Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would make you want to play Stargate Worlds?

RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730
While I am a fan of the shows, I am not that will be enough to make me want to play.
I'd like to throw this out there, and see what would make others want to play this MMO.

As for me, I'd like for them to make the planets very large and fully explorable. Also I would like for them to have a lot of planets, not just a 30-40, but 1-2 hundred.

Comments

• XpheyelXpheyel Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 704

100-200 fully explorable planets... Yeah. Only the area on each planet would have to be the size of a postage stamp in order to make the sheer volume of modeling and texturing possible. Also they'd have to reuse ever texture they ever made ten times over just to keep the size of the game from verging into volumes of memory that have not yet been quantified.

I'm mildly interested, if they come through on making Replicators playable I'll be very interested. Early in the dev cycle, new company. We'll have to wait and see what actually happens.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    Heck just the name Stargate in the title makes me want to play it.

I am not a ST or SW fan, but I am a SG fan.  Woot.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Lots of planets; lots of exploration; lots of discovery; real mission objectives that are story driven and feel like they have a real impact for Earth's survival; a game that makes you want to play for the adventure and not the levels!

I could go on, I'm quite the fanboi for SG, so as long as it's fun, I'm there.

so...

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Just like LoTR.. The ability to explore what I have seen in the TV Shows/Movies.

• TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Good in-game content with a steady player base.

The Sci-Fi genre is really in need of a well put together game which game attract a player base of at least 500k. So how do we do that? I don't have any specific answers but what i do know is that every single MMO i have tried i compare to WoW. And why you might ask? Simply because it's the best implemented game out there. It is extremely intuitive. So simple and straight forward to use that you don't even need the manual to start playing.

A lot of MMOs can learn something from Blizzard. But this alone isn't enough. There has to be some sort of attraction and here are som examples:

City of Heroes
    I believe they have a player base because it is a genre that is so rooted in society. Comic books are most for young men agreed, but the chance to become a super-hero, to be something more that you are, is very appealing.

World of Warcraft
    Fantasy is more so rooted and generally excepted than comics. It's the largest genre and whoever impliments it best get all the customers. It's not a coincidence that WoW is so huge but what boggles me is that it is THAT huge.

The Sims
    Take care of your pets, your friends and your toon. It's like playing in a large virtual doll house. The game addresses everyday issues like romance and work and this appeals to people. We all love dogs or cats so why shouldn't we want to take care of a alternate version of ourself?

So where is sci-fi represented in all this? Well many of you will promptly argue that EVE or SWG are the best games out there and i don't have anything against your opinions. What is apparent however is that these games, in comparison to giants like WoW and Lineage (or perhaps even Guild Wars), do have a very small customer base. So something is clearly wrong, or i should rephrase, all of the sci-fi MMOs lack somthing that the other have. But what?

Let's look at SWG. This is today my all time favorite MMO. Nothing so far has made me feel so, well, good when playing a game. If we compare it to WoW they both have:
    • Fantasy elements
    • Dragons, creatures and any other beings
    • Wizards and magic
    • Worlds to explore
    • A level based system (at least i think SWG has it now?)
    • PvP and PvE
    • Cities and towns
    • Missions or quests
    • A variety of races, classes and professions
    • Player based economy
    • Auction/Market possibilities for you items
    • Guilds or such alike
    These are just some of the similarities and i do agree that many of them are exercised in different ways. My point is however that they are, in the "core game", very alike. Yet WoW has 6.6 million players while SWG has about 150.000 (approx numbers taken from http://mmochart.com). The only conclusion i can come to is that they are implemented in very different ways and that one have more attractive graphics and characters than the other. In regards of imlementation that is certainly true like i mentioned in the beginning.

The two games have different flow to them and this is important. When playing a game i don't want to feel that the game play gets in the way of my in-game development and this is where the intuitive part comes into play. As an example i sometimes hated playing CoH because their chat system was so complicated to use.

Very important is also diversity in game play which almost all MMOs lack. They seem to be aimed at one sort of player and i'm not talking about differences between playing a wizard and a warrior since they are very unlike. The games themselves only seem to be aimed at only character growth and leveling through combat. One of the things i loved about SWG was that they offered players to have important functions that was not related to combat and leveling. You could be a manufacturer, a doctor, a musician or a dancer. All of these had very important functions in for the game but you never needed to go out and kill or slay. You as a player were allowed to play the game in a completely different way than most other MMOs offer. This to me is very appealing.

Well anyway, i've been rambling on long enough.

• DaBar452003DaBar452003 Member Posts: 9

The fact that from what I hear it will be different from all the cookie cutter mmorpgsimage

• GlassrunnerGlassrunner Member Posts: 7
    Personally i think that SG1 was getting boring especially when compared to Atlantis. The game has a level of detail not available in any current mmorpg due to the fact that it will be using the new Unreal 3 engine. Although i will propably not buy the game if i cant fly around in anything and there will need to be motherships. A Plus would be the a ability to destroy stars and planets like the episode where they throw a stargate into star and dial it to the black hole star.imageimageimage

• dunny33dunny33 Member Posts: 141

FPS or third person combat.  None of this turn based point and click crap you see in other MMOs.  Stargate is an action series and deserves to have an action actual skill requirment for combat.

• zalvadorzalvador Member Posts: 29
    I see the title and im hypnotized.. I wanna play the game cause im a big fan of SG-1 ( Haven't seen Stargate Atlantis et. )

• Spectra260Spectra260 Member Posts: 12

I highly agree with dunny33

"FPS or third person combat.  None of this turn based point and click crap you see in other MMOs.  Stargate is an action series and deserves to have an action actual skill requirment for combat."

I would play it if it were a MMOFPS.  I can care less for WOW,ffxi,eq, etc style combat.   Im hopeing its FPS or third person shooter like ghost recon advanced warfighter but I doubt it.  It will proble be horrible like matrix online shooting.

Im curious though how it will be so I will keep checking up on the mod till I find out.   I love stargate I just dont get how its going to work if you cant shoot full auto and take cover.   I cant imagine the game being any good for stargate fans if the combat is lame like most of these mmorpgs out.  I want to be able to aim and run to cover.

If you could just send nukes to other planets thru the stargate for no reason and blow up everyone, that would make me play too :) jk

• SkafeosSkafeos Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Spectra260

I highly agree with dunny33
    "FPS or third person combat.  None of this turn based point and click crap you see in other MMOs.  Stargate is an action series and deserves to have an action actual skill requirment for combat."
    I would play it if it were a MMOFPS.  I can care less for WOW,ffxi,eq, etc style combat.   Im hopeing its FPS or third person shooter like ghost recon advanced warfighter but I doubt it.  It will proble be horrible like matrix online shooting.
    Im curious though how it will be so I will keep checking up on the mod till I find out.   I love stargate I just dont get how its going to work if you cant shoot full auto and take cover.   I cant imagine the game being any good for stargate fans if the combat is lame like most of these mmorpgs out.  I want to be able to aim and run to cover.
    agree... hope this game will be MMOFPS cause if we have to play like MMORPG kinda sucks... FPS or Third person would be great

If you could just send nukes to other planets thru the stargate for no reason and blow up everyone, that would make me play too :) jk

• djkeithdjkeith Member Posts: 1
    i would have to say that if they had the concept of world of warcraft and the graphics of guildwars with the option to PVP or PVE server.  that would be nice.  I also agree, there should be a great number of planets - that is where you would get to see the beauty of them with the guild wars graphics.  as much as i am looking forward to the release of this game, if you can't jump or have large raids to where you have many people running them, done deal - game over for me. no one should really care if the game is month to month play because that would allow us to have server upgrades constantly.  i can't wait to start my new addiction - Stargate Worlds.  w00t!image
  • FaoiteFaoite Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Slntasn
    The ability to explore what I have seen in the TV Shows/Movies.
    That quote rings true for me. As long as I can explore what I've seen in the actual televised version, I'll be hooked for a long long time.

• jojo999jojo999 Member Posts: 6
    just watching every episode of SG1 and SGA makes me intrested in this game!!
  • ProudPartnerProudPartner Member Posts: 24
    Im pretty sure there is going to be lots of different worlds and races to meet.

The Zulu Pirates
    Do or Die
    www.freewebs.com/zulupirates

• balle68balle68 Member Posts: 134

cammo suits, p90s woohoo!!!

Always do the right thing

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Space battles, exploration, character development,  & atmospheric flight.
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    The entire concept of SG MMO sounds awful to me. I just cant imagine how they can form a TV show into a form a regulated pve solo/team gameplay with elements of PVP. Obviously its all going to be instanced.

If its any good, ill believe it when I see it. But ill wait for the free trial to see it

---

• ginsu85ginsu85 Member Posts: 4
    dude the chance to go through the stargate is a once in a life time operuaty u cant pass that up, ive wanted to do it since i first saw the movie.

Ginsu Weaver

• JhooJhoo Member UncommonPosts: 4

For what I have read, it seems like its going to be really team based game (small 2-4 player team, but still). I really hope there will be the ability to play alone too, and definetely explore.

I don't think the several hundreds of planets Ruthgar was hoping for in the first post is going to come true. But about 20 really big planets like in SWG (and hopefully someting like 50+ little instance planets) would be more than great.

Even I'm not a big pvp fan, I must admit that the world of Starg

• ginsu85ginsu85 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with Jhoo i would like there to be a raging war going on and have the chance to be on a small SG team and explore the worlds they have to offer us when the game comes out, fight the gua'ld and even the priers from the new seasons would be great, and having the chance to fight along side the tocra would be wonderful, but since this would be a military based game it would be cool if it was a first-person shooter as well.

Ginsu Weaver

• DylanHuntDylanHunt Member Posts: 8
    It´s Stargate

I hope they develope the game good.
  • kjm2006kjm2006 Member Posts: 90

I think it would be a better 1st person shooter then an MMORPG but if it is done really well, I could see it working. 

POTBS username:yohorumrunner
    Guild:St George Squadron

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

I don't hold out much hope for this game, actually. Big movie/TV IP-based games tend to - for lack of a better term - suck. Especially action type IPs, like Star Wars and Stargate, that you try to reduce to a turn based combat level.

If it turns out to be fun, then I will happily eat my words, but I don't want another SWG level dissapointment.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• shardshard Member Posts: 1

Sooooooo looking forwards to this MMORPG not only am I bored silly with every other MMORPG (Played most of them) but I am an avid SG Atlantis Fan.

What would make me want to play is a game where is much more tactical and less a case of leveling your toon to level stupid so you can raid instances to get phat loot and show off how uber your toon is, Yawn! Please leave the tits and guns mentality where it belongs in games like Halo.

If the game is much more like Guildwars than WoW then I think it will be worthy playing.

I would like so see strict naming conventions in place in the game I can already visualise 20 differing versions (toon wise) of General O'neil/Major Shepard, lots of moral dilemma's in missions to make you think about the consequences of your teams actions. A combat system where you don't just sit and hit 3-4 buttons and hey presto the mobs dead, more of dodging in combat and rolling like DD online than EQII, Lineage etc

Be also nice to be rewarded from missions with rank in the military or the opposing faction.

The option to use Puddle Jumpers and starships than something other than a way of getting from A-B.

Lots and lots of differing worlds to explore in a way Elite manage to give you a mind boggling array of places to visit but without the cookie cutter every place is basically the same just with a different name/skin/npc mentality. Seriously will be gutted if I see the game has a low population of worlds you can visit.

Rather see the theme being based on SG atlantis than the SG1 but I made my case of being a SG Atlantis fan earlier.