Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a word... BRUTAL.

2»

Comments

• JetJonJetJon Member Posts: 31

It is inevitable. No mater how may posts there are in every forum in the world idiots like you will still buy the stupid game. The reason? Your idiots.

Roma Victor is not perfect, but it can be fun, to the right people. Don’t assume you speak for everyone. And most importantly of all, don’t assume that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid.

A few weeks ago I helped a new player; I was waiting around for my guilds leader to finish fixing my pick so I could go do a mine run. So I was sitting there doing very little when a brand new player spawns at the Master. I mean this is his first logon. So I run over and greet him, add him to my friends list, like pretty much everyone does when they meet someone. And then when he was fully logged in I helped him finish his first 3 master quests, lead him by the hand through each quest, and showed him how to do the basic things in the game. After his third quest, he asked where all the action was. My response was, you have been in game for 5 minutes, and you have NO skills. You don’t want any action. But I showed him how to equip his spear and told him where to go. He logged out saying how much the game sucked and never returned.

Now I certainly understand his frustration, and his point. But in my life five minutes has NEVER been a sufficient time to judge anything. And people who write reviews should also take a little more time. So, call me a Fanboi. I could care less. But I don’t think anyone except DDT and Virtus is being fair to the game, and themselves. And anyone who knows the game knows that, well DDT and I don’t get along.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

I had a similar experiance. Guy logs in, not sure how long he was around for, don't think very long. I start talking to him and his only complaint was, not the UI, not the stupid names, not that things were hard to do, but the graphics. I tried to get him to look around that but i just ended up thinking "F'in moron, good never come back!" and he didn't.

the sad part is, the graphics are really not that bad. very little is actualy implemented. and tehy ahve yet to even start with speedgrass. but once tehy start with the graphics modding, well its gonna get a little better.

and latest word on that is Vulcan is working on that non stop now. i admit, he is the only art guy the have, but that means 100% of the art team is working on improved graphics.

i think KFR said somthing about partical effects comming in soon, so they can make bees so we can farm them, required for mead, a drink which is brewed.

people get upset at how slow this game is progressing. its slow, but its to the point of huge leaps every update.

• ZuhexZuhex Member Posts: 5

Ive been playing since July and im going to atleast stick it out for one more patch but if these performance/crashes/bugs that have been around since i started are not worked out i dont see any point in keeping this game on my hard drive. I spend more time trying to get the game to work then i do playing so its a waste of time. Feel ripped off? Yes a bit but chalk it up as a loss owell. PvP this weekend with you romans felt ridiculous and idiotic, i crashed constantly player modules were "twitching around" not staying in place. The game doesnt even utilize full screen yet, i have never played an mmorpg in a window that forced me to. Every game takes a performance hit when its ran in a window as opposed to full screen. The ideas are great for this game but thats all pen and paper, its all about execution. Maybe and hopefully the next patch will address the things preventing alot of people from playing but im not going to hold my breath.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441

Originally posted by Zuhex
    Ive been playing since July and im going to atleast stick it out for one more patch but if these performance/crashes/bugs that have been around since i started are not worked out i dont see any point in keeping this game on my hard drive. I spend more time trying to get the game to work then i do playing so its a waste of time. Feel ripped off? Yes a bit but chalk it up as a loss owell. PvP this weekend with you romans felt ridiculous and idiotic, i crashed constantly player modules were "twitching around" not staying in place. The game doesnt even utilize full screen yet, i have never played an mmorpg in a window that forced me to. Every game takes a performance hit when its ran in a window as opposed to full screen. The ideas are great for this game but thats all pen and paper, its all about execution. Maybe and hopefully the next patch will address the things preventing alot of people from playing but im not going to hold my breath.
      fanbois = 0wned

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

Originally posted by Gorukha
      fanbois = 0wned

and how exactly were we owned?
      I'm not giving out reading lessons buddy, sorry.  I mean the lengths to which fanbois go in order to defend as in this case is a heavily flawed and buggy game is astounding .

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

I spend more time trying to get the game to work then i do playing so its a waste of time.

Has somebody in this thread taken this above statement to be the norm for all RV players?  You would be mistaken.  Greatly.

My experience has been that the troubles logging in have been greatly reduced.  I can get in first try about 90% of the time now.  Other times it would be the 2nd or 3rd attempt.  Crashes while in game still do occur, but for me and others in my guild they now occur once every few hours if at all.  

Although rough around many edges and currently lacking many features promised in future patches, RV is currently very functional and there is a small community of players enjoying it.  

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

Originally posted by Kemarik

I spend more time trying to get the game to work then i do playing so its a waste of time.

Has somebody in this thread taken this above statement to be the norm for all RV players? You would be mistaken. Greatly.
    My experience has been that the troubles logging in have been greatly reduced. I can get in first try about 90% of the time now. Other times it would be the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Crashes while in game still do occur, but for me and others in my guild they now occur once every few hours if at all.
    Although rough around many edges and currently lacking many features promised in future patches, RV is currently very functional and there is a small community of players enjoying it.

I play about 15 to 20 hours a day, I log in about 100 times a day. Not because I have problems, but because I play 4 accounts. I log in first time 95%+ of the time easy.

I play way more then I try to log in. Having said that, yes the game has problems, however, the crafting is off the chart of how well it is.

Oh about the fanboy thing, well anyone that says anything good about the game is going to be called a fanboy, anyone saying anything bad is going to be hater. So who cares? If you dont like the game dont play it. If you do, go play it.

50% of the posts on these forums are from people that will NEVER play nor have they ever played the game.

-MrDDT

Why do you have 4 accounts ? I guess you need to be insane in order to enjoy this game.

Why do you have 4 accounts ? I guess you need to be insane in order to enjoy this game.

ALOT of people have at least two. One roman one barb that way they have a spy character. Also to support RB.

Back during the GOCaT Phase there was a paypal donation system that brought in several hundred dollars a month to help support the team while they built the game.

Yes that’s right, we were paying them to build it BEFORE there was a game, before there were tests. Back before there was a graphics engine there were people donating money to the devs.

They shut it down, under protest (of the community) when testing started. They wanted people to use the VERM, and get something in return.

That’s what kind of community RV has, I really miss the days when multi thousand post discussions were made on how a bow should work… when the community was as much a part of the team as the devs. Now, with the general MMO weenie invasion it like everything else kids get their hands on, has gone to pot. But we still have the core of people you call “Fanboi’s” but you see, we really are not fans. We are contributors. So yes we buy multiple accounts, we defend the game, and most of all, we accept the down sides.

On the RV forums there is a thread going, no one is talking, we are simply listing our favorite aspect of the game, worst bug, most anticipated feature, and out rating of the game. Would you guess the average rating is under 50%. Yes its got issues, but we “Fanboi’s” are more interested in helping the devs (who are our friends) fix the issues.

So really, all the whiners are only that. If you knew your ass from a hole in the ground you would contribute to making the game better, not bitch about how you wasted money.

You didn’t buy a game, you bought your self the right to help build a game. That is something to be proud of, if your not, we don’t need you.

Originally posted by JetJon
    Back during the GOCaT Phase there was a paypal donation system that brought in several hundred dollars a month to help support the team while they built the game. Yes that’s right, we were paying them to build it BEFORE there was a game, before there were tests. Back before there was a graphics engine there were people donating money to the devs.They shut it down, under protest (of the community) when testing started. They wanted people to use the VERM, and get something in return. That’s what kind of community RV has, I really miss the days when multi thousand post discussions were made on how a bow should work… when the community was as much a part of the team as the devs. Now, with the general MMO weenie invasion it like everything else kids get their hands on, has gone to pot. But we still have the core of people you call “Fanboi’s” but you see, we really are not fans. We are contributors. So yes we buy multiple accounts, we defend the game, and most of all, we accept the down sides. On the RV forums there is a thread going, no one is talking, we are simply listing our favorite aspect of the game, worst bug, most anticipated feature, and out rating of the game. Would you guess the average rating is under 50%. Yes its got issues, but we “Fanboi’s” are more interested in helping the devs (who are our friends) fix the issues.So really, all the whiners are only that. If you knew your ass from a hole in the ground you would contribute to making the game better, not bitch about how you wasted money. You didn’t buy a game, you bought your self the right to help build a game. That is something to be proud of, if your not, we don’t need you.

You bought yourself the right to help build a game. Too bad the developers dont advertise it that way lol. Well my friend I think I'm saving that post. It will help to remind me what a genius I am. 

• max2008max2008 Member Posts: 91

There is no monthly fee so its not at all uncommon to find some with 2+ accounts.You have to understand this game is extremely empty when it comes to population .I played AC2 on one of the lowest population server which had 150 at best at peak  time before it got merged and can say RV world is even emptier even when you count the people using 2+ computers at same time.

However the game has a few loyals who have faith in the game and are willing to buy extra accounts to help support the game and probably quite a bit of ingame money even if they deny this.Though considering trade by barter is greater then money in the game a lot of the ses are probably just sitting around.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by duncan_922
    Please do us ALL a favor and go back to playing WoW!!!    Your wood-elf misses you!

With a comment like that don't you belong in the Vnaguard forum? :P

Oh ic.  I kinda respect the idealism,but realistically a few guys aren't going to be able to make a dent in the dev and running costs no matter how much they donate . 

Oh ic.  I kinda respect the idealism,but realistically a few guys aren't going to be able to make a dent in the dev and running costs no matter how much they donate . 
    One person may not make alot of diffrence but tons of people donate monthly and sometimes in large amounts, and with the Devs not taking any income that is quite a bit of money.

Sadly the game doesnt have a TON of subscribers as far as I know.  They only sold 5k+ keys so far, and it is obvious alot of people didn't stick around to buy any more in game money.

Wonder what the running costs are, guess if the devs dont take income.which is insane. then it's all bandiwth.

• max2008max2008 Member Posts: 91

Well like been said the game does not have tons of people that i think apart from the extreme diehard will agree with.

Fact that it has no monthly fee means that you see the occasional person log in to find out how the game is doing.But even that does not really populate the world much and it does lack players for sure.

But a couple of hundreds would keep the game afloat as the whole team are about 5 people or so.And server cost is probably not that high.

But i will personally be shocked if there are still more then 2k active players in this game of which maybe half would bother to buy ses since through barter you can get nearly everything within the game.

Atm the game is probably running still on the original sales money which at about 5k keys nets in around $200k which for a small man operation can run the game for a while.

Good points, guess that's the advantage of a small team and a dedicated one .  The problem is long term however.
      The word of mouth isnt exactly good for this game, and for small games that's key.  They are also faced with a dual problem. Now they have to satisfy the fanbois with new content , while still battling bugs and trying to attract more players to their game.