Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion as to # of characters

StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I was thinking about # of playable characters on a server because this has been debated in the forums before.  I came up with the #3.  I think this would be ideal for those who want to play all 3 spheres of the game.  I feel that having more characters takes away from content because you can essentially become self-sufficient with crafting.  I did this in UO, I had GM tailor, smith, alchy, carpenter ect.  Never had to shop for anything. 

Possibly an unlockable 4 slot after achieving something (just an idea).

Yeah, 3 seems ideal......what do you think?

Comments

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Nothing has been said about this, but if they were to allow multiple characters per server it creates a real problem with housing and other capped systems. VSoH is particularly vunerable to these issues, but the trade off is worth it IMO.

More than likely, there will be a 2-8 toon cap, but on different servers each (just a guess). If they did allow multiple toons per server, I'd guess they'd cap it off at 1 per Cont.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I'm willing to bet that there will be a RP server where you can have only one character on that server. but other than that i think they will probably allow 6-8 characters per server if not more.

ofcource this is pure speculation, but just call it a hunch. ::::19::

i don't know if having multiple toons just to have every crafting type will be that bad. i think if it is as difficult to max a crafting sphere as it is the adventuring sphere then i don't have a problem with it.

i think if you spend the time to level up all those toons to get access to multiple crafting spheres then you probably deserve it lol.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I dont' think it would be that complicated to allow more than 1 toon per server.  I think 6-8 is way too many toons (seems like something you'd do in WoW because you get bored with main).  5 is a good #, but I'm still impartial to 3. 

I know it seems like a petty issue, but I put a lot of weight in this decision because I like to role play and spend a lot of time with my main character and it makes the game more fun oppose to when 1 player controls 8 different toons on your server.  It is more fun to play on the same server too, I dont' want to have to create my diplomate toon on a server where I dont' know anyone, that's just sad as far as RP content.  I don't know maybe I'm nuts

Originally posted by Stellos
    I dont' think it would be that complicated to allow more than 1 toon per server.  I think 6-8 is way too many toons (seems like something you'd do in WoW because you get bored with main).  5 is a good #, but I'm still impartial to 3. 
    I know it seems like a petty issue, but I put a lot of weight in this decision because I like to role play and spend a lot of time with my main character and it makes the game more fun oppose to when 1 player controls 8 different toons on your server.  It is more fun to play on the same server too, I dont' want to have to create my diplomate toon on a server where I dont' know anyone, that's just sad as far as RP content.  I don't know maybe I'm nuts image

no, i see your point totally i don't think your nuts ::::02::. again i think a rp server will have that feature where you can have only one character, i think it is a must for a rp server.

the reason i say it will probably be 6-8 on regular servers is i think i read that is how it is in beta and not only that, that is how it was in eq1.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    I might get flamed for this, but I think each player should be allowed only one character per server per account.  For one thing, it eliminates the possibility of twinking.  And also, I think it lets you get into the role playing aspects of that character more thoroughly.  If you need to create a new character, simple go to a different server.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Sigil said at the SD Vanguard they are leaning to going with between 6-8 characters per server with an unlimited amount of charactewrs across all servers.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    I read somewhere that they are looking into a system where you can send items between characters, but I dont think they have finalised it yet. Maybe I read it on Silkyvenom.

Originally posted by Stellos

I know it seems like a petty issue, but I put a lot of weight in this decision because I like to role play and spend a lot of time with my main character and it makes the game more fun oppose to when 1 player controls 8 different toons on your server.  It is more fun to play on the same server too, I dont' want to have to create my diplomate toon on a server where I dont' know anyone, that's just sad as far as RP content.  I don't know maybe I'm nuts

It's not about it being complicated, it's about the other world systems. For example, every House footprint is already defined, and the max houses a player can have is 1 (a very smart change IMO, coming from SWG sprawl). So if each toon gets one house, and there are, lets say 15000 slots (5000 on each cont) then player 15001 may not get a house at all. If each player got 3 toons, it may mean that player 5001 doesn't get a house. No one knows how many housing spaces there will be, but with every toon added per server, you start to cut the number of players who will get a house about in half.

On top of that, if you allow more than 1 toon per server, you run into the city-grab issue. 2-5 People (or how every many it would take) would create as many toons as allowed and grab a player town spot taking up all of the space around it. And believe me, there are guilds that would split up and do this to grab as many Player City Spots and house Spots as possible in order to corner the market on them. There's also the same issue over multiple servers if you can create as many toons on as many servers you like. Those that come from SWG know what I mean, this would happen.

As far as making a Diplomat, your main toon can also be a Diplomat. If anything, it may say you a ton of time and effort to do that. Every toon can persue all three spheres to whatever level they choose.

Regardless, there will be a cap of some sort, but only Sigil knows the plan.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

8 toons per server, just like in EQ please. With RP servers of one toon each. I need my alts if I'm going to play for any length of time.

The 4 toon thing actually killed EQ2 for me. I just got sick of deleting characters so I could play a new alt. If they only give us 4 it will definitely lessen the total amount of time I play Vanguard. If I didn't get 8 alts in EQ I wouldnt have been able to create my beastlord. My Beastlord ended up being my main because it was so fun. So instead of playing 3 years I probably would have played about 8 months.

Think about it, Bradley.

Originally posted by anarchyart

8 toons per server, just like in EQ please.

Won't happen, just because of the math.

Currently, they've said they expect to try to push the final Beta (5 I think) towards the end to 3k to 5k testers online at once. At 3k players at 20% of total players online at peak times (a low estimate) that would put the server total to around 15k players per server. Now, that may be low, but it's a good starting point.

At 15k players per server, that would equal:

• 1 Toon = 15k housing
    • 2 Toons = 30k housing
    • 3 Toons = 45k housing
    • 4 Toons = 60k housing
    • 8 Toons = 120k housing

Now that said, there are a ton a variables, but the numbers are fairly clear. The design of the game just can't handle taht many Toons per server, although, it may be able to handle a couple per server. Add into that the Caravan system & Fellowship system, and the game focus seems to be focused on encouraging players to focus on 1 or 2 toons. Basiclly, being an open world with housing & player city systems, you're limited to the number of toons you can have space for.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Originally posted by MX13

Add into that the Caravan system & Fellowship system, and the game focus seems to be focused on encouraging players to focus on 1 or 2 toons.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Well that is good news as far as I'm concerned.  As I said in my earlier post, I'm all for one character per server.  Hooray for limited housing.

I'm familiar with the caravan system, but haven't heard of the fellowship system yet.  Care to fill me in on that?

Originally posted by Zindaihas

Well that is good news as far as I'm concerned.  As I said in my earlier post, I'm all for one character per server.  Hooray for limited housing.

I'm familiar with the caravan system, but haven't heard of the fellowship system yet.  Care to fill me in on that?

Basiclly, it allows close friends to share general XP so they can stay near the same LVL, even when offline. My Guild is absolutly THRILLED with this concept...

You can find a lot more here.

- 4.16 What is this Fellowship system?

The general idea is that there are some people who have close friends they want to group with but also have different amounts of time they can commit to playing an MMOG. The Fellowship system is for these people to whom staying together is so important that they will sacrifice some of their own experience to give to these close friends so they *can* stay relatively together in terms of level. Bottom line for me is that as long as someone is earning the exp, I don't mind it shared in a controlled manner (e.g. mindful of potential exploits) and such that there's no 'free lunch'.

That said, I realize it's a controversial subject. We'll mess with it in beta and if it's something that just doesn't pan out, we'll pull it (though I have high hopes for it).

A group of friends would form a persistent social construct called a Fellowship. Then, say there were 3 in the Fellowship, but only 2 were logged on, a percentage of the exp earned by the 2 would go to the third such that his level was kept at or near his 2 friends. There's no free lunch, because the people online earning exp end up having to earn the exp for themselves and the offline person.

We plan on experimenting with this system (and other ideas involving offline advancement) in beta.
    (This answer is courtesy of Silky Venom)

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

It's not about it being complicated, it's about the other world systems. For example, every House footprint is already defined, and the max houses a player can have is 1 (a very smart change IMO, coming from SWG sprawl). So if each toon gets one house, and there are, lets say 15000 slots (5000 on each cont) then player 15001 may not get a house at all. If each player got 3 toons, it may mean that player 5001 doesn't get a house. No one knows how many housing spaces there will be, but with every toon added per server, you start to cut the number of players who will get a house about in half.
    On top of that, if you allow more than 1 toon per server, you run into the city-grab issue. 2-5 People (or how every many it would take) would create as many toons as allowed and grab a player town spot taking up all of the space around it. And believe me, there are guilds that would split up and do this to grab as many Player City Spots and house Spots as possible in order to corner the market on them. There's also the same issue over multiple servers if you can create as many toons on as many servers you like. Those that come from SWG know what I mean, this would happen.
    As far as making a Diplomat, your main toon can also be a Diplomat. If anything, it may say you a ton of time and effort to do that. Every toon can persue all three spheres to whatever level they choose.
    Regardless, there will be a cap of some sort, but only Sigil knows the plan.

I thought I read someplace that they were planning on doing a cap on housing plots based on your account, but not characters.  Basically meaning that you might have 6-8 characters on a server, but you still only get x number of housing plots.  What x is hasn't been determined yet.

This would seem to negate the possibility of someone "grabbing" up a bunch of housing plots just because they created a bunch of characters.  This way a player would have to decide which toon(s) they wanted to have a housing plot(s) and how much to devote to each one.  While someone with just one character would have access to all the plots allowed them for just their one character.

I thought they mentioned something along the line of: a starter or simple house might take 1 plot and then you could upgrade your house from there.  A medium house might take 2 and a large house 3 or 4.  So, a person with multiple characters could still have a house for most of their characters, but they would have to settle for smaller houses.  A player with just one character would be able to acquire the largest type of house since they are dedicating all their plots to just one character.

I'll see if I can find a quote about that, or if someone else remembers anything along those lines post it as well.  Or perhaps Aradune might visit and clear it up for us. 
  • GrestehGresteh Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by Zindaihas
    I might get flamed for this, but I think each player should be allowed only one character per server per account.  For one thing, it eliminates the possibility of twinking.  And also, I think it lets you get into the role playing aspects of that character more thoroughly.  If you need to create a new character, simple go to a different server.

Vanguard is not only going to allow twinking, it's going to encourage it, the alters of high level players will be able to use higher level items than normal players to encourage replayability.

Im 100% certain that sigil is going to allow more than 1 character per server, probably between 6 and 8, but only one house per account.

Unless they limit you to 1 house per server or account like in UO.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244
    One character per account, period.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    8 chars per server

Unless they limit you to 1 house per server or account like in UO.

You and Dragonace are correct, but I doubt they would. Think about it... every race starts the game in a different place... that would mean that all of your toons would have only one house on one Cont, even if they were spread around all 3 Conts... that would REALLY bite when it came to storage, sharing or socialization... and I have 10 maxed filled houses with 3 toons on Galaxies, plus Guild halls... and 8 toons would have to share one house?

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

You and Dragonace are correct, but I doubt they would. Think about it... every race starts the game in a different place... that would mean that all of your toons would have only one house on one Cont, even if they were spread around all 3 Conts... that would REALLY bite when it came to storage, sharing or socialization... and I have 10 maxed filled houses with 3 toons on Galaxies, plus Guild halls... and 8 toons would have to share one house?

Not necessarily just 1 house.  But shared housing plots.  You get the same number of housing plots that every other account on the server does.  If you decide to allocate your plots amongst all your toons - up to the server max.  Then yes, you will have a problem.  But, you still are given the same amount as every other account.

I see this as the best answer to their problem, and it also gives the most flexibility.   It's all about choice.  You just have to decide how to allocate your allotment of plots. 

Silky Venom FAQ on housing

Some snipets from the above link:

"You'll relinquish your house and plot to make room for up and coming
    players (which is part of the plan to deal with housing sprawls, though
    the world is HUGE). There will also be upkeeps on buildings, so no
    logging off and re-appearing 6 months later to find your house still
    there -- it won't be."
    Source: Aradune Mithara

"Now this is the key part: the areas we allow you to build that are near
    lucrative sites (dungeons, harvesting areas, etc.) offer more reward
    and therefore also more risk. As an extreme example, let's say you find
    a dragon's lair and plan on raiding it for the next couple of weeks
    because it's just full of phat lewtz. So you and your guildmates decide
    to build a small player run town as near to this lair as zoning allows.
    Convenient, yes? But you're also far from civilization and it's
    dangerous out there in the frontier. So wandering, aggro NPCs will be
    much more numerous. Heck, dragon guards may fly routes that crisscross
    the area. That's not just dangerous for you and your party while you're
    online -- they will also attack your buildings whether you're online or
    not if they happen to notice them.

So you coordinate with your guild and try to keep people online to
    guard your buildings because if they're destroyed it's costly to have
    them repaired. And then you can also hire NPCs to guard your houses
    too, such that they are defended even if you and your guildmates aren't
    online.

One important message here is that one shouldn't necessarily look at
    player built buildings as permanent like in other MMOGs. It is more
    likely that as you progress through the world and level up that you'll
    want to move your base of operations closer to regions that are level
    appropriate. Then, when you're done with that area (levelled passed it,
    or just tired of the area and ready to move on), you'll delete these
    buildings and re-establish a base of operations elsewhere.

Lastly, though, keep in mind that this isn't all that building player
    towns is all about. You may very well also want to own buildings in
    safer areas for social or other reasons. And that's encouraged too, and
    given that they're in safer areas, it's much less likely that the
    buildings will be attacked because they're not built in hostile
    regions."
    Source: Aradune Mithara

Originally posted by dragonace

Not necessarily just 1 house.  But shared housing plots.  You get the same number of housing plots that every other account on the server does.  If you decide to allocate your plots amongst all your toons - up to the server max.  Then yes, you will have a problem.  But, you still are given the same amount as every other account.

I see this as the best answer to their problem, and it also gives the most flexibility.   It's all about choice.  You just have to decide how to allocate your allotment of plots. 

Silky Venom FAQ on housing

Some snipets from the above link:

Excellent points all, but they don't acknowledge the variance in the number of toons per account. Even at 2 toons, the minimum I'd estimate the pop per server would be 15k / 30k houses... that's not including non-housing buildings... does anyone think there are 30k + housing plots? I mean, the game is big, but is it that big? Even at 15k, that's a LOT of space for houses, even in a huge world....

But great info... thoughts?

• CooktasticoCooktastico Member Posts: 599
    I agree with 3 chars per server. If you need more than that, some part of the game is causing you to lose interest and start over.

Originally posted by Cooktastico
    I agree with 3 chars per server. If you need more than that, some part of the game is causing you to lose interest and start over.

Not true. I tried every class in EQ and the last class, beastlord, ended up being a character I played for over 2 years. I need to try out all the classes and 3 characters is not enough and would be a deal breaker for me even getting Vanguard. If they chince out on alts I won't bother buying Vanguard and won't hate them a bit, but  I can't handle that stuff. Gimme some alts for petes sake.

Originally posted by Cooktastico I agree with 3 chars per server. If you need more than that, some part of the game is causing you to lose interest and start over.
    Not true. I tried every class in EQ and the last class, beastlord, ended up being a character I played for over 2 years. I need to try out all the classes and 3 characters is not enough and would be a deal breaker for me even getting Vanguard. If they chince out on alts I won't bother buying Vanguard and won't hate them a bit, but  I can't handle that stuff. Gimme some alts for petes sake.

good points, and BTW beastlords ruled in EQ...almost as much as shamans. ::::33::

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

I dont like the system where you can have your second char as a crafter and give everything you make to your main character, that aint building a world economy : /

So i think if shops etc is going to work it has to be 1 char/server

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

Originally posted by Trubaduren

I dont like the system where you can have your second char as a crafter and give everything you make to your main character, that aint building a world economy : /
    So i think if shops etc is going to work it has to be 1 char/server

Just to be clear for everyone: A common misconception is that your main toon can not be as good a crafter as a second toon. In actuallity, it's the opposite. Your main toon will make a BETTER crafter than a dedicated Crafting Alt, fo the simple reasons that 1) some special items need to be crafted at special places guarded by MOBS, 2) when harvesting the materials you need you may be attacked & 3) some recipes are learned by traveling to another location, something more easily done with a good combat toon.

This is NOT a game where you need to have a Dedicated Crafter toon.