Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entertainers

BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
I was reading a post on the official forums. Someone asked what the purpose of entertainers was. The response? There is no purpose. People just enjoy socializing.

Now, I'm fine with people wanting to talk but... that's it? They could do that with any class, in any game. They're paying $15 a month to stand in a room on Mos Eisley and chat? AIM lets you do the same thing for free, minus the strobe lights.

Godd**n. These people could have fun with string. Why not just load up KoToR and talk to the NPCs? At least they know how to spell.

Comments

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Bissrok
    I was reading a post on the official forums. Someone asked what the purpose of entertainers was. The response? There is no purpose. People just enjoy socializing.

Now, I'm fine with people wanting to talk but... that's it? They could do that with any class, in any game. They're paying $15 a month to stand in a room on Mos Eisley and chat? AIM lets you do the same thing for free, minus the strobe lights.

Godd**n. These people could have fun with string. Why not just load up KoToR and talk to the NPCs? At least they know how to spell.

My GF plays as an Ent, and loves it. She gave up on combat, but still enjoys Dancing.

Don't knock them. Just because we don't understand, doesn't make it less fun. Being a good Ent is actually very challenging, and VERY hard. And if they have fun with it, good for them. If you're still playing, I can send you an invite to one of their shows. If you went, you'd be very impressed, it's impressive what creativity can do, even in a horrible game.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    I'm sure some are having fun. But, that's it? They're forced to entertain themselves? That's appealing to a very small amount of people. And since they serve no purpose (going with SOE's idea that the purpose of the game is to kill things and gain uber loot), I'm surprised to see they're still around.

Pre-CU I understood the appeal. The people were worth talking to, you helped people heal wounds, doctors healed your action for XP, and everyone hung out in the cantinas... But now? There were about fifteen people hanging out there, and only two or three were talking. So, I just played music with my glowstick attached to my belt. Got bored after a couple minutes, so I made a macro and Alt Tabbed out.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    I just got a buff from one before that increases my armour related resources by 2% and improves my experimentation chance...seems useful to me?

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by Obraik
    I just got a buff from one before that increases my armour related resources by 2% and improves my experimentation chance...seems useful to me?

Whoopty-effin-doo.

But seriously, lol.

They serve no purpose. They are there to apeal to the social demographic. They are present in every game. These people only care about socialization aspect. In other games they'd level to some extent in a non-combat or non-combat heavy skill that can be applied at leisure.

SWG was unique in that it catered to that crowd in a big way. Now they might as well put the whole entertainer thingy as a talent tree, or better yet as a primary or secondary job, and they wouldn't affect anyone.

I don't craft without one ;)  Without entertainers, BER14 harvestors would not exist...

• FormathorFormathor Member Posts: 53
    Arn't they doing away with harvesters?

Originally posted by Formathor

Nope...

I don't craft without one ;)  Without entertainers, BER14 harvestors would not exist...

Ok, so they provide valuable service. To crafters. Which are next on the extinct list.

Does that justify their existance as a full class? A 2% buff? A freekin 2% buff?

Let's say you want to be a socializer in WoW. They don't have a separate class there. And you do need to do some combat. Very easy combat.

You'd take Herbalism, Alchemy, Cooking and Fishing as your jobs.

That allows you to gather herbs (non-combat, especially if you level to some mid-range), use alchemy to produce potions and elixirs, use cooking to provide food buffs. All resources you need come from what you can gather yourself, and potions/food/drink is only self-applicable buff. As such, they are indespensible for each and every character. While everyone may take those secondaries, many choose not to and go with different lines.

This puts people interested into socialization into world at their own pace. Through campfires or kitches in various inns they are able to assist with their services either in combat or non-combat areas. Those interested in socialization don't need skills to do so. In addition, you see many who don't venture out and spend their entire playtime in cities.

The skills available allow them to not only have part in the world, but to have equal part, despite the combat orientation of WoW. While it does require combat to be more comfortable in higher regions, it does that at a very non-demanding pace, especially with rested xp bonuses, which are very applicable to them.

Anyone who chooses not to put much emphasis on combat still has vast explorable regions to venture to, has full participation in entire trade system, and is able to produce items that benefit every single character out there.

How does this fit in with entertainers, if there are no entertainers in WoW? There aren't, that's right. But this isn't about a "class", it's about a "player". Does SWG offer anything for them? No. A 2% buff for crafters? One single buff for one single class justifies their existance? Yes, they can role-play and they can /dance emote. Unfortunately, every single game out there has /dance emotes. A slightly less lavish ones than SWG, but at least they don't require you to switch entire game for one /dance emote.

Don't want is different from Can not. In WoW, socializers don't want to fight. But they can if they choose to. In SWG entertainers cannot fight. Not even if they wanted to.

SWG is diverse and offers many choices? Sorry, when it comes to traders and ents, SWG has become *THE* most unflexible and unrewarding game there is. Choosing that class puts you out of 98.5% of the game. I'll quote WoW for last time - choosing to be a social player rather than hardcore one DOES NOT limit you in any single way except for the limits you choose.

Why bring up WoW over all this? Because in non-combat areas, WoW has surpassed SWG. Funny, but true. The simplest, most primitive game out there has defeated SWG in it's former trademark.

But please for the love of $DEITY, don't justify entertainers with their a meaningless buff. The reality is, crafting is design in such a way that you never need that buff, and combat is designed in such a way that you don't need xp buff (if they still exist).

The purpose of entertainers in SWG was never their skill bar. It was the game mechanics that directed every other player towards social hubs frequented by entertainers. This caused completely asocial players to mingle with dedicated socializers. It created a mixed social sphere, which apealed to just about every player. While many didn't even realize it, it gave a depth to the game without enforcing it. Those that chose to see only AFK ents and buff bots did so. But why was it so bad to have a choice? There are also people who in a month or two don't leave battlegrounds or pvp zones. Why don't they complain that there's only pvpers in game? Or why doesn't anyone complain that those zones contain only pvpers and are unfriendly to others?

The greatest strength of SWG was how the design brought together people of completely different persuasions. That was what defined it. That was what was killed with CU. But of course, for the "What are camps" "GCW focus" designers that's well above and beyone their grasp.

I'm not denying entertainers could do with more things to do and a more defined role to play...but this isn't something brought on by the NGE but instead the CU.  If you're a competitive crafter though and your opposition is using a crafter buff, then you're going to be needing to get one too if you wish to stay above them.  Each crafting buff also gives a 15% bonus to XP.  Combatants can get an inspiration buff that will increase XP and GCW points by 10%.  No, it's nothing uber, but it's not nothing.

Personally I'd like to see entertainers be able to boost character stats.  Preferably each entertainer would be able to improve on their buffing abilities so they have a reason to keep playing their profession and stand out from other entertainers.

Personally I'd like to see entertainers be able to boost character stats.  Preferably each entertainer would be able to improve on their buffing abilities so they have a reason to keep playing their profession and stand out from other entertainers.

Here's food for thought.

Jedi class is scrapped such as it is.

They get lots of particle effects, but their level is 90 only when in Jedi buildings. The dant jedi ruins, dath temples, obi's house. Everywhere else, they are level 1.

They also get, depending on their alignement, a "Gift of the Force" skill buff, which boosts other players' attributes by 10-20%.

Jedi can engage into duels in designated enclave rooms. Outcome of these duels affects their rating and determines the power of the buff.

Jedi are free to explore the world and partake in exciting adventures (but they'll have to do so at level 1).

Key, starwarsy and iconic features:
    - Jedi are rare, and in hiding
    - They spread their presence through passive support
    - They share wisdom of the Force with those that seek it (the attribute buff)
    - They are preparing to once again rule the universe (the competition to determine who will lead them)

The $60 question here is: Are they an equal class? Are they worthy playing? Do they represent the players in adequate fashion?

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

My question is, what do the ents do when Obraik isn't there to purchase a buff?

Log out?  Why log back on?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If you had to choose, which one of these is the "better" entertainer?

One that is a better/faster buffer?  Or one that is actually entertaining?

Because you know that if all players want are good buffs, they'll get bad entertainment.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Nope...

Actually, they plan to. It was on Helios' changes they were looking to do for the Trader Revamp. They'll be replaced with Harvestor Droids, and they are even thinking of having one that once pulled automaticlt harvests Creature Resources of your choice.

Originally posted by Beatnik59

My question is, what do the ents do when Obraik isn't there to purchase a buff?
    Log out?  Why log back on?

I don't think they have a shortage of people when I'm not there ;)  There's usually a few people getting a buff at the same time as me.  At times when there's only AFK Ents around a que starts to buildup.

Originally posted by MX13

Nope...

Actually, they plan to. It was on Helios' changes they were looking to do for the Trader Revamp. They'll be replaced with Harvestor Droids, and they are even thinking of having one that once pulled automaticlt harvests Creature Resources of your choice.

http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=1134181&query.id=0#M1134181

Originally posted by MX13

Nope...

http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=1134181&query.id=0#M1134181

And?

Read the small text at the bottom of his post...

"Harvesters and factories will probably stay as they are.  I've said too much already.  I hear Cao coming down the hall!"

"Harvesters and factories will probably stay as they are.  I've said too much already.  I hear Cao coming down the hall!"

The CU is here to stay.

FRS will be returning as soon as major bugs are fixed.

The Starter Kit is a mis-print and will be removed.

Originally posted by Rekrul

The CU is here to stay.

I know...but it's gone from "Harvestors and factories will be totally removed" to "Harvestors will be replace by droids and factories will stay the same" to now this "Harvestors and Factories are probably not being changed".  Are they going in reverse now? :P

Originally posted by Rekrul

The CU is here to stay.

I know...but it's gone from "Harvestors and factories will be totally removed" to "Harvestors will be replace by droids and factories will stay the same" to now this "Harvestors and Factories are probably not being changed".  Are they going in reverse now? :P

Props for not being a believe everything Fanboi for once! :P

Oh, and they will reverse it eventually... that's if they get the chance...

Originally posted by Bissrok
    I'm sure some are having fun. But, that's it? They're forced to entertain themselves? That's appealing to a very small amount of people. And since they serve no purpose (going with SOE's idea that the purpose of the game is to kill things and gain uber loot), I'm surprised to see they're still around.

Pre-CU I understood the appeal. The people were worth talking to, you helped people heal wounds, doctors healed your action for XP, and everyone hung out in the cantinas... But now? There were about fifteen people hanging out there, and only two or three were talking. So, I just played music with my glowstick attached to my belt. Got bored after a couple minutes, so I made a macro and Alt Tabbed out.

1) We're all forced to entertain ourselves, it's just madatory in SWG now.

2) They always have. Hardcore Ent's are an interesting breed.

3) They pay, make thier own content, & you don't have to give them content since they have Alts.