Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, I'm Weak!!

I admit it, I'm a weak gamer. Why you ask? well I've decided to try out SWG again. Being like most of you, an ex-SWG player I was angry with what happened to the game but in my experience of playing a number of different MMORPG's I have not had much fun playing them at all (WoW felt more like Work then fun). So recently on Holiday in Wales I noticed SWG: The Total Experience in a GAME shop and had to get it to experience it again.

I miss camping on Tatooine while Sandstorms travel across the dunes and sitting in my house. True the games got it's problems, but I think I'm willing to try and ignore them to enjoy the game! I remember when I first played SWG and the game had it's probs then. So you can judge me! but I think you will agree that there isn't really anything better out there that I have enjoyed!

Comments

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649
    While you are in there, plaease count the people you meet. On whatever server you decide to play on.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279
    I can see how you feel man.  I've been missing SWG terribly lately.  Been playing WoW ever since I quit SWG back in March this year.  I still speak via email with a guildie who still plays SWG and he says it's even WORSE on server population now then when I left.  When I left I would be lucky to see a half dozen people in a 30 minute session of logging in and traveling to 3-6 planets.  An MMO is not an MMO if you have nobody to play with!
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Should you HAVE to ignore all the problems with a game to enjoy it?

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I just returned to SWG also. I play on Bria and the population is certainly a bit better than when I last returned to the game in May. Around half of my old guild have returned too. The population is obviously not at Pre-CU levels but fairly decent.

At peak hours getting a group together is no problem, hell even when its quiet you will be able to get a group together. Mos Eisley cantina is busy and Theed can be fairly busy most nights too. The PvP has picked-up considerably with Restuss and the new GCW/Faction system.

As for combat - it is much better now, slower (thank god) and target lock makes a hell of a difference. We also have an updated UI which is resizable and movable.

The expertise system is quite well done, at least on my Elder Jedi and Officer, BH seems a bit weak to me and I dont have a Smuggler so I couldnt tell you about that.

I think I am actually back for the duration this time as all the other MMO's (all bloody 9 of them) that I have played since quitting SWG just havent done it for me.

To sum up, its not Pre-CU (unfortunately), but they are definately moving in the right direction, the game is considerably more playable than it was at the launch of the NGE.

I am still pissed-off about what was done to the game and the way it was implemented, but hey things change, life goes on. I'm learning to adapt to the new system and shock-horror - I'm actually having fun! ::::03::

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252
    Its not too late to turn away from the Dark Side guys.  The light is a only a cancel button away.
  • DelzoDelzo Member UncommonPosts: 143
    No one should be judged as weak just because they went back to try SWG again. Many of us (even the most vocal against NGE) have gone back to entertain our curiosity. Not many of us stayed after returning, however.

I'm glad you are finding something to like about the game even though
    it's not the game we purchased. (It's not even the game YOU purchased,
    as "The Total Experience.")

People can post all they want about servers being "busy". I've even seen someone post a screenshot showing maybe 8 people in a cantina as "proof" of busy servers.

Makes me think some of these people did not know how cool busy Saturday afternoons were in Pre-CU. Starports, med centers and cantinas often had so many voice balloons from everyone talking that you could not see the other side of the building.

I don't pity you or consider you weak for going back, but I don't envy you either.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by SaitanMar
    I admit it, I'm a weak gamer. Why you ask? well I've decided to try out SWG again. Being like most of you, an ex-SWG player I was angry with what happened to the game but in my experience of playing a number of different MMORPG's I have not had much fun playing them at all (WoW felt more like Work then fun). So recently on Holiday in Wales I noticed SWG: The Total Experience in a GAME shop and had to get it to experience it again.I miss camping on Tatooine while Sandstorms travel across the dunes and sitting in my house. True the games got it's problems, but I think I'm willing to try and ignore them to enjoy the game! I remember when I first played SWG and the game had it's probs then. So you can judge me! but I think you will agree that there isn't really anything better out there that I have enjoyed!

Welcome back, If you are on Naritus and need any help feel free to look me up.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Better watch out, you'll be flamed by NGE-hating vets and they'll have to create yet another forum for ex-Refugees who have returned but still don't like $OE and Smedley.  Forum multiplicity FTW!!!

On a more serious note, if you enjoy it then by all means go back, that is the point, after all.  I hope you don't, but if you do then you do and you'll still be welcome in the Veteran's Refuge.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

You won't be camping on Tatooine anytime soon. Our friend Helios has made sure of this. I cannot stand that guy. In any case, if you're looking for the old game, it is dead and buried. Do NOT go back into the NGE looking for the old content. You will be disappointed. Everything, and I mean everything, is terribly easy now. TWO Krayt dragons cannot kill a player. That is crazy.

If you are looking for a new game and can get through the myriad quality flaws, then perhaps SWG might pass for a reasonable game. That is, until the first monthly bill comes in. $15 for this? I get unlimited phone service for $25 and it provides about 100x more value for my money. In addition, Guild Wars has no monthly fee and the game is gorgeous, not to mention rock solid.

Any other developer asking for a monthly fee delivers new content and the quality of the games is not disputed. SWG is the ONLY game that has a fee while the game is not yet complete. They openly admit that expertise is coming out in six to eight week intervals. This means $30 before you might see your profession actually work. How dumb of a consumer do you have to be to buy into this?

I am one, and I hate that I am suckered into playing. I cannot let go of the time I spent. I just cannot believe how dumb this company has been, so I keep on paying, despite knowing better. If you have kicked the habit, don't go back. It is NOT worth it if you are looking for the old game. It is NOT there.

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• njdevi66njdevi66 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    I heard this saying from Mortal Kombat.

It goes like this ... Weak Pathetic Fools. Yep that was it.

Enjoy

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443
    And people doubt me when i say SWG's subscription count is on a rise? Tss tss..

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by MrArchy

Better watch out, you'll be flamed by NGE-hating vets and they'll have to create yet another forum for ex-Refugees who have returned but still don't like $OE and Smedley.  Forum multiplicity FTW!!!

I have really struggled with this issue.  Not going back as I would never do that.  What I mean is several of my guildmates have gone back to SWG and posted about it on our forums.  I have essentially kept my mouth shut, as I ultimately think that the right thing to do, but I can't help but feel betrayed by them. 

Certainly, everyone has to make their own decision about whether to go back or not.  But make no mistake, by resubcribing you are helping what SOE did to all of us succed.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by neilh73

I just returned to SWG also. I play on Bria and the population is certainly a bit better than when I last returned to the game in May. Around half of my old guild have returned too. The population is obviously not at Pre-CU levels but fairly decent.
    At peak hours getting a group together is no problem, hell even when its quiet you will be able to get a group together. Mos Eisley cantina is busy and Theed can be fairly busy most nights too. The PvP has picked-up considerably with Restuss and the new GCW/Faction system.
    As for combat - it is much better now, slower (thank god) and target lock makes a hell of a difference. We also have an updated UI which is resizable and movable.
    The expertise system is quite well done, at least on my Elder Jedi and Officer, BH seems a bit weak to me and I dont have a Smuggler so I couldnt tell you about that.
    I think I am actually back for the duration this time as all the other MMO's (all bloody 9 of them) that I have played since quitting SWG just havent done it for me.
    To sum up, its not Pre-CU (unfortunately), but they are definately moving in the right direction, the game is considerably more playable than it was at the launch of the NGE.
    I am still pissed-off about what was done to the game and the way it was implemented, but hey things change, life goes on. I'm learning to adapt to the new system and shock-horror - I'm actually having fun! ::::03::

The sad part is that you return, leave, return, leave --- ALL using hope and thinking that each time it will get better.

There is no right direction at this point is the problem.   10 months later -- this is not a direction, this is damage control.  Too many Jedi, it's free, only 9 classes and no decay, no diversity (Sorry the wow) expertise does not cover it -- that is once again damage control, target lock, damage control -- and still not the same.

All in all I know your desperate and need a fix, but don't forget what it took to get here and what will and can happen overnight.   I guess in a way, I wish I was a forgiving, forgetful and could just not even know what this game was -- maybe if it was titled somthing different and I did not lose a entire friends list it would be eaiser... BUT see, this all depends on LOSS, what you lost the first time around with the NGE... Once my Knight title was gone, Bio engy title and Chef was gone that is when this went sour... To add some kid in a week or two got a Jedi Master Title which at this time pretty much makes sure I would not pay these people again.   It's to bad but I have to use logic to dictate this game and it's future based on history and it's current state as said by the producers and president.

Originally posted by pirrg

Yes.. because one comes, 2 leave.

This is not some 10 month later sub boom --- sorry, you can only add so much fluff.

Let us know when they have to add servers due to population or fix Bria 10 times a week due to overload then come see us.

• OssirisWardOssirisWard Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by pirrg

Pirrg, you're delusional.

To the Op, take it from someone who has rejoined and quit 4 times since the NGE in disgust. You will quit again. It is only a matter of time. It is, YOUR DESTINY!

I feel like a wise old man watching students make the same mistakes over and over and over again....:)

Good Luck!

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    the stuff they added should keep you busy.... for a week or so.

Originally posted by OssirisWard

Originally posted by pirrg And people doubt me when i say SWG's subscription count is on a rise? Tss tss..
    To the Op, take it from someone who has rejoined and quit 4 times since the NGE in disgust. You will quit again. It is only a matter of time. It is, YOUR DESTINY!

I feel like a wise old man watching students make the same mistakes over and over and over again....:)
    Good Luck!

And I came back and stayed. Maybe you just are a very indecisive person? ::::02::

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by pirrg And people doubt me when i say SWG's subscription count is on a rise? Tss tss..

Good Luck!

And I came back and stayed. Maybe you just are a very indecisive person? ::::02::

Lol, no... I would call it having hope.   I too want to just log in and pretend this did not happen to the game.

Sorry but it did.

Originally posted by iskareot
    Lol, no... I would call it having hope.   I too want to just log in and pretend this did not happen to the game.
    Sorry but it did.

Then log in and don't try to pretend it didn't happen.

Sorry for what? I am enjoying myself. You are the one that is not.

- Scaris

Sorry but it did.

Then log in and don't try to pretend it didn't happen.

Sorry for what? I am enjoying myself. You are the one that is not.

My logic and common sense stops me from even thinking that far.   I feel the game in it's current state is not my type of game.    It is to "arcadey" -- Coming from Bria and seeing what the game once was and how it is now is nothing short of sad.

Yes, all you guys say "Well people are not there anymore they are all out grinding" crap is old... I am not that stupid.   I know what it was --- that is the problem.

Also knowing what has been said and what this is called now pretty much did it in for me.   But hey, like I said... I think the products success can speak for itself.   I think it's safe to say this version of the game is done for me.

I just need more, this is pretty much a insult version to me.  -- I guess thats a good description of it now that I think about it.    I know what it was, for this to be pushed on me is more or less a insult of a game.  (But thats me) -- if others think this way I have nothing to do with it.

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I am still pissed-off about what was done to the game and the way it was implemented, but hey things change, life goes on. I'm learning to adapt to the new system and shock-horror - I'm actually having fun!

The sad part is that you return, leave, return, leave --- ALL using hope and thinking that each time it will get better.
    There is no right direction at this point is the problem.   10 months later -- this is not a direction, this is damage control.  Too many Jedi, it's free, only 9 classes and no decay, no diversity (Sorry the wow) expertise does not cover it -- that is once again damage control, target lock, damage control -- and still not the same.
    All in all I know your desperate and need a fix, but don't forget what it took to get here and what will and can happen overnight.   I guess in a way, I wish I was a forgiving, forgetful and could just not even know what this game was -- maybe if it was titled somthing different and I did not lose a entire friends list it would be eaiser... BUT see, this all depends on LOSS, what you lost the first time around with the NGE... Once my Knight title was gone, Bio engy title and Chef was gone that is when this went sour... To add some kid in a week or two got a Jedi Master Title which at this time pretty much makes sure I would not pay these people again.   It's to bad but I have to use logic to dictate this game and it's future based on history and it's current state as said by the producers and president.

I get where you are coming from Isk, but I too lost my title (DJE) along with countless millions of credits that I had spent on CA/AA's for my combat toons, especially my jedi - that jedi combat suit that I built cost around 300M alone. I wasnt much of a crafter, although I also had a chef. I used to have 4 accounts, now I only have 1, all combat toons (Jedi, Officer, BH). As for my friends list, a third of it is yellow again compared to all white when I checked the game out for a month in May.

The point is that all that stuff (apart form the friends list) doesnt matter, its virtual, doesnt really mean anything anyway. So what, I lost some virtual stuff. I know you will say that I also lost a huge chunk of my time, earning these virtual things for them just to be taken away, but, even playing an MMO to the levels that I used to play this in the first place is a huge waste of RL time IMHO, I realise that now. I used to play SWG for ridiculous amounts of time (I was a student at the time), as did you (from your forum-post count on the bria boards, lol, I was a reader, not a poster) and many others. I believe that is why everyone is so bitter about this game - people invested far too much thought, time and energy in the game in the first place and when it was changed it felt like the end of the world.

Well, its not, lol, its a GAME. Things change in RL all the time and we, as people deal with it and adapt every day. It should be no different in a virtual world like SWG. As I am no longer suffering from an SWG addiction and treat the game as such - a GAME, I know that I will never get attached to these virtual baubles again.

The key to all this is that I am having FUN in the game again and that is all that matters. If I wasnt enjoying it - I wouldnt be playing - simple as.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

I am still pissed-off about what was done to the game and the way it was implemented, but hey things change, life goes on. I'm learning to adapt to the new system and shock-horror - I'm actually having fun!

I get where you are coming from Isk, but I too lost my title (DJE) along with countless millions of credits that I had spent on CA/AA's for my combat toons, especially my jedi - that jedi combat suit that I built cost around 300M alone. I wasnt much of a crafter, although I also had a chef. I used to have 4 accounts, now I only have 1, all combat toons (Jedi, Officer, BH). As for my friends list, a third of it is yellow again compared to all white when I checked the game out for a month in May.

The point is that all that stuff (apart form the friends list) doesnt matter, its virtual, doesnt really mean anything anyway. So what, I lost some virtual stuff. I know you will say that I also lost a huge chunk of my time, earning these virtual things for them just to be taken away, but, even playing an MMO to the levels that I used to play this in the first place is a huge waste of RL time IMHO, I realise that now. I used to play SWG for ridiculous amounts of time (I was a student at the time), as did you (from your forum-post count on the bria boards, lol, I was a reader, not a poster) and many others. I believe that is why everyone is so bitter about this game - people invested far too much thought, time and energy in the game in the first place and when it was changed it felt like the end of the world.

Well, its not, lol, its a GAME. Things change in RL all the time and we, as people deal with it and adapt every day. It should be no different in a virtual world like SWG. As I am no longer suffering from an SWG addiction and treat the game as such - a GAME, I know that I will never get attached to these virtual baubles again.

The key to all this is that I am having FUN in the game again and that is all that matters. If I wasnt enjoying it - I wouldnt be playing - simple as.

See I see what your saying but the things that did not matter to you made the game for me, i.e. friends list, guild, city, all of that was part of it for me.  

I won't argue we all may have put to much time or invested to much intrest in the game, that is of course very very possible in the grand scheme of things, but when they take all that away, kept making it basic... in the end I realize that is what I liked, not the easy way... but the harder way or at least the way I Chose.

This is not a matter of adapting, this is a matter of ACCEPTING there is a difference.   This is a step down from what we have, adapting is more so a change in the right direction concept most of the time.  

People should not have to lower thier standards to be able to enjoy a game or play it.   This is the case it would be for me.     Like I was told at the summit meeting by Tim Timmerman (Dev) himself to my face in front of others...   "Mike, ignorance is bliss right now in this game" -----   He was right, no doubt about it.

But see I look at this as a investment of my time... I consider that in any game... does it have value?  Does it or will it be worth it to me...    Well, after hearing and seeing the NGE I can say, it is not for me... orthers maybe, but my time is worth alot more then what the NGE is thats for sure.

I can say that I am in some betas and alphas right now for some games.   I was in the beta of SWG and wow -- did it take a odd turn from what it could have been to this end result.   

I hope that some of the games I am testing right now do NOT change that much... some will be pretty cool if they don't.     We have some things to look forward to in gaming MMOs is my thoughts... SWG is not even in the running with them.

Just don't forget, I was one of the biggest fans if not one of them of SWG... I loved the game it was, not what it has turned into.  (At least I'm not the only one)

Yes, all you guys say "Well people are not there anymore they are all out grinding" crap is old... I am not that stupid.   I know what it was --- that is the problem.

Oh really, when exactly have I said this in regard to the NGE?

- Scaris

• OssirisWardOssirisWard Member Posts: 74

Good Luck!

Nope, I just tried really hard to like it...and the more I played the angrier I became....hit the cancel button, read forums...ok, maybe now it might be better....nope, cancel again, rinse and repeat.

Eventually I realized too much of what I liked about the old game was not there anymore.

Now all my hopes rest on a duck pond .....

• DarthoriousDarthorious Member UncommonPosts: 70

I canceled initially when the CU hit and I lost 2 weeks worth of grinding and items because the server wasn't backed up and the CU crashed the server causing them to rely on a back-up made 2 weeks before the CU was installed and lost all investigation tree's on one of my toons (MBH beforeCU) then it set my combat level to 20 when I got in and everyone else was set at 80 so needless to say I canceled at that time.

Well I tried the NGE and when I say tried it I mean re-uped right after
    it's release and played it for almost 1 year not quite I think it was a
    year once november hit but after 10 months or so I couldn't take it anymore...

Only 4 servers are actually considered populated Bria appears highest and bloodfin comes a close second due to it being an un-official PvP server can't remember what the other 2 were right off hand and it appears the hardcore player base went to 1 of the top 2.

Pop. wise I would see an average of about 6 people total in about an 8 hour time span if I didn't go to PvP.  If I went out to grind xp on mobs I saw 0-1 person in 12 hours of grinding XP or trying for a drop such as the jetpack base or whatever.

Theed in the first month back I would see maybe 10-15 people at the starport PvP'in...When I canceled there was an average of 1-2 people there and no PvP probly due to rest. being a PvP zone now.  But at the same time I would go to Rest. and see about 5-6 people total just standing around waiting for the hand to spawn and no PvP...

I was able to solo every single instance so no need for parties which is a good thing on the lower pop. servers because you're lucky if there's even enough people playing in your area to make a party much less actually want to help you out.

You know it's getting really bad when known credit sellers not only start quiting the game but go to the official boards and flame SOE for killing the game and their profit lol...

When I first started playing the NGE I would find the credit sellers everywhere while trying to level my charecter about 1 month before I quit I couldn't find a single one not even the ones that had a set routine and yes I looked for them to see if they were actually quiting and it appeared they were and then one night they started posting in the forums lol...

I pretty much got everything in the game I ever wanted not once having to group to get it I was able to make about 70-80 mill. credits with just 12 hours of grinding mobs for certain things and was able to do it every single grind session I had.

In other words this game was too easy and really dumbed down alot so much so that I could pretty much beat anyone in PvP when I chose to PvP and guess what?  I thought maybe I was good only to realize that most of the people playing were 7-14 yrs. old, yes I met a 7 year old playing it and he was a class 90 with decent equipment.

Crafters are only usefull for making droped schematics like mando and entertainers well they really have no use at all IMO.

I would call this "Pre-Teen Star Wars Galaxies" because the few adults that do play are usually just there to chat with their guild and talk about what's on TV and ask for the latest news on the Emu.

I ran into every house I could find on the server and all the ones that had public access that ended up being condemend where 61%-62% of the ones I found ya I actually did numbers to find out I was that bored. Out of 483 houses 299 were condemed and I would say another 100 were either mueseums in game or pre-CU houses that hadn't run out of money because I kept thinking "I thought those were extinct?" when I would see some nice pre-cu stuff I wanted to just grab and run out with lol...

Overall this game gets worse and worse.  They released expertise tree's and what did they do?

A month before releasing the first set they took a bunch of stuff away for example Jedi had a 6300 heal and it was nerfed to 5000, along with other nerfs, at that time then everyone started laughing at Jedi on servers and telling them the only thing they could beat was an entertainer if they were lucky.

Then expertise comes out and Jedi get a 10,000 heal of course then non-stop nerf cries from the same people.
    Then BH's and Jedi who have their expertise start crying to Nerf the commando's who don't even have an expertise yet and can be easily killed at range with a gun on any prof. other than trader or entertainer.

At that time I said it's time to cancel not only because of all the commotion and hate tells I would get just for being a Jedi but because after they released the expertise they broke the toolbar so you couldn't fire off specials.

Me with several other vets figured out what was actually causing the rubber band effect to occur and we all could do it on demand so to speak and started a thread telling developers how to fix it and if we were wrong to let us know, of course it was ignored and they kept saying their working on it...

Then several of us (the same vets) realized why the tool bar was not functioning and all of us could dis-able and re-enable are toolbar at will and even knew in depth as to why it was happening and explained it to developers but they had yet to even address the problem and acted like they knew nothing of it even though it was spammed on the boards.  After telling them about it a senator made a post on the board saying no one could yet re-create it so of course we chimmed in with WTH are you talking about? Resent all the info and still nothing was done.

The whole game is just ring-around-the-rosie with the developers.  They try something and in the process are still breaking more things than they are fixing.  Not saying it's their fault for not knowing the original program but you would think they would have released classic servers by now.

As for SWG2 I might try it out but that is a very big might...The NGE has effectivly killed my love for SWG and now everytime I see a light saber I feel like I'm gonna hurl...