Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population

RockshaRocksha Member Posts: 125
I know i saw this somewhere before but i cant seem to find it, about how many people play EQ2?

Comments

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500
    Last figures were about 170k subscriptions.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• PhylicusPhylicus Member Posts: 16

Last I checked, it was more like 240k.  And currently climbing (though I'm sure it will level out after EoF).

There's a site that tracks this, let me see if I can find it....

No, wait, that other guy was right according to this chart.  Though it appears to be slightly outdated:

http://mmogchart.com/

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Eq2's numbers will be low right now, it has stagnated through lack of content, many changes, poor expansions.

You will see a spike when eof comes out and if its actually a decent expansion it might hold this spike for a little bit.  In all honesty if you are thinking about trying eq2 wait till eof release in mid november.  There will be returning players for the new content, more newb level chars becuase of new race.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

EQ2 lost a lot of early subscribers before LU13 because only 1 of the 6 tank classes were viable tanks, only 1 of the 6 healer classes were viable healers and only 1 of the 12 DPS classes were viable damage dealers.  Populations have been steadily climbing since the overhaul of the combat systems in LU13 but are still nowhere near the levels of the first few months after release.  There were some server merges so all the servers are packed, and indeed have had to undergo upgrades to handle the growing populations. 

• RockshaRocksha Member Posts: 125
    actually i already have a character in everquest...only a 21 paladin and was thinking of coming back...i was choosing to go back to FFXI or EQII, i would have to start from scratch again in FFXI because its been so long, and someone said the population in FFXI is on the decline..so i figured i would go to EQII...but now i dont know what to do.....i just dont want to join a dying game..waste my time leveling and then have no one to play with
  • lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by lomiller

EQ2 lost a lot of early subscribers before LU13 because only 1 of the 6 tank classes were viable tanks, only 1 of the 6 healer classes were viable healers and only 1 of the 12 DPS classes were viable damage dealers. 

My monk tanked far better before lu 13 becuase agi was still working, being my monks main stat ............ then for about a month after lu13 my monk had crap for avoidence, then they duct taped it by throwing in a 30% deflection modier.  So thats two tanks. 

Populations have been steadily climbing since the overhaul of the combat systems in LU13 but are still nowhere near the levels of the first few months after release.  There were some server merges so all the servers are packed, and indeed have had to undergo upgrades to handle the growing populations. 

This is all total bs, shamelessly so.  LU13 ran off quite a bit of subs, as did other live updates.  People became tired of thier classes being altered dramatically bimonthly.  Server mergers happened around KoS release, the game was sparse of population so they merged servers ........... ide say about 5 months later the numbers were low again to the point of the last merge numbers.

Servers got upgrades to handle this huge population?  Wow would love to know where you got this information. 

• RockshaRocksha Member Posts: 125

i see an argument coming soon..please do not..but anyways..so basically the game is almost dead or dying now?

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

game has a healthy population and anyone with a current account will tell you that.

There are loads of people on the servers .simple as that.

• JoriJori Member Posts: 130
    I agree with hercules. The population is okay. Not as many players as there was during release, but enough to be able to find people to group with. I suggest joining a guild to insure that you will have people to hunt with later on.

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

Hmm, I play on Nektulos, and if anything find it a bit crowded.   I am in a guild with over 250 accounts (close to 500 members including alts.) and things are going great.  The influx of new and returning players seems quite high lately.  No idea on actual subscription numbers but the gerneral feeling here is that things are on the rise and not a decline.

(this goes for the US servers, I hear that the euro ones are not doing great.)

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by lillin

Originally posted by lomiller

EQ2 lost a lot of early subscribers before LU13 because only 1 of the 6 tank classes were viable tanks, only 1 of the 6 healer classes were viable healers and only 1 of the 12 DPS classes were viable damage dealers. 

My monk tanked far better before lu 13 becuase agi was still working, being my monks main stat ............ then for about a month after lu13 my monk had crap for avoidence, then they duct taped it by throwing in a 30% deflection modier.  So thats two tanks. 

I had a Monk pre LU13 and they are a perfect example of some of the things that were wrong with the game.  

Then, as now, their intended role in the game is to be avoidance tanks with slightly better offence but less in the way of aggro management tools.  Even though they were supposed to be tanks, they were so far behind Guardians that there was no point in ever playing them as such.  

Instead of being tanks, however, they had 2-3 times the damage output of Wizards who where, then as now, supposed to be a pure a DPS class.  Since they were supposed to have the highest damage overall damage output in the game Wizards had almost no defenses, and few other tools to contribute to a group. 

This wasn’t just Wizards mind you, all the scout and mage classes were intended to be DPS classes in one form or another yet Monks provided far superior DPS to any of them (except Warlocks from LU7 – LU13)

So, you were happy with your Tank that had near best in game damage output and a self heal that allowed them to solo a lot of group content with relative ease?  I’m not surprised really but that doesn’t mean it’s any less broken to have a class that can’t really perform its own job but is far and away the better then half the other classes in the game at what is supposed to be their specialty.  

If you were a Guardian, or Templar or a Warlock post LU7 then you could fill your intended role in a group, but none of the 21 other classes could and that’s a lot of unhappy people.  

Populations have been steadily climbing since the overhaul of the combat systems in LU13 but are still nowhere near the levels of the first few months after release.  There were some server merges so all the servers are packed, and indeed have had to undergo upgrades to handle the growing populations. 

This is all total bs, shamelessly so.  LU13 ran off quite a bit of subs, as did other live updates.  People became tired of thier classes being altered dramatically bimonthly.  Server mergers happened around KoS release, the game was sparse of population so they merged servers ........... ide say about 5 months later the numbers were low again to the point of the last merge numbers.

Servers got upgrades to handle this huge population?  Wow would love to know where you got this information. 

First of all, go look at the description SOE provided of all the classes at the time the game was released and look at the classes today.  Except for some comparatively minor balance issues the descriptions from 2 years ago are nearly *exact matches* for what those classes are today.  So, you took the FOTM route and attached yourself to things that were obviously broken and then complain when they get fixed.  Boo-hoo, I’m crying my eyes out.  

Second, anyone who plays the game can tell you every North American PvP and PvE server goes to high load every night.  This occurs even though the hardware from the decommissioned worlds was all rolled back into the existing ones.  These games are not single servers they are clusters consisting of large numbers of servers.  The servers freed up by the merges were put into the remaining PvE farms to increase their capacity and performance, this is well documented.