Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many pets were tamable in SWG?

I really liked this idea but before NGE, when there were CH, how many pets were there to be tamed?

Comments

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    All non-npc creatures that had (baby) spawns except the high-end mobs. Krayt, Gorax, ...

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351
    almost all the creatures you see running around used to spawn babies that CH (or someone with some CH skills) could tame. Pretty neat, huh?

Love, Sodapop

• Coolguy20Coolguy20 Member Posts: 250
    SOE sucks, why did they take out such a great feature?
  • oreyioreyi Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Coolguy20
    I really liked this idea but before NGE, when there were CH, how many pets were there to be tamed?

I used a bio engineered 10k ham durnie to tank Mellichae :)

Good times...

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by oreyi

Good times...

LOL yeah and then there were the BE pets/mounts!!
    Ridiculous that they would remove such cool stuff from the game instead of work to fix it.

SOE tends to take the easy way out...every damn time.

Love, Sodapop

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Rekrul
    All non-npc creatures that had (baby) spawns except the high-end mobs. Krayt, Gorax, ...

Which was like everything except the Krayt at one point wasn't it?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA
    LOL yeah and then there were the BE pets/mounts!! Ridiculous that they would remove such cool stuff from the game instead of work to fix it.

Especially considering how much of a draw it was because there was no other game that did pets so elaboratley. The very high end of UO taming but other then that, there was no other game that could boast about it's pet class like SOE and LEC could.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Fadeus

LOL yeah and then there were the BE pets/mounts!! Ridiculous that they would remove such cool stuff from the game instead of work to fix it.

Especially considering how much of a draw it was because there was no other game that did pets so elaboratley. The very high end of UO taming but other then that, there was no other game that could boast about it's pet class like SOE and LEC could.

Personally, I find it hilarious that games are coming out that have CH type systems, but SOE dropped them. Vanguard has a system for pets & taming, but also has a system where you can tame mounts, even flying ones. It's hilarious that the game that really created what gamers look for with this would be dumb enough to remove it.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Yes, it was silly to remove them. Yes, I understand... balance issues.

But, it has been shown time and again that players *like* pets. Pets are cute, fun, interesting, add a layer of complexity (controlling them) etc.

I wish the developers would stop worrying about uberness and just build what players find fun.

C

• SithPippinSithPippin Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Chessack

But, it has been shown time and again that players *like* pets. Pets are cute, fun, interesting, add a layer of complexity (controlling them) etc.

I wish the developers would stop worrying about uberness and just build what players find fun.

C

Oh they fixed the "balance" issue with CH a loooooooooooooong time ago. Way before JTL was even announced. At first everyone was a CH but then came the great CH nerf and it was harder to find a CH then a Jedi. Well that is a different story but you get what I am saying.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Chessack

C

Well, they're lieing about the balance issue. Officers were just given Full NPC Pets that are no joke, and Smugglers were just given temp pets that heal them. The balance arguement was nothing but a lie.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    They took pets out because they could not figure out how to balance them in NGE. Nor were they really balanced properly for CU.

They were fine before the CU. I played a CH long after the "big nerf" but before the CU, and it was a perfectly reasonable class.

C

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

(starts to cry) I LOST MY BIO ENGENEERED KIMOGUILA!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

There were some wandering mobs with no lairs and no mission spawns. Those didn't have babies.

I'm almost certain there was a type of baz nitches outside of village like that. I think some of yavin and endor creatures were also like that.

But basically any non-NPC could be tamed. Krayts of course never had a (baby) spawn.
  • KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

There were some wandering mobs with no lairs and no mission spawns. Those didn't have babies.

I'm almost certain there was a type of baz nitches outside of village like that. I think some of yavin and endor creatures were also like that.

But basically any non-NPC could be tamed. Krayts of course never had a (baby) spawn.

Actually, many of those did have babies.  The Great Plains Stalker was such a creature (no lairs, no missions, mostly alone).  The trick was to find a GPS and kill it then wait for a respawn.  Sometimes it would be a baby and then the CH could tame it.  It was considered one of the super rare creatures and was heavily sought after by many collector type CHs.

As for those baz nitches, I don't remember what they were called, I think it started with a K, but I could be waaaay off.  You could find wild lairs of those.  I remember finding one lair and I ended up killing just over 20 of those buggers because they kept spawning after I tapped the lair.  I actually nearly died (master ranger/rifle at the time), and had to run away a few times and come back to finish it.  The big reason that I remember it was because I was hunting their meat or hide and I was quite giddy on my guild chat channel when I started counting the numbers.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Good times...

LOL yeah and then there were the BE pets/mounts!!
    Ridiculous that they would remove such cool stuff from the game instead of work to fix it.

Some of the insects did not, bugged the crap out of me.

The one I always wanted back in the day, I had my frenzied Grauls -- BUT I wanted the Gaping Spider Queen Baby -- which sounds fucked up but was real, very very rare and hard to find.

I think I had gotton almost all the pets and made a fortune... I sold mounts for 200k plus when they came out because I tamed so many mounts and had them ready in my inv...

But that spider I never got -- Not the queen... dammit. lol

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

After my first few days of the game being live.. I started dwelving into BE and I really liked it.

I was making good money on crap pets I sold.

I then took that character through various combat roles before I got a second account that I made a BE/Doc.

The first account when I really started making money I was:

CH, BH for LLC tree and I had slicing 1 from smuggler.

At that time you didn't need a lot of CH to control a graul and they had I think medium armor then too.  So you could with slicing 1 slice mission terms have a few pets/bots out and pull nice payout missions.

I mostly did the highest paying npc missions I could find on lok.  Send in Graul then use LLC aoe attack cha-ching.

Then they nerfed payouts.. heh.

Then they removed armor from the graul and started the CH revamps where you needed to fill more boxes

I kept CH (was starting to type tamer cuz I played UO too heh) for a long time on my 1st account.  Played a Smuggler/CH and liked that.

Almost exclusively used BE pets because I had a BE.  Actually most of my time spent in SWG before the CU.. I was harvesting DNA or gathering meats.  I would trash any crap samples I got.. so to get all the types I wanted could take days.

That was experimenting with mixing DNA from various mobs.. and then if the Level was to high going into multi generation resamples to drop the level.  You could get some really interesting results.  Various fun ranged attacks.. knock down pets etc.

I liked using cat skins mostly and like to use pairs of pets.

Oh well so truthfully when they denutted CH the game started to suck for me.. as my BE was the most fun for me and was no reason to make pets once I didn't play a CH.

Altho some friends could get me to make "furniture" pets.

I also made a ton of money selling pet stims.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Good times...

When I finally quit, the bank box of my former CH/BE was still filled with Super Durnies.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    They removed them for the same reason they ruined SWG.

They're complete mouth-breathing mongoloids.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• AmnestieAmnestie Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by iskareot

Originally posted by Coolguy20 I really liked this idea but before NGE, when there were CH, how many pets were there to be tamed?
    Good times...
    The one I always wanted back in the day, I had my frenzied Grauls -- BUT I wanted the Gaping Spider Queen Baby -- which sounds fucked up but was real, very very rare and hard to find.
    I think I had gotton almost all the pets and made a fortune... I sold mounts for 200k plus when they came out because I tamed so many mounts and had them ready in my inv...
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

I had that spider, I named her Charlotte. I had so many people offering me millions and millions of credits to buy her. I turned them all down just because she was so nice to have around, and well, she was my pet and I can't just give away a pet I loved so much. (I was way too attached to my pets in SWG.) I entered her in a pet fight competition once. She beat the pants off of everything. The final fight actually went out of the competition host's house and across the landscape. It was pretty funny watching all the spectators running after the two pets duking it out.

Sad thing was they eventually took out the baby spawns for this spider during one patch (I forget which one) then put it back in at a later patch. That was when they nerfed the pets and their abilities.

[Edited because the stupid quote function didn't work.]

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by Amnestie

Originally posted by iskareot

Originally posted by Coolguy20 I really liked this idea but before NGE, when there were CH, how many pets were there to be tamed?
    Good times...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I had that spider, I named her Charlotte. I had so many people offering me millions and millions of credits to buy her. I turned them all down just because she was so nice to have around, and well, she was my pet and I can't just give away a pet I loved so much. (I was way too attached to my pets in SWG.) I entered her in a pet fight competition once. She beat the pants off of everything. The final fight actually went out of the competition host's house and across the landscape. It was pretty funny watching all the spectators running after the two pets duking it out.

Sad thing was they eventually took out the baby spawns for this spider during one patch (I forget which one) then put it back in at a later patch. That was when they nerfed the pets and their abilities.

[Edited because the stupid quote function didn't work.]

That is right, I was pissed they took it out and like 4 pubns later it came back -- what a waste.

The pet nerf sucked.

IN A WAY -- it could have been a game all it's own... think about it, a game of (as we did call it pokemon) --  In most respects it was in depth and pretty cool back then.

It really was a game within a game back then.    It was being a tamer of Star Wars creatures...man they really just screwed this up.