Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the death of swg?

2»

Comments

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by omni40

ive been gone for allmost a, year the NGE drove me away. they took the game i loved and f--- it up. when i tell other gamers about what swg was and all it had going for it , i feel a tug in my heart. i have to ask the mmo community these questions
    1) SWG has it not died yet why. Fanbois who'll play a polished turd as long as it had SW on the side of the box. Also if they give up NGE then LucasArts will be looking to get SWMMO revenue from somewhere else and I doubt SOE want to give up their market share or encourage their rivals.
    2) why are some people still playing that abomination NGE. The Turdpolished market are still playing along with a bunch of kids who want jedi nownownownow!!!
    3) why wont sony roll back to a pre-cu game format. Sony have dumbed the game down to appeal to the lowest common denominator ie. jedi toons, simple rules, less reading, quicker immersion. It's a safe bet in a changing market to go with what's least likely to sell worst. Problem was they dumped a lucrative playerbase and did it for all the wrong reasons and will never go all the way back without lots of firing and apologies, however they can try to sneak pre-cu in through the backdoor but we all know it's pointless and the game is doomed
    4) why are most game shallow with no real depth to them. Lowest common denominator principle, sad but true.

• mt2007mt2007 Member Posts: 17
    i think the hard core elders still have some shred of hope things will go back to the way they were

but seeing as sony as a whole sucks i dont think they ever will  sony not just SOE has to be one of the worst companies ever

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by wolfsaber
    yes ever since this NGE system started 95% of the players left or sold there accounts.. one of these days the rest will wake up an reallize it an just leave on there own time

Ummm, accounts went worthless once the NGE hit from everything I saw.

And I wouldn't say quite 95% but still a very significant number of players.

What exactly should I be waking up and realizing exactly? That one left me alittle blurry.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    If SWG still makes money it only barely does if that.  It's been a year since an expansion...  And the sub base has fallen by more than half.

Ya, I would agree on that estimate of the playerbase as well.

I don't think it's having that many problems making money though. Games make profit with far less subscibers. I would say they aren't making nowhere near the money they thought they would be, twice over now...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

yes ever since this NGE system started 95% of the players left or sold there accounts.. one of these days the rest will wake up an reallize it an just leave on there own time

What exactly should I be waking up and realizing exactly? That one left me alittle blurry.

that swg is dead
  • jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

If SWG still makes money it only barely does if that.  It's been a year since an expansion...  And the sub base has fallen by more than half.

I don't think it's having that many problems making money though. Games make profit with far less subscibers. I would say they aren't making nowhere near the money they thought they would be, twice over now...

I agree.  You have to figure the servers are paid for at this point unless they were leased.  And bandwidth requirements are WAY down.  But then again, bandwidth on that scale is sold with multi-year contract discounts so they might not be able to save money there.  That might explain their recent efforts to host others' games. 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Originally posted by mt2007

that swg is dead

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows
    so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a
    big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.
    With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Inigo Montoya:
    What's that?

Miracle Max: G
    o through his clothes and look for
    loose change.

Originally posted by jrscott

Originally posted by Wildcat84If SWG still makes money it only barely does if that.  It's been a year since an expansion...  And the sub base has fallen by more than half.

I agree.  You have to figure the servers are paid for at this point unless they were leased.  And bandwidth requirements are WAY down.  But then again, bandwidth on that scale is sold with multi-year contract discounts so they might not be able to save money there.  That might explain their recent efforts to host others' games. 

Na, those lines are being shared with atleast Everquest 2 more then likely. And the lines themselbes aren't that drastic of a cost in comparison to the profits.

Insurance, location, and employees are far bigger expenses.

- Scaris

but they still need to feed the hampsters and keep up with its vet bills and shots

Na, those lines are being shared with atleast Everquest 2 more then likely. And the lines themselbes aren't that drastic of a cost in comparison to the profits.
    Insurance, location, and employees are far bigger expenses.

Agreed.  I was just concentrating on the items they were likely wasting the most of as a result of decreased subscribership.

that swg is dead

Dead how exactly? I have fun in it every day I log in. When I stop having fun in it again I will stop paying for it again.

Dead how, number of players? Yep they are way down but there are people in my guild and we have been actively recruiting. I have had no issue with the lower playerbase, the servers are not empty.

Dead figuratively because it's not pre-cu anymore? True, Pre-CU and even the CU was both a hell of alot of fun, great games and a hell of alot more diverse. I miss them too, however LEC holds the rights to everything Star Wars and I don't expect it's going to ever get better as long as they do. And I really want Star Wars gameplay. Like I said, I am having fun, not the fun I used to, but fun is fun.

Other then those 2 I really aren't sure what you are referring too, but I am fairly sure I am awake.

- Scaris

but they still need to feed the hampsters and keep up with its vet bills and shots

Lol! Good one...

- Scaris

Originally posted by mt2007but they still need to feed the hampsters and keep up with its vet bills and shots

No sweat...Helios has this covered.http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/97309

that swg is dead

Dead how exactly? I have fun in it every day I log in. When I stop having fun in it again I will stop paying for it again.

Dead how, number of players? Yep they are way down but there are people in my guild and we have been actively recruiting. I have had no issue with the lower playerbase, the servers are not empty.

Dead figuratively because it's not pre-cu anymore? True, Pre-CU and even the CU was both a hell of alot of fun, great games and a hell of alot more diverse. I miss them too, however LEC holds the rights to everything Star Wars and I don't expect it's going to ever get better as long as they do. And I really want Star Wars gameplay. Like I said, I am having fun, not the fun I used to, but fun is fun.

Other then those 2 I really aren't sure what you are referring too, but I am fairly sure I am awake.

dead like its got cancer/aids/something terminal  with no chance of a cure just a slow painful death  or dead like some vegitable in a hospital bed the body is techniqly alive but that about it

No sweat...Helios has this covered.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/97309

PAGE NO LONGER EXISTS...

This page no longer exists or has moved. We are now routing you to our home page.

PAGE NO LONGER EXISTS...

This page no longer exists or has moved. We are now routing you to our home page.

TRY AGAIN...Dumb Editor mangled the URL

Same, no worky.

- Scaris

dead like its got cancer/aids/something terminal  with no chance of a cure just a slow painful death  or dead like some vegitable in a hospital bed the body is techniqly alive but that about it

Hmm, we do have a guildy that has a factory named "things I found in the vegatable drawer" and another named "things I found growing in the vegetable drawer". Maybe he will know what you are talking about, I will ask him!

;)

- Scaris

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Originally posted by omni40

ive been gone for allmost a, year the NGE drove me away. they took the game i loved and f--- it up. when i tell other gamers about what swg was and all it had going for it , i feel a tug in my heart. i have to ask the mmo community these questions
    1) SWG has it not died yet why
    2) why are some people still playing that abomination NGE
    3) why wont sony roll back to a pre-cu game format
    4) why are most game shallow with no real depth to them.

1.) No idea.

2.) No idea.

3.) When has sony recently made a decent business decision? Sorry to answer your question with a question

4.) Because consumers buy them?

I am playing a crappy game right now just to see the end video cut scene that someone bought me for christmas.  Any basic understand of game mechanics and you can make invincible characters in the game.  The majority of game consumers want generic games set to easy mode.  Sorry but that is the majority. 

MMO games where not designed from the start to appeal to the masses.  The model of mmo games was to appeal to aging gamers with high disposalable income levels looking for high end video game entertainment with never ending stories and content to replace television viewing.  When people started seeing mass market appeal in the genre certain cancers took over this industry.  The mass market game companies.  They saw huge profit potential porting what they do best into the mmo marketplace.  So the standard for mmo's has started to change.  WoW dramatically changed the scale and scope of what was considered a successful US MMO video game and forced other companies to change to the market pressures from the executives and boards of the companies.  What will result is more and more rushed cookie cutter mmo's without anything really different or appealing then a console game.  Thank wow for making mmo's crap. 

MMo's will not appeal to me for a while I am afraid because they are going in the direction I hated about console games.  It is really actually stupid as mmo's lose adult audiences they loose the appeal to the younger generation who will revert to non paying console games thus killing the mmo industry.

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    If you want proof that SWG is dying rapidly look no further than the sudden trial offer.

• TacolaTacola Member CommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by iskareot

I don't know about SWG --
    But WoW just hit the 7 million sub mark
    Will be featured in a upcoming South Park (Which , sorry is pretty cool and not common)
    Has a expansion coming that is pretty big
    Has 183 servers in the UK alone...
    Does not have near the bugs or issues that SWG will ever have
    And get this:  Makes a profit and has to make new servers quite often due to population.

(And all of this means what???)  One is a success as SWG even tries to rip it off daily.. in the end one of these was a wise success for business and people.   One failed in a horrid manner.

Now, Imagine if SWG was this game we were talking about.   Just think about it... SWG that big..

Yeah, and WoW has no diversity in crafting, cartoonish characters, no PC vendors and even less complexity then the current version of SWG.  It ROCKS!! Game such as this is why SWG was changed, their success.  If people want easy play then lets give them easy play.  I played WoW and I will bet most of the 7m subs of WoW have never played SWG.  SWG kept my attention for years , WoW did for months.  But hey, to each his own. 

If you want proof that SWG is dying rapidly look no further than the sudden trial offer.

No one else gives trials? DAoC often gives vets a chance to come back and try for free. Does that make them desperate?

If that is the case why does WoW give a trial at all, why would they want to look desperate?

I am not saying they arent' dieing for subs back but saying that this trial is a desperate attempt is really a stretch and looking at it with spin.

- Scaris