Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

im excited about this game

mature rating...the promise of not "cleaning out the local rat infestation"....the graphics...

if they can deliver what they say this game may be VERY awesome

Comments

• mnielsmniels Member Posts: 16

Oh wow!!  Yet ANOTHER fantasy based MMORPG.  Maybe this game will have something new like a sword, or some plate armor.  Maybe there will be castles to explore or dungeons.  Maybe I can play a wizard or a theif.  I wonder if there will be new types of monsters like or orcs or trolls.  Maybe the economy will be based on gold coins...... zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzz......

Sorry... I must have dozed off again.  I'm sorry, but the industry is SATURATED with fantasy; WoW, Everquest, Everquest2, FFXI, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, DAoC, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Guild Wars, Lineage... Need I go on?  Between that and reality TV, I'm more entertained by chewing on rusty razorblades.  As you might guess, I will NOT be playing Conan.

Why doesn't someone come up with something NEW?  We need more Sci-Fi MMORPGS.  It is the second most popular game type out there (if not the first.  I'm being generous and respectful of fantasy fans).  If someone would come up with a good sci-fi MOG, I'm sure the subscribers would flock to it.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by mniels

Oh wow!!  Yet ANOTHER fantasy based MMORPG.  Maybe this game will have something new like a sword, or some plate armor.  Maybe there will be castles to explore or dungeons.  Maybe I can play a wizard or a theif.  I wonder if there will be new types of monsters like or orcs or trolls.  Maybe the economy will be based on gold coins...... zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzz......
    Sorry... I must have dozed off again.  I'm sorry, but the industry is SATURATED with fantasy; WoW, Everquest, Everquest2, FFXI, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, DAoC, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Guild Wars, Lineage... Need I go on?  Between that and reality TV, I'm more entertained by chewing on rusty razorblades.  As you might guess, I will NOT be playing Conan.
    Why doesn't someone come up with something NEW?  We need more Sci-Fi MMORPGS.  It is the second most popular game type out there (if not the first.  I'm being generous and respectful of fantasy fans).  If someone would come up with a good sci-fi MOG, I'm sure the subscribers would flock to it.

Damn, you really are sleepy, since you seem to have missed the fact that this is A.) not a fantasy game B.) "SATURATED" with new interesting features

Oh, and I know this is kind of beating the bush with irrelevant information, but there are no orcs or trolls in this game. The economy is based on the Luna, a silver coin. There are no wizards in the classic sense. and finally, the Hyborian world had no castles.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• mnielsmniels Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    Damn, you really are sleepy, since you seem to have missed the fact that this is A.) not a fantasy game B.) "SATURATED" with new interesting features
    Oh, and I know this is kind of beating the bush with irrelevant information, but there are no orcs or trolls in this game. The economy is based on the Luna, a silver coin. There are no wizards in the classic sense. and finally, the Hyborian world had no castles.

How is this NOT a fantasy game?  What makes this so different than say:  ArchLord, Ashen Empires, Asheron's Call, Astonia III, Clan Lord, Conquer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Dark Ages, Dark and Light, Diamonin, Dofus, DragonRaja, Dungeons & Dragons Online, El Kardian, Eudemons Online, EverQuest, EverQuest II, EverQuest Online Adventures, Fairyland Online, Final Fantasy XI, Flyff, Fung Wan Online, Furcadia, GoonZu Online, Graal Online, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Helbreath, Hero Online, Horizons, Irth Worlds, KALOnline, Kingdom of Drakkar, Knight Online, LastChaos, Legend of Mir 3, Legend of Mir: The Three Heroes, Lineage, Lineage 2, MagiKnights, MapleStory, Martial Heroes, Meridian 59 : Evolution, Minions of Mirth, Monster & Me, MU Online, Myth War, Nexus: The Kingdoms Of The Winds, Ogre Island, Priston Tale, Ragnarok Online, Rakion, ROSE Online, Rubies of Eventide, Runescape, Savage Eden, Shadowbane, Silk Road Online, Sphere, Tantra Online, Terra World, Thang Online, The 4th Coming, The Legend of Ares, The Myth of Soma, The Realm Online, The Saga of Ryzom, Tibia, Tibia Micro Edition, Toontown Online, Trickster Online, TS Online, Turf Battles, Ultima Online, Underlight, World of Warcraft, or Wurm Online?  (all final release MMORPGs in the fantasy genere according to this site).

So no castles, no wizards, no orcs and no trolls...  Sounds like this game has LESS to offer than the rest.

The silver coin is called a Luna?  A rose by any other name, my friend.

According to this site, there are:

77 fantasy MOGs and only 20 Sci-Fi MOGs RELEASED.

59 fantasy MOGs and only 15 Sci-Fi MOGs in BETA or in DEVELOPMENT.

That's a total of 136 Fantasy MOGs and 35 Sci-Fi MOGs.  That's a 4 to 1 ratio.

And even then, most Sci-Fi MOGs are ship to ship combagt games (boring).  And don't even get me started about how they beat the hell out of SWG...  That game had real potential.

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to hijack this post.  I'm just frustrated.  I'll go away now.

Sorry, I was just coming back here to rectify my earlier mistake. You see, AoC is what I call a Mythos game. In more common terminology, it is low fantasy. Nearly every single one of the games you just listed is high fantasy.

The difference is quite profound. In high fantasy, the entire thing, from top to bottom is pure made up B.S. Most versions include Tolkien lore.

Low fantasy, you take what might have passed for an ordinary human culture from the past. The elements of magic and mythical creatures are interwoven into this society and world. Mythos is the same thing, only the mythical creatures come from preexisting tales of the society's folklore. The game Jade Empire is pretty much the perfect example of the Mythos concept.

As to concepts that make the game unique: controlled, non autoattack combat system in which skill is the number one factor; crafted, not looted gear being the best; splitting of the PvE and PvP skill trees; absolutely zero "kill X mobs of type Y" quests; sieging and defending player towns (done in SB, but poorly); formation combat (not just running in formations, only to be forced to cancel it or die in a fight); mounted combat in which both speed and mass of all parties are a factor in any damage caused; true collision detection, if you swing your weapon and hit more than one person, you hurt both, not just your target

"So no castles, no wizards, no orcs and no trolls..."

No castles as I said, that medieval concept quite simply does not fit, there are battlekeeps and fortified cities/villages, but definately no castles

no pointy hat wizards hurling bright fireballs, personally, im not sorry to see them go. Instead we have people bargaining away pieces of their soul for more power and/or demonic servants, or giving away some of their life energy to reanimate the dead, but no clowns shooting pink energy beams.

No, there are none of the classic orcs or trolls amazingly enough, they have been way overused by MMOs. Instead, we have creatures like the below...

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

That's just it, these companies are running a business, and are looking for a return on invested capital. The WOW subscriber base alone is impressive, add on the subsciber basis from all the games you mention, and, even with duplication, it is hard for a developer to tell a publisher that they are not going to follow the tried and true money making machine. Your best bet is to lobby Blizzard for a Starcraft MMORPG to break the science fiction genre wide open, they have the established market storyline, the subsciber base, and the profitability to take this gamble.
  • PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    Ok sorry ..came across this post and was wondering....What the hell is a low and high fantasy ?   Is this a term used by the company ? is it player made ?   Someone got burnt on this one and had to break down fantasy in there own words, rather then dealing with they were just wrong. I'm gonna swing back on this post and let you know where I see the term High and low fantasy on my retail box's and my digital downloads.......However your gonna have to give me sometime.

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by Praor
    Ok sorry ..came across this post and was wondering....What the hell is a low and high fantasy ?   Is this a term used by the company ? is it player made ?   Someone got burnt on this one and had to break down fantasy in there own words, rather then dealing with they were just wrong. I'm gonna swing back on this post and let you know where I see the term High and low fantasy on my retail box's and my digital downloads.......However your gonna have to give me sometime.

I am not certain as to the exact origins, but it is definately player made, and not by me. And I wasn't wrong, in my own mind, it ISNT fantasy. I forgot while posting that others dont see it that way.

Hemingway

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    Hey as long as you think your right in your own mind, then how could you be wrong  * rollseyes*. I was kinda of hopeing you were gonna throw me off and hit me with some " Facts ". Anyways on me......Have a better day

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• CrakkajackCrakkajack Member Posts: 7

The term low or high fantasy is not a hard concept to grasp... and the explanation of the 2 seemed pretty straight forward and understandable

It's fantasy yet one is way more "fantastic" than the other.

edit: besides being skilled with swords and being upfront with your opponent just interests me more.

• KruniacKruniac Member Posts: 132

Another asshole who flames something they do not know.

I cant say anything positive or negative about the game, because aside from the Conan movies, I have NO idea what its all about.

I will say that the Mature rating proves that SOMEONE has some balls out there to make a decent game, and we'll just have to see if this is it.

Originally posted by Kruniac

Another asshole who flames something they do not know.
    I cant say anything positive or negative about the game, because aside from the Conan movies, I have NO idea what its all about.
    I will say that the Mature rating proves that SOMEONE has some balls out there to make a decent game, and we'll just have to see if this is it.

Very quick read on the basics of the game Here

The page also has links to the best, more extensive and detailed informational sources.

Hemingway

• cyberprikcyberprik Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Povey151
    mature rating...the promise of not "cleaning out the local rat infestation"....the graphics...

if they can deliver what they say this game may be VERY awesome

There is no question on whether thhey can deliver their promises. Go see some videos and u will be convinced 2

• canonik12canonik12 Member Posts: 8
     Together with Thrones of Chaos, AoC is my favorite.image
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by canonik12

It is disrespectful to put a legitimate game such as AoC in the same sentence as that POS ToC. I hope your not being paid in stocks, cause you'll be broke.

• pitonic1pitonic1 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Zorvan

It is disrespectful to put a legitimate game such as AoC in the same sentence as that POS ToC. I hope your not being paid in stocks, cause you'll be broke.

OWNED!!!

• pitonic1pitonic1 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by pitonic1

Originally posted by Zorvan

can i have  some stocks 2?

Please?

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

Oh wow!!  Yet ANOTHER fantasy based MMORPG.  Maybe this game will have something new like a sword, or some plate armor.  Maybe there will be castles to explore or dungeons.  Maybe I can play a wizard or a theif.  I wonder if there will be new types of monsters like or orcs or trolls.  Maybe the economy will be based on gold coins...... zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzz...... Sorry... I must have dozed off again.  I'm sorry, but the industry is SATURATED with fantasy; WoW, Everquest, Everquest2, FFXI, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, DAoC, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Guild Wars, Lineage... Need I go on?  Between that and reality TV, I'm more entertained by chewing on rusty razorblades.  As you might guess, I will NOT be playing Conan. Why doesn't someone come up with something NEW?  We need more Sci-Fi MMORPGS.  It is the second most popular game type out there (if not the first.  I'm being generous and respectful of fantasy fans).  If someone would come up with a good sci-fi MOG, I'm sure the subscribers would flock to it.
    you do realize that you DONT have to play fantasy mmorpgs if you dont want to. In fact...you are so bent out of shape about it why do you even come to the message boards. I dont like pokemon so i dont sit around on pokemon message boards and bitch about it all the time...i do the things i enjoy. You dont like fantasy mmorpgs...go play something else and let those of us that do be happy about it. Why are you even on the forums if you arent going to be playing it anyways?

• PegurPegur Member Posts: 5
    Finally a game for the adults? What can I say. I absolutely hate wow for it's disney-merry-magic-mushroom graphics. I just couldn't get over that. If you hit someone with axe, it's going to be messy. It should be. Hopefully the community will be awsome due the mature rating.

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283

I hate fantasy games I tried WoW for 2 weeks and now I'm stuck with it every time I look at the box I wanaimage.

ANYWHO:

This game is different thought because Its combining alot of stuff.  I dont get why everyone is going to WAR because it seems exaclty like WoW.  Anywho im excited for this game too.image