Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next WoW?

Will the release of AoC be as big as when WoW first came out? Will there be as many players as there are on WoW, im still making the disicsion whether to buy this game on release or not. Big communities really doesn't bother me too much but ,hopefully, there wont be as much Noobs on Aoc servers. (I do live in hope) image

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I don't think so. If you want to start as good as WoW you need a lot of money to invest into marketing and you need a big playerbase. WoW has a lot of fans so it was easier for them. New games have much harder time imo. =]

Sorry for my weak english, i hope you understand me o_O

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    To be honest, I hope not. The immature community in WOW is one of the biggest factors I did not enjoy playing it. The size to me doesnt matter too much, but the bigger it gets, the younger the crowd acts as a general rule.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

7 million subs is alot to beat..

• keygankeygan Member Posts: 237
    This looks like a totally different game than WoW.  I think that it will draw a totally different crowd, hopefully more mature, which they are shooting for anyway.....atleast i hope :)
  • dinkdink Member Posts: 438

I think that Age of Conan will be SORT OF like WoW.

The industry-standard set by WoW may just be met and exceeded in some ways by AoC, but I don't think any MMO will ever be as successful as WoW has been - at least not until the market grows even more.  My guess is that the next game to support that many concurrent users will come from a console MMO that delivers incredible single-player quality gameplay with multiplayer elements  - just because of the larger market base.

However, AoC will be among the next group of PC MMOs that WoW really created the funds for by showing proof, even more than Everquest, that there is a ton of money to be made in the market.  The problem for AoC and the other really awesome-looking AAA MMOs that are coming up (Gods and Heroes, Warhammer Online, etc.) will have to compete with each other AND with WoW. 

A lot of EQ's and WoW's overwhelming successes have been due to the fact that they've just dominated the competition in overall quality (for their time period).  While DAoC and UO were great games, they were the little brothers of EQ much like CoH, Guild Wars, and EQ II are all great games (in their own ways) but don't compare well to WoW (at least to the majority of gamers - I realize that mileage varies between different players).

I'm totally looking forward to this new era.  I'm extremely fond of MMOs and I think that strong competition and several AAA MMORPGs to choose between will broaden the genre and bring us all a ton of fun gameplay.  :)
  • mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    To be honest, I hope not. The immature community in WOW is one of the biggest factors I did not enjoy playing it. The size to me doesnt matter too much, but the bigger it gets, the younger the crowd acts as a general rule.
    I totally agree.  WoW's 12 year old fan base (with a few exceptions) is really immature and not fun to play with. 

• 2222222222 Member Posts: 24
    I think of the reason people can be assholes in wow is not only the  player age but the fact of not having a way of getting retribution for people not following the norms.  One of the reasons I enjoy sandboxs pvp games like shadowbane is if an asshole player is being a jerk i can kill him loot his crap and burn down his home.  I know alot of nice guys I played wow with being jerks to other people because honestly why not when it cant effect you. Chances are they are going to screw you if you dont screw them first.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Another reason for WOW's horrible community is the fact that Blizzard had close to no CS support.. Funcom is the other side of the spectrum, they have possible the best CS in MMORPG's to date.. Their CS's are a active bunch and will appear ingame live to hand out punishment when they are notified.

I find this out the hard way when me and some friends were being spawn camped, so I trained some guards on our attackers (which was agianst the rules)... 10 minutes after the altercation I was visited by a ARK and GM giving me a stern warning.. Trust me I firmly believe that if people get out of hand like they did all the time in WOW, they will find themselfs punished.

As far as AOC being another WOW as far as numbers, I don't think there is anyway in hell that AOC will come close to those numbers...

Blizzard had a huge playerbase with
    Diablo 1 2
    Starcraft
    WarCraft 1-???? (never played it)

All those games sold well over 1 million copies

Funcom has
    The Longest Journey   
    Anarchy Online
    DreamFall

WIth the exception of TLJ I don't think none of those games sold 1 million.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• iduumsiduums Member Posts: 205
    "The industry-standard set by WoW may just be met and exceeded in some ways by AoC, but I don't think any MMO will ever be as successful as WoW has been"

WoW didn't make a industry Standard.  Most people that play wow never played a MMORPG before.  The MMO community is a tight knit community and 3/4 it prolly dont even play WoW.  People who play wow i don't consider people who truely love MMO's, just kids or people drawn by the warcraft name.

WoW is far from innovative.

I would say the industry standard is 500k-800k subs

AOC is a niche community, you wont even come close to WoW's numbers.  WAR might that about it
  • DamarlDamarl Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by dink

I think that Age of Conan will be SORT OF like WoW.

The industry-standard set by WoW may just be met and exceeded in some ways by AoC, but I don't think any MMO will ever be as successful as WoW has been - at least not until the market grows even more.  My guess is that the next game to support that many concurrent users will come from a console MMO that delivers incredible single-player quality gameplay with multiplayer elements  - just because of the larger market base.

However, AoC will be among the next group of PC MMOs that WoW really created the funds for by showing proof, even more than Everquest, that there is a ton of money to be made in the market.  The problem for AoC and the other really awesome-looking AAA MMOs that are coming up (Gods and Heroes, Warhammer Online, etc.) will have to compete with each other AND with WoW. 

A lot of EQ's and WoW's overwhelming successes have been due to the fact that they've just dominated the competition in overall quality (for their time period).  While DAoC and UO were great games, they were the little brothers of EQ much like CoH, Guild Wars, and EQ II are all great games (in their own ways) but don't compare well to WoW (at least to the majority of gamers - I realize that mileage varies between different players).

I'm totally looking forward to this new era.  I'm extremely fond of MMOs and I think that strong competition and several AAA MMORPGs to choose between will broaden the genre and bring us all a ton of fun gameplay.  :)

seriously... if you think AoC will be sort like WoW... you're on the wrong way of the track... the next WoW is WAR.. everyone knows it and im happy with that... all those that first experience MMORPG with WoW will look for somthing alike... and WAR is the same thing.. cartoonish graphic, elf, orc, dwarf..etc.etc.. those who wanna try something different will get on AoC.. but i doubt many will...

WoW may be the biggest MMORPG or all time atm... it was when it first come out.. but most of the player are NEWs players... check on DAOC and ask who tried WoW... on EQ2.. every other games... then ask them why they left... why they came back on the game they were playing before the play WoW... there may be lots of players... many that hav played.. but it doesnt mean the game is a super game... and i relay doubt AoC will be like that... WAR = WoW... they may have new skill system and PvP system.. but at the end its same thing again...

check screenshot and read more on AOC ... you'll understand that there's a big difference between the two games...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Tinybina

Funcom has
    The Longest Journey   
    Anarchy Online
    DreamFall

WIth the exception of TLJ I don't think none of those games sold 1 million.

If Funcom wants a big successful mmo they should make TLJ mmo @__@ Sorry for off topic ^^'

• dinkdink Member Posts: 438

Damarl - I was speaking about WoW's overall quality.  Obviously AoC will not be similar to WoW in gameplay. 

The summary of my statement is:  AoC, along with G&H and WAR, look like they will be as high quality as WoW, but none of them will share WoW's enormous success because there will finally be a lot of AAA quality MMOs for players to choose between.   They'll all be successful - just not wildly successful in the way that WoW has become.
  • DAndersonJRDAndersonJR Member Posts: 4
    I think much of the reason why AoC won't come near the WoW numbers has to do with initial fan base as well.  The original Warcraft and Starcraft titles were huge sellers, and Blizzard did an outstanding job of promoting the game before its release.  Conan, though a recognizable name, is not going to garner the fan base Warcraft did.

I think AoC will be a great niche game.  They will probably consider themselves lucky with an intial subscriber base of 300,000.

• Walleye207Walleye207 Member Posts: 2

Yeah, I'm hoping for a universe closer to the EVE Online style myself.  I haven't played EVE much, but they only have 200-300 thousand subscribers (I think?).  However, I've ghosted around the community and it seems like a really lively bunch.  I'm hoping that the open-endedness of EVE will be present in AoC through the Border Kingdoms and that this will generate a small but active community far different than anything present in WoW.

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250
    wow's community is ass....i pray to god this game isnt another wow.

btw...wow is only popular because A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois...

• iduumsiduums Member Posts: 205

" A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois..."

1.  Warcraft has been around for 10 years or so it's far from a fad.

2.  WoW is as easy as other MMO's, what your definition of easy?  Cleaner interface?

3. Fanbois?  When you have a good series of games for over 10 years, i suggest you would have a fan base.

Blizzard marketed the game great, they appealed the game to the average gamer, and they have a great IP.  That is why WoW is the leader.

I heard rumors of EA making a Harry Potter online.  If that ever happened i guarentee you it would have more subs then WoW.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by iduums

" A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois..."
    1.  Warcraft has been around for 10 years or so it's far from a fad.
    2.  WoW is as easy as other MMO's, what your definition of easy?  Cleaner interface?
    3. Fanbois?  When you have a good series of games for over 10 years, i suggest you would have a fan base.

Blizzard marketed the game great, they appealed the game to the average gamer, and they have a great IP.  That is why WoW is the leader.

I heard rumors of EA making a Harry Potter online.  If that ever happened i guarentee you it would have more subs then WoW.

1. Wow is a big name company game and unfortunately is the most stable thing out there.

2. Yeah it's been around for awhile. Big fricken deal! So has pacman!

3. Yeah it has a fanbase. But what other mmo's have warcraft, starcraft and diablo games backing up the rep!

You can market a game great when you have single/multi mixes like those mentioned above and try your hand at an mmo. Gee! Where'd all the capital come from???

Harry Potter??? For the kiddies lad...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

" A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois..." 1.  Warcraft has been around for 10 years or so it's far from a fad.The Warcraft name itself, no. "Everyone" is playing WOW, so the incentive is to play it too, that is the definition of a fad
    Wrong, when you spend 99% of your fighting time doing quests in which your opponents are exactly 1 level below you. When all of your gear is essentially a predetermined path, with almost zero tradeoffs when choosing. When the skills are even more predefined than gear, with no tradeoffs, or real choices at all. When you can go to sleep after right clicking on an enemy, and fully expect to wake up still alive. I can go on for a long while
    Don't insult the MMORPG genre by suggesting they are all that easy
    Hmm, congratulations on supporting his point.
      Blizzard marketed the game great, they appealed the game to the average gamer, and they have a great IP.  That is why WoW is the leader.   I heard rumors of EA making a Harry Potter online.  If that ever happened i guarentee you it would have more subs then WoW.
    If that ever happens, I guarantee the community will be even worse, and it will be much more despised by the mature gamers out there.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

" A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois..." 1.  Warcraft has been around for 10 years or so it's far from a fad. 2.  WoW is as easy as other MMO's, what your definition of easy?  Cleaner interface? 3. Fanbois?  When you have a good series of games for over 10 years, i suggest you would have a fan base.   Blizzard marketed the game great, they appealed the game to the average gamer, and they have a great IP.  That is why WoW is the leader.   I heard rumors of EA making a Harry Potter online.  If that ever happened i guarentee you it would have more subs then WoW.
    I agree with everything but the Harry Potter comment heh image

Movies and books don't mean a game will be a huge hit.. But having other games that 'did it in a big way' usually doe's.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91
    it won't come close to WoW's numbers. 

in additon to other reasons already mentioned, i don't see the realistic (i.e. non-cutesy) graphics and low fantasy setting being globally popular.  many players seem to look for games with a more "high fantasy" setting and sparkly effects. 

• DradocDradoc Member Posts: 1
    6 million subscribers is a aweful lot of players.  To be able to get half of that at release time would a stupendous achievement.  And a total impossibility.  That is no reason for FC to feel that they have failed either.  WoW has set an amazingly high bar for most sucessful mmo.  Basically if you can get close to 6 million you are sucessful. 

Personally i would like to see a more stable set of servers for AoC's elease  than a sh*tload of subscribers.

Originally posted by Dradoc
    6 million subscribers is a aweful lot of players.  To be able to get half of that at release time would a stupendous achievement.  And a total impossibility.  That is no reason for FC to feel that they have failed either.  WoW has set an amazingly high bar for most sucessful mmo.  Basically if you can get close to 6 million you are sucessful. 

Personally i would like to see a more stable set of servers for AoC's elease  than a sh*tload of subscribers.

Close to six million is the successfull mark huh? Very, very few mmorpgs have broken the one million mark.

Hemingway

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

" A) its a fad B) its easy C) Blizzard fanbois..." 1.  Warcraft has been around for 10 years or so it's far from a fad. 2.  WoW is as easy as other MMO's, what your definition of easy?  Cleaner interface? 3. Fanbois?  When you have a good series of games for over 10 years, i suggest you would have a fan base.   Blizzard marketed the game great, they appealed the game to the average gamer, and they have a great IP.  That is why WoW is the leader.   I heard rumors of EA making a Harry Potter online.  If that ever happened i guarentee you it would have more subs then WoW.
    1) i said wow...not warcraft...wow is a fad...most of the players that play wow have never even played warcraft

2) Wow has a very clean interface...so no...the monotony of  wow...the lack of any real death penalty...

3) Was this actually an arguement or were you agreeing.

and that really goes for your whole statement...were you arguing or agreeing with me that these are the only reasons wow is popular?

• lordabbadonlordabbadon Member Posts: 68
    sure wow is big. but its far from good.
    it has no indeepth concept at all, no storyline.
    ive been playing since beta to this month october. now i have ended my journey there.

the main theme about wow is grinding, if it isnt for items its for honor. there is nothing else. the maps are too small to be of any exploring.

my last guild we raided instanced almost every day just to get items. thats all.
    what if going to be diffrent in BC nothing. a new continent and 2 races and 2 professions nothin much.
    over 1.5 years nothing new came to wow and now they are realeasing this pathetic expansion that only gives more grinding.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Firstly AoC hasn't been in development that long, I would be surprised if its any good.

Secondly people predicted WoW would be a flop, now they predict it doesn't have longevity. As it comes upto its 2nd year with 7 million subscribers (current not total) and an expansion on the cards, couple with the fact that their are many people still playing Diablo 2, can't see WoW going down the pan any time soon.

As for 12 year olds in WoW, sure there is always bad eggs in any batch, but I have seen other games just as bad.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve