Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO II

vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65

Taken from an Ultima Online II Editorial by MMORPG.com Senior Editor Dana Massey

This has been tried several times, but never has the much rumored and anticipated sequel to one of the most beloved MMOs ever made become a reality. The original title has survived the test of time and despite its 2D isometric view and the dozens of games that followed in its footsteps, it still ranks among the largest MMORPGs - in terms of subscribers - on the market.

Unlike most other MMO sequels, there is a real chance to differentiate the two products. A fully 3D game, using cutting edge technology, but set in the world of Ultima could provide a radically different experience than the original product. Given its age, UO cannot possibly hope to compete with the new games. The best case scenario is that UO retains as many of its subscribers for as long as possible. By now, all that is left is the hardcore. Yet, when you consider that a good chunk of MMO players today probably tried UO at some point, the potential for UO2 seems huge.

The downside is that Ultima is an IP familiar only to MMO players and gaming veterans. Nothing has been done in that space for years and it is not a brand likely to draw new gamers into pay-to-play online gaming. Ask the average person on the street what Ultima is and you'll receive a blank look. That said, the same probably could have been said about WarCraft a few years ago.

With the muscle of EA, the talent of Mythic and the need for a top flight, skill-based MMORPG, there is no denying that Ultima Online II may be the top candidate for a new EA Mythic project.

Comments

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    I know that I would play the game for sure.  Sure, it might not be the same as UO is right now. . .but if it has the same mechanics that UO has right now, it would be a FINE success for players and it would definitally draw a bunch of new players in.

I never played EQ until I heard of EQ 2 and the pretty graphics.  Good game and lots of fun, but of course I was spoiled with having UO as my first MMO :D  

But yeah, I think this would be a wonderful idea, if it ever happens that is.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    I loved orginal UO, so yes I would give it a try.  However, they have messed with UO so much since the orginial that IMO the game is tarnished.  Housing for example is rediculous...all open land is covered with houses and allowing players to customize houses makes for stupid, unathentic looking structures that look silly.  Furthermore the 2 seperate worlds that are mirrors of eachother was an easy way out of facing the PvP issue.  I loved UO, don't get me wrong, but as far as the way certain key issues are approached by the UO staff they would have to admit their mistakes and address problems that occured in orginal UO for me to really be a follower.  They probably take this approach because the game is old and they are trying to keep as many interested as possible to milk as much money as possible.  I doubt they are attracted many new customers, however.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    The stuff I was seeing about UO:X looked really good, too bad that got scrapped... A new UO would have to capture the essence of the way UO was around publish 15 to really interest me or anyone I know who was into UO, and I agree at this point the name has faded too far from most gamers minds (at least the ones I know at work and school).

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706
    Only if it wasn't carebear or offered a thirving non-carebear server.  Some of us want something to do besides grind for pixel crack.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• misterfurioumisterfuriou Member Posts: 40
    They could never get it right. Mythic and EA have no clue what UO was. Ea took control and soon began trying to turn UO into Diablo2 and now into WoW. The only Uo2 I would ever play is if someone competent was in charge. UO2 by Mythic and EA would just be a wow clone.

Former UO player searching for something even remotely close to what UO was...

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by misterfuriou
    They could never get it right. Mythic and EA have no clue what UO was. Ea took control and soon began trying to turn UO into Diablo2 and now into WoW. The only Uo2 I would ever play is if someone competent was in charge. UO2 by Mythic and EA would just be a wow clone.

I agree with this guy, an ultima online 2 made by anybody else other than garriot or starr long I would not touch especially after the way EA butchered such a great game with horrible patches. The people that Play UO today are not playing UO that was made by the creator. There playing a combination between Diablo 2 and the sims online.

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    I would try it IF IT WAS ALL NEW, none of this adding patches and 3d graphics on the existing setup!

WHO CARES! NERF the game and come out new, no transfering things and I would try!

It was fun back in Feb 98 when I started and it would take me and 2 or 3 other friends in the Harpy room of covetous to keep it under control. That was FUN!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• FeriasFerias Member Posts: 4
    Hmm I don´t know if I would play a UO II that would be completely coded by some EA Minions. The behavior of this Company would make it difficult for a DevTeam to create such a nice MMORPG like UO was. It could be a UO Clone with better Graphics but it probalbly had no heart. Well, this would be better than nothing.

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Yes, in a heartbeat. UO was my first MMOG, and would love to experience the awe I felt again.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Also in a heartbeat..  IF..

If it had a finely tuned interface and control system like WoW. I don't play WoW anymore, but it had the best control of any MMO I have ever played, and I have played many.

If it was like Pre-T2A/UOR (Felucca only), and it was a direct representation of what Felucca looked like. For example, if you go to Britainia, Moonglow, Magincia, etc, you will already know your way around. The tailor shop, Mage Shop, Blacksmith, etc, are all where they were in UO1, only in 3d. That would be awesome.

And if they maintained the skill system with many, if not all, the origional skills. Maybe with a few tweaks, for example, Dexxors need more attacks than parablow, cuncussion blow, etc.

And yes, theives should be in as well.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Oh yes! If this is done, just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us one or two hardcore 1998 style servers with full PvP anywhere, full looting, etc just like the good old pre-trammel UO! And NO trammel, damn it. If you want carebare servers, fine make em. But give us atleast one or two all fellucia stlye servers and I'd be happy as hell and GLADLY pay $50 for this game and even $20 a month for sure!

Mythic had great fun pvp with DAoC, so I know that that EA/Mythic could do it great if they did it right!

- Zaxx

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by 7Fold
    Originally posted by misterfuriou They could never get it right. Mythic and EA have no clue what UO was. Ea took control and soon began trying to turn UO into Diablo2 and now into WoW. The only Uo2 I would ever play is if someone competent was in charge. UO2 by Mythic and EA would just be a wow clone.

I agree with this guy, an ultima online 2 made by anybody else other than garriot or starr long I would not touch especially after the way EA butchered such a great game with horrible patches. The people that Play UO today are not playing UO that was made by the creator. There playing a combination between Diablo 2 and the sims online.

I also agree. If Richard Garriott had his own company, devs, artists, marketers, etc., I would try it. Any involvement from EA/mythic and you can throw it in the sewer where it belongs.

• INSANEPOOKIEINSANEPOOKIE Member Posts: 11

If EA is in charge of UO2 I would NEVER play it. EA has done horrid things. Hell, they can't even do a decent job in regards to stability with BF2142 (I suppose you can blame DICE too) or the master server.

I am also feeling that the NEWER generation of MMOers are beyond carebear mode. There are not enough players out there that could handle the dymanics of what UO was. I would guess that most of the UOers out there now, that still play have been tainted as well. Carebears are the dominate player base now and for ever shall be. The last time I played UO, to my semi disgust people could insure every single item which prevented their loss if they died from a monster or player. That pushed UO into carebear mode. UO still neato stuff that's better than near all the MMOs out there. Odd, I think. Has any MMO created the ability to customize your house brick by brick?

• INSANEPOOKIEINSANEPOOKIE Member Posts: 11

Here's the trailer for the previous UO2 concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGWBSjHVGI

It'll probably make the ole UOers sad to view it.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by INSANEPOOKIE

Here's the trailer for the previous UO2 concept:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGWBSjHVGI
    It'll probably make the ole UOers sad to view it.

That looked promising.  Shame they ditched it image

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

When they were working on the cancelled version of a sequel, I was really looking forward to it.  It had the right graphics, the right concepts (though I no longer recall them much) and was going to be a major choice.

Of course, they cancelled the project.  Would love to see something new come out.  For the old UO to be so revered (despite its ancient 2D graphics) they must have had something.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by vengeful85

With the muscle of EA, the talent of Mythic and the need for a top flight, skill-based MMORPG, there is no denying that Ultima Online II may be the top candidate for a new EA Mythic project.

This 1-hitted my interest.

• DreadkinDreadkin Member Posts: 12
    I would LOVE another game with similar concepts to UO as it was originally, a skill-based FFA PvP game.

In my opinion, Ever Quest ruined everything by creating a carebear game, but making it very tedious and time consuming to die, get better equipment, level up, etc.  Now people think that if you can loot corpses and kill anyone the game will be TOO HARD.  Well, in UO losing a set of armor was no big deal, dieing had no effect on skills, and the game actually got EASIER the better your character was.  I guess I'm preaching to choir so I'll stop, but yeah, I'd love another game like UO...if its UO2 so be it, if its something else by a different company, so be it as well.

• kpatterson12kpatterson12 Member Posts: 5
    I was pretty sad when they canceled UO II the first time :( I guess it would depend on what they're trying to do that UO now can't do.