Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wings a joke

RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
The game makes a huge deal over wings. Its in ads going on and on about them, but it looks like
they are going to be a 15 month vet reward.
That's fine I guess. I suppose if everyone could get them the lag would be awful.
It just bugs me that the ads give the impression you will get to have wings, but assuming the majority
of players are casual, that's just not going to be the case. What's the point of going on and on about it?
Are there really that many players with 15+ months that will come back or continue to stay for wings?

Comments

• EventideEventide Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I dont know if it will make people come back or continue playing just for the wings, but having played since CoH beta, wings were one of the most popular requests for new costume pieces. Right along with trench coats, kilts and whatnot...  that is why they are making a big deal about it. Plus they look pretty cool in action.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I agree, their marketing approach is fussy at best.  Newcomers will be unhappy when they see all this wing advertisement to find they can't.

It is nice however and I think giving wings as a veterans reward is bright, not for the lag, simply since it is the type of rewards you can give to veterans without shafting new players.  Their marketing should not have put emphasis on wings without precising that it would be for long-term players only (15 months?).  Showing the wings is fine, but it should be clear, in 1 moment, that these are for veterans players.  I don't think that wings alone are enough to justify anyone keeping playing, neither are all the veterans rewards.  However, it is a nice detail that add on other aspects of the game.  And they stack with NEW toons.  So when epic class enter CoV...

The main complains I have is...I want MORE!!!  This is tooo little.    This is very good indeed, when I see only positive, no negative.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    well they are just playing off the yearssss old way we hae looked at things and are going off of that

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
     Have no fear they plan to add Wings in Issue 9 and a non-vetrans item. As such the Vetrans wings are realy a reward for those who have already been around for 15 months like my mom.

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75
    I have played for just over 9 months, i have been waiting for wings since get go! In saying that i am slightly annoyed that i have to wait for an extra 6 months for the wings but i don't mind, it's a good game and i will still be there in 6 months to collect the reward. image

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

The issue isn't about wings, it's about not being able to have something that I can.

I guarantee you had they shown trenchcoats in the ad, a trenchcoat movie and then said trenchcoats were the 15 month reward there would be posts about people complaining they had to wait 15 months for a trenchcoat.

It's a veteran reward, so it's rewarding me for staying with the game for 19 months.  I don't care that I can't get the 21 & 24 month reward yet.  It will come eventually.

This is just like any other business that offers some kind of reward for loyal returning customers.  I got my 11th bagel free because I paid for the first 10, so don't complain you can't get a free bagel too. image

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75
    Great example, lol.

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Well, I will get them but I can't see wings fitting any of my characters conceptually.  Regardless, they look cool.  Just hope they get the flight poses fixed sooner rather than later after that feedback they received on banking animations.
  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Would be nice if they added robotic 'feather' wings like Archangel or just metallic sweep wings like the old Robot anime ( ' :

On the topic of veteran rewards, I'm a bit bummed that the special pre-purchase powers/items are being used as veteran rewards too.  They were sold as "exclusive".

• UglekUglek Member Posts: 22
    While the COX purchase rewards are nice they are nothing more then fluff.  As to wings *shrug* have no plans to have them on my main toon so not really worried over it.
  • DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Exclusive items being sold doesn't bother me really.  Since I preordered CoV I got a special helm to wear on any toon I make.  If someone can get it now, that's fine with me.  After all, I got to wear it for the last year. image

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by DrowNoble

The issue isn't about wings, it's about not being able to have something that I can.
    I guarantee you had they shown trenchcoats in the ad, a trenchcoat movie and then said trenchcoats were the 15 month reward there would be posts about people complaining they had to wait 15 months for a trenchcoat.
    It's a veteran reward, so it's rewarding me for staying with the game for 19 months.  I don't care that I can't get the 21 & 24 month reward yet.  It will come eventually.
    This is just like any other business that offers some kind of reward for loyal returning customers.  I got my 11th bagel free because I paid for the first 10, so don't complain you can't get a free bagel too. image

I was going to reply to the thread, but this post really says it all.   image

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Not that I care all that much but does anyone have an idea on how they are counting the time for the vet rewards?

Does it have to be 15 months consecutively spent with an active account, an account that was activated over 15 months ago but not always active or minimum of one or the other?

I know SOE does it the second way, you have activated an EQ2 account for the first 30 days during release and not gone back for a year and still be able to receive the 1 year vet reward, so in other words the account didn't have to active at all.

• JWD2006JWD2006 Member Posts: 10

it counts the months that the account has been active.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Yes Shae, they only count the months you actually paid for the game. Screw that.

I was going to come back for the wings and other vet rewards as well, but my account is only 10 months old. hahahah only 10 months of paid time! My account is over 2 years old, and I've come back a few times...this could have been a good thing for them, but they mucked it up as usual.

Your game isn't the be all, end all guys. Gotta give ppl more of a reason to start giving you money again. Wake up NcSoft.

Joined - July 2004

• They're just wings, gosh, as long as the game is fun, that's what I care about
  • LughsanLughsan Member Posts: 312

I love my wings and the other goodies I got for my account..

This is a very friendly to casuals game.

• WarWolf95WarWolf95 Member Posts: 5
    I don't like the idea ofl limiting creativity.  I want to create a character with wings, or a samauri, or a anime robot, but I can't because of some artificial limitation?  Screw that!  Oh, and I am getting wings VERY soon, so don't think this is for  MY benefit.
  • joelybjoelyb Member Posts: 10
    I agree that adverting the wings is a letdown but for those whom have been playing this game it's pretty cool. Cooler than the axe anyhow.   COV has done a great job with the Holiday missions and is really cool about treating players with "special" content in my opinion though. Should they advertise wings for new players? Prob not.