Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need to start programming!

I already posted a topic about programming on the correct boards. Unfortunately those boards are dead, so I'm posting this one here. I really want to program an MMOG. I know that this isn't a "Point-and-click" situation, and it will take years of hard work to accomplish. First of all, I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever, though I do know a great deal of knowledge on computers compared to many that are my age.

I wanted to purchase a book earlier today that was called "3D Programming for Teens." I thought, "Wow, this is convienient." However, I didn't have enough money to purchase the book (I only have 5 bucks) and might save up for it. First, I plan to start off with a very simple 3d game that has crappy graphics, but this will just be my test game. As I get better and better at programming, I will continue to work on the same game, but improve the textures, lighting, and overall graphics. Eventually when I get good at making Single-Player 3d game making, I can learn how to make my own MMOG!

I know that in order to make a thee-dimensional game, I must have graphic design, 3D Modeling, and programming knowledge. The only games I have ever created are ones using software called Game Maker, but this was without any tutorials or anything of the sort, therefore my game was a piece of crap.

My questions are:
  • What script do you recommend me using?
  • What kind of photoshop should I use for graphic design?
  • What should I use for 3D Modeling?
  • Should I save up and buy that book? If not, where can I get good information on how to program?
The book comes with a disc that includes a trial of CorelDRAW12, 3ds Max8, and 3d Blitz. If Blitz is a programming language that I should start out with, PLEASE notify me. Thank you for all of your help!

Comments

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    If you want a kind of introduction to making a game/programming and all that aspects then you could try the NWN world editor, the WC3 world editor or maybe the Ryzom ring thing. They aren't very complicated but kind of introduce certain elements to you.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Usually programming, asset development, and concepting are done by different people just because of the sheer amount of work needed.

If you wanna get into programming learn Python since that is starting to pick up steam and has a few already developed applications to work as a middle-ware for games.  Also C,C++,C# are also good to learn.  You probably have to know one of those to work with a game engine.  Lastly you need to learn your net coding as it is very integral for game development.  You should be able to do this after you get a Bachelors, or Masters in Computer Science.  Ohh you also need to know physics as it is very key, once again the reason for a degree in Computer Science.  Pay close attention to how to calculate light rays as it is the source for calculating normal,parallax, and bump maps.

If you are going into asset development learn 3d Studio Max as it is used most throughout the field.  Also you need to practice in photoshop and alot of drawing.  Also there is the music side, but those jobs are hard to get.

There is also Level designing and Lighting Technician.  These jobs are really what segway into concepting.  You should learn a level editor like MilkShape, Unreal, or Torque and be able to create beautiful fun to play levels.  I have no idea why companies look for lighting technicians now, but they do.  I guess you have to have experience with Theater Dressing or something.

If you are going into concepting, learn asset development since no one gets into this part of the field without experience.  You also need strong writing and drawing skills.  In this part you will be writing thousand page design bibles, or hundreds of images for asset developers to look on for reference. 

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Originally posted by opeth313x
    I already posted a topic about programming on the correct boards. Unfortunately those boards are dead, so I'm posting this one here. I really want to program an MMOG. I know that this isn't a "Point-and-click" situation, and it will take years of hard work to accomplish. First of all, I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever, though I do know a great deal of knowledge on computers compared to many that are my age.

I wanted to purchase a book earlier today that was called "3D Programming for Teens." I thought, "Wow, this is convienient." However, I didn't have enough money to purchase the book (I only have 5 bucks) and might save up for it. First, I plan to start off with a very simple 3d game that has crappy graphics, but this will just be my test game. As I get better and better at programming, I will continue to work on the same game, but improve the textures, lighting, and overall graphics. Eventually when I get good at making Single-Player 3d game making, I can learn how to make my own MMOG!

I know that in order to make a thee-dimensional game, I must have graphic design, 3D Modeling, and programming knowledge. The only games I have ever created are ones using software called Game Maker, but this was without any tutorials or anything of the sort, therefore my game was a piece of crap.

My questions are:

What script do you recommend me using?
    What kind of photoshop should I use for graphic design?
    What should I use for 3D Modeling?
    Should I save up and buy that book? If not, where can I get good information on how to program?

The book comes with a disc that includes a trial of CorelDRAW12, 3ds Max8, and 3d Blitz. If Blitz is a programming language that I should start out with, PLEASE notify me. Thank you for all of your help!

All good programs. 3d Blitz is a very simple programming language based on basic. It's got a easy syntax, and has good library of API calls(don't know if this is the proper terms), which should enable you add some easy but good looking 3d effects, such as mirroring on surfaces.

That said, I wouldn't recommend that you continue building on the same game. Being an aspiring game designer(we have 5 year long education for this in Denmark) you would want to plan ahead. What precisely should the game be and about and which features should be implemented. Since there's noway you can know ahead of what capabilies you'll have when through with the book, you can't plan ahead. This will make the game seem very sloppy full of "Hey, we should also have this and that in the game", where it's not properly implement.

I'm confident that you'll make a lot of smaller games during the course of book. When you're done, you should should start designing a game from the scratch.

Oh yeah, and forgot about MMOs. At least for now. Requires a lot knoweldge than 3d programming.