Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be another grind party?

Im very positive about Vanguard and I will most likely check it out. I like alot of what I see, especially the resemblance to DAoC. Though my single biggest concern is if this promising product will turn out to be another meaningless grind to reach upper levels. I play WoW now, or did as Im on wow detox now, but what killed me there and what have killed me in every other mmo is the meaningless level grind to reach another pointless level. And no matter how much you grind you can always get ganked, easily.

So, what do you guys think? will leveling be moderate here or are we looking at a archlord like system of massive leveling? I hope not.

Comments

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    - 18.4.4 Should level progression be fast or slow?

Progression should be challenging and rewarding, and therefore certainly take time, that doesn't mean it should feel slow. In other words, more, smaller rewards, more often, could work. Even if the game was designed to take the average player 2 years to max out, or see it all, there ought to be lots of rewards, new items, new skills, etc. 'unlocked' en route.

In other words, grinding like WoW or recent MMORPGs will not be as likely.  The content will be more indepth than just grind to reach new level.  This philosophy will best be demonstrated on release however, if someone chooses to attempt to grind they will probably find themselves distracted often by other content allowing for the game to be more than just a grindfest.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Yes, it will be a massive grind.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Amathe

Yes, it will be a massive grind.

This guy hates Vanguard so take what he says with a grain of salt, or maybe percocet.

I personally think, and hope, that Vanguard will take longer than WoW to level in. I know it won't be fast to get to top level if that's what you're hoping.

For me, it's like that Depeche Mode song. "I'm gonna take my time, I've got all the time in the world." This is quite the be-all end-all game for me and I hope it takes some time.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

It is "grind" only when you don't enjoy doing the activity.

In theory, it could take 1 year to reach level 2 and still not be a grind, while it could take 5 minutes and be 5 minutes of grinding.

As long as you enjoy it, it is not grinding.  Thereby why I request sooo much that there are non-raiding servers, the only activity I really despite...although I am more or less motivated with tradeskills and diplomacy, or soloing...I would kinda enjoy them and do them...but raiding...now that's define grinding at it worst, for me.

See, grinding is a "personnal" definition, it is pretty hard for anyone but you to answer such a question.  For me the old hell-levels and the meditating books in pre-Kunark where not grinding, never where.  I however agree with peoples complaining about books, although personnally, I always tolerate or even enjoy them (it is crazy all the stuff you can do while your toon is meditating, like trying to analyze the class-ratio, the guild progressions and so on, but again, not everyone enjoy doing such researchs...yet in old EQ it was always possible).  For me,  grinding = raiding.  Thereby why I don't want ANY form of raiding been enforced on me, and as soon as raiding grant ANY reward I can't earn another way and that this reward is usefull in other activities I am doing (grouping foremost), I find this aggravating and unacceptable.  For a player like me, remove raiding and you remove all form of grinding...yet, that will not solve it for most players. 

ATM there are no plans for non-raiding servers, so it is indeed a grinding game for me...but the devs can announce a non-raiding server or not at any moment, thereby why I keep looking.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Nitsu62Nitsu62 Member Posts: 97
    I'm sure there will be times you feel like its just a gridfest.  I don't think there are any MMORPGs that don't feel like a grindfest at times... However, Vanguard offers alot of options aside from adventuring, so when you get bored of killing devilish monsters you can take a break and play diplomacy:The card game hahahaha

Current MMO of interest: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    MMO background: EQ, UO, AO, SWG, PS, EQ2, L2,EQoA, WoW, WWIIO, and AC2

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    This is the point were SWG used pwns all other mmos :P

Yeah what I've heard there is going to be much of a grind, and thats good cause you shouldent get higest lvl in two weeks.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Originally posted by Anofalye

It is "grind" only when you don't enjoy doing the activity.

In theory, it could take 1 year to reach level 2 and still not be a grind, while it could take 5 minutes and be 5 minutes of grinding.

oh gosh! take out Ano's usual rant about raiding and I find myself in full agreement.

Im now looking out of my window for four horsemen appearing on the horizon, or perhaps a rain of fish.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Member Posts: 18
    It will be Major Grindfest (I knew him before he got promoted, he was only Captain Grindfest back then).

If I am wrong about this, no one will be happier than I am.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Kazeemia

Im very positive about Vanguard and I will most likely check it out. I like alot of what I see, especially the resemblance to DAoC. Though my single biggest concern is if this promising product will turn out to be another meaningless grind to reach upper levels. I play WoW now, or did as Im on wow detox now, but what killed me there and what have killed me in every other mmo is the meaningless level grind to reach another pointless level. And no matter how much you grind you can always get ganked, easily.
    So, what do you guys think? will leveling be moderate here or are we looking at a archlord like system of massive leveling? I hope not.

I have to say that my opinion is that much of the reason why 'grind' appears is because players are so keen to reach the top level. Take EQ2 compared to EQ for instance. In EQ I took my time (partly because I was a noob) and it never felt like I was 'grinding' through the levels. I always enjoyed what I was doing because I never put any pressure on myself to be the next level too fast.

When the game became a 'grind' was when I started levelling secondary characters and I just wanted to get away from the becomingly deserted spots and get to where I could group. All that frantic rushing through the levels was what became the 'grind'. Same with EQ2. There was something about that game that pushed me to get through levels. I don't think it had the same huge scope of content that EQ had; just a simple progression through zones and that left 'grinding' to be the only thing to do.

I played WoW some time after and, whilst the game did have a great deal more content than EQ2, I still found myself 'grinding' through the levels. It became so that I didn't really enjoy either game and they didn't last long for me.

I said the magic word somewhere in there; content. EQ had it, Vanguard is destined to have it. You have to make use of it though. In EQ2 there wasn't enough and in WoW I didn't use it enough. In EQ I did and I thouroughly enjoyed myself for a huge amount of time.

If a game provides huge amounts of content (a myriad of playable races, a huge world, 3 spheres of advancement, player owned ships and houses etc etc) and you don't use it, resulting in you feeling like you are 'grinding' to level 50, then who is to blame; you or the game?

Take your time, savour the feel and the beauty of Telon, take in some diplomacy and crafting, explore. Most of all don't be too keen to make top level.

As for pace of levelling in Vanguard there has been dev comments, and at least 1 was linked. It will most likely be moderate, but as all 3 spheres are going to be linked you might just find yourself feeling inclined to do a little of all 3, or at least work hard to find someone who can help with all 3. Sigil will also add the invariable timesinks; these aren't just to piss people off and caus ethem to grumble, but each one has it's uses. The more people are slowed down, whether it be by having to travel by foot or by having to shop around by goods, the more they are encouraged to see things they would, otherwise, not see if they were riding on the back of a gryphon or shopping at the local auction house (someone may see a dig at WoW there, but it ain't really...honest...though if you want it to be). That's all good in my mind.

And you won't get ganked in Telon...unless you chose a PvP server...and who knows what the rules will be.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!