a right. I would really love to say across from the theater in Old Town or go to the banks of Lake Kaposin. Most games provide a zone or city name and that is it. Not nearly enough distinction. Because of [DragonRealm's]/Gemstone’s text based nature it did have names for just about everything. I would like to see that continue. - Steele Phoenix
    Remove my class from my profile. There is nothing more annoying than playing an assassin everyone knows about. - Trillian
    Let's do away with the /yell feature altogether. It's irritating and serves no purpose. I have yet to hear anything /yelled in a game that was worth taking the time to type it, not even notifications about attacks, as all that spawned was yet more people yelling "Where?" "I can't find it!" "Inv plz" and so on. - Trillian
    Music is important in an MMO to me, I like really well done, suiting music. And barbershops so that you can adjust certain physical features.....or somthing like that anyway. - Kylie
    More ambient sounds when you are in a city. I wanna hear the sound of people talking, laughing, and yelling, dogs barking, a blacksmith working... you know, general city sounds. And I would like more npc's walking around so that cities would seem more alive. - Sa_Semax
    I want a fork...or an empty mug. Perhaps a small rock or a loaf of bread. Basically, what I'm saying is, I want to be able to hold items and for those items to be seen in the gameworld. If we can put it in our backpack we should be able to hold it in our hand. And likewise, if said item is in my hand, I should be able to attack with it. I never want to see a "you cannot attack with that in your hand" message. Who are they to tell me I can't punch a Suwari in the eyeball with an empty mug, or stab an Ukar in the arse with a fork? That's a little thing. - Rics
    Also, I don't want everything to look the same. Why do all suits of leather and short swords have to look the same? Seriously, they can have more than one model for items and still keep the atributes the same. Why can't a short sword have an iron hilt, leather hilt, bone hilt, silver hilt, copper hilt, wrapped hilt, or wood hilt? Why do all short sword blades have to be the same width, length, shape, or coloration? It's simple. As it stands in most RPGs now, unless the item is "uber", they all look the same. I just want basic eqipment to vary. It's as if they assign a model to attributes instead of to an item. - Rics
    CLOTHING! Great wet dogs in a bucket, give me options of clothing! Not armor, just clothing. If I want to put on a bloody kilt, by God, I should be able to. I want a friggin floppy straw fishing hat! - Rics
    I believe mmo worlds to be just that, another world. So i expect so much depth in diversity that it should just overwhelm the common player. I totally agree with armor having differnet looks, i hate that mmos today put one armor look per level teir. Get to level 10, and now you can wear leather, but leather all looks the same, no matter if it is rare or it is common. Warcraft does this and i hate it. We need to get to the point where hundreads of clothing options isnt something devolopers actually have the nerve to brag about, we should be up in to the tens of thousands of clothing variations and armor looks. - deserttfoxx
    The same goes for weapons as well, we use medevil weapons form earth most of the time, just using that as an example there are hundreads of varaitons of swords and axes and other common weapons, why is it in games you can count the weapon looks on one hand for each weapon type? New look doesnt mean change of stats either, a saber can look like falchion as well as a long sword as long as theirs the choice of using one of three of them. Im not a fan of the linear progression.. "you are now level 1 you can use long swords, your now levle 5 you can use saber, your now level 12 you can use a falchion." Games need to do away with that stupid system, and i still cant belive games today still use it. - deserttfoxx
    i like that in everquest you could learn the languages of everyrace if you so choose, and not only speak that lanaguage understand quests from others who spoke only their native language, i like that idea. I noticed in warrcraft that you can often find humans and orcs fighting together against you in dungeons or whatever, but you could never socialize with an orc even if you wanted too, there was no option what so ever to learn the opposing faction tongue, there waas plenty of situations where horde and allaince would be working together. - deserttfoxx
    Another little thing that means alot, are idle animations. I absolutly hate when my character looks like he is ready to fight 100% of the time. I really enjoyed when everquest and warcraft introduced the sheathed weapons option... if only they actually included sheaths, but i guess baby steps. I like to be able to sit, but not only sit the same way everytime i choose to sit, there should be multiple variations of sit, after all who the hell sits the same way everytime. I like the wall lean in city of heros, wall sit, kneeel, crouch, all the emotes. I like that when you typed in warcraft your character made little animations to relay chatter, rvery MMO inthe future should have that feature. - deserttfoxx
    I like being able to name things. I hated that in warcraft when you got noncombat pets they were unnamable, who wants to run around with a silber tabby cat named "a silver tabby cat" I want the ability to name everything, from my pets, my mount, my weapon even my armor if i so choose. I watch a lot of anime, im so used to that lead warrior having that awesome sword, and use sword has a cool meaningful name, i would like the abilty to name my weapon if i so choose. - deserttfoxx
    Animation variation. This is a must, i like that in lineage 2 differnt classes, gender swung their weapons differently, i think more games should do this, but not based on class , race or gender. They should introduce attack styles, say if you learn from a certain trainer that trainer will show you his way of fighting and you will eventually know who trained where because every trainer has their own method of swining a weapon so the animations ultimatly reflect that. Not only that, but maybe certain masters specialize in certain training styles. Such as.. master A,B, and C all train firebolt, if you train at master A he will teach you an all round fire bolt, equally powerful and effective, while master B will teach you a weaker firebolt, but because of the power loss it can be casted 2 times faster, and its recast time is 2 times quicker, while master C trains in power, his attacks are 3times slower, but instead of the usual 3 second cast time it has a 5 second cast time. The animation played while casting that same skill would change to reflect where you learned from, so master A would have a differnt cast animation from master b and C. - deserttfoxx
    Another small addition that would make a difference to me is random micro-world events such as shooting stars, a grasshopper crossing a road, a npc occasionally burping in a bar. Just things that make the world more alive, less a sterile virtual 3D space. - Presto
    I would love to see proximity emotes. Imagine, if you will, that your avatar automatically changes his facial expression and posture based when someone on his friends and ignore list is within about 6 feet away from him and in line of sight. - z80
    My own thoughts:
    All of the ambient things mentioned and more...

Birds. Squirels. Shifting wind patterns. Leaves falling. Dust. Fog. Morning Mist.
    NPCs going about daily duties with their own changing motivations (like oblivion or sims).
    I don't want anyone to look the same. (I swear, if I see my twin in HJ, I will strike that evil doppleganger down without hesitation! "Hey.. we kind of look alik*STAB!STAB!STAB!*earrglglglgghghguuuhhh...")
    No floating names. No names at all for people who haven't given their name to you. No professions listed. No levels listed. (If you click on a person you have met previously, then, and only then, should you see their name and any notes you have made about that character. I digress.)
    Music is wonderful if done well. It should be in the background most of the time and should not play all the time. It should only ocassionally play in the foreground. During large battles and what not.
    Animations and Emotes. Not your run-of-the-mill dozen emotes like some of the horrible things we have seen (ie: Head banging, air guitar playing /dance verb in Guild Wars.. *sigh*). There should be hundreds of common animations/emotes to start with... but also Animations that only accompany certain items... Like blowing smoke rings with a pipe... but only if you own a pipe. Animations that change as your skills change, like Juggling. A beginner frequently drops 3 balls. An expert can easily juggle 7 balls behind his back and in front, in alternating patterns, switching items and ball count.. etc.

Backflips for those with high agility. Once again: Just port DR directly to the graphical world and I shall be elated.
    Perhaps there could be auto-reflexive animations as well. Your character might automatically take an offensive or defensive stance when enemies are near. Anything from putting your hand on your blade and standing poised for combat, to actually drawing your weapon and assuming a battle stance, depending on the situation. They might also flinch or duck if something nearby causes them to be surprised. Maybe these animations diminish with repetition. The first Bang causes a flinch. Second+ only causes your character to blink.
    Character collision detection so we can't walk through other players/npcs/etc.
    Destructable environments - with repercussions for your actions so you can't go around knocking down buildings or forests willy nilly.
    Changing landscapes - Seasonal changes. Leaves falling, flowers blooming or dying. Snow cover in winter. Lakes freezing and thawing. Watching a crop be plowed, planted, grow, and be harvested over time. Buildings being built or deteriorating over time - weeds, spiderwebs, dust, etc accumulating in an abandoned building.
    Smart Auto Follow system /af.
    Instead of 200 people running all jumbled together in a long, somewhat single file line, like raid parties in Dark Age of Camelot, I would like to see people (mounted or on foot) spread out and staggered like they would be were they actually traveling together. Exceptions apply, of course - for treaturous terrain and such.
    Mounts that don't appear/disappear magically. Horses should have to be tied up or put in a stable when not being ridden. They should also have to be fed and cared for. You should be able to equip your hose with tack, harness, armour and such.
    Non combat cantrips for magic wielders.. Little tricks and such. A small flame or glow from a finger (ET phone home) or coloured lights or a puff of smoke. Cantrips that affect others: Sneeze, scratch, belch, yawn. Telekenesis for small items.. having an apple levitate from a table to your hand.
    Nice long post , was this your HJ GM application :) or an extract...

Just a complex skill system of equal and opposite tendencies, the mage against the warrior evil against good. As long as you remove defined classes and build skills/abilities that are difficult to use in combination so you have the concept of the traditional classes but don't have the stigma above your head. you're a Mage... you're a Warrior no I have some minor mage skills but can still wield a longsword type idea.

Base abilities enhanced as a sum of the total of alll player skills used level concept but not levels...

Roll on HJ I hope you are working hard and if you ever need a hand just ask...

• ragnar1965ragnar1965 Member Posts: 1

How about a game that ISN'T a World of Warcraft knockoff? I don't want to be pidgeon-holed into questing to level. For the last 15 months, it seems like every game that comes out starts with WoW. They rename it, redress it, and charge us to play it. How about leaving the form of levelling up to us? After all, we're the ones paying to play the game. If I want to quest, I should be able to. If I want to go kill stuff and level that way, I should be able to. And if I want to quest part of the time and grind the rest of the time, then I should be able to do that as well. Also, how about not having an arbitrary level up. Show us an experience bar. Let us know how close we are to levelling. Give us experience points for everything we do (that's worth experience, of course). Just my opinion.

• Yukari_MommaYukari_Momma Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by ragnar1965

How about a game that ISN'T a World of Warcraft knockoff? I don't want to be pidgeon-holed into questing to level. For the last 15 months, it seems like every game that comes out starts with WoW. They rename it, redress it, and charge us to play it. How about leaving the form of levelling up to us? After all, we're the ones paying to play the game. If I want to quest, I should be able to. If I want to go kill stuff and level that way, I should be able to. And if I want to quest part of the time and grind the rest of the time, then I should be able to do that as well. Also, how about not having an arbitrary level up. Show us an experience bar. Let us know how close we are to levelling. Give us experience points for everything we do (that's worth experience, of course). Just my opinion.
    How is that not WoW?  You don't have to quest in WoW to level up..  In fact, a friend of mine leveled to 60 once faster than I've seen anybody do it before and did it without completing a single quest.  Many games now of days DO show an experience bar,  I've never even plated one that doesn't have that I can remember.

WoW also gives you different ways to level.  You just can't level for something like roleplaying, crafting, or picking flowers.  You can either raise by killing, questing, or pvping.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

Well, one of my favorate things in Gemstone is the fact my Rogue can get from level 1 to 100 by purely picking (albiet a LOT of boxes)... Something that I like EVEN MORE is the fact I DONT want to level. I no other game have I thought to myself "I'm never going to finish <insert skill here> if I keep leveling all over the place..."

I have 111 ranks in rogue guild out of 174. I seem to keep in step at 63 ranks below my max no matter how much lockpick mastery I focus on. It drives me up the friggin wall. The higher I get, the harder boxes I need to do my mastery, the harder the boxes the harder it is for me to find people that get those boxes, the longer it takes me to rank up. Never before in my MMO playing carreer am I actively TRYING to not gain xp - I pick with my vaalin on the low boxes as much as I can... etc...

• SolrekSolrek Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Valendros

Well, one of my favorate things in Gemstone is the fact my Rogue can get from level 1 to 100 by purely picking (albiet a LOT of boxes)...

You make a good point, too many designers today focus on combat as the primary means of interaction between players.  Some of my best times in Star Wars Galaxies was at the Cantina on a crowded weekend night. My wife played as her Dancer / Hairstylist / Fashion Designer, while my Bounty Hunter sat in a dark corner chatting with friends keeping an eye out for wanted Jedi. Good times...

The key to immersion is not a bunch of canned animations, graphical effects, and sound, it is meaningful interaction between players that leaves them feeling like they have had an effect on the world. It is a design issue, not a content issue.

One of the most immersive games I have played is Shadowbane. I can hear the groans now .  Really though, once you got passed the mind numbing grind and got to the point where your group of friends decides to build a city, with an economy, and a strong local alliance so it would not be crushed into the dirt... you were in deep. The political intrigue and plotting was so intense we had spies posted in our enemy's cities, vassals paying us taxes, and thugs trying to threaten us for protection money. Crappy graphics, buggy engine, unbalanced classes, but extremely immersive.

World Builder GM
    Hero's Journey
  • RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

First off I must 2nd the notion loudly , that graphics and sound are ok, but immersion is the key in all things MMO.

MMo's started out for me being worlds to live and play AND fight in..now they are just fighitng areas that are way too big. We dont need all the room were using in these games anymore because there's no simulation.

We went from placing our own houses to sharing an instanced door, to no houses at all!!!! wtf? We should be designing our houses by now. Let us create and place our houses!!1 please please please...if we have the skill that is.

Most of our time spent in an MMO should be having fun living elsewhere, not fighitng. Super smash bro's uses one lil screen for what most of WoW etc needs a whole world for. I would like to spend more time perfecting non essential crafts then essential ones....

Let each arch type have hobbies.... forget balancing so everyone can kill everyone but rather make every job fun. priest do not need to be able to kill to be useful for example, but how about letting them cast non essential spells like giving players a glow, or making thier staves give off light, or even summoning little elves to play a jig.

immersion comes from many ways but the first way should be crafting...let people take on more jobs that effect the enviroment, housing, barbersmakeup, cooking ( make cooking more realistic please), dying, decorating etc.....more jobs, more player interaction, more chances to make money by working hard= more fun!  also make farming interactive please.

bring back a crafting system that has varying results for the same items....having shifting resources is so far the best.... resources of varying quality that come around randomly is awesome. I miss having vendors of varying quality...not all wepons were the same and that rocked, even when they had the same name!

Speaking of music I love the idea of playing different instruments based on class maybe. It would be super to be able to write music and perfom for money with a band. Another thing MMo's promised when they were not busy becoming mike tysons punch out in a huge world.

Dont  make being a guild the way to power...let soloers be every bit as strong. Instead reward guilds with perks, not power. A survey I took showed me overwhelmingly that most people in guilds are only there because they have to be to get where they are going, but even still prefer soloing and do so mostly.

If I find I am forced to join a guild to compete I leave a game that second. I like grouping when I want but if you want to be truly powerful in a game like WoW you have to group thousands and thousands of times whether you want to or not.... Do away with that insanity. If people want to guild they should and naturally guilds should have power in numbers not in items. Give them instead prettier items with equal type abilities.

I liked SWg's use an iten get better with an item policy and also its, level in any skills you wanted to just having a limited amount of leveling overall. But unlike SWG the non essential skills should be kept seperate. So if I wanna be a master ax userhealer I can etc...mage
    ouge... make it so we can level in several types of mage styles and be uber magic user or some mage some whatever... people loved that system, and would so much more if it were improved.

Going up levels and getting more hp'smp's is a grind in any tounge...level up your skills not your health. 10 noobs players should be able to kill one older one....this idea would not be implemented I know but i'd like to see it brought back.

Taming animals should be more fun. IN early stages of SWG it was amazing....having it get harder and harder as you go to get certain pets was superb, let us tame just about everything and then sell them  to non tamers...let those pets vary in skills to a complex to degree so certain tamers sell pets of only some varieties. making only baby animals tameable worked well. Have pets grow old and die relatively quickly to keep tamers in business.

This way I can make money taming a bear that suits a magic user while another tamer leveled up in warrior friendly pets or some such type of system.

Put a cap on what an item can sell for and you will solve economy issues easily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure people will find a way but on a much smaller level then what we see. If I can only sell a rare item for a max of say 50 gold that would work. That should apply to auction houses and 2 player trade windows.

My ideas for now.... :)